The "Bacon Race" Theater / Patio / Bar Project - Page 55 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 182Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1621 of 3019 Old 01-17-2013, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
damelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Posts: 2,176
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797 View Post

I wasn't talking about an HOA policy as in a"rule", I was talking about YOUR homeowners insurance policy.

I'm sure that when we call to get the pool added to the policy it will be a provision. I won't know until I call! They might not insure it until there is a fence, or it might just cost more until there is one.
damelon is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1622 of 3019 Old 01-20-2013, 02:35 AM
Advanced Member
 
ADDUpstate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Perinton NY
Posts: 655
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I hope I'm misreading the intent of this fence conversation... are you implying that you want to wait on the fence as long as you can get away with? Or until the county catches you? I certainly hope not. You have one neighborhood kid wander by and fall in and drown and you're f#$@ed.
ADDUpstate is offline  
post #1623 of 3019 Old 01-20-2013, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
damelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Posts: 2,176
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDUpstate View Post

I hope I'm misreading the intent of this fence conversation... are you implying that you want to wait on the fence as long as you can get away with? Or until the county catches you? I certainly hope not. You have one neighborhood kid wander by and fall in and drown and you're f#$@ed.

No, putting it off as long as I can get away with is in no way my goal. If we have to break down the construction into pieces then it just might have to not be immediately done at the same time. We can't do the patio before the pool, we can't do the fence before the patio. Things have to go in a certain order. I'm not implying I want to wait on it. Also, I don't have "neighborhood kids" either. There are no sidewalks or things like that in my neighborhood. All of the lots are 3-5 acres. I didn't even have a single trick-or-treater for each of the last 2 years. I fully plan on putting the fence in as soon as I can, hopefully at the time of everything else but possibly later in the year if we can't immediately afford it.
damelon is offline  
 
post #1624 of 3019 Old 01-20-2013, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member
 
curtisG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Great Falls, VA
Posts: 801
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

if it is the lighting aspect you should go over to the remodeled Magnolia over in sterling by Walmart. In their new showcase display they have an interesting lighting treatment which is lighting under the baseboards. The baseboards are raised up and mounted on some backer creating a channel at the bottom and they have a rope in there as illumination. Something like that might be easier. Go take a look.

Went to the Magnolia store in Sterling today - that's quite a nice set-up they have in that room! eek.gif

The sales guy allowed me to go behind the screen and look at the set-up. They have the B&W LCR's and two B&W 12" passive subs. Sounded quite good on the demo tracks they used.

But the thing that intrigued me the most was the wall treatment. It was some kind of black, cotton like, heavy blanket. Must have been > 2" thick.

Anyone know what kind of material that might have been?
curtisG is offline  
post #1625 of 3019 Old 01-20-2013, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
damelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Posts: 2,176
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisG View Post

Went to the Magnolia store in Sterling today - that's quite a nice set-up they have in that room! eek.gif

The sales guy allowed me to go behind the screen and look at the set-up. They have the B&W LCR's and two B&W 12" passive subs. Sounded quite good on the demo tracks they used.

But the thing that intrigued me the most was the wall treatment. It was some kind of black, cotton like, heavy blanket. Must have been > 2" thick.

Anyone know what kind of material that might have been?

No, and I didn't ask either. But yeah, I was quite surprised by their display. The other best buy's I had been to had crappy gear and their theater rooms were no more than a projector and a screen. I really like the wood paneling they had. Stained wood in a theater room just looks classy. Even if it is just a little bit of trim, it adds a lot to the look of the room.
damelon is offline  
post #1626 of 3019 Old 01-20-2013, 03:48 PM
CEO FALCON SCREENS
 
snickers1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 918
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 126
snickers1 is offline  
post #1627 of 3019 Old 01-20-2013, 04:29 PM
Advanced Member
 
curtisG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Great Falls, VA
Posts: 801
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by snickers1 View Post

is this the room ? http://magnoliaav.com/Showrooms/Dedicated-Theater
Very similar, but not exactly. In the Sterling store, the entrance is from the rear. But the same general layout, color scheme, faux-stone columns, and star-ceiling.

