The "Bacon Race" Theater / Patio / Bar Project - Page 70 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2071 of 2568 Old 08-19-2013, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Projector Stand : This can go up to 7' high, but due to the current grading I only needed the lower pole. Nothing special to see in the unboxing, just the stand. The table comes with long velcro strips so that you can adjust it like a Gimble to project at any angle

(Reserved for future photo with projector)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2072 of 2568 Old 08-19-2013, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Projector : I got an Optoma TH1060P. Mostly because it had a lot of lumens and also because the distance between the projector and the bottom of the screen was much lower than the BenQ SH910 I was looking at. Same price though.

Came with a nice carry case!

With the projector peeking out!

And here is the HDMI outlet box under the lip of my deck where it plugs into! (Ignore the dirty column, I didn't power wash this area due to the box being there unfortunately)
post #2073 of 2568 Old 08-19-2013, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Outdoor Speakers : From OSD (Outdoor Speaker Direct) - RS690 - http://www.outdoorspeakerdepot.com/osr50larospp.html

Came in a big box!

Opened it to find... 2 Smaller Boxes!

Which each contained one beige rock speaker! Up close, it doesn't look half bad

If you wanted to see how the base looks with the included wire here is a pic:

Listening Impressions : Ok so how my receiver is set out of the box they don't deliver much on the low end, but they do sound great otherwise. I really cranked them up to the introduction of "300" in just stereo mode and was very impressed with their sound output... not to mention how good just plain stereo sounded. I know I'm usually spoiled, but for outdoor purposes, these are just fine! For the price of a pair, they were a great buy!
post #2074 of 2568 Old 08-19-2013, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Initial Impressions : Had everything working all together and put on the beginning of avatar. Man I can't believe how much better projectors look these days! Even this $1k projector looks great! Very happy it is all working. Will be watching an entire movie later so we can see if that dongle results in any sync issues
post #2075 of 2568 Old 08-20-2013, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
NICE!

3 more speakers and a subwoofer and you're all set!

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #2076 of 2568 Old 08-20-2013, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797 View Post

NICE!

3 more speakers and a subwoofer and you're all set!

I've got the speakers, I just didn't bother setting them up temporarily. They will be there permanently later. I didn't wire for a sub though. There is a conduit running for the power lines to the pool pumps so maybe when they do that work I will just have them pull some wire along with it.
post #2077 of 2568 Old 08-22-2013, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon View Post

With the projector peeking out!

We love the equipment pictures, keep em coming...

Chris

"It hurts to admit when you make mistakes - but when they are big enough, the pain only lasts a second."
--Despair, Inc. "Regret"

My AviaTrix TM Build
post #2078 of 2568 Old 08-22-2013, 08:39 PM

Liked: 14
I spent the past couple days reading this entire thread from the beginning. It starts out with a really nice theater build but around page 40 it seems like everything is all tied up, but there are still 30 pages left in the thread you begin wondering to yourself "ok, so BIG said he still needs to paint the door, how on earth does that take up 30 more pages??" ...and then bam you get hit was a crazy yard build. I'm looking forward to more pics of the process and especially the final product.

I really appreciate the detail construction pics and cost breakdown. It really helps guide an informed decision on whether a project like this would be feasible to do yourself before you get in over your head or demo a room and can't afford to put it back together.

One suggestion: update the first post with some info to indicate that buried at the back of the thread is a cool yard makeover -- maybe include one of the rendering shots.
post #2079 of 2568 Old 08-23-2013, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveHCYJ View Post

One suggestion: update the first post with some info to indicate that buried at the back of the thread is a cool yard makeover -- maybe include one of the rendering shots.

This is actually a great point. Not only do I want to do this, I want to do a table of contents too. Thanks for the reminder, I'll try to get this done sometime in the near future!
post #2080 of 2568 Old 08-23-2013, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 63
As long as you don't get stuck in "Dimension X"...the "near future" is relative...

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40

post #2081 of 2568 Old 08-23-2013, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^^^
Now THERE'S a guy who gets it!

Tom Logan

post #2082 of 2568 Old 08-23-2013, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Heh... well I added some pictures of the patio area on the front page already... table of contents will take a lot more time.
post #2083 of 2568 Old 09-05-2013, 08:29 AM

Liked: 11
Hey damelon,

Love the theater! After reading Warren's book I knew I wanted some portion of the Bacon Race in my design so I will be using a similar soffit design.

