Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #1711 of 2492 Old 03-14-2013, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Fortunately we have had a couple of days of workable weather, so they were able to finish getting most of the stone finished for the kitchen/bar. They will be doing all of the "gap" mason work today between the pieces of stone. I went and fished the wiring under the concrete into the bar and pulled it to the primary location there (the fridge) and will run two additional wires later today for the two outlet boxes. Hopefully the granite people will come tomorrow or the staining will be done this week before all of the rain comes. Otherwise we will have to push the delivery of the hot tub, since they can't place it until the concrete is sealed. I'll try to get some intermediate photos posted soon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1712 of 2492 Old 03-20-2013, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yesterday the granite contractor came to measure the whole bar area for the slabs/pieces they need to shape and place, which was funny since he was using thin balsa wood strips for the outlines and the wind was not cooperating with him. He had to anchor them all down with spare rocks. Today the concrete company should come to power-wash the patio, do some detailing work such as cleaning up places where two parts of the stamps didn't line up just right, or didn't press completely, etc. Then late today/tomorrow they should begin the acid staining process and finally seal the concrete. We had to push the hot tub delivery to Monday unfortunately since everything was delayed due to weather.

On a sadder note, our doberman Jackson passed away last Sunday (As seen in a few build photos)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1713 of 2492 Old 03-20-2013, 08:00 AM
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon View Post

Yesterday the granite contractor came to measure the whole bar area for the slabs/pieces they need to shape and place, which was funny since he was using thin balsa wood strips for the outlines and the wind was not cooperating with him. He had to anchor them all down with spare rocks. Today the concrete company should come to power-wash the patio, do some detailing work such as cleaning up places where two parts of the stamps didn't line up just right, or didn't press completely, etc. Then late today/tomorrow they should begin the acid staining process and finally seal the concrete. We had to push the hot tub delivery to Monday unfortunately since everything was delayed due to weather.

On a sadder note, our doberman Jackson passed away last Sunday (As seen in a few build photos)

Sorry to hear about Jackson frown.gif our friend had large doby like Jackson that suddenly had heart issues and passed away last summer.

Falcon Screens

post #1714 of 2492 Old 03-20-2013, 08:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Damelon,

A couple of things....

1. For outdoor speakers, I put two zones in my backyard. One zone is for the pool (deep end and shallow end, 4 speakers total) and the other for the patio (2 speakers total). The ambient noise around the pool tends to be louder than the patio for obvious reasons so having the ability to crank the pool a little louder than the patio is a must or else no one enjoys sitting in the patio because it sounds like a restaurant bar with the music way over-cranked. I'd also recommend pointing all speakers TOWARDS the house. I don't live on land anywhere near the size of yours but I can turn it up pretty loud and the neighbors can't hear it at all (my pump, filter, and control unit are also in the back of the yard hidden by the landscaping and adds a nice white noise to help separate us). Compare that to the one house behind me that pointed their speakers out and I can hear every word and let's just say we don't share the same tastes in music. Also, I chose "rock speakers" because it gets the sound closer to the ground where the pool is and they're actually hidden by all my landscaping so the sound comes from nowhere and everywhere, if that makes sense.

2. Off topic, my wife and I were talking about looking for something in the 3-5 acre range the other day but I'm concerned about the, ahem, wildlife. We have friends with a similar lot as yours (lots of trees) and they constantly have snakes popping up all around the outside of their house. I would literally DROP DEAD if I pulled the cover off the firewood and there was a snake hissing at me. Dead as a doornail! So I'm curious, do you find crazy wildlife around your house? And for the record, you will certainly be finding them in your pool. I live in the suburbs and have already pulled out dead (and live) rabbits, frogs, chipmunks, squirrels, you name it. No snakes yet... thank God.
post #1715 of 2492 Old 03-20-2013, 08:43 AM
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 289
So sorry to hear about the loss of your dog, Damelon. That's a big hit to the family, I am sure.

On the topic of your pool, have you considered an underwater speaker system? They make units that flush-mount in standard pool-light housings and have an unbelievable sound quality. I've heard them before and there is just something unexpected about swimming laps while listening to music....and without the neighbors or anyone outside the pool hearing a peep! Here's a couple of examples. I am sure you can find cheaper, but this will get you started if you are interested.

http://www.recreonics.com/underwater_speakers.htm

Again, sorry for your loss.

post #1716 of 2492 Old 03-20-2013, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Sorry to hear about your dog. They certainly are members of the family!

