The "Bacon Race" Theater / Patio / Bar Project - Page 61 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1801 of 2492 Old 04-20-2013, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Sorry for the late posts, here are some of the finished patio shots. Everything is filthy with pollen right now though... still, I tried to get some shots of things not finished in previous pictures.

Some things you may notice : Yeah there is a ton of dug-up dirt around the concrete where we had to dig to put in drainage. Hopefully some grass seed will grow over it soon. On one side of the bar countertop, there doesn't appear to be room for 4 more stools. We knew this going in, the patio will be extended much further in the next stage either next year or two. We could only afford to do so much this year. I know none of the shots have a close-up of the granite, I will try to get that later.

JRock3x8 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1802 of 2492 Old 04-20-2013, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 58
LOVE that outdoor grill/bar/kitchen!!

~ Gary

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

)

post #1803 of 2492 Old 04-21-2013, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 45
We need MORE PUPPY PICTURES!

High Desert Theater -

Building Bass - 

Surrounds -

Storage -

post #1804 of 2492 Old 04-21-2013, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post

We need MORE PUPPY PICTURES!

Here you go!

post #1805 of 2492 Old 04-22-2013, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Since we've gotten the new pups, the movie room has gone completely unused! They have their ear apt. tomorrow though and need to stay overnight, so I am hoping to get some use out of it tomorrow! I will have to crank up the volume!

post #1806 of 2492 Old 04-28-2013, 02:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Another stage question. When you filled the step with insulation did you pack it in tight (as in double or triple it up) or let it expand to fill the cavity. I am using 9in thick in a 4 1/2 inch cavity so it is already squished. Any ideas?
post #1807 of 2492 Old 04-28-2013, 05:01 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 613
Fluffy is fine. Anything else is a waste of material.

PROJECTS:

post #1808 of 2492 Old 04-29-2013, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So this weekend I was talking with the wife and we have decided that the pool/patio project will also support an outdoor theater. It will not supplant the indoor theater at all, but it's definitely doable for relatively cheep since it involves little construction. Mostly the biggest issue will be the projector location. If I put a big screen behind the pool then it would be a good 32' or so from the edge of the deck. I could easily put it on a table in front of the pool but that's just a problem waiting to happen. Keep in mind this is still just brainstorming, but at least it will be a semi "Bacon Race Part 2" theater. haha. Except this time I'm not worrying about anything other than "Can I see the picture" and "Can I hear the dialogue".

post #1809 of 2492 Old 04-29-2013, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
32' is a pretty long throw!

I run a small business-class projector for my deck theater and if I take down the screen before the projector shuts down, I can CLEARLY see the picture on the side of the house two houses away! I keep threatening some day to just use the side of THEIR house for a screen!

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #1810 of 2492 Old 04-29-2013, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797 View Post

32' is a pretty long throw!

I run a small business-class projector for my deck theater and if I take down the screen before the projector shuts down, I can CLEARLY see the picture on the side of the house two houses away! I keep threatening some day to just use the side of THEIR house for a screen!

Yeah.. it limits the projectors. The BenQ SH940 does 1080P and has 4000 lumens. It could make that throw but it is $3k. Says it can do about 22FL at 38' on a 220" screen.

Then again, I might not have to even worry about this for another year or two anyway, so there could easily be better stuff out there by then. Just wanted to let you know it is going to be integrated into "The Plan".

post #1811 of 2492 Old 04-29-2013, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

I used to be VERY active over at backyardtheater.com and I ALWAYS cautioned the Newbies...."people don't go to outdoor movies for the PQ or SQ; they go to have a good time." ANYTHING you put up will be fine.

Tom Logan

post #1812 of 2492 Old 04-29-2013, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I used to be VERY active over at backyardtheater.com and I ALWAYS cautioned the Newbies...."people don't go to outdoor movies for the PQ or SQ; they go to have a good time." ANYTHING you put up will be fine.

Yep.. all I care about is if I can see the picture and can hear what the people say.

post #1813 of 2492 Old 04-29-2013, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I love how the grill and stuff is just under the overhang. Even in the rain you can be out there entertaining in the summer, just perfect. How large is the total space under there?

post #1814 of 2492 Old 04-30-2013, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smakovits View Post

I love how the grill and stuff is just under the overhang. Even in the rain you can be out there entertaining in the summer, just perfect. How large is the total space under there?

