AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper View Post
That fridge is WAY too full.

Let me know if you need any help remedying that.
+1.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2432 of 2512 Old 07-07-2014, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper View Post
That fridge is WAY too full.

Let me know if you need any help remedying that.
Well it is less full than that now We had a 4th of July party, though much more people were drinking Coronas and cocktails instead of strong beers. Big parties bring some bring drinkers! A friend of ours polished off almost a whole bottle of Jameson on his own.
post #2433 of 2512 Old 07-07-2014, 11:23 AM
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon View Post
Well it is less full than that now We had a 4th of July party, though much more people were drinking Coronas and cocktails instead of strong beers. Big parties bring some bring drinkers! A friend of ours polished off almost a whole bottle of Jameson on his own.
wow i have friend that visits from Massachusetts that arrives on Friday with the monster bottle of Jameson and by Sunday morning it is gone along with two cases of beer.... he may have a prob
Jameson is some strong stuff
post #2434 of 2512 Old 07-07-2014, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Looks awesome! Nice job! Be careful if the fridge light stays on all the time. I'd put the clear bottles on the bottom shelf as they seem to skunk a lot easier when exposed to light.
post #2435 of 2512 Old 07-08-2014, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkasanic View Post
Looks awesome! Nice job! Be careful if the fridge light stays on all the time. I'd put the clear bottles on the bottom shelf as they seem to skunk a lot easier when exposed to light.
It's not really an issue. First, I don't leave the light on all of the time. It is an incandescent bulb, so there is very little damaging light, and all of the bottles there are brown anyway. I don't expect any bottle to be there long term, but the bulb/glass color combo is pretty safe long term. I do appreciate your concern for the safety of my beer, though! If I do get any clear bottled beer (or green) I will keep it on the bottom. I think I do have 1 or 2 large bottles of things like Saison Dupont and La Chouffe (Both some of my favorites) at the very bottom, so I am ok there.

Last edited by damelon; 07-08-2014 at 07:07 AM.
post #2436 of 2512 Old 07-08-2014, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickers1 View Post
wow i have friend that visits from Massachusetts that arrives on Friday with the monster bottle of Jameson and by Sunday morning it is gone along with two cases of beer.... he may have a prob
Jameson is some strong stuff
Yeah, some people can just down their liquor. I may have a cocktail now and then, but never more than one. Usually always beer at parties to make life easier and pace myself as I am a thin man. Plus I get chronic migraine headaches, so i try to control my consumption, unlike my college days where all bets were off. Then I watch others do like this guy and just down a whole bottle of whisky or vodka and wonder where it all goes. I know how I am after a fraction of that, and they just can keep pounding it down. For my Polish friends, Vodka is a way of life. But I tend to only see this during big parties. We do get together often enough for dinners or camp fires and they will just have a few beers and that's it. So at least it isn't out of control. On our big parties (We do 100+ person 4th of July and Halloween parties) we see several people who get hammered. Less often on the 4th though since many people have their kids.
post #2437 of 2512 Old 07-08-2014, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I do feel the need to now and then muse on my theater experiences as I notice them. So we have two couples visiting from Poland right now and so we are now and then watching some movies we have seen before. Last night we watched "The Conjuring" as they had not yet seen it. I have seen this film before and really liked it as a Horror movie. I am not really a "Slasher" movie fan, but really enjoy movies that mess with your mind, like the Exorcist. My thoughts of the film aside, I found some polish subtitles online and we sat and watched it again. The reason I am posting about it is that I had not watched it before with my new Submersives. I think sometimes we get too tied up in watching "Demo discs" that we forget about every day movies that had LFE we never knew was there. This movie had a lot of excellent LFE in it that I just didn't experience previously. The submersives really shined and brought a totally new experience to this film. There are a lot of scenes that use sound as the "scare" factor and when a noise becomes a sonic rumble or actually causes a feeling on your skin, then it amplifies its effect. This stood out several times during this movie and I had guests asking how many damn speakers I had behind my screen after the movie was over. Very nice!
BrolicBeast likes this.
post #2438 of 2512 Old 07-15-2014, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Stone prep-work started today. Pulled out all of the outlets and moved a few things around. They will be doing paper/wire-mesh followed by a ribbed concrete base. (Will get a photo at the end of the day) From there they just start applying stone! I'm quite excited to get this project finished.
post #2439 of 2512 Old 07-15-2014, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here are a couple of the photos of the initial prep-work of the walls

Korompisp likes this.
post #2440 of 2512 Old 07-15-2014, 04:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Is that mortar wet ? That's a lot to put up at once, won't it dry before you get there ? I usually work in smaller sections at time, perhaps I'm just slow

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #2441 of 2512 Old 07-15-2014, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
Is that mortar wet ? That's a lot to put up at once, won't it dry before you get there ? I usually work in smaller sections at time, perhaps I'm just slow
It's supposed to be dry. The initial mesh is to hold the concrete backing and the ribbed concrete backing is supposed to dry. Then you apply wet concrete to the back of the stone and push it into the dry ribbed backing.
post #2442 of 2512 Old 07-15-2014, 04:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

It's hard to tell from your pics, it looked wet like you were getting ready to stick the stones up.

