The "Bacon Race" Theater / Patio / Bar Project - Page 52 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1531 of 2492 Old 10-09-2012, 09:30 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 30
At least one of the Sonos boxes must be hard-wired into your LAN. The rest will interconnect with Sonos own wi-fi system. You don't need the bridge unless you can't hard-wire one of the regular boxes.

The Sonos will play whatever you want from Rhapsody (among others) , or from your music files on your computer. Each box ("zone") can play a different music program.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 2492 Old 10-09-2012, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 45
As LeBon said, if you have wired ethernet where you put the Connect box you won't need anything else. I'm assuming you have an iPhone, iPad, iPod touch with wifi, PC or mac, or any android device to use as the controller. If that's the case your cost of entry is $350 for one unpowered Connect.

Here's a quick sketch of one way you could configure it:

COAX digital audio to the theater receiver
TOSLINK digital audio to the party room receiver
ANALOG OUT to the existing whole house amp
ANALOG IN from the XM tuner
ETHERNET to your wired network

By running analog out to the whole house amp you can play the same music everywhere
By connecting the XM tuner to analog in, the Sonos box will let you play XM in the theater and party space.
Ethernet lets the sonos box see the controllers that are on your wired or wifi network. If you have multiple sonos components, they talk to each other on their own dedicated wifi network. You only need one sonos component hard wired to your ethernet network to provide access to the entire sonos system.

High Desert Theater -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Building Bass - 

Surrounds -

Storage -

post #1533 of 2492 Old 10-09-2012, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Thanks for that schematic on hook up options. I see I have been under-utilizing my Sonos system!

Awesome! cool.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post

As LeBon said, if you have wired ethernet where you put the Connect box you won't need anything else. I'm assuming you have an iPhone, iPad, iPod touch with wifi, PC or mac, or any android device to use as the controller. If that's the case your cost of entry is $350 for one unpowered Connect.
Here's a quick sketch of one way you could configure it:

COAX digital audio to the theater receiver
TOSLINK digital audio to the party room receiver
ANALOG OUT to the existing whole house amp
ANALOG IN from the XM tuner
ETHERNET to your wired network
By running analog out to the whole house amp you can play the same music everywhere
By connecting the XM tuner to analog in, the Sonos box will let you play XM in the theater and party space.
Ethernet lets the sonos box see the controllers that are on your wired or wifi network. If you have multiple sonos components, they talk to each other on their own dedicated wifi network. You only need one sonos component hard wired to your ethernet network to provide access to the entire sonos system.

post #1534 of 2492 Old 10-09-2012, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 111
I guess I was more interested to know if I needed a connect at all?

I am not really concerned about hooking up the XM (or existing whole-house speakers) to the SONOS, since I can do that already in the rec-room using the existing whole-house system. Mostly, we use that system we just use for background music.

So lets say for now I just start with a couple of speakers in my rec room. I have a laptop/ipad or whatever to control the music.

According to the website, it says "IF I DON'T HAVE A PLAY (Speaker) or CONNECT" near a router, then I need a bridge. I'm assuming that means, unless I hardwire one of my speakers, then I need another device to be hard-wired. The bridge itself only costs $50 vs a $350 connect. Looks like I only need the connect if I want to output what I'm playing on my SONOS system to my standard equipment. (Or input something that isn't on the internet / in my library) So if I actually hook up ethernet to one of my speakers, then i don't need a bridge at all, correct?

I also don't see a need to output stuff into the movie room either, since usually we're either watching a movie in there, or at a party, shoving a bunch of kids in there and putting a movie on for them. I do however want to be able to play both MP3 and FLAC. The CONNECT mentions format support but things like the bridge just say stream from any device on my network (All of my songs are on a NAS) so I'm assuming this is all I need. The "Controller for PC/MAC/IPad etc" mentions FLAC and MP3 etc so I'm assuming that I wouldn't need the connect.

post #1535 of 2492 Old 10-09-2012, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

All the bridge does is attach the sonos system to your network and the internet. You still need a connect to render music. If you can hard wire the connect to your ethernet network then you do not need the bridge.