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

post #1717 of 2492 Old 03-20-2013, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thank you for your words about our puppy. Jackson also died from heart issues (cardiomyopathy) We have already spoken to a breeder though and have a pair of black dobie puppies we expect to take home next month. House is just too empty/quiet!!!

To address questions

1) Speakers - I haven't really thought about what direction I will point them in yet. I do know that there will be 2 zones, and I already have all of the hardware for that. The speakers are on swivel mounts so I could point them toward the house or toward the pool. I will just mess with it once it is all finished and see how it works. Mostly, it is just background noise anyway. The other two will be mounted to the pavilion once it is done, and will probably be mounted on the fireplace side towards the pool so you can hear them inside of the pavilion area. I may put them on the closer poles facing away from the pool but not sure yet. I have no plans to put any speakers in the pool, or right against it.

2) Wildlife - We have a lot! We've been there 2 years now, and have seen 1 snake total. Mostly though, we have a lot of deer, squirrels, birds. We have quite a bit of foxes that come onto our property, have seen 2 raccoons, one groundhog way back down by the creek, and Jackson caught and killed some Possum. Playing dead with a doberman doesn't work. We had standard rabies concerns to begin with but all of the fox/raccoon we have seen look to be in good health and calm/passive. Not that it makes it any less dangerous, but still. Fencing will help with that though. Lately we have even considered bordering the property with deer mesh fencing in the woods and just using some iron/aluminum "Pretty" fencing along the visible parts of the property (Sides) instead of just fencing the pool area with all pretty fencing. That would keep deer off of our property completely, and somewhat keep the foxes out. (I know they can still dig) We have an invisible fence already for the dogs, but we are considering the alternatives to protect them from their instincts. That is another reason there is a fencing requirement for pools... keep the wildlife out. Fences will not stop frogs, but our neighbor has had no other issues for several years already except that a deer jumped his fence once because it was only 4 feet high. Still, no "animals" have been in his pool, and his is literally IN the woods... ours is more in a cleared area.

post #1718 of 2492 Old 03-20-2013, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:

Fences will not stop frogs, but our neighbor has had no other issues for several years already except that a deer jumped his fence once because it was only 4 feet high.
It's my experience that fences up to twice that tall are only mild deterrents for deer. My grandmother's garden had either 6 or 8 ft fence (can't remember), but still had troubles keeping them out of the plants. An interesting conversation on the topic: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/homest/msg020140202385.html

post #1719 of 2492 Old 03-20-2013, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
First let me say that I'm sorry to hear about the passing of your dog Jackson. I know that the loss of a pet can be very traumatic for all, good to hear though that you have new potentials to bring into the family.

Regarding fences and deer. There is a military installation about an hours drive from my house that is encircled by a 1o foot fence, and I have seen on two occasions deer jumping that fence. I did not believe it until I saw it for myself.

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #1720 of 2492 Old 03-20-2013, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
I'm sorry for the lost of Jackson, Damien. As a dog owner/lover, I know how bad it feels. I'm sorry my friend!

On the bright side, look back at the pics of this build, at least you know he's a part of this build too. smile.gif

~ Gary

)

post #1721 of 2492 Old 03-21-2013, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

First let me say that I'm sorry to hear about the passing of your dog Jackson. I know that the loss of a pet can be very traumatic for all, good to hear though that you have new potentials to bring into the family.

Regarding fences and deer. There is a military installation about an hours drive from my house that is encircled by a 1o foot fence, and I have seen on two occasions deer jumping that fence. I did not believe it until I saw it for myself.

Regards,

RTROSE

I'm well aware of the jumping abilities of deer. Fortunately, we have an added benefit though. the fence we plan on putting up will also follow the edge of a creek on the back of our property. So 3/4 sides will basically have a sunken "Moat". Not that it will matter since the front of the property will be a standard 5' fence anyway. It's mostly for the dogs, with the added benefit of mostly keeping out animals. If they want in, they will find a way.

post #1722 of 2492 Old 03-21-2013, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Sorry for your loss.

As for the deer, I think the big problem is they are getting acclimated to humans. I have a buddy that lives on the corner of a main road and backs on to a park (here in Sterling for you locals). We were out on the deck on night, cooking, drinking, laughing, some guys smoking cigars. Next thing I know, I look up and at least two deer come out of the woods into his back yard (no fence, but still!). They stop right at the edge of the circle created by his outdoor lighting. One them then lays down in the grass and jsut stays there for about an hour! Like he's enjoying the party or something.

My neighbor across the street gets foxes coming right to his deck looking for food, ESPECIALLY after he grills.