I don't know the exact dimensions but it is about 17' deep and 26' wide. Each could be like a foot off. I'm just guessing based on the plan. The grill and everything are just under the deck above, but the bar top overhang does extend out beyond the covered area. If we recessed it completely there wouldn't have been room for all of the things we wanted. We would have had to made the bar longer.

Only half of the deck (the part above the grill) doesn't allow water through. We plan to put a ceiling under there, along with a ceiling fan and lights, but we will have to use one of those "Underdeck" products on the other half of the deck to siphon the water away. When we put in the next part of the patio we will have that pavilion with a fireplace too, so that will add some additional covered space.

---

Logan, as far as the screen goes I think we will try to put in a 16' wide screen (220" diag). It will be on the hill behind the pool, so the projector would basically be ceiling mounted just under the lip of the deck next to the pillar where the under-deck bar ends. I will probably just put a shelf there since I won't leave it there permanently, due to weather of course. But due to how we will likely do landscaping, we will probably not use one of those big inflatable screens, and instead build some sort of custom frame. I'd like to have a frame that would have a couple of in-ground anchors permanently in the ground where some poles would just slide into, which I'm sure is doable. I'd have to think of how I could assemble/disassemble it easy enough that it isn't super frustrating for setup for a movie night. Everything other than the screen itself is pretty simple to do. Since you had experience doing this in the past, and I think you mentioned you made a PVC frame, I thought I'd ask.

post #1815 of 2492 Old 04-30-2013, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Not sure if you said somewhere or not but did you run a gas line from the house for the grill or are you still using propane?

post #1816 of 2492 Old 04-30-2013, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanice View Post

Not sure if you said somewhere or not but did you run a gas line from the house for the grill or are you still using propane?

We just used propane. There is a gas line sticking out the back of the house up on the deck, but we didn't want to bother with it

post #1817 of 2492 Old 04-30-2013, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon View Post

Logan, as far as the screen goes I think we will try to put in a 16' wide screen (220" diag). It will be on the hill behind the pool, so the projector would basically be ceiling mounted just under the lip of the deck next to the pillar where the under-deck bar ends. I will probably just put a shelf there since I won't leave it there permanently, due to weather of course. But due to how we will likely do landscaping, we will probably not use one of those big inflatable screens, and instead build some sort of custom frame. I'd like to have a frame that would have a couple of in-ground anchors permanently in the ground where some poles would just slide into, which I'm sure is doable. I'd have to think of how I could assemble/disassemble it easy enough that it isn't super frustrating for setup for a movie night. Everything other than the screen itself is pretty simple to do. Since you had experience doing this in the past, and I think you mentioned you made a PVC frame, I thought I'd ask.
It isn't a PVC frame, but this would make for an easy outdoor movie night...

C SEED

biggrin.gif

post #1818 of 2492 Old 04-30-2013, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Since you had experience doing this in the past, and I think you mentioned you made a PVC frame, I thought I'd ask.

Here's the link to my outdoor theater over at backyardtheater.com. I think you'll get the idea of what I did. You could easily mount the uprights in the ground. My wife sewed the screen from BO Cloth from Joanne's. I think you can now get it online in the size you are talking about. Check the site...people have used all kinds of material for screens. My setup was designed to be portable, but I'm sure we can figure out something for you.

Falls Rdige Outdoor Theater

Tom Logan

post #1819 of 2492 Old 04-30-2013, 12:43 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:

Here's the link to my outdoor theater over at backyardtheater.com. I think you'll get the idea of what I did. You could easily mount the uprights in the ground. My wife sewed the screen from BO Cloth from Joanne's. I think you can now get it online in the size you are talking about. Check the site...people have used all kinds of material for screens. My setup was designed to be portable, but I'm sure we can figure out something for you.

Falls Rdige Outdoor Theater

Looking way back at how you installed your door with the 1" treatments. Did you have to use a custom strike for the door latch? I suspect the supplied strikes would not have been wide enough to reach towards the front edge of the fabric panels?

post #1820 of 2492 Old 04-30-2013, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 235 View Post

Looking way back at how you installed your door with the 1" treatments. Did you have to use a custom strike for the door latch? I suspect the supplied strikes would not have been wide enough to reach towards the front edge of the fabric panels?

