http://www.maraschinoproject.com/

Will do, thanks!
post #2403 of 2508 Old 06-09-2014, 11:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 921
Have you ever tried the MB3 server browser interface? It's pretty slick, and it works away from home as well as it does over your own LAN. You can browse, update, manage or whatever you want... you can even select a movie and launch it from work on your theater at home for your wife Or from another machine like a laptop, or tablet. I am not on my PC right now to post some screenies, but it's worth checking out if that sort of thing is what you want. It's the best I have seen as far as browser development goes, it's full function and there is basically no set up at all. All you need to do is install MB server and wait for it to scrape and understand your library, the rest is all built into the platform.

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/730-mb3-server-using-the-web-client/

That post is a bit older and the new platform looks better but that gives you some idea, the project has actually expanded past that. It's amazing that a post from OCT 2013 is so outdated already, but I guess that means MB3 platform is improving rapidly- so that might be a good thing.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #2404 of 2508 Old 06-09-2014, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Have you ever tried the MB3 server browser interface? It's pretty slick, and it works away from home as well as it does over your own LAN. You can browse, update, manage or whatever you want... you can even select a movie and launch it from work on your theater at home for your wife Or from another machine like a laptop, or tablet. I am not on my PC right now to post some screenies, but it's worth checking out if that sort of thing is what you want. It's the best I have seen as far as browser development goes, it's full function and there is basically no set up at all. All you need to do is install MB server and wait for it to scrape and understand your library, the rest is all built into the platform.

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/730-mb3-server-using-the-web-client/

That post is a bit older and the new platform looks better but that gives you some idea, the project has actually expanded past that. It's amazing that a post from OCT 2013 is so outdated already, but I guess that means MB3 platform is improving rapidly- so that might be a good thing.

I know all of those things, starting playback from an ipad was a major reason for looking into mb3 in the first place. However I've seen several things that work for XBMC that do that too.
post #2405 of 2508 Old 06-09-2014, 04:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

You might want to run your XBMC from MB server... You can retain a lot of the superior MB3 functionality but keep the XBMC skin you like too. I use MB3 on ROKU more often than on the HTPC these days... simply because the ROKU is in the living room and with the twins birth I spend more time with them in there. The MB3 server can bring you a ton of extra stuff but you can retain XBMC for that look and feel you prefer.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #2406 of 2508 Old 06-09-2014, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

You might want to run your XBMC from MB server... You can retain a lot of the superior MB3 functionality but keep the XBMC skin you like too. I use MB3 on ROKU more often than on the HTPC these days... simply because the ROKU is in the living room and with the twins birth I spend more time with them in there. The MB3 server can bring you a ton of extra stuff but you can retain XBMC for that look and feel you prefer.

I like the look and feel of XBMC. (esp the Aeon Nox skin) I don't own a roku, I have a PS3 at each TV for everthing I need. There really isn't anything I need MB3 server for. At this point the only thing I'm missing is the embedded player, which MB3T will eventually have and run decently, but just isn't quite good enough atm. I get that you love that product man, but I just don't need it. (right now) I plan to move to MB3 once MBT is done I think so it supports everything I need internally.
ellisr63 likes this.
post #2407 of 2508 Old 06-13-2014, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well that took a LOT longer than expected. I finally picked out a granite. Looking at slabs with "motion" patterns was a painful experience. Too many color variations or "blotches" or random things that made the experience absurdly annoying. I must have visited at least a dozen granite slab warehouses. Most places will not move an exotic grade slab for you unless you buy it, others may move one at most. If there is a slab on hold, you can't even see another slab than the one you can't even buy in some cases. Crazy.

