The "Bacon Race" Theater / Patio / Bar Project - Page 49 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1441 of 2565 Old 05-31-2012, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
That's like asking if anyone wants more money!

OF COURSE there will be interest! Everyone stands around the bar anyway. You DO have bar, don't you?

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 2565 Old 05-31-2012, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797 View Post

That's like asking if anyone wants more money!

OF COURSE there will be interest! Everyone stands around the bar anyway. You DO have bar, don't you?

Err um... no it's behind the movie room and not finished yet. It's sort of my odd building materials storage space, instead of my alcohol storage space
post #1443 of 2565 Old 05-31-2012, 09:00 AM
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon View Post

So I finally got an email from a guy at Axiom's plant and he says my subs should ship out by tomorrow. Once everything is finally put back together and working, would anyone have any interest in a NOVA "come see my theater" type of thing? Keep in mind I only have 7 "seats" and stuff but if there is interest we could coordinate something offline. No idea when yet.

i would love to see it, jeff has been by my house and recommended seeing yours so if you have room count me in
post #1444 of 2565 Old 05-31-2012, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Knowing THIS group, if you have a plank and a couple of sawhorses, you have a bar!

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #1445 of 2565 Old 05-31-2012, 09:32 AM

Liked: 10
I live close by, on the other end of Hoadly Road. Count me in. I have a trailer, so if you need help moving some stuff to the dump, I'd be happy to help.
post #1446 of 2565 Old 06-01-2012, 04:08 PM

Liked: 14
Aww man.... I literally JUST finished building the rear boxes for my stage and I came here to look at the two front boxes of your stage on page 5 and none of the pictures are showing up now.

Guess its time for a break or soldier on with my memory and a grainy Google image cache pic. Hmmmmmm.....
post #1447 of 2565 Old 06-01-2012, 04:27 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked: 740
ALL my photos are MIA at the moment.

Update, after a few anxious moments they all appear to be back. Someone must have spilled their coffee on a server.
post #1448 of 2565 Old 06-02-2012, 06:53 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

ALL my photos are MIA at the moment.

Update, after a few anxious moments they all appear to be back. Someone must have spilled their coffee on a server.

All good. My back was killing me so I called it a night and picked it back up today. Got everything framed and the sand and lid are on deck for tomorrow.

1. Did you do a 1.5" lip or 2" on this stage that I have shamelessly stolen?
2. Did you bother using a roundover on the edge? Seems like the padding could just be pulled over and under the edge, making it more rounded and serving the same purpose minus the fine saw dust all over my basement (again).

Thanks!
post #1449 of 2565 Old 06-02-2012, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:

BIG to the rescue! After months of it sitting around my house, I thought it could find a better home. Who knows, even if BIG takes it, it could end up in your house when you hire him to help you! (HINT HINT)

Hopefully that would mean me.....
Quote:

So I finally got an email from a guy at Axiom's plant and he says my subs should ship out by tomorrow. Once everything is finally put back together and working, would anyone have any interest in a NOVA "come see my theater" type of thing? Keep in mind I only have 7 "seats" and stuff but if there is interest we could coordinate something offline. No idea when yet.

I'll be the first in line on any Sunday!
post #1450 of 2565 Old 06-03-2012, 06:16 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

UA, I like to use a round over as I believe that while you can wrap carpet around a square edge, having it rounded makes it easier and I suspect would extend carpet life. This would be more important on the riser obviously.
post #1451 of 2565 Old 06-03-2012, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 222
I agree with Big. Round it over and never worry about it. The unfinished edge will start to rub and cut through over time, even if only occasionally "touched". Even rounded over edges will wear through if used enough (high traffic areas on a riser if the edge is carpetted). My installers definitely liked the rounded over edge to work with too and it looks more finished. I've seen pictures of some padding and carpet wrapped risers with non-rounded over edges and they didn't look as nice as others that were rounded. I think that it took me 20 minutes to round over the top and bottom edges of my "island" riser is all. Mine sort of floats in the middle of the back of my room so it had 4 sides, top and bottom, that needed rounded. Well worth the small amount of time to do it and clean up the router created wood dust/bits...
post #1452 of 2565 Old 06-04-2012, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It's Monday.

I'm tired.

Still don't have my subs and have been without a functional movie room since April!
post #1453 of 2565 Old 06-04-2012, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's Monday.