You need the free controller software running on a computer or iTrinket (or android).
You need the $350 Connect to actually play the music. That's the component I sketched out above.
If you can't run an ethernet cable directly to the connect for any reason, then you need the bridge too.

High Desert Theater -

Building Bass - 

Surrounds -

Storage -

post #1536 of 2492 Old 10-10-2012, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You need the $350 Connect to actually play the music. That's the component I sketched out above.
If you can't run an ethernet cable directly to the connect for any reason, then you need the bridge too.

I keep reading things that tells me that this isn't true. I see diagrams on their website that shows literally just a bridge and a "Play 3/5" to play music.

I also read threads like these:
http://forums.sonos.com/showthread.php?t=31433
where people state that they only have a bridge, a Play device, and the software, to play music.
or
http://forums.sonos.com/showthread.php?t=28112
Where they have a single Play-5 wired to their router and play music with the software.

Their diagrams seem to show the "Connect" as ways to hook up or stream to an existing "standard" stereo system. Their FAQ isn't the best. I am just trying to play stuff off my NAS to SONOS Play devices only.

I posted something on their forums to be sure. It's not that I don't believe what you're saying Petew, it's that I'm an engineer and I like to get to the bottom of every problem and when I see bad support documentation on their website along with conflicting information, I have doubts.

I may just go the easy route and wire for speakers/subs I have to an amp, and just put some inputs and an IR repeater in the bar. Would be much easier, I know how it would work, and cost a lot less.

post #1537 of 2492 Old 10-10-2012, 10:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 30
You are correct that any one of the music playback devices can be the one that is hard-wired to your LAN. I have a Connect, a Connect:Amp, and a Play:5. In my case, the Connect:Amp is hard-wired to the Internet.

Any one of the devices can play music from my PC-based music library. In my case, I also have Rhapsody enabled, so anything Rhapsody has is also available on any of the playback devices.

post #1538 of 2492 Old 10-10-2012, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Connect, Connect:amp, Play:3, and Play:5 are basically equivalent. They are all media renderers and are capable of connecting the sonos system to your wired network and to the internet.

The only time you need Bridge is if you cannot hard wire at least one of the renderers to your LAN. If any sonos component can see your LAN and the internet, they all can.

The renderers will pull music off your NAS device or the internet. If you have multiple renderers they can either play the same synchronized stream or individual streams. Each renderer has it's own volume and mute controls too.

Play:5 is like a ghetto blaster. It has the renderer, stereo amp and speakers in one unit.
Play:3 is the table radio - renderer, mono amp and speaker. It can be configured to play the stream downmixed to mono, left channel, or right channel.
Connect:amp is the renderer with a stereo power amp, no speakers - uses your external speakers.
Connect is just the renderer with analog line level outputs, toslink digital audio output, coax digital audio output. You use it with an external amp or receiver and speakers.

The user interface with Sonos is great. When I have a gathering I let my guests connect to my wifi and have them download the controller app onto their devices. It's great fun to let the whole party pick tunes and interact with the system. It's so easy to use that everyone gets the hang of it in an instant!

Damn I sound like a salesman! (free shipping, 45 day return policy, unlimited support)

High Desert Theater -

Building Bass - 

Surrounds -

Storage -

post #1539 of 2492 Old 10-10-2012, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The user interface with Sonos is great. When I have a gathering I let my guests connect to my wifi and have them download the controller app onto their devices. It's great fun to let the whole party pick tunes and interact with the system. It's so easy to use that everyone gets the hang of it in an instant!
Damn I sound like a salesman! (free shipping, 45 day return policy, unlimited support)

Haha too funny! I haven't seen the software Petew, so is it your standard playlist and people can just tack songs they want onto the end of it? Or would they all have the ability to pause, stop, skip, re-arrange, etc? I don't want them to have that much power! haha.

post #1540 of 2492 Old 10-10-2012, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon View Post

....would they all have the ability to pause, stop, skip, re-arrange, etc? I don't want them to have that much power! haha.....