Definitely worth a trip to Sterling to take a look. The sales guy, Danny, was knowledgable too.
curtisG is offline  
post #1628 of 3019 Old 01-20-2013, 04:50 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR
 
BIGmouthinDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 28,157
Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3900 Post(s)
Liked: 3333
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisG View Post

But the thing that intrigued me the most was the wall treatment. It was some kind of black, cotton like, heavy blanket. Must have been > 2" thick.

I assume you are referring to the treatment behind the screen. I got the same demo and I thought it was just another variation of coated compressed fiberglass with a coating, I didn't look closely.
BIGmouthinDC is offline  
post #1629 of 3019 Old 01-21-2013, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member
 
pauleyc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Ashburn, VA
Posts: 674
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisG View Post

Very similar, but not exactly. In the Sterling store, the entrance is from the rear. But the same general layout, color scheme, faux-stone columns, and star-ceiling.

Definitely worth a trip to Sterling to take a look. The sales guy, Danny, was knowledgable too.

curtisG LIVES!!! Lost touch and the email I have for you is no longer good. Sent you a PM wink.gif
pauleyc is offline  
post #1630 of 3019 Old 01-24-2013, 06:43 AM
Senior Member
 
Diesel 48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 452
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Where did you get the AV rack and glass door from? Looking to do something similar. How is the glass door mounted?
Diesel 48 is offline  
post #1631 of 3019 Old 01-28-2013, 08:24 AM
Senior Member
 
Diesel 48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 452
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Also just curious how deep is your riser? Do you still have the plans for it? From a picture I saw it looked like the deepest section was 102" and it came into 90" were the chairs are.
Diesel 48 is offline  
post #1632 of 3019 Old 01-28-2013, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
damelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Posts: 2,176
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel 48 View Post

Where did you get the AV rack and glass door from? Looking to do something similar. How is the glass door mounted?

I purchased my rack from B&H Photo and Video. You can get them from a lot of places. It is a middle atlantic rack. The type and model is up to your specific needs.

The door, i got on ebay for a great price. It's an easy mount. There are holes on the front of the rack, You just screw the mount bracks into the holes and then the door slips right onto them. Takes a few minutes to do.
damelon is offline  
post #1633 of 3019 Old 01-28-2013, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
damelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Posts: 2,176
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 286
So I got the pool quote today. I laughed. A lot. The estimate from the pool company for the whole project was....... $420,000. I'd put a shotgun to my face and pull the trigger before I paid anything close to that. Their line items were even funnier.... that outdoor pavilion, without the fireplace, they listed at $84,000!!! It's just 4 posts and a roof! That's worse than the initial offers you get from the worst car salesmen!
damelon is offline  
post #1634 of 3019 Old 01-28-2013, 08:29 AM
Senior Member
 
Diesel 48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 452
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Thanks! Any chance if you know your riser depth in the two locations? Also how far are your front chairs from your screen? Sorry for all of the questions but I am planning my theater based some of your dimensions. The only thing I want is 3ft behind the screen vs the 2'3" you have now. My subs are 28" deep.
Diesel 48 is offline  
post #1635 of 3019 Old 01-28-2013, 08:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tlogan6797's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 5,196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
The estimate from the pool company for the whole project was....... $420,000.

WOW! Business is either really good or REALLY bad. If it's really good, they don't want your business or yours is the project they drop every other project for. If it's really bad, they're making up for it on thisone job. Either way, if you agree to that price, they'll be in your backyard tomorrow!