In any case, I think I decided to go with "AJ Brown", which is an exotic slab that has movement from side to side. It is a brown, silver/grey, and cream based slab, all blended. Should go well with our brown cabinets, tile, and contrast the lighter colors of the stone wall well.

post #2408 of 2508 Old 06-13-2014, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Now that I know the granite, and the measurements of it, I will be able to stain and install the door behind the bar. I hope to start working on that saturday. Assuming everything goes according to plan that should be finished up Monday or Tuesday, and the granite installed sometime next week. Finish the plumbing, and then can get the pendant lights installed, which I still need to select. Then I have to pick a mason to do the stone and it should be finished!
post #2409 of 2508 Old 06-13-2014, 11:02 AM
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon View Post
Now that I know the granite, and the measurements of it, I will be able to stain and install the door behind the bar. I hope to start working on that saturday. Assuming everything goes according to plan that should be finished up Monday or Tuesday, and the granite installed sometime next week. Finish the plumbing, and then can get the pendant lights installed, which I still need to select. Then I have to pick a mason to do the stone and it should be finished!

you make it sound so quick and easy LOL!!!
post #2410 of 2508 Old 06-13-2014, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickers1 View Post
you make it sound so quick and easy LOL!!!
It feels that way... seriously, just selecting the granite seems much harder than any of the other work so far. Something that should have been so easy was so mentally exhausting. With that in mind, something like installing a door or applying stain doesn't feel difficult at all!
snickers1 likes this.
post #2411 of 2508 Old 06-14-2014, 06:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
D, where are all the pictures you took yesterday?

I'll share a couple of the installed minimalist screen wall and the obligatory blue tape shot.

Big, what is the black item under the two posts? Plate?

Equipment: Denon AVR-4520, Fusion Tempest (LCR), Fusion Alchemy (4xSurrounds+Wides+Heights),15" Dayton Ultimax X 4, SMX 2.35:1 Screen
Theater Build
DIY Speaker / Sub Build
post #2412 of 2508 Old 06-14-2014, 09:19 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 679
Some pieces of wood, must have recycled something that was already painted black. Wait I take that back, That is my patented screen vibration dampening system and I make it available wholesale for $179 free shipping. Paypal accepted.
post #2413 of 2508 Old 06-15-2014, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff in Canada View Post
Quote:
D, where are all the pictures you took yesterday?

I'll share a couple of the installed minimalist screen wall and the obligatory blue tape shot.

Big, what is the black item under the two posts? Plate?
The posts are basically 3 pieces. There is the square beam itself, along with a thin piece screwed to the front to make it "deeper". and then a flat square of wood screwed to the bottom. The reason to screw the square to the bottom was so that the two sides where it sticks out can be screwed into the stage. Thus, a way to easily secure it. Angled screws or nails would have been sort of shoddy work. BIG thinks of everything.
post #2414 of 2508 Old 06-16-2014, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well the weekend project was completed as planned. I got the 2nd door in and stained. I'm not thrilled with the "Evenness" of the stain (Probably because it wasn't done the right way), but it does match the cabinets. I think the biggest thing is that there is no "Finish" over the stain yet. Still need to add sanding sealer and/or varnish. No pics yet.

The granite is scheduled to be put in on Wednesday morning. At that point I will start to get some pics. I'm still trying to find a stone mason though. The guy who does our neighbor's landscaping has a brother who does good work but he is booked full. So I have been trying to get quotes and estimates. So far I've received only one, and it was about twice what I expected it to be.

I ended up doing a bunch of extra projects over the weekend, like several more shelving units in storage rooms, cutting down a couple of tress, digging out stumps... I used a grub axe (Which is like a root pick-axe) instead of an axe and my shoulders have been beyond sore. I could barely lift my arms yesterday.

My break time ended up being watching a cheesy sci-fi movie called "The Colony", because I like any sort of apocalyptic/survival movie. The plot was silly, but I like dark corridors and frozen over wastelands in sets (Like the Nostromo, Hoth, etc) Anyway.. there were a few scenes where the bass levels were amazing. A couple of nice dynamite explosions delivered a really nice low-end rumble from my Submersives. It's funny, because people always mention things like "The Pod Scene" for a demo. I thought of this immediately after hearing this low freq bass in the Colony... what was different? The Pod Scene is just plain loud... in almost all frequencies. It has low bass, but it also has mid bass, and high frequencies of things shattering and cracking. This was just LOW end rumble. And it was pleasing in a different way. I smiled when I heard it and again re-affirmed that this was what I expect from subs in my theater. That being said, I'll repeat the movie was cheesy. I was even tempted to fast forward though some of the combat scenes because it was just more and more of the same. The drama was a LITTLE better, (though not much) even though Bill Paxton was very one-dimensional and boring. Lawrence Fishburne's character was probably the only one with any amount of passable acting, mostly just delivery in this case. There wasn't much to work with in this script. Still, it was mostly eye-candy escapism for me.