That's what makes it fun!

Cheers
Pete

High Desert Theater -

Building Bass - 

Surrounds -

Storage -

post #1541 of 2492 Old 10-11-2012, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I know a lot of this is a duplicate of what I posted in the Blu-Ray forum here, but I saw Prometheus in the theater in 3D back when it came out. My feelings on the movie aside, I thought the 3D was ok, but it didn't compare to seeing it at home.

Not even close!

Last night I watched it in my theater. I was using my monster 3D glasses and it was absolutely stunning. In my opinion, this was the best 3D Blu Ray I have seen to date. The depth was incredible, and I didn't have any focus or blur issues at all. It was plenty bright, and the colors were still vibrant. There were several scenes where I caught myself laughing out loud and saying WOW at some of the scenes because of how much they went both in and out of the screen. My wife, who doesn't even really enjoy Sci-Fi, made at least a dozen comments during the movie about how amazing it looked. The widescreen vs 16:9 made a huge difference too. It really makes the 3D work better when it covers more of your area of vision.

Remember, I saw this in the theater. It was IMAX, it was 3D... and I didn't see anywhere near the level of depth or detail I did at home. At the time I saw it in the theater, I was very let down since I love sci-fi and was really looking forward to this movie. This time, I was just enjoying it for the eye candy and the audio track. It was beautiful.

post #1542 of 2492 Old 10-11-2012, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 99
I guess that's why we all do what we do. Nothing beats sitting in your own theater with an incurable case of perma-grin. (Not that I would know, but I have experienced mild forms of perma-grin just based on anticipation of having my own theater).

Spaceman Theater Build

post #1543 of 2492 Old 10-11-2012, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just caught up on pages 29->52. Looks like you're really enjoying the theater man! Looking great!

--- Last Update 10/10/11

--- Don't Build yours like this!!
post #1544 of 2492 Old 10-12-2012, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iced98lx View Post

I just caught up on pages 29->52. Looks like you're really enjoying the theater man! Looking great!

Yes I am, thank you!

Spaceman - You are absolutely correct. Those moments are what makes it great. I think a lot of people who build theaters have a general love for movies, but it only gets amplified once you have done it. I rarely go to the theater anymore. Only for a couple of films. (This year I only saw Prometheus, Avengers, and TDKR) But every single time, even with those films, my experience is better at home. No annoying people. Better picture & Clearer Sound (Though I'll admit my bass isn't up to full blown theater quality) the ability to pause and get up without missing anything or getting in people's way. I just enjoy it more.

The only thing I tend to miss about the theater is the crowd reactions in a Horror or Comedy. There is something to be said about a room full of people laughing at funny scenes in a Comedy, or watching 50 people flinch or scream in a Horror movie that just amplifies a scene. (Hence why a lot of TV shows put laugh tracks in)

Earlier I posted (either in this thread or another) that both pairs of my Monster 3D glasses stopped charging and were defective. I found out that this was not the case. I have a USB conversion plug in the theater room which i can plug in several pairs of glasses to charge. This works fine to charge my Sony Glasses. The problem is that for some reason it doesn't charge the monster glasses properly. If I take them out of the theater room and charge them by my computer USB ports, the worked great. I'm not sure if this is because they are out of range of the transmitter or not (Which keeps them on) but I am pretty sure that's not the case since it terminates the handshake once a 3D signal isn't received. Regardless, I know how to do it to make them work. I also really enjoy the ability to tune the 3D on them. They are larger than the Sony glasses, and thus aren't as obstrusive. But with Prometheus, the picture was perfect. They were out of tune while watching the Avengers and they were unusable. I had to use the Sony glasses. So I got them tuned afterwords until it looked comfortable to my eyes and that made my Prometheus 3D experience amazing. I highly recommend these glasses! I just ordered 2 more pair.

post #1545 of 2492 Old 11-05-2012, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
DSC04060.jpg
Do you have a closeup shot of how the carpet wraps around the column and step on the riser? For that one litle area behind the column but before the step, did the installers just cut and staple something up there?