With that in mind, is this the light you used? http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=16059-47842-105851-028

I don't remember you guys mentioning it was a gimbal type. Do you turn the gimbal any specific way to accent your theater or just keep them straight?

Your patio is pretty amazing as well!

Thanks.

Avengers Assemble
post #2084 of 2568 Old 09-05-2013, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by killravenx View Post

Hey damelon,

Love the theater! After reading Warren's book I knew I wanted some portion of the Bacon Race in my design so I will be using a similar soffit design.

With that in mind, is this the light you used? http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=16059-47842-105851-028

I don't remember you guys mentioning it was a gimbal type. Do you turn the gimbal any specific way to accent your theater or just keep them straight?

Your patio is pretty amazing as well!

Thanks.

I used those lights in my theater soffits and they work well. Most of mine are straight but the ones pointed at the screen are tilted toward the screen. Its nice to have the flexibility.
post #2085 of 2568 Old 09-05-2013, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I used those same ones as well. All mine shoot straight down. Painting the trim pieces proved to be somewhat difficult for me (the paint kept cracking). Finally figured out my technique. Also, these lights run very hot so having adequate ventilation is important.
post #2086 of 2568 Old 09-05-2013, 09:11 AM

Awesome guys! Thanks for the replies, I am heading to Lowes to get a sample one to mess with smile.gif

Avengers Assemble
post #2087 of 2568 Old 09-05-2013, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Awesome guys! Thanks for the replies, I am heading to Lowes to get a sample one to mess with smile.gif

They work well, are small, and do get hot. I think i was the same as stockmonkey and only used the gimbal on the front ones. Wiring them is also a pain because the housnig is so small.

On a side note, one of my puppies decided to chew on my carpet on the front of the stage, not cool!!! Had to black sharpie it temporarily so it wouldn't be overly obviously, but I will have to replace the first step carpet at some point... Fortunately, I have enough spare to do so.
post #2088 of 2568 Old 09-06-2013, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Bummer!

So far, mine just lays all over it and gets hair stuck in it. For a commercial grade carpet, it sure holds dog hair!

Tom Logan

post #2089 of 2568 Old 09-06-2013, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Right after I laid the hardwoods in our old house, one of our boxers chewed the corner off of one of the stair treads....... We didn't speak for quite some time.

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
post #2090 of 2568 Old 09-09-2013, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post

Right after I laid the hardwoods in our old house, one of our boxers chewed the corner off of one of the stair treads....... We didn't speak for quite some time.

LOL. Yes, I was quite angry at them too. I already knew one of them had this desire to chew on a toy off of the beds or sheets I'd put down over the carpet for them when we watched a movie. But in this case my wife was not there, and I had both dogs with me. Since their recent surgery, I couldn't leave them alone either... needless to say, when I was looking at one, the other somehow managed to roll over and start pulling at some loops. The sound took a couple of seconds to register and then it was too late! With the black marker you might not even notice it in the brief time the lights are on before a movie, but it is sort of front and center, and was an area of several inches, so it did stick out to me. Sucks!
post #2091 of 2568 Old 09-09-2013, 08:53 PM

Did any of your dogs ever do anything to the many fabric panels on the wall in your theater? It would seem like a natural thing for a dog or cat to have an interest in :)

Avengers Assemble
post #2092 of 2568 Old 09-10-2013, 02:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Did any of your dogs ever do anything to the many fabric panels on the wall in your theater? It would seem like a natural thing for a dog or cat to have an interest in smile.gif

They have had 0 interest in the walls there, or walls in general. The dogs usually come with us now when we watch movies, and lay on the floor in front of the front row. We usually have blankets we put down for them, mostly to keep the floor clean. Still, my wife gives them bones or something to keep them occupied, which gets them chewing to begin with, and if they happen to move over the carpet then sometimes the chewing migrates. If she is there with them there is usually no problem since she pays attention most of the time, but its hard to watch them both myself. In the future at least I won't need to bring them in there when I'm watching movies on my own as they are getting to where they can be left on their own in the house. They do love to watch movies though. Watching Django Unchained was hard with them, as there are lots of horses and barking dogs in it and they noticed every one.
post #2093 of 2568 Old 10-01-2013, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It has been a while, so I thought I would do a little bit of an update here:

1) Finally got around to re-installing my Axiom Epic80 mains and returned my Paradigm's to my rental house over the weekend. Re-calibrated Audyssey and brought that back on-line
2) Did some NAS upgrades! In the process of replacing all of my old 1.5 TB Seagates with 3TB or 4TB hard drives. It takes a while to do parity rebuilds but so far the process is going well. Those drives were nearing 5 years old and they had more and more sector re-allocations popping up. Better to replace them before I lost some data. So far 2 drives have been upgraded and all is well! I really like unRaid and how intuitive it is.
3) I've watched several movies outdoors so far. I do need to wait until it is dark out, but several horror movies later, it has been a fun experience. Since the ground where my screen is isn't flat, I don't get a complete screen fill at the moment, but this will change once we do some ground leveling when the patio/pool get finished
4) My underdeck ceiling is wonderful. It does not leak at all and looks great! I am very happy with the installation and a lot of people have commented on it and how much nicer it looks than a bare under-deck

Some recently released movies I've seen... Hate me for my reviews, I don't care

Oblivion - This was a lot better than I thought it would be, and the audio and visuals were as close to perfect as I have seen on a blu ray. It really was a well put together movie and an excellent disc to use as a demo. I've heard people complain it is too slow. This is a complaint I think from people who can't wait for a story to develop. Things don't have to blow up every minute for a movie to be good, and these days Hollywood seems determined that the only way to make a movie is to throw explosions, cgi, violence, etc at the wall and completely ignore a story. This was better than the other summer blockbusters below, and it looked/sounded better too.

Iron Man 3 - At this point I think this series needs to end... imo it made iron man 2 look a lot better than it was. I really didn't get excited about anything in the movie. Kind of boring actually. They are trying to hard to do something different that they left out the things that were good about the series. 0 re-watch value.

World War Z - Besides the fact that the zombies in this film are the silliest zombies to date, the film was enjoyable. More of a thriller or action movie than a typical zombie movie. I'd prefer the walking dead or 28 days later. Those are the best examples of classic zombies or "outbreak" zombies. Too many plot holes in WWZ to count, but it did have some tense moments.

This is the end - I don't think I've ever seen so many "known" actors or celebrities in a single movie... that being said, a lot of people's home videos are better. Is this what comedy has become? Lets just watch famous people act stupid for 2 hours.... um... no thanks.

Now you see me - I thought this movie was really well put together. Yeah they pushed the envelope of what is possible way too far, but the story was engaging and the twists were good. It wasn't "The Prestige" but a fun popcorn movie to be sure.

Star Trek Into Darkness - I watched this one in 3D, and some of the 3D was really good, and in other places it was really bad/blurry. This is the unfortunate problem with 3D. When it gets blurry or unfocused it starts to ruin it overall for me, but on some scenes they did a good job. I love SCI-FI. I love star trek. (Well most of it) I'm starting to get annoyed with hollywood now. I'm not going to get into "Spoilers" but the plot holes in this movie were terrible. Almost everything that happened that was important was stupid. No concept of time in warp. They decided that now when you go to warp everything is 10 minutes away. And I don't mean that they spent 10 minutes in the movie.. i mean literally people would make a decision reacting to something across the galaxy and would instantly be where they wanted to be. The final "climactic" scene with Kirk was so stupid I literally was telling the movie out loud how dumb it was. Benedict Cumberbach has an awesome voice and presence but that couldn't save the movie. An actual story arc to the movie was a lovers quarrel between Spock and Uhura... .really? Wrath of Khan is one of my all time favorite movies and I really had high hopes for this "2nd movie" of the reboot. Nope. My review of this? Prometheus was better than this.... and that says a lot.

All and all. Blockbuster movies this year were a big let down. Why is it that TV shows are now better written than movies? Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Dexter, Homeland. At least the TV shows last a lot longer than the movies. Too bad they don't get the budget the movies do. Wouldn't that be something?
post #2094 of 2568 Old 10-01-2013, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:

It has been a while, so I thought I would do a little bit of an update here:

1) Finally got around to re-installing my Axiom Epic80 mains and returned my Paradigm's to my rental house over the weekend. Re-calibrated Audyssey and brought that back on-line
2) Did some NAS upgrades! In the process of replacing all of my old 1.5 TB Seagates with 3TB or 4TB hard drives. It takes a while to do parity rebuilds but so far the process is going well. Those drives were nearing 5 years old and they had more and more sector re-allocations popping up. Better to replace them before I lost some data. So far 2 drives have been upgraded and all is well! I really like unRaid and how intuitive it is.

I thought that the Axioms weren't going back in?