I'm also a bit depressed because I know I won't get any more Game of Thrones until next year. Though I've read the whole series several times, I still have a feeling they might flip things around in the show since the creators seem determined to change the story as much as possible. This season was excellent though.

Last edited by damelon; 06-16-2014 at 07:05 AM.
post #2415 of 2508 Old 06-16-2014, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Wow, that is an amazing looking granite. Can't wait to see how it looks installed.
As always, looking good and keep the updates coming.
I hear ya on GOT.. Time to sit back and wait for the next season, maybe go back and rewatch some old seasons. I haven't read the books, so I tend to get lost quite often.

Last edited by sgolko; 06-16-2014 at 08:09 AM.
post #2416 of 2508 Old 06-16-2014, 08:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon View Post

My break time ended up being watching a cheesy sci-fi movie called "The Colony", because I like any sort of apocalyptic/survival movie. The plot was silly, but I like dark corridors and frozen over wastelands in sets (Like the Nostromo, Hoth, etc) Anyway.. there were a few scenes where the bass levels were amazing. A couple of nice dynamite explosions delivered a really nice low-end rumble from my Submersives. It's funny, because people always mention things like "The Pod Scene" for a demo. I thought of this immediately after hearing this low freq bass in the Colony... what was different? The Pod Scene is just plain loud... in almost all frequencies. It has low bass, but it also has mid bass, and high frequencies of things shattering and cracking. This was just LOW end rumble. And it was pleasing in a different way. I smiled when I heard it and again re-affirmed that this was what I expect from subs in my theater. That being said, I'll repeat the movie was cheesy. I was even tempted to fast forward though some of the combat scenes because it was just more and more of the same. The drama was a LITTLE better, (though not much) even though Bill Paxton was very one-dimensional and boring. Lawrence Fishburne's character was probably the only one with any amount of passable acting, mostly just delivery in this case. There wasn't much to work with in this script. Still, it was mostly eye-candy escapism for me.

I'm also a bit depressed because I know I won't get any more Game of Thrones until next year. Though I've read the whole series several times, I still have a feeling they might flip things around in the show since the creators seem determined to change the story as much as possible. This season was excellent though.

I liked that movie the colony too.

I'm also depressed game of thrones is over. I heard they are doing more books and story lines to extend the season. Let's hope.

-

post #2417 of 2508 Old 06-17-2014, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgolko View Post
Wow, that is an amazing looking granite. Can't wait to see how it looks installed.
As always, looking good and keep the updates coming.
I hear ya on GOT.. Time to sit back and wait for the next season, maybe go back and rewatch some old seasons. I haven't read the books, so I tend to get lost quite often.
I stopped in the fabrication office this morning to verify the template and see that they got the slab there ok. They told me that when the slab got moved there, the forklift that moves slabs ran out of propane as it was moving it and it was just stuck there with the slab dangling in the clamp swinging back and forth due to the sudden stop. Fortunately nothing happened or they would have to pay for a new one. hehe. Anyway it all looked great and will just barely all fit on the slab. We have to make one small seam on the corner of the front bar in the back, but other than that should be 2 large pieces and mostly seamless.