Visit the

2.0 done and finally posted! - 

And now...
post #1546 of 2492 Old 11-06-2012, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I don't, but I can go take one. The column itself is completely flush with the concrete and wood. So the carpet edge just goes right up to the column, I assume they used a tack-strip. For the parts going vertical, they wrapped it around. Carpet guys did a really good job and did it quickly. They only messed up the left step (looking in that picture) which is slightly angled vs squared like the rest of the carpet, but no one notices it unless I point it out. Take a look and you might see it there too now.

I'll look into getting a closer picture for you.

post #1547 of 2492 Old 11-06-2012, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

I don't, but I can go take one. The column itself is completely flush with the concrete and wood. So the carpet edge just goes right up to the column, I assume they used a tack-strip. For the parts going vertical, they wrapped it around. Carpet guys did a really good job and did it quickly. They only messed up the left step (looking in that picture) which is slightly angled vs squared like the rest of the carpet, but no one notices it unless I point it out. Take a look and you might see it there too now.
I'll look into getting a closer picture for you.

I never noticed it either and i have looked at your thread a bazillion times, now thats all i see! biggrin.gif

-----------------------------------------------
Chase "Fetch"

post #1548 of 2492 Old 11-06-2012, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Here's what I'm interested in specifically. Did they just attach a piece to the vertical part or wrap some of the carpet from above.

Visit the

And now...
post #1549 of 2492 Old 11-06-2012, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdika17 View Post

I never noticed it either and i have looked at your thread a bazillion times, now thats all i see! biggrin.gif

See?? It's like magic!

Blipszyc - Yeah I figured that's what you meant. I will go take a look at it. I never looked that hard, I just saw that they did it. I'll take a closer look later.

post #1550 of 2492 Old 11-26-2012, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipszyc View Post

Here's what I'm interested in specifically. Did they just attach a piece to the vertical part or wrap some of the carpet from above.

I looked at this the other day and it looks like it was just folded over from the top. I will go to get a picture when I remember.

Speaking of pictures, I was reading through some old posts here and I forgot to ever take photos of the screen with an actual image on it. Bad me! I need to do that too.

Media Server:

So we have talked quite a bit before here about my HTPC setup. I have been running unRaid now for almost a year with no issues. I have since added 2 more 3TB WD Red drives to my array, which was easy. I think my library is up to 575 titles or so. I'm not sure on the exact totals. unRaid has had several release candidates published for their server version 5, but I am still running beta 5 build 13 since it is running well and I don't want to mess with it.

Playback has been excellent. As far as network issues, there have been none. In the theater, everything has played perfect over the network using WMP-HC, Lav Filters, and the DTS DLL.

On the PS3s, I am able to play all of my MKV media over the network with no issues (video wise) but have had a few cases where audio does not play due to the fact that on some blu rays, I only ripped the DTS-HD track, and not the 2 channel track.

I have not had any hard drive failures. 4 of my drives in the array are older 1.5TB segate drives, and these would be the first ones that need to go as far as lifespan. At the moment, they are 3 years and 8 months old. I had 8 of these drives in my old hardware raid, and had a few fail and require an RMA. This was also due to the storage case they were in. It was not good for cooling and had repeated problems. The case that runs all of my drives now has a nice open drive bay with a lot of airflow, so my drives should last longer.

I also am using the APC plugin for unRaid, and during the power failure during "Superstorm Sandy" my media storage server shut down automatically once my UPS dropped below 50% power. Nice Save!