I'm tired.

Still don't have my subs and have been without a functional movie room since April!

Monday sucks and so does not being able to use your room....errr

post #1454 of 2565 Old 06-04-2012, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

It's Monday.

I'm tired.

..and I thought I was having a bad day!

Chris

"It hurts to admit when you make mistakes - but when they are big enough, the pain only lasts a second."
--Despair, Inc. "Regret"

My AviaTrix TM Build
post #1455 of 2565 Old 06-04-2012, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

Axiom is located in the heart of Ontario cottage country. Even though they "say" that it got sent out last week, the package likely got left at the local Beer Store in preperation for the weekend. I'm sure someone will find it and put it into the mail eventually... Of course mail and courrier is also much slower up there with the laid back lifestyle. You'll likely get it sometime after the Labour Day long weekend.
post #1456 of 2565 Old 06-06-2012, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by advertguy2 View Post

Axiom is located in the heart of Ontario cottage country. Even though they "say" that it got sent out last week, the package likely got left at the local Beer Store in preperation for the weekend. I'm sure someone will find it and put it into the mail eventually... Of course mail and courrier is also much slower up there with the laid back lifestyle. You'll likely get it sometime after the Labour Day long weekend.

Well, you were right! It didn't ship out on Friday. It did however ship out yesterday, and I finally got a tracking number. I cannot wait to get my theater put back together!
post #1457 of 2565 Old 06-07-2012, 09:01 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Can someone send me the link to Sandman/Reuben build that I keep hearing about. I could not find it.....thanks.
post #1458 of 2565 Old 06-07-2012, 09:24 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

go to the list of threads in this section of the forum, click on views, it will be #1,
post #1459 of 2565 Old 06-10-2012, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Got my subs back! Finally got them behind the screen and the screen re-mounted and went to calibrate and was having a hell of time. So the preface of this story is... when I sent my amps back to Axiom, not only did they resolve the problem, they updated the amps to the latest version with all of the other issues/firmware/upgrades of the most recent versions. Thus, the entire back panel was different than the previous version I used to have.... now back to the story.... I Kept seeing "Noise error .. " when I was doing the Audessey calibration... even though the room was dead silent. Turned out there is no longer a "direct" setting to let the AMP handle the frequency crossover, and I finally found where it said to turn the crossover to its highest setting. This solved the problem and the configuration went smoothly. All is well in the world and I am happy to have my theater back online!
post #1460 of 2565 Old 06-12-2012, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

COLUMN BUILDING DETAILS
column at the riser front

The middle section was detailed earlier in the thread, http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post20949031 I just need to add that we did fill the metal support members with dry sand. Plugged the bottom end with a wad of insulation and sealed the bottom with black silicon seal, let dry, then Damelon poured in about two cups of sand and we topped off the last 1/2 inch with silicon seal.

full size column

column at the back of the theater

Now I need to fill the nail holes, do some wood putty work, sand, seal, sand, prime and paint.

How did you keep the middle section together? I see you have what appears to be a 2x4 support on the back but what keeps the opposite side (with the metal rods) together? Is it a friction fit using the pressure on the back side or is there some form of attachment between the metal rods and the bases that wasn't documented?
post #1461 of 2565 Old 06-12-2012, 09:51 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Dab of silicon glue, friction fit, the wedging of the top and bottom which was a tight fit, the tension of the fabric all holds it together.

some other pictures

DSCF5466.jpg

DSCF5464.jpg

DSCF5459.jpg

DSCF5479.jpg

DSCF5482.jpg

DSCF5448-1.jpg
post #1462 of 2565 Old 06-12-2012, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

We also filled the metal rods with sand! Good times!
post #1463 of 2565 Old 06-12-2012, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Ah, I see. Thanks for the explanation. Really like the design and may incorporate something very similar in my room.
post #1464 of 2565 Old 07-30-2012, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Update:

Preface:
So, if you have read any details about my equipment setup, you might already know I purchased an Onkyo PR-SC5508 pre-amp. I previous was an owner of an integra DTC9.8. When I upgraded to this pre-amp, a few things I made sure it supported were: HDMI 1.4a switching, XLR outs, SUB1&2 XLR outs (which goes with Audessy 32 support usually). As I really liked the quality of my previous Integra unit, and that I had no issues with it from 2006-2011 I figured I'd go with Onkyo/Integra this time around. On researching, I noted that several people had issues with some compounds used in the build process that caused Oxidation, as well as a non-coductive adhesive which sometimes was sprayed everywhere on the main displayboard.