Yeah, gotta love drive upgrades. I just built my media server with six 3TB drives for data (one lost for the parity drive of course). Not looking forward to rebuilds down the road when I need to expand or replace a failing drive.
post #2095 of 2568 Old 10-01-2013, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post

Yeah, gotta love drive upgrades. I just built my media server with six 3TB drives for data (one lost for the parity drive of course). Not looking forward to rebuilds down the road when I need to expand or replace a failing drive.

I was going to measure both pairs of speakers. I just never got around to it. I didn't want the extra pair of speakers laying around anyway so I put them back. Better that they all match anyway I suppose. Hah! I still haven't taken the time to measure the room with REW. Which means I also haven't made a decision to upgrade my subs to the Submersives.

The drive upgrades were not a big deal. Upgrading a drive just runs overnight. The parity replacement is a little more time consuming though. I went from a 3TB -> 4TB, so that required all of the pre-clearing and then a rebuild and then a check. That takes some time. Though i could use my old 3TB parity drive now as one of my replacement drives to the old 1.5TB drives. 2 of 4 of my 1.5TB drives are now upgraded. I still have to pre-clear my other two new drives before I can upgrade those. I shouldn't need to do another NAS upgrade for a couple of years. (Cross Fingers)

If I do any upgrades in the near future, it will likely be the subs. I've just been trying to spend less money lately in lieu of the future pool/patio project that might be coming next year.
post #2096 of 2568 Old 10-11-2013, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post

I was going to measure both pairs of speakers. I just never got around to it. I didn't want the extra pair of speakers laying around anyway so I put them back. Better that they all match anyway I suppose. Hah! I still haven't taken the time to measure the room with REW. Which means I also haven't made a decision to upgrade my subs to the Submersives.

First of all, great job to you (and Big of course) on the theater as well as outdoor additions!  I started reading some of Big's build threads a couple weeks ago and worked my way backwards to this one.  I spent all week reading through this build thread and was really hoping by the end I'd get to see some REW measurements of your theater! :( That's the one thing that has fascinated me most about these builds...I'd want some affirmation that the recommendations and advice I got on the sound plan actually paid off with some objective measurements but I've found that seems to be the exception rather than the rule.  Of course, I know subjectively things must sound pretty good but I like to take the subjectivity out of the equation as much as possible.  I'm glad to see you've at least taken an active interest in trying to measure your room.  Most of your experience with Audyssey and the "what happened to my bass" is answered here:

f)5. Since I ran Audyssey everything sounds great - but where has my bass gone?

I wouldn't underestimate the fact that we've all pretty much been conditioned to listening to bass outside of movie reference standards as reference bass tends to be somewhat underwhelming in comparision.  Certainly an acquired taste but I'd think running +6 dB hot might mean that you've not quite acclimated yet! :cool:  I would also recommend that you always adjust your gain in the AVR rather than the sub itself but I think the fact that you alluded to possibly doing so was prior to your discussion with Mark Seaton.  His new power and slave dual setup might be pefect for your theater (and save you some $$$) if the ideal location for both subs remains equidistant from MLP.

It would be really interesting to see your FR's, ETC's and waterfalls/bass decay plots for your theater.  There is a great group of guys over in the USB mic and REW thread and since it has over 5k posts, you might want to skip to just reading the fantastic guide that AustinJerry has put together for beginners of REW and USB mics (with or without HDMI connections).  Post your FR's and waterfalls to start and I'm sure you'll get plenty of feedback there.  Anyway, I'll keep my fingers crossed to hopefully see some measurements soon!

post #2097 of 2568 Old 10-11-2013, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkasanic View Post

First of all, great job to you (and Big of course) on the theater as well as outdoor additions!  I started reading some of Big's build threads a couple weeks ago and worked my way backwards to this one.  I spent all week reading through this build thread and was really hoping by the end I'd get to see some REW measurements of your theater! frown.gif  That's the one thing that has fascinated me most about these builds...I'd want some affirmation that the recommendations and advice I got on the sound plan actually paid off with some objective measurements but I've found that seems to be the exception rather than the rule.  Of course, I know subjectively things must sound pretty good but I like to take the subjectivity out of the equation as much as possible.  I'm glad to see you've at least taken an active interest in trying to measure your room.  Most of your experience with Audyssey and the "what happened to my bass" is answered here:

f)5. Since I ran Audyssey everything sounds great - but where has my bass gone?