-

post #2443 of 2512 Old 07-15-2014, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
It's hard to tell from your pics, it looked wet like you were getting ready to stick the stones up.
They might start to put up the stone tomorrow, but they didn't finish the prep work yet. I don't think it completely dried because of the color but it wasn't soft to the touch.
post #2444 of 2512 Old 07-16-2014, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The prep work was completed today!

Coming around the corner you can see where the prep work dried from yesterday vs the wet from today and the beginnings of the stone going up...

And the area around the theater door which is now surrounded by stone.
I'm still not sold on the door/trim color going with the stone. I may start a conversation with the wife about painting it black. Your thoughts?

post #2445 of 2512 Old 07-16-2014, 06:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Nice looking stone.

-

post #2446 of 2512 Old 07-16-2014, 07:06 PM
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Looks awsome , are you thinking of maybe changing the color of the theater door? can't believe i am gonna say this but do you think maybe brown color like the darker stones in the wall or maybe color that matches the darker color in the granite. i dunno maybe when the tape comes off and the wall is complete the red will still look good. dang i just scrolled up and saw your on the fence to and i refuse to hit my back space button LOL!!!!
post #2447 of 2512 Old 07-16-2014, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickers1 View Post
Looks awsome , are you thinking of maybe changing the color of the theater door? can't believe i am gonna say this but do you think maybe brown color like the darker stones in the wall or maybe color that matches the darker color in the granite. i dunno maybe when the tape comes off and the wall is complete the red will still look good. dang i just scrolled up and saw your on the fence to and i refuse to hit my back space button LOL!!!!
Well I have brought the topic up to my wife a few times now... that I think we will need to re-paint it (prior to putting in the stone) and it pretty much looks like I expected it to (though it seems much brighter in the picture than it really is) but the whole room is quite neutral... I think it will blend in much better if it is a neutral color.
snickers1 likes this.
post #2448 of 2512 Old 07-17-2014, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 332
I think the door looks great just like that. It look like some of the stones have a slight reddish hue to them that compliment the door nicely. Plus, the door to a theater like yours deserves an entry door that doesn't, in the conventional sense, blend into a sea of earthen tones. Let it stand out...or as my wife would say: "the color adds some pop."
post #2449 of 2512 Old 07-17-2014, 08:50 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I really like the stone work, that's awesome. I have given thought of doing that on the lower half of the wall in my theater room, from the chair rail down. I am not quite sure what that would do to the acoustics though. but I think it would look cool.
Really nice job on the whole project!
post #2450 of 2512 Old 07-17-2014, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
I think the door looks great just like that. It look like some of the stones have a slight reddish hue to them that compliment the door nicely. Plus, the door to a theater like yours deserves an entry door that doesn't, in the conventional sense, blend into a sea of earthen tones. Let it stand out...or as my wife would say: "the color adds some pop."
Well as I mentioned I have brought it up several times to the wife, and every time she stated she wanted to keep it that way. It might never even be a decision I get to make!

My current issue is trying to find all of the right kind of gang box extenders. Most are single boxes, but I do have 2 2-gang and 1 3-gang I need to get extended probably around 2" to be able to put a cover on. I am pretty sure I can find a combo of 1-gang extenders to do the job but there are much fewer options in the 2+ gang venues. I should have wall-mounted some masonry boxes now that I think about it but it is a bit late for that.
post #2451 of 2512 Old 07-17-2014, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Man those guys work fast. It looks really nice.

I was between the individual stone pieces like you have and the 4" x 24" panels, but ended up buying the panels. Now that I see your stone going up I hope I made the right choice for my basement bar stonework!

Box extenders beyond one gang are tough to find in my area as well. Here's a link I've used in the past if you'd like to order some up: http://www.cableorganizer.com/arling....html#features
post #2452 of 2512 Old 07-17-2014, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
Man those guys work fast. It looks really nice.

I was between the individual stone pieces like you have and the 4" x 24" panels, but ended up buying the panels. Now that I see your stone going up I hope I made the right choice for my basement bar stonework!

Box extenders beyond one gang are tough to find in my area as well. Here's a link I've used in the past if you'd like to order some up: http://www.cableorganizer.com/arling....html#features
I had looked into a lot of different stone options as well. Real stone vs veneer. Panels and DIY. There were these Tetris-Shaped ledgestone boxes Lowes sold which were very thin and you linked them together like a puzzle and they looked decent. The main problem with those though was that they were meant for a single flat wall, and had no nice corner options. I really hadn't decided on the stone until I saw the catalog from ElDorado. Being able to see something installed vs in a box or on a display always changes your perspective. I loved some of their photos so I went with that stone. They are working fast but I still estimate 2 more full days of work after today at least. They may finish putting up the stone today, or may not, but they still will have to grout it and clean up. Maybe they can do that all by the end of the day tomorrow but we'll see. Considering the price I'm paying I'm surprised they have so many workers on site. There are at least 4 people there all day, and they were my 2nd lowest quote. (One other quote was almost double)