I thought I'd mention (Mostly for BIG) that I finally cleaned out and threw away all of the leftover building materials that were sitting in that bar area behind my theater. That was sort of our unfinished space where we dumped all of the big pieces we had.

post #1551 of 2492 Old 11-26-2012, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I looked at this the other day and it looks like it was just folded over from the top. I will go to get a picture when I remember.
No worries. I think I ended up making my step just deep enough that I can cover up the whole side with my column, similar to how you did, just deeper.
Quote:

On the PS3s, I am able to play all of my MKV media over the network with no issues (video wise) but have had a few cases where audio does not play due to the fact that on some blu rays, I only ripped the DTS-HD track, and not the 2 channel track.
What are you using to playback on your PS3? Straight connection to your unRaid box, or through PS3 Media Server on a separate box?

Visit the

And now...
post #1552 of 2492 Old 11-26-2012, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:

Straight connection to your unRaid box, or through PS3 Media Server on a separate box?

^^This. How are you doing it? I seem to recall some issue with PS3 and mkv (only because I too have unraid and everything ripped to mkv.. I seem to remember having issues)

ICC Certified.

||
||
||

post #1553 of 2492 Old 11-27-2012, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Tim View Post

^^This. How are you doing it? I seem to recall some issue with PS3 and mkv (only because I too have unraid and everything ripped to mkv.. I seem to remember having issues)

I used the PS3 media server plugin on the unRaid server itself. Technically this was a direct network connection between unRaid and the PS3 since the plugin is on the same computer as the files are.

The plugin is configurable through the web interface and allows me to set things like the buffer size in memory (which I had plenty of), how many channels to stream, and what folders to share. After that was installed, I can just turn on the PS3s and it shows up right away under the Video menu. I saw all of the movies there and can click on them. It might take 10-30 seconds to start the movie depending if the drive is spun up and buffer times, but they all work without any skips. Like I mentioned in my previous post, the only issues were when I used only the HD audio in my MKV container, then the PS3 didn't always get the vocals. I changed it to only stream 2 channels of audio though (instead of 6) since my PS3s are just hooked up to TVs with stereo. I also mentioned a while back that the plugin did not auto-update new media once it was added but this was incorrect. It did auto-update them, but sometimes it puts them at the bottom of the list instead of alphabetical so you might not see it when you are looking for it. I don't really watch movies this way since I usually watch them in the theater, but I do use it for things like TV shows.

Now FYI, if you actually watch the Linux bootup sequence, it will look like there are a TON of errors with the plugin during startup, but there isn't. I found the right threads on the Lime Tech forums to install the plugin with the beta 5 build 13 release. You need to install some other plugins like Java to make it work too if I remember correctly. I installed it about a year ago now.

post #1554 of 2492 Old 11-27-2012, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

I had been using the PS3 Media Server app on my PC to stream from a RAID box and it worked OK when my PS3 was wired. My new house doesn't have wires anywhere, so I'm working up a plan to move my RAID box closer to the PS3 and equip. closet. I don't recall, but are you getting the HD audio on those MKVs that have it? Or does PS3MS only pass 2-channel? I've also got a WDTVLive Hub that works pretty good, and was thinking of the new Oppo that does streaming too.

Visit the

And now...
post #1555 of 2492 Old 11-27-2012, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I had been using the PS3 Media Server app on my PC to stream from a RAID box and it worked OK when my PS3 was wired. My new house doesn't have wires anywhere, so I'm working up a plan to move my RAID box closer to the PS3 and equip. closet. I don't recall, but are you getting the HD audio on those MKVs that have it? Or does PS3MS only pass 2-channel? I've also got a WDTVLive Hub that works pretty good, and was thinking of the new Oppo that does streaming too.

Well, I couldn't tell you if I am getting HD Audio or not to be honest. My PS3MediaServer is only setup to stream 2 channels, but it supports 6. (5.1) Both of my PS3s are hooked up directly to TVs, so I can only get 2 channel audio anyway. If I was trying to output the sound to my pre-amp, I could verify if it supports the HDAudio. I have the plugin directly installed on the unRaid box and not on a seperate windows PC. If you are using unRaid, the only reason to not use the plugin is the paranoia of stability, but this plugin hasn't had an effect on my stability in the year I've ran it. Using it however takes that extra hope out of the loop. I will say however, that streaming an MKV file with no remuxing (Pure HD Video/Audio) did not play without constant pausing and buffering over a wireless connection. I needed the wired bandwidth. A lot of wireless routers/techs will state their max bandwidth, but most people aren't right next to their routers, and the speed they really get is spotty, plus other wireless signals can interfere with it and cause dropouts in speed or connectivity.