I can see how GOT can be confusing. They are trying their best to take the best lines and best scenes out of the book and put them in the show, but so much of the motivation and plot sometimes only gets small nibbles instead of broad brush strokes... they have to change the story sometimes to allow a monologue so a character can spell out their motivations to make up for skipped backstory. Some changes work out in the end but others are baffling. They have decided to make Jaime and Tyrion best friends to the end, but they are much more conflicted in the books when Jaime returns and has serious doubts about if Tyrion killed his son or not. They even have a major falling out too that really breaks Tyrion. Still, the worst offender to me was the whole addition to the return to Crasters keep and the whole fight there... was completely unnecessary and didn't really have a point. Still a lot of the loose ends have been tied up now and a lot seems to be back on track. The interesting thing is that the show has this desperate need to keep showing what goes on with all of the characters, and as a result has really fast-forwarded the timelines of certain character's stories. This worries me because in the next couple of seasons the source material for those characters will quickly run out and since they haven't liked to ignore certain characters, that leads me to think the writers will start adding non-existant material. What makes the show so good is that Martin's source dialogue and material is so good. If they stray too far it could get silly.

Last edited by damelon; 06-17-2014 at 07:47 AM.
post #2418 of 2508 Old 06-20-2014, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Update - So the granite is finally in! Sorry, no pictures quite yet. We have been trying to tie up a lot of loose ends on the project. We have had the first estimate for mason work, and a 2nd mason stopped by today, so the 2nd estimate should come in shortly, and we have a 3rd coming on Sunday to estimate the work. 3 is a good number usually when it comes to contractor work, unless you have BIG working for you in which case you just sign him up!

So we ordered the pendant lights and sconces. The pendants have shipped already but the sconces are on backorder for a couple of weeks. The TV should arrive on Saturday and I have the mount already. I should be able to wire up the speakers for the rec room tomorrow.

Here is a pic of the pendants we ordered

There is about 1-2 days of general work on the bar area left. Need to install the front-side wood paneling to the bar, along with all of the base trim to cover the seams. We will likely add additional trim later to beautify it. Also have to do all of the remainder of the base boards along the bottom of the cabinets, put in the glass shelves and panes, and select some cabinet knob hardware. I can do without it for now but will need it soon enough.

Now that the sink is in, I can finish up the plumbing to the drain and water supplies to the faucet as well. We also decided on some bar stools but have not yet ordered them.

The glass shelves should arrive next Monday.

These are the stools we think we're getting. Mostly we chose them since they have no wood to color match, and the iron should easily tie in with the rest of the area.

Last edited by damelon; 06-20-2014 at 10:18 AM.
post #2419 of 2508 Old 06-23-2014, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Update: The quotes are coming in! Unfortunately I don't think I am going to meet my July deadline. Most people are booked until early-mid July, so I still will have some time before my stone work gets done. I will try to get all of the other work finished this week though. I got the TV mounted on Saturday, put some sealer on the wood door, but not much else. I purchased all of the knobs for the cabinets and the pendants should arrive tomorrow, so Maybe I'll take a day off at the end of the week and finish up the final trim work and then the project will be finished until after the holiday. That is, unless a mason comes through for me, which looks very unlikely.
post #2420 of 2508 Old 06-25-2014, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Getting closer! So a few things are done. Basic trim and backing is finished on the front of the bar. Granite is installed. Knobs are installed on all of the doors. Fridge moved into position. Door installed and stained.

Overall progress photo (A little dark) Can't really see the side lights or anything yet. I'll get some good photos when it is done.

Here are a few shots of the granite

Fridge in position! Yes, there is a bit of a gap on the side, but that will be filled in by stone which will wrap the left corner. Measuring it, it should fit quite snug after that. The lights are off on this pic.

Trying to get everything mostly up and running by the hoilday. By the weekend I should have the pendant lights installed, bar stools assembled, plumbing finished, glass windows and shelves in. I hope that the stone will get put in the week after the 4th (On the 7th+) Sorry that all of my photos so far have been from my iphone. I've become lazy. When things are finished I'll use the real camera and get some better quality shots.
TeflonSoul likes this.
post #2421 of 2508 Old 06-25-2014, 11:54 AM
CEO FALCON SCREENS