My memory is fuzzy, but I'm pretty sure that the strike that came with the extra deep door handle just barely lipped the fabric panel. I think we forgot about this initially when we ordered the parts, but the strike fit anyway. Remember, the doorknob needed to be that extra depth already due to it going over the 1" treatment, so the strike, I believe, was included with a matching depth.

From the website:
Emtek Basel Door Lever Set [shown in Satin Nickel(US15)] includes 2 door levers with rosettes, latch, strike, easy installation instructions, all related hardware and full manufacturer's warranty

http://www.doorknobdiscountcenter.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=DDC&Product_Code=EM5107BA

Pretty sure we just used everything that came in the package. We did have to grind down the connector on the handle itself since it was a little too big.

post #1821 of 2492 Old 05-06-2013, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So I was looking into how I was going to do the outdoor screen this weekend, and I think I figured out what I'm going to do. Going to make a frame out of 1.5" PVC, where I will be able to bolt in some Rings where you can run wire through, so i can stretch a screen tight to the frame. I know it will warp if it is too tight. I'd normally use 2" PVC, but the primary reason is that I'll be able to bury some 2" PVC vertically in the ground, where I can slide in 3 posts directly from the frame into it, so I can take out the screen when I like, without having to attach it to any other structure. The normal couplers that PVC uses for like-sized widths is too tight and would be really hard to pull apart once stood up.

I 'm debating 5 channel, but I may just go with "All channel stereo" for outside. Primarily since going 5 channel would focus the dialogue to a single speaker.

I may end up implementing this project this summer instead of waiting for the pool. I'll plan the wiring / support poles so that it is out of the way of the pool but if I have to lose some pre-dug PVC pipes during construction later it will only come to a few bucks of pipe and some minor additional labor.

post #1822 of 2492 Old 05-06-2013, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Sounds like a plan. I have not had a problem with the 1.5 PVCS warping. The screen does NOT need to be THAT tight. Don't be afraid to use the heavy guage outdoor lighting wire for speaker wire.

Good luck!

Tom Logan

post #1823 of 2492 Old 05-06-2013, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sounds like a plan. I have not had a problem with the 1.5 PVCS warping. The screen does NOT need to be THAT tight. Don't be afraid to use the heavy guage outdoor lighting wire for speaker wire.

Good luck!

Thanks Logan. Yeah I found 500' of 12/2 landscape wire for cheap. I'll go that route.

Interesting piece of info... I've been looking at using these mini-LED lights for under my deck since they are so easy to install and very small. It immediately occurred to me that a bunch of them could be used in a home theater soffit/ceiling plan in a lot of "Space restrictive" scenarios, as well as using very little power. They have things like remote control dimmers and stuff available too. Remember, they are tiny! But it would make a really unique looking theater to use them and not require "Cans" of any kind installed in the ceiling.

http://www.de-kor.com/indoor-recessedlights.html

post #1824 of 2492 Old 05-06-2013, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So I'm piecing together everything I need for the outdoor theater, right now the only thing that's a little difficult to find is a shelf for the projector. I'd need a shelf which is close to a standard rack-mount shelf. At least 17" wide and at least 12" deep. I'd like to be able to hang it from the ceiling (The end beam under a deck). I guess I could technically use a ceiling mount, but I plan to set up the projector / take it down after every showing. I know there are probably some quick connect/disconnect ceiling mounts, but let's try to find a shelf here.

If you have seen any of those equipment racks where there is like a 4" center pole on each side, and then the shelves center on those poles forward and back, i'd like something like that, except that it would have an L bracket at the top where it could be bolted in the ceiling, and drop down a foot or so. I'll be using google to see what I can find. Worst case I could mount a shelf to the support post the deck is using.

So far the easiest thing would be the Da-Lite CP-1218 and spray paint it white.

I could use something like the Rubbermaid fasttrack system, put two vertical bars on the deck post a few inches apart, and then like a 14" wide 20" deep shelf, which would be sideways and become Depth and Width. If the wires were too far apart I could just something flat on top of it. The weight wouldn't be much (15-18 lbs)

post #1825 of 2492 Old 05-06-2013, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Sounds like a DIY project to me.