So I have an OPPO 93, and I know it can play an MKV from a USB device, but not over the network. Looking at their website, the BDP-95, 103, and 105 all state they play MKV, but only on "recorded discs or USB drives". So you cannot stream an MKV file over the network from a NAS, it has to be on a USB or burned media. I've read that people have an external USB hard drive and put several MKVs on it to play on their OPPOs. This would work too. I use a standard HTPC to play MKV over the network in my theater (Where I want the HD Audio and have a full 7.2 setup) and the PS3s for the other TVs in the house which I only need stereo. All of the OPPOs CAN stream from internet services such as VUDU, Netflix, Hulu, etc.

post #1556 of 2492 Old 11-27-2012, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I will say however, that streaming an MKV file with no remuxing (Pure HD Video/Audio) did not play without constant pausing and buffering over a wireless connection. I needed the wired bandwidth. A lot of wireless routers/techs will state their max bandwidth, but most people aren't right next to their routers, and the speed they really get is spotty, plus other wireless signals can interfere with it and cause dropouts in speed or connectivity.
Same here and since I've got an original PS3, Wireless-N is out of the question. I definitely need to figure a way to wire it into my network. I also guess I'll need to play with it a little more and see what kind of audio I can get. The PS3 has been packed up since February, and the AVR since last November.
Quote:

So I have an OPPO 93, and I know it can play an MKV from a USB device, but not over the network. Looking at their website, the BDP-95, 103, and 105 all state they play MKV, but only on "recorded discs or USB drives".
Not sure if it's a new firmware feature, but there is a SMB/CIFS function that says it can access files from network shares. Perhaps the 93 can do so too?

Visit the

And now...
post #1557 of 2492 Old 11-27-2012, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Thanks for all of the information. Didn't mean to drag the thread off topic, but your info was very helpful. I think I need to upgrade my unRaid version. Which is cipher-talk for building a new media server.

Tim

ICC Certified.

||
||
||

post #1558 of 2492 Old 11-28-2012, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Tim View Post

Thanks for all of the information. Didn't mean to drag the thread off topic, but your info was very helpful. I think I need to upgrade my unRaid version. Which is cipher-talk for building a new media server.
Tim

It's not off topic. A lot of theater threads have HTPCs and a lot of people ask questions about HTPCs in them. Look at Sandman's thread, he talked about it for liek 20 pages! Cinemar has all of his own software which do those awesome movie posters on an LCD TV when a movie is playing. That's pretty awesome and people want to know!

Mostly, people don't like getting responses like "learn how to use search!" when they have a question and can't find it with a search. I'd much rather ask someone personally than search for 30 minutes trying to find a relevant post or thread.

As far as upgrading my unRaid version, I still haven't upgraded to any of the build 5 release candidates. I guess I'm under the train of thought that as long as everything works, I'm not touching the thing. So until something fails, I'm not upgrading from beta 5 build 13. I personally give people updates with my personal experience with it because of questions exactly like yours. People look for NAS products, and they use FreeNAS, FlexRaid, unRaid, WMS, or a traditional hardware raid. It has been my personal experience that hardware raids for an HTPC are just too expensive and a big headache. Quality raid cards just cost too much. A decent 8 port hardware raid card costs $600-1000. For that price you could get several 3TB external hard drives to back up your media and keep in a fire-safe somewhere. A TRUE backup. I think the biggest issue with any NAS is keeping the hard drives cool. A lot of enclosures for bulk-drives have terrible cooling and even worse fans. I'm using an old Mountain Mods 18" cube case I had from an old water cooled PC. It holds a ton of hard drives and has something like 10 large fans. Those hard drives say very cool in that case. (Something like this http://www.mountainmods.com/u2ufo-mirror-black-powder-coat-big-window-p-78.html) I think it has a 10-hard drive bay rack in the back, which has 2 120mm fans right behind them, along with 2 120mm fans above them and a 120mm fan in front of them. That's a lot of airflow. When I ran a hardware raid, I'd have hard drives drop out constantly during a reboot (on two different raid cards) and that would cause a lengthy rebuild process. A lot of it I think was due to heat, but sometimes drives spinning up, etc. I haven't had one issue since using unRaid, so I'm quite happy. If I didn't already have it, and had to order a new one, their Ascension case would be incredible to hold a ton of hard drives (http://www.mountainmods.com/computer-cases-ascension-c-21_85.html)