looks great and BTW it took me looking 3 times before i noticed the door going into your equipment room which i think was one of the things you wanted to accomplish?
it matches the cabinets perfectly. Great Job!!!
post #2422 of 2508 Old 06-25-2014, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickers1 View Post
looks great and BTW it took me looking 3 times before i noticed the door going into your equipment room which i think was one of the things you wanted to accomplish?
it matches the cabinets perfectly. Great Job!!!
Yeah it does. Sure I got stain on the wall but that will be invisible later. It was one of the things I wanted to do though, I just wanted to hide it, and gave up on that due to cost.
post #2423 of 2508 Old 06-25-2014, 05:55 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 679
Great piece of stone, it is looking good, In one picture I see the pool table is playing the same role it did during the theater project.
post #2424 of 2508 Old 06-25-2014, 08:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Looks awesome!! We'll done. Can't wait to see the finished product.
post #2425 of 2508 Old 06-26-2014, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Great piece of stone, it is looking good, In one picture I see the pool table is playing the same role it did during the theater project.
Haha you noticed the pool "workbench"? I told my wife you noticed that and she just sort of glared at me and said "so when ARE you going to clean that off anyway?" Which pretty much means right away. Actually I can probably do that now as the "tool" work is mostly done. We are really happy with the granite. Waiting on the stone is a big PITA though. Quotes have been all over the place. We should get the last one tonight and make our decision. The guy who has yet to give us a quote is the one I liked the best when I met him, so I hope his price and schedule are good.
post #2426 of 2508 Old 06-30-2014, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

More photos coming soon! Finished up most of the basics for the bar this weekend. Making a last run to home depot today to pick up some things for pre-stone prep work. I couldn't quite finish everything because the weather was so nice, and our neighbor was out of town which meant free pool usage for us and our guests. So lots of lazy floating for me!

Got the sink installed and the plumbing finished for the Dishwasher and the Ice Maker. Started making ice! I don't trust my plumbing skills completely so I went back this morning to make sure I didn't have a nice pool of water growing somewhere. Looks like the drainage pump works. I picked this particular ice maker because it came with one built in already for the same price as the other one I saw.

Got all of the glass shelves and doors in but I will need to make adjustments based on the size of my glasses. I usually wait until I have them all to do this but I wanted to get the boxes thrown out too. Since I have all of the glass windows in my cabinets I needed glasses that looked the part. So went and ordered quite a bit of beer and drink glasses. I have some wine glasses I'm not thrilled about but they will do short term. Those should all arrive by tomorrow.

I still need to install the pull door for the sink where any sponges may go as well as the cabinet knob there. (Forgot it) Also need to install a bunch of gang box extenders prior to the stone work so they work around them and pre-drill all of the holes for my glass shelving I will use for my bottles. Will use some plastic sleeves around the screws so the stone masons can work around those too. Then at least I don't need to drill through the stone directly and risk cracking it.

Pool table light also got put in, so need to get some bulbs for that and the pendants today too. Still, it is all coming along! One bar stool assembled and 3 to go!
post #2427 of 2508 Old 07-07-2014, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

All work completed before stone is to be installed!

Here is a shot of the whole bar! You can see the pendant lights, the glass in the cabinets, the bar stools, etc.

A Closeup of the back cabinet area

Pictures of the new glasses

Here iis the icemaker!

And a fridge full of craft beers

Stone work to begin this week we hope!
post #2428 of 2508 Old 07-07-2014, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I would be 30lbs heavier with a fridge like that. Bar looks great. Can't wait to see how the stone transforms the look of the space.
post #2429 of 2508 Old 07-07-2014, 09:10 AM
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanice View Post
I would be 30lbs heavier with a fridge like that. Bar looks great. Can't wait to see how the stone transforms the look of the space.

i know looks like he may need a ABC licence
post #2430 of 2508 Old 07-07-2014, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 45
That fridge is WAY too full.

Let me know if you need any help remedying that.

My Home Theater Build: The Vortex Theater Build
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Optoma Th1060p Projector , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , M80 V3 Floorstanding Speaker Boston Cherry , Sony Vpl Vw95es Full Hd 3d Home Cinema Projector , Seaton Sound Submersive H P
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page