Tom Logan

post #1826 of 2492 Old 05-07-2013, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok so Snickers1 provided me with a link to this site:
http://www.carlofet.com/bungee-grommet-screens/flexiwhite-bungee-grommet-screens.html

Where I can get a 16' H x 9' H outdoor screen (1.1 gain) including grommets for $319.95. A good price if you ask me. They also sell specific frame fittings and plans for frame lengths to use 1" EMT Metal Pipe. The fittings include O loops to marry up to the grommets in the screen. Perfect! Instead of using their free-standing design though, I will have 3 pipes just pointing straight down. The Outer-Diameter of 1" EMT pipe is 1.163". The closest pipe inner diameter I could find without being super tight was Schedule 80 1 1/4" PVC, which I would bury in the ground for a mounting support. This has an Inner Diameter of 1.278". I can always mount a tightening screw if it is too loose, but this should be just the right amount of slackness to be able to rest the screen into the holes. 1" EMT Pipe is 67 lbs per 100 feet. Should be able to easily be removed vertically from the in-ground PVC pipe with one person on each end.

EMT pipe is $6.77 per 10', So a frame will not be overly expensive to build.

I'll either go with the BenQ SH910 or SH940 projector. The 910 would be plenty bright but it has no lens shift, so the stars would need to align to allow me to use it. I'd need some help measuring, but it seems like it would be "Possible" to make it work. Can get a 910 for a great price on amazon (or price match with proj-people) but the 940 would cost about $1k more.

Thanks to Tom Logan, I looked into 12 gauge low voltage landscaping wire, which I was able to get for much cheaper than conventional outdoor speaker wire, plus at a higher gauge rating and higher length. I'll wire the yard for a 5 channel setup but depending on how it sounds I may just go all-channel stereo. We'll see.

I think I will be moving forward to get this setup for this summer!

post #1827 of 2492 Old 05-07-2013, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Go at least 5.1, you'll LOVE it!

I've found myself turnig around on the deck to see what all the noise on the street was only to realize it's background noise from the rear speakers!

Tom Logan

post #1828 of 2492 Old 05-07-2013, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Go at least 5.1, you'll LOVE it!

I've found myself turnig around on the deck to see what all the noise on the street was only to realize it's background noise from the rear speakers!

That's the plan! Since I'm going to wire up everything and label it into brinding posts, I could easily change rear speakers to another zone of front speakers or whatever so I won't need to wire anything any differently outside.

post #1829 of 2492 Old 05-11-2013, 04:27 PM
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 58
i had the privilege of meeting Damelon today and was able to spend a little time in this beautiful theater... first thing i was greeted by the new pups they are so very sweet and just beautiful dogs.
Damelon was super cool to talk with. The Theater is stunning Big and him did and incredible job. If anyone ever wonders what it is like to sit in room that the sound proofing was done so well let me tell it is awesome and worth every penny
Just wow!! When he fired up the first movie and scene and when a explosion scene came on i almost dropped my phone i had to ask for him to play that scene again just so i could record it with the phone and send to the wife. LOL

Thanks Damelon taking some time out of your weekend
was very nice meeting you

Falcon Screens

post #1830 of 2492 Old 05-12-2013, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickers1 View Post

i had the privilege of meeting Damelon today and was able to spend a little time in this beautiful theater... first thing i was greeted by the new pups they are so very sweet and just beautiful dogs.
Damelon was super cool to talk with. The Theater is stunning Big and him did and incredible job. If anyone ever wonders what it is like to sit in room that the sound proofing was done so well let me tell it is awesome and worth every penny
Just wow!! When he fired up the first movie and scene and when a explosion scene came on i almost dropped my phone i had to ask for him to play that scene again just so i could record it with the phone and send to the wife. LOL

Thanks Damelon taking some time out of your weekend
was very nice meeting you

Thanks Snickers! It was nice to meet you and talk to you about everything under the sun. I'll be the first to admit, I watch movies loud! I demoed a few scenes for him from MI : Ghost Protocol, which I had not yet watched in my theater. (Some awesome surround effects!) Also demoed some 3D from the opening of Prometheus. We talked about pretty much everything from my theater project, his theater project, screen materials, false wall construction, patio plans and costs, etc. I think once I finish the outdoor screen I will do a nova meet and greet / BBQ, we can all chill outside with food and drinks, maybe watch a movie, and go inside for some demos. I'll post more later once that project is done I'll work out scheduling.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Optoma Th1060p Projector , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , M80 V3 Floorstanding Speaker Boston Cherry , Sony Vpl Vw95es Full Hd 3d Home Cinema Projector , Seaton Sound Submersive H P
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page