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

The Yellow Dog Cinema and Draft House
tlogan6797 is offline  
post #1636 of 3019 Old 01-28-2013, 08:37 AM
CEO FALCON SCREENS
 
snickers1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 918
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon View Post

So I got the pool quote today. I laughed. A lot. The estimate from the pool company for the whole project was....... $420,000. I'd put a shotgun to my face and pull the trigger before I paid anything close to that. Their line items were even funnier.... that outdoor pavilion, without the fireplace, they listed at $84,000!!! It's just 4 posts and a roof! That's worse than the initial offers you get from the worst car salesmen!

which pool company ? wow i think i would have laughed and pointed to the front door if the salesperson was in my house:eek:
snickers1 is offline  
post #1637 of 3019 Old 01-28-2013, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
damelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Posts: 2,176
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 286
The company was Lewis Aquatech. We loved their designs, and their reviews were better than most. None of our neighbors used them though and about 40% of the people in our neighborhood have pools. Most used Blue Haven, or Town and Country. We like their design, but I think pool companies are a lot like home builders when it comes to what is worth it. Traditional advice when building a home, is that anything involving structure, like bump outs, are relatively cheap since builders build. But when you ask them to do other things that are subcontracted out, you pay a huge premium. I think the same is with the quote. The pool price itself wasn't too far off from what I expected, but some of their other line items were a joke. I'd like the dimensional plan from them, but with all of the 3d renders we got from them, we could probably get a lot of estimates using those renders alone.
damelon is offline  
post #1638 of 3019 Old 01-28-2013, 09:40 AM
CEO FALCON SCREENS
 
snickers1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 918
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon View Post

The company was Lewis Aquatech. We loved their designs, and their reviews were better than most. None of our neighbors used them though and about 40% of the people in our neighborhood have pools. Most used Blue Haven, or Town and Country. We like their design, but I think pool companies are a lot like home builders when it comes to what is worth it. Traditional advice when building a home, is that anything involving structure, like bump outs, are relatively cheap since builders build. But when you ask them to do other things that are subcontracted out, you pay a huge premium. I think the same is with the quote. The pool price itself wasn't too far off from what I expected, but some of their other line items were a joke. I'd like the dimensional plan from them, but with all of the 3d renders we got from them, we could probably get a lot of estimates using those renders alone.

sound slike a good plan ..... the owners of NY concrete are like my second family so if you need to sub the concrete work out send me pm and i can you in touch with them.
snickers1 is offline  
post #1639 of 3019 Old 01-28-2013, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
damelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Posts: 2,176
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by snickers1 View Post

sound slike a good plan ..... the owners of NY concrete are like my second family so if you need to sub the concrete work out send me pm and i can you in touch with them.

We absolutely plan to sub out the concrete work. We were going to have Graystone give us a quote on that as they did my wife's patio at her last house and did a good job. As soon as we get plans we were going to start asking for individual estimates, so I would always be interested in another company's quote.
damelon is offline  
post #1640 of 3019 Old 01-28-2013, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
damelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Posts: 2,176
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel 48 View Post

Thanks! Any chance if you know your riser depth in the two locations? Also how far are your front chairs from your screen? Sorry for all of the questions but I am planning my theater based some of your dimensions. The only thing I want is 3ft behind the screen vs the 2'3" you have now. My subs are 28" deep.

I'm a little confused as to what you mean by "riser depth in TWO locations". I only have one riser! It is 7'6" deep from the drywall. Since the treatments were 4" deep and the columns on top of that stick out a ways, I should have made my riser more like 4" deeper from the back drywall to the front of the riser. It's pretty close to perfect but a tiny more room would have been better.

As far as distances from the rows, the front row is 12' or so (give or take 6 inches) from the screen and the back row is 18' or so (give or take 6 inches) from the screen.

From the front row, the screen size on a widescreen movie is absolutely perfect for me. Enveloping but not overwhelming. From the rear row, I'd like the screen to be a little bigger.
damelon is offline  
post #1641 of 3019 Old 01-28-2013, 10:59 AM
Senior Member
 
Diesel 48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 452
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon View Post

I'm a little confused as to what you mean by "riser depth in TWO locations". I only have one riser! It is 7'6" deep from the drywall. Since the treatments were 4" deep and the columns on top of that stick out a ways, I should have made my riser more like 4" deeper from the back drywall to the front of the riser. It's pretty close to perfect but a tiny more room would have been better.

As far as distances from the rows, the front row is 12' or so (give or take 6 inches) from the screen and the back row is 18' or so (give or take 6 inches) from the screen.