I had seen those exact box extenders already this morning but I won't be able to just put them in like they show in their videos. You could literally pull that extender out of the wall when you unplugged something since it really doesn't connect to anything except the recepticle/switch and the wall plate. Since there is stone around them though, I can always surround them with mortar or some kind of caulk to make it "stick". That may be my only choice with the 2 & 3 gang boxes.
post #2453 of 2512 Old 07-18-2014, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
To make a double gang extender, you can take a regular double gang box, cut the back out of it with a hack saw, jig saw or dremmel, then glue it in place with some PL or liquid nails.
post #2454 of 2512 Old 07-18-2014, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedoflight View Post
To make a double gang extender, you can take a regular double gang box, cut the back out of it with a hack saw, jig saw or dremmel, then glue it in place with some PL or liquid nails.
I may end up doing this. I should be getting normal extenders by tomorrow in the mail and if they don't work I'll just DIY them as you say.

I should be able to post final pictures tomorrow I believe. The grouting should be finished today. I will still have to do some little things here and there, like paint the inside of the wine rack drywall, put some decorative moulding on the front face of the bar cabinets where the stools are, etc.

I should be able to get the glass shelves on the wall this weekend, but the electrical may have to wait depending on what I need to do with the extenders.

Last edited by damelon; 07-18-2014 at 01:52 PM.
post #2455 of 2512 Old 07-18-2014, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Photos : 95% completion! Still missing electrical faceplates, glass bottle shelves, some trim moulding, wall sconces, and paint / lights for the wine rack interior.

This is sort of a "whole room" shot from the entrance to the basement. The foosball table is out of place still and such but here we go.

Bar area coming from the center of the room. (If you look you can still see the white drywall through the wine rack.. this will be fixed, and it will be lit) Notice that the gaps around the fridge are now gone!

From the other side (No shelves yet, and shelf lighting off)

Turned off the pendants the the shelf lights on. The camera over-brightened it a little...

Fridge and wine rack

24Changer likes this.
post #2456 of 2512 Old 07-18-2014, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Looks Awesome!
post #2457 of 2512 Old 07-19-2014, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 216
The stone was a great choice. And if the red theater door looks in real life like it does in that picture, then I think you're good like that. But I was leaning towards it needing a new color before.
post #2458 of 2512 Old 07-19-2014, 09:34 AM
CEO FALCON SCREENS

yep i think i take back what i said about the door .... it belnds well and gives just enough of break up in the wall if you match the door to the stone then it would like one giant stone wall

huge transformaton from when i saw it last ... to pups must be mad now

you did a awesome job it now complements the Theater that Jeff and you worked so hard to make epic.
post #2459 of 2512 Old 07-19-2014, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks! I'm really happy how it turned out. The grouting is lightening up a little, it was very dark when it was still wet and it is changing to a light grey. I took those last photos with the Nikon so they are much more realistic color wise. It doesn't have that "oversaturated" look that the iphone gives when the lighting is a little bit dimmer. So that is how the door really looks, and the majority of people have agreed that they like it the way it is, so for now, the door stays.

I'm also thrilled with how well the granite goes with everything. I'm glad I spent so much time deciding on it. I also discussed the remaining "to do" list, and for now the wife does not want me to paint the interior of the wine rack walls. Once it is full of wine and lit she would like a little bit lighter backing instead of a "shadowed" interior. We couldn't say enough with how professional the masons were with our stone work. They ended up doing it in about 3 total days (middle of tuesday through the middle of friday) and had 5 people working. For the price, that was pretty incredible, and they all did an excellent job, cleaned up very neatly, and went out of their way to not make a mess. They even hauled all of the pallets, scrap, trash, etc in their trailer. Considering they were the 2nd lowest estimate out of all the estimates, I think we picked that out well. We would recommend them to anyone. There were also 1-2 supervisors always on site who spoke perfect english... for labor related jobs that is a big plus these days.

Just put up the first shelf, which was trickier than I thought since the stone is not flat. Some of the brackets need to be out a little further than I expected, so I think I will be stopping by the store and getting 1/2" longer screws for the lower 2 shelves.

I'm going to get a few random outlet colors to see what I like. Going to test out brown behind the bar, and am not sure if I will trim and recess the covers or extend them to the end of the stone. In hindsight, I should have put on all of the covers except for the sconces and had them stone around the plates recessed in.
post #2460 of 2512 Old 07-19-2014, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Other update.. so at the moment I am at a loss on what to do for my 2nd shelf. I suppose I should have been more hands on during the install explaining that I need it relatively flat in that area, but there is a huge piece of stone that of course sticks out more than any piece right where my 2nd shelf would go. The difference is at least an inch. To make my shelf bracket work it would need to be mounted further out from the wall. I'd need some sort of wood or metal backing between the bracket and the stone/mortar. Headache alert! The top shelf does seem fairly secure but the bottom shelf would need a little larger support, so I am switching the brackets so there is about 1.5" more depth to the support.

Here was a quick take of the top shelf with a few bottles on it

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Optoma Th1060p Projector , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , M80 V3 Floorstanding Speaker Boston Cherry , Sony Vpl Vw95es Full Hd 3d Home Cinema Projector , Seaton Sound Submersive H P
Gear in this thread - Th1060p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page