Event:
Last Thursday, I noticed that my remote wasn't working. So naturally I assumed my batteries died. I just used the front panel. On Friday, I replaced the batteries, and the remote still didn't work. My memory tugged at me and I revisited the "Official" Onkyo/Integra thread here at AVS and sure enough, the remote ceasing to operate was the precursor to random source-switching and other issues. Being quite comfortable with electronics and decades of building computers for fun, I had no issues opening up my pre-amp unit. Sure enough, the IDE ribbon cable and connectors were covered in oxidation. I went to my local radio shack and got some electronic cleaner spray and some deoxit and went to work. I didn't go the full 9 with the spray, since I didn't want to deal with removing all of the adhesive compound, but I did tackle the oxidation. After re-assembly, the amp powered up and the remote responded to commands. It did however go straight into Audessy setup mode. So I took it apart again and noticed there was still residue from the deoxit in the IDE connector so I cleaned it up again and tried again. Things seem to be back to normal. This is an issue officially addressed by Onkyo/Integra here:

http://www.us.onkyo.com/press_releases.cfm?id=215

So they will cover this issue no matter what, and I knew that beforehand, but I'd rather not wait 2-6 weeks to get my receiver back if I can take care of it with an hour of work. I'll keep an eye on this and see if there are any other symptoms. Looks like it took about 9 months for any issues to surface.
post #1465 of 2565 Old 07-31-2012, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So after cleaning my unit everything seems to be operating normally again. Lets see how long this lasts. Not sure if I'm going to have to de-ox it every year or if I'll ship it in eventually for warranty. At least I had no downtime!
post #1466 of 2565 Old 08-04-2012, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon View Post

So after cleaning my unit everything seems to be operating normally again. Lets see how long this lasts. Not sure if I'm going to have to de-ox it every year or if I'll ship it in eventually for warranty. At least I had no downtime!

I spoke too soon. Looks like it didn't last very long at all. The remote operation varies day by day. Either it works or it doesn't. But now I have the continuous audio-switching, which is a deal-breaker. I will have to ship it out to get it repaired. I hate having my movie room offline!
post #1467 of 2565 Old 08-05-2012, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 59
post #1468 of 2565 Old 08-06-2012, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark1 View Post

bummer frown.gif

Definitely. Though Onkyo is shipping me a box/shipping labels to have it serviced, the downtime will suck. Looks like I was also having an HDMI handshake issue with my dedicated video card in my HTPC. The listening mode doesn't appear to auto-switch with my HTPC's motherboard HDMI out. I tested several movies without any issues after popping out the video card and no problems so far. I would have never even noticed if I had not been testing out some blu rays without noticing any problems. So maybe my cleaning did help after all.

Still, it will have to be serviced sooner or later, so I may as well bite the bullet now.
post #1469 of 2565 Old 08-13-2012, 05:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Unless I'm blind or have missed a page, i haven't seen any pictures of your equipment room! Do you have any you could share? How many circuits did you dedicate to equipment?

-----------------------------------------------
Chase "Fetch"

Current Theater Build

New House Build

post #1470 of 2565 Old 08-13-2012, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdika17 View Post

Unless I'm blind or have missed a page, i haven't seen any pictures of your equipment room! Do you have any you could share? How many circuits did you dedicate to equipment?

This is really the only picture I have. I haven't really finished it at all. The room looks almost no different now, but I did put the outlet plates on. (Execept with a full rack and cluttered stuff on the floor) The floor and walls remain unfinished.

I think I use 3 20 Amp circuits total. One for the rack, one for the lighting, and one for the outlets in the theater (Which the subs use) That's it. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that is burried in the thread somewhere My projector goes through an inlet plug and goes into my rack circuit as well. Everything in the rack is fed through a power conditioner. I dont think I've seen the total amps go past 3 on it though. Makes me wonder if it is correct, since it has the pre-amp, projector, 7 channel amp, etc plugged into it.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Optoma Th1060p Projector , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , M80 V3 Floorstanding Speaker Boston Cherry , Sony Vpl Vw95es Full Hd 3d Home Cinema Projector , Seaton Sound Submersive H P
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page