From the front row, the screen size on a widescreen movie is absolutely perfect for me. Enveloping but not overwhelming. From the rear row, I'd like the screen to be a little bigger.

Sorry if did not explain my self as well as I should of. It appears you have a jog in your riser were the stairs are. One point goes out past the columns and the other point is the back of where your front row chairs sit. If I am looking correctly it is 102" on the sides and 7'6" in the middle.
Diesel 48 is offline  
post #1642 of 3019 Old 02-04-2013, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
damelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Posts: 2,176
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon View Post

We absolutely plan to sub out the concrete work. We were going to have Graystone give us a quote on that as they did my wife's patio at her last house and did a good job. As soon as we get plans we were going to start asking for individual estimates, so I would always be interested in another company's quote.

So we got our second quote. Our original estimat included everything other than the landscaping and was quoted 419k by the pool company who designed the plan.

This estimate was for all of the work other than the pool, the retaining wall directly connected to the pool, and the fence. It came to 115k. This seems like a much more realistic number to me, though the number still seems big, it is a lot of concrete and masonry work. That is almost the entire estimated cost of the pavailion + the fireplace form the original quote LOL. Pretty much halved the total cost of the project overnight. Going to call a few pool companies and get them to cost out the pool work alone. The fence of course we will need to get estimated by a fencing company.
damelon is offline  
post #1643 of 3019 Old 02-08-2013, 09:51 AM
Newbie
 
AckFive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Your theater looks great man. Really like your design. Was wondering if you would share how long are the steps on your risers length wise?
AckFive is offline  
post #1644 of 3019 Old 02-08-2013, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
damelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Posts: 2,176
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by AckFive View Post

Your theater looks great man. Really like your design. Was wondering if you would share how long are the steps on your risers length wise?

Thank you! Still loving it!

For the stairs, I believe BIG's initial drawing was what we used in our final build. I hope that gives you what you were asking about. The steps are just the right size (In my opinion) but they need better lighting. I would use LED strips if I did it again.



Side Note: We had another couple over the other night that hadn't been in our home before, and we went to go watch a movie and as soon as the lights came on and he saw the theater he just shook his head and started laughing and said "What? You have got to be ****ting me!"
damelon is offline  
post #1645 of 3019 Old 02-08-2013, 11:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Spaceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Houston
Posts: 2,015
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon View Post

Side Note: We had another couple over the other night that hadn't been in our home before, and we went to go watch a movie and as soon as the lights came on and he saw the theater he just shook his head and started laughing and said "What? You have got to be ****ting me!"

I got a similar response from our guests on Superbowl Sunday. One guy, who admittedly is not easily impressed and who rarely gives compliments, must have told me 4 or 5 times how awesome the room was. Every time I showed him something, he just laughed and shook his head. He was one of many that gave me a hard time about taking so long to finish the room, so it felt pretty good to hear "WOW, now I know why it took you so long". smile.gif
Spaceman is offline  
post #1646 of 3019 Old 02-11-2013, 12:17 AM
Member
 
rmajor55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey D, great theater man, just read the whole thing start to finish. It took me 5 days, lol.

As for your step lights, cant you just use a higher wattage bulb to get that little bit of extra light??

Also, I am going to be stealing a lot of yours and Big's designs. I've started my room and I'm taking pics so maybe I'll start a thread.

Your landscaping renderings look fantastic and I look forward to seeing that unfold.

Robin

Robin Major

I never know what to put here.<---- Soon to be build thread.
rmajor55 is offline  
post #1647 of 3019 Old 02-11-2013, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
damelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Posts: 2,176
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmajor55 View Post

Hey D, great theater man, just read the whole thing start to finish. It took me 5 days, lol.

As for your step lights, cant you just use a higher wattage bulb to get that little bit of extra light??

Also, I am going to be stealing a lot of yours and Big's designs. I've started my room and I'm taking pics so maybe I'll start a thread.

Your landscaping renderings look fantastic and I look forward to seeing that unfold.