I wouldn't underestimate the fact that we've all pretty much been conditioned to listening to bass outside of movie reference standards as reference bass tends to be somewhat underwhelming in comparision.  Certainly an acquired taste but I'd think running +6 dB hot might mean that you've not quite acclimated yet! cool.gif   I would also recommend that you always adjust your gain in the AVR rather than the sub itself but I think the fact that you alluded to possibly doing so was prior to your discussion with Mark Seaton.  His new power and slave dual setup might be pefect for your theater (and save you some $$$) if the ideal location for both subs remains equidistant from MLP.

It would be really interesting to see your FR's, ETC's and waterfalls/bass decay plots for your theater.  There is a great group of guys over in the USB mic and REW thread and since it has over 5k posts, you might want to skip to just reading the fantastic guide that AustinJerry has put together for beginners of REW and USB mics (with or without HDMI connections).  Post your FR's and waterfalls to start and I'm sure you'll get plenty of feedback there.  Anyway, I'll keep my fingers crossed to hopefully see some measurements soon!

Thanks! (For the compliment and the links for the REW pages) Yes with the 3 day weekend coming, I will have the time to do it, I just need to kick myself to do it! I did have several discussions with Mark and used his Audyssey recommendations and it did make a big difference. I do have "good" bass but not "great" bass. I also think that the Submersive Master/Slave options are perfect for my theater and was looking at this just yesterday actually. The party that initially contacted me about possibly buying the pair of my Axiom subs is currently not able to still do so, so I'd have to worry about that whole mess. So I do plan to measure my room at some point (Hopefully as soon as this weekend) and I do still have a significant interest in buying a pair of submersives.

What I can also tell you is that I have had two theaters in two different houses, one was treated with an actual plan (This one) and one just had a few basic panels put on the walls (No measurements of where just centered them between my columns) and both theaters used the exact same speakers. The sound difference is night and day between the two. Granted, I ran the original Audyssey in the first theater, and XT32 in this theater, so the EQ was a lot different. But I had a lot of problems hearing vocals in my previous theater and the bass was either super boomy or non-existant. I could never get it EQ'd properly. Everything meshes very well in my current theater and sounds great, I just want to "FEEL" more bass, that's all. That's purely my opinion but it was an obvious sounding difference between the two theaters.
post #2098 of 2568 Old 10-12-2013, 08:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 1087
Quote:

The drive upgrades were not a big deal. Upgrading a drive just runs overnight. The parity replacement is a little more time consuming though. I went from a 3TB -> 4TB, so that required all of the pre-clearing and then a rebuild and then a check. That takes some time. Though i could use my old 3TB parity drive now as one of my replacement drives to the old 1.5TB drives. 2 of 4 of my 1.5TB drives are now upgraded. I still have to pre-clear my other two new drives before I can upgrade those. I shouldn't need to do another NAS upgrade for a couple of years. (Cross Fingers)

If I do any upgrades in the near future, it will likely be the subs. I've just been trying to spend less money lately in lieu of the future pool/patio project that might be coming next year.

How long did it take to pre-clear the 4TB drive ? (That's a big drive !)

I was also going to upgrade my parity to 4TB but after realizing the impact on my parity times I decided to stick with 3TB. What's cool about your set up is you can suffer the super long wait just once, and then it won't matter much. With snapshot I have to "VERIFY" once a month and it takes a while.

The idea of the 4TB is to allow for larger HDD's ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #2099 of 2568 Old 10-12-2013, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

How long did it take to pre-clear the 4TB drive ? (That's a big drive !)

I was also going to upgrade my parity to 4TB but after realizing the impact on my parity times I decided to stick with 3TB. What's cool about your set up is you can suffer the super long wait just once, and then it won't matter much. With snapshot I have to "VERIFY" once a month and it takes a while.

The idea of the 4TB is to allow for larger HDD's ?

Well the 4TB parity was required to use 4TB drives in my array. I have mostly 3TB drives, but have 2 4TB data drives now. I ran a 3-cycle preClear burn in which took about 2 days, but the array was up the whole time that was happening so no big deal. I wanted to make sure my drives got a good workout before putting them into my array. I replace my 4 1.5TB drives with 2 3TB and 2 4TB drives.
post #2100 of 2568 Old 10-12-2013, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Just curious if you have a preference on brand of 4TB drives? Have you seen them for less than $150? I've seen the 3TB's for under $100 so they seem to be the sweet spot right now. I was waiting for BF pricing to upgrade my UnRAID server to release 5 and take advantage of the larger disk sizes.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Optoma Th1060p Projector , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , M80 V3 Floorstanding Speaker Boston Cherry , Sony Vpl Vw95es Full Hd 3d Home Cinema Projector , Seaton Sound Submersive H P
Gear in this thread