Information : A lot of people have asked in many threads about basic features of unRaid so here is a general rundown of how it's raid works

Here is some more basic info about unRaid's raid. It uses RAID-4 basically. But it also can't suffer a complete array failure like a RAID-5 can. RAID-5 can however, allow you to see ALL of your data even if you lose 1 drive. So you aren't temporarily missing data until you rebuild it.

Say you have 5 drives in your system:
Drive 1 - 3TB - Parity
Drive 2 - 3TB
Drive 3 - 3TB
Drive 4 - 2TB
Drive 5 - 2TB

You get 10 TB total array space. You can add ANY size drive to the array at any time. This does not require a full rebuild of the array, though the parity does need to be rebuilt. It is simple to add a new drive in unRaid. Drives do not need to be the same size. The only requirement is that the parity drive be equal to or larger than the largest drive in the array. If you need a larger parity drives, it is easy to upgrade it to a new, larger one.

If your parity drive fails, you lose no data, you have only lost your backup parity. Replace with a new parity and rebuild the parity.
If Drive 3 Fails, you currently have only lost data on Drive 3. Which is 3TB of your total 10TB of your array. However, if you replace the drive with a new 3TB drive the parity will rebuild the data and restore it.

If Drive 4 Fails AND your parity fails, you have now lost the data on drive 4 permanently. However, you can still mount individual discs in linux and access the files on drives 2, 3, and 5. Basically, in a RAID 5 scenario, if you lose 2 discs, you lose everything. It's gone.

A RAID really isn't a backup anyway, it's only insurance against minimal drive failures. A real backup would be to have a complete copy of all of your data elsewhere that is offline and not used (on tape, a secondary array, etc) If you really have one of these, then you really don't need any kind of extreme array for a media server at home. If you have some sort of catastrophic event with simultaneous drive failures, such as a lightning strike or fire, no kind of RAID (hardware or software) is going to help you at all. Only a backup will help you.

In the end that's why I went with a solution such as unRaid. Gives me that single drive failure protection with the ability of data recovery, easy to manage, good plugins and support for UPS/PS3MediaServer/etc, and is cheap. I have things like my music backed up on an external hard drive, but my movies really only require the time of re-ripping from my media if I lose multiple drives at once.

post #1559 of 2492 Old 11-28-2012, 09:29 AM
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I thinking of using a Qnap nas for storage ?

Falcon Screens

post #1560 of 2492 Old 11-28-2012, 09:49 AM
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by snickers1 View Post

I thinking of using a Qnap nas for storage ?

Synology will give you FAR better enclosures that are also quiet and have better cooling. The firmware is also permanently upgradeable, extremely robust and has features typically reserved for only the highest-end NAS (business level) devices.

I plan to put together an 8 x 3TB Raid 5 array in a Synology enclosure and pair it up with a Dune HD Max. There are many different skin options - most of which are completely free. Moggie in his build used a popular skin from a French company which seems to get very good reviews. Moggie also used a QNAP, but the performance of the Synology at a lesser price is simply unrivaled.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Optoma Th1060p Projector , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , M80 V3 Floorstanding Speaker Boston Cherry , Sony Vpl Vw95es Full Hd 3d Home Cinema Projector , Seaton Sound Submersive H P
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page