Robin

Step Lights - Doubtful. The plate itself limits the light that can come through. It really is a few small slits. I might look at just a flat plate of some kind with a whole translucent panel to let more light through. Fortunately it is still installed inside of a normal gang-box so I could replace it with pretty much anything that fits that way. That at least is a small and simple change.

Thank you for the compliments. Make sure you don't focus only on one build. Look through many. I was totally in love with Sandman's build when I did this, and still am. However I've seen a lot of things, especially in the last year, which I like a lot. People have done some excellent work with trim, soffits, and lighting, which I really like. I'd probably do it a little differently if I did it again. Usually though, most things as far as the style, don't matter so much once the lights go out, which is the vast majority of the time. But the look is the first impression and gets people excited when they see it. Dim lighting like step lights, or even other theme lighting is important if you want to be able to not trip going down steps or see things like food/remotes. It has to be really dim though. The smallest amounts of light tends to wash out the screen. It is amazing how much the picture changes with the soffit lights on the edges on the lowest levels. So it needs to be dim enough to not alter the picture but bright enough to be able to actually see it. This is something used all of the time, so to me is a lot more important.

I'm excited about the landscaping/pool work too. The cost is just well beyond my capacity for budgeting. Buying a house is easy, even when it is super expensive, because it is financed by rolling up into a single mortgage, which is backed by the house itself. A Car works the same way. Things like this get tricky. Because if a project costs $200k total, you can't just write a check for that. (Well some people can I suppose). And because the chunks of the project are dependent on other parts, you can't just say i'll do $20k here and there. The pool needs to be done and paid for in a single bunch of financing. The pool itself requires minimum concrete decking and a fence. But the grading for the area will all need to be done in advance, which means a dug up yard. We are probably going to do a small section first, which will begin with the area under and around our deck. So we will have things like our grill, and a hot tub pad area ready. That's about 1/3 of the concrete work. From there we can wait another year probably to look at the next steps and see where we are financially.
damelon is offline  
post #1648 of 3019 Old 02-11-2013, 05:58 PM
Senior Member
 
xjagox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Maryland
Posts: 269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Have you thought about DIY'ing (or at least subbing out yourself) the construction of the pool? I always think that the prices that I hear for pools sound ridiculous. I've never really looked into it deep enough though, since a pool is still several projects down on my priority list.
xjagox is offline  
post #1649 of 3019 Old 02-12-2013, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
damelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Posts: 2,176
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjagox View Post

Have you thought about DIY'ing (or at least subbing out yourself) the construction of the pool? I always think that the prices that I hear for pools sound ridiculous. I've never really looked into it deep enough though, since a pool is still several projects down on my priority list.

Not even once. haha. Considering the need for heavy construction equipment and the concrete pouring rigs I've seen... well let's just say I haven't and have no plans to look into that. hehe.

Remember, the majority of the cost for me personally is due to the design/layout we have requested. A lot of that stonework and concrete for the patio is completely unnecessary in relation to the pool.
damelon is offline  
post #1650 of 3019 Old 02-12-2013, 09:15 AM
 
Seegs108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 10,829
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5167 Post(s)
Liked: 2582
Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon View Post

Not even once. haha. Considering the need for heavy construction equipment and the concrete pouring rigs I've seen... well let's just say I haven't and have no plans to look into that. hehe.

Remember, the majority of the cost for me personally is due to the design/layout we have requested. A lot of that stonework and concrete for the patio is completely unnecessary in relation to the pool.

I've actually worked for a pool business for 6 years and let me tell you if you've never built an in ground pool before you don't want your first time doing it by yourself. You'll need help from someone whose done it before. The concrete needs to be poured in a very specific way and you can only use certain types of concrete. Trowelling concrete on steep deep end inclines isn't something a newbie can do. Obviously the concrete work is the hardest part. After making sure the walls are perfectly level the rest any idiot could do.
Seegs108 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Optoma Th1060p Projector , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , M80 V3 Floorstanding Speaker Boston Cherry , Sony Vpl Vw95es Full Hd 3d Home Cinema Projector , Seaton Sound Submersive H P

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off