It's getting ridiculous.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #1723 of 2492 Old 03-21-2013, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797 View Post

My neighbor across the street gets foxes coming right to his deck looking for food, ESPECIALLY after he grills.

It's getting ridiculous.

We have pretty much the same issue. They are all up near our bird feeders or around or deck area every single night. Hopefully a fence will deter them

post #1724 of 2492 Old 03-26-2013, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

(Reserved)

post #1725 of 2492 Old 03-26-2013, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sorry I skipped a middle step of photos (Will update later)

At this point they have poured the concrete, done the coloring and staining work, and built the main structure of the grill area. Here is a photo coming down from the deck

Here is from one edge looking toward where the hot tub will be. I will address two questions that may come up from this picture
1) Notice the very front face of concrete has a rough finish and not a perfect stain. It is intentionally rough because the concrete will continue from here in the next phase and it will help to bond together.
2) Notice the curving gap open area next to the stairs. If you go look back at the 3D renderings, this will be a flower bed in the final plan.

Here is a picture from the side. (Also where the hot tub will be) looking under the deck toward the grill area.

More picture notes I'll point out
1) If you look along the wall of the house under the window, you will notice the slope of the slab It is to help the water run away from the house. It also is sloped toward where the camera took the picture also. There is some tape still along the edge of the wall which still needs to be cleaned up.
2) Notice the posts under the staircase were left exposed on one side. Again, this will be covered by the flower bed as well as pieces of the cement-board bases that were removed during the concrete pour.
3) You can also see the big trench in the background where the drain line goes to the woods. I took a lot of photos of this in the last step which I will post back into the thread later.

Finally the bar area. The two built in drawers are done, and I have pre-wired some outlets in conduit there. We changed the stone to slate from our original choice, and though the color matches, it is too similar. We will use different stone for all of our other walls/columns when we do the rest of the project. We have a light colored granite (White with Black and Gold and little bit of red ) and that should be cut and put in next week, as well as our grill/burners/fridge installed then.

Granite sample image (My wife saw it today and said it was a little bit different than this)

post #1726 of 2492 Old 03-27-2013, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Nice! Really coming along nicely. Keep up the photos. We just finished a patio/firepit and some landscaping as well. Itching to do the kitchen (outdoor and indoor) next. Have to finish the theater first though. smile.gif

Bud

Check out a video of my  

post #1727 of 2492 Old 03-27-2013, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35

Wow, the patio looks great.  I wouldn't have guessed it was stamped concrete looking at the pictures.  They did a great job.

post #1728 of 2492 Old 03-27-2013, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGiovas View Post

Wow, the patio looks great.  I wouldn't have guessed it was stamped concrete looking at the pictures.  They did a great job.

I know... I will try to get the "Middle" photos posted later. I was really skeptical how they would color the pieces after their initial pour was done. Today they are supposed to "Neutralize" it, which is something to make it look a little more natural and even, and then they will seal it Thursday, which will add a little bit of gloss to it. I'm actually pretty impressed with how close it looked to the original renders! We love this company (Greystone Masonry) but the weather has been terrible the last few weeks so it has taken a lot longer than it should have.

Here's an example from the render (Look at the stone and border colors)

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), default quality

And compare with the actual (And border)

Pretty damn close. ... Though in the initial renders they did not have a border around the area we did currently (Because we did it in pieces, we wanted a border so that if the stain doesn't exactly match, there is a color between the sections which will trick the eyes)

post #1729 of 2492 Old 03-27-2013, 08:17 AM
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Wow! Really nice!!! So I have to ask....when't the party?? cool.gif

post #1730 of 2492 Old 03-28-2013, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post

Wow! Really nice!!! So I have to ask....when't the party?? cool.gif

4th of July! Really, some weekend soon probably. The real "pool deck" won't be available until at least next year so it's not quite party central yet!

post #1731 of 2492 Old 03-28-2013, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok so yesterday they completed the Neutralization and the Sealing. Depending on the light you may or may not be able to tell the difference, but it slightly darkens the entire slab plus adds a glossy sheen.

Granite should be installed next week, then we can finally add in the stainless steel pieces of the grill, burners, fridge

post #1732 of 2492 Old 03-28-2013, 04:42 PM

Liked: 10
That looks phenomenal, we hope to begin our backyard patio once I am done with the basement project. I was getting tired of seeing unilock on every patio in recent years, and this is something different and looks really great; certainly an option I will be looking into when the time comes. Thanks for sharing, and roll on the summer!
post #1733 of 2492 Old 03-28-2013, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:

Ok so yesterday they completed the Neutralization and the Sealing. Depending on the light you may or may not be able to tell the difference, but it slightly darkens the entire slab plus adds a glossy sheen.

Looks great! Was there a conversation about what slip-resistance that surface would have when wet?

post #1734 of 2492 Old 03-28-2013, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred View Post

Looks great! Was there a conversation about what slip-resistance that surface would have when wet?

No, we had previously used this company at my wife's last home, so we knew how it would be and were fine with it

Due to the "Stone" facade, it is has "ridges" built-in. Granted, you would not want to run on it when it is wet I'm sure. It does not have a "grainy" feel like you would be accustomed to at any neighborhood pools, so it will not provide the same level of grip, and it is entirely possible someone could slip and fall if they ran on it while it was wet (or your feet). Of course, no one should be running on concrete anyway, but I know how kids are at a pool so kids would need to be supervised if they are visiting.

As far as the look, we definitely wanted something different. Everyone goes with either the plain old rough concrete pool deck you see at any community pool, or with a sort of grey-square paver stone pattern around their pools usually. We wanted a bit more color, and it would contrast really well with any plants we put around.

Usually we see something like this unilock example at most houses:

Our first renders given to us used that pattern. We said the only thing we know for sure is we don't want our stone to be grey. So change it to something that has a beige or sand base.

post #1735 of 2492 Old 03-28-2013, 07:07 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 608
I remember that area being a big muddy mess, looks great!. I was really sad to hear about Jackson, It was always a special moment when he walked into the room when we were working or eating. You couldn't ignore a dog like Jackson.

PROJECTS:

post #1736 of 2492 Old 03-29-2013, 05:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

I remember that area being a big muddy mess, looks great!. I was really sad to hear about Jackson, It was always a special moment when he walked into the room when we were working or eating. You couldn't ignore a dog like Jackson.

No joke, it was a total mess under there. All of the sod the builder put down must have died instantly. It was almost all straw when we moved in. Every time it rained it was filthy for a week. Just gross.

Yeah, Jackson did not like being ignored. Typical doberman who always wanted to be near his owner, but around other people as well. Any new face was a new pair of hands that would pet him. It's definitely rough not having him around, but we will have our hands full in a week, because we have two new doberman pups on the way. I've had a lot of dogs in my life, but never puppies. Will be a lot of work, but a lot of fun too!

post #1737 of 2492 Old 03-29-2013, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Man, that patio and outdoor kitchen look fantastic. Totally love the look of it, nicely done!

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #1738 of 2492 Old 03-30-2013, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Then we tackled building some custom register boots for 6 x 24 supply and return vents. Built a box with plywood and some of the leftover MDF sealed the joints with leftover acoustical caulk.

Added some Linacoustic lining to quiet the box

Then put on the bottoms, The slots are intentionally in different positions based on intended locations.

I know it's probably in the thread somewhere but what is the size of these boots? 30l" x 12w" x 10h"?

-----------------------------------------------
Chase "Fetch"

post #1739 of 2492 Old 04-01-2013, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Damelon & BIG,

As I've "borrowed" many of your ideas I was wondering the reason for roofing felt and even double plywood on the stage? Also what tool did you use to assemble the stage and riser - framing nail gun?

Thanks!

post #1740 of 2492 Old 04-01-2013, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefftr View Post

Damelon & BIG,

As I've "borrowed" many of your ideas I was wondering the reason for roofing felt and even double plywood on the stage? Also what tool did you use to assemble the stage and riser - framing nail gun?

Thanks!

Though it's only a guess, I'd assume the roofing felt was for both anti-vibration purposes, and because it has an element of "Tack" in it, which helps things not to move around as easy. As for the double plywood, that is mostly to give extra strength, providing less flex. Again, both just logical guesses. I know we discussed it back when we did it but memory starting to fade on the details.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdika17 View Post

I know it's probably in the thread somewhere but what is the size of these boots? 30l" x 12w" x 10h"?

Gonna have to ask big about that one, I honestly have no idea and don't have any idea where my notes are anymore. If it's not in the thread, you can only hope it is in big's head. Ultimately though, the size is relative to your space. We made them specifically so that:

1) They would fit in the soffit
2) They would be able to fit the flex-ducting on the end
3) The would fit the register.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Optoma Th1060p Projector , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , M80 V3 Floorstanding Speaker Boston Cherry , Sony Vpl Vw95es Full Hd 3d Home Cinema Projector , Seaton Sound Submersive H P
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page