The "Bacon Race" Theater / Patio / Bar Project - Page 83 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2461 of 2473 Old 07-21-2014, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 108
So I think I have figured out what I'm going to do for the most part to resolve most of my "finishing" problems with the bar project....

First, when I made an estimate on the screws for the glass shelves, I based it off of the stone depth + drywall + an inch into the stud. What I forgot was the backing to the stone, which with the mesh was a good 1/2", so my screws came up a little short. As a result, I ordered screws to adjust for this, but because they are not normal size, I had to get them online instead of at a local store. I had the maximum length I could purchase already there. I should get those this week.

Second, after some careful calculations, there is no way I can put the 2nd shelf where I planned to. In fact, it could not intersect any of the large piece of stone to the right of the rightmost bracket because it was by far the largest stone on the wall, and the angle the shelf would need to be to cover this would not work with a flat backed shelf. The middle shelf was already planned to be offset, but not by much, only 6-8" or so. So I thought I could offset it more to the next stud. What I didn't notice is that since it is so close to a corner, and that we had two different turns close by on that wall, the next stud was 18" over and not 16" over, the shelf was not long enough to fit. There is a glass company just down the road however, and they sell custom length shelves, so I ordered a shelf that should fit exactly based on where the stud would be and where the bracket would go. This should take a week.

Third, because of the variable protrusions of the varied pieces of stone, the shelves of course could not rest completely flush against the wall. This means that either the brackets may not be flush against the wall, or the shelf might not come 100% back to the brackets. The brackets I purchased of a minimal depth for an 8" deep shelf, so they were unable to hold a shelf sturdy for the 3rd shelf down. As a result I ordered new "Raven" brackets instead of the "Peacock" brackets that I had. This should provide additional stability. Also, some of the places where the studs are happen to be where a vertical groove of mortar is residing, meaning that there is no solid backing for the bracket to rest against. I will buy some flat pieces of steel or aluminum to brace it across these sections, or if required, a thin piece to span the entire width of the shelf across all 3 mounting points, thus giving it a flush backing base.

Although the top shelf seems to be study, I will replace the brackets with the deeper ones there too to make sure my "top shelf" bottles can be placed there and not have to worry about the shelf falling.

This should take care of my shelving issues.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for the outlets and switches, I swapped all of the ones in the bar to "Brown", and they are currently surface mounted. Some of the boxes like the GFCI box, I used several extender boxes, but on others I just used long screws with nuts to extend it. I did have issues again when it came to the variable depths of the pieces of stone, so while it looks good from a distance, if you walk up to the back of the bar and look down on the wall plate, you are able to see about a 1/4-1/2" gap along the top of the box to the gap inside where the electronics are. I don't know what I will use yet, But I will probably find some sort of thin plastic corner piece that I can glue to the back of the top of the wall plate, cut to size, and then paint the other edge to match the wall plate.

Some of the switches, such as the "whole house audio" controller outside of the theater are only white, and thus the switches on that box and the wall plate are also white. If I can find a replacement brown plate in the future, I will replace all of these. This wall plate has the same issue as the ones behind the bar. I will use the same solution there. The other one is the media access plate behind the bar to the side. This is currently white, but I am not in a rush to swap it as it is completely recessed into the hole in the stone and can barely be seen from any place except behind the bar.

I believe I still have 2 more single outlets and 1 2-gang box to still swap out... all will be brown.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also finished the sconces last night, and the blend into the wall perfectly. I have dimmable LEDs on the way, and put in a dimmer to switch them so i can turn on mood lighting as needed. I will post a picture tonight or tomorrow. (unlit)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2462 of 2473 Old 07-21-2014, 10:25 AM
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 57
come on .... you can't have a read a book without pictures LOL!!!!!!
TMcG likes this.
post #2463 of 2473 Old 07-21-2014, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickers1 View Post
come on .... you can't have a read a book without pictures LOL!!!!!!
Well I haven't actually done the work to fix it, but I will take pictures of how it doesn't work if you REALLY want. hehe. It's hard to hold up a glass shelf and snap a photo at the same time to explain. Maybe I will borrow one of my house guests and have them hold it up.
post #2464 of 2473 Old 07-21-2014, 10:37 AM
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon View Post
Well I haven't actually done the work to fix it, but I will take pictures of how it doesn't work if you REALLY want. hehe. It's hard to hold up a glass shelf and snap a photo at the same time to explain. Maybe I will borrow one of my house guests and have them hold it up.
LOL i could see there maybe a chance of disaster there
post #2465 of 2473 Old 07-21-2014, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

OK Here is a quick overview of that book... hahaha

Here is a photo of the bar, and the wall where the shelves were going to go.

The red lines indicate where the studs are. These are quite accurate as far as location. You can even see the distance to the leftmost stud is slightly wider than the others.

The light blue lines indicated my original shelf pattern.

The top shelf fit and held, but it is not level, it has a slight tilt from the wall to the end. about 1/4" over the 8" depth. The brackets will fix that.

The middle shelf ran into problems when it intersected the large stone in the green box. Because that stone sticks out at least an inch further than the rest, the angle of the shelf was too great, and to put it on the wall would require the shelf to be extended outwards a long ways on the other side, which would look ugly, or to recess into the stone itself, which can't really be done.

The Yellow line is the "amended" shelf location, which will move it to offset to the next stud, but to do so required the shelf to be about 2.5" longer than it was before. This still might not work well because the two end brackets will literally be end brackets. We will see. This area is much more level though.

The bottom shelf had issues when it came to the center bracket, because it was slightly stuck out more than the end brackets. This would mean the shelf could fit snugly in the left or the right bracket, but not both. The deeper brackets by themselves will solve this problem if I don't make the shelf parallel to the wall, but if I use a piece of metal as a flat backing across the 3 studs also, this would also solve the problem. I'll the results as I work on them.
post #2466 of 2473 Old 07-21-2014, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
A picture really is worth a thousand words!
post #2467 of 2473 Old 07-24-2014, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkasanic View Post
A picture really is worth a thousand words!
Heh, shhh! I can be long-winded sometimes, but it is always easier to explain with a photo. I'll try to do my best with getting some photos on Friday/Saturday when I try to finish up a lot of this. I'll try to get some close-ups of the wall, shelves, and outlet covers so you can see what I'm talking about.

My custom length glass shelf is ready and I will pick it up tomorrow. The new brackets should come today and I received the longer screws yesterday. I also have 2 different types of aluminum I got from home depot that I can use to level out a bracket in case it doesn't screw in close to flat to the wall. I'll post pictures of what I mean with that too.

I think in the end I may end up trimming down some covers and recessing the outlets into the wall. What I have right now works but it is uneven and does not hold up to scrutiny. I purchased an extra set of outlet plates to experiment on. Since they are nylon, I should be able to cut them evenly. (I saw a youtube video where they used a combination of a boxcutter and sharp scissors to make a smooth cut) The issue with trimming down a plate is that you don't know if it will align with the outlets until you've cut it and can fit it into the hole to line it up. I'll have to take a LOT of measurements to make sure I cut it correctly.

I also got my dimmers in so I have 2 different sets of A19 LEDs that are coming from earthLED that are supposedly compatible with these dimmers but we'll see.
post #2468 of 2473 Old 07-26-2014, 06:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

OK! Finally some more photos, though they are more iPhone photos as the camera was not available. :P

Here is one of the wall sconce lights installed

Here are the finished shelves! Everything went as planned. A few brackets needed little random pieces of things wedged under them to keep them level, but I worked it out.

Here is the example of the problem I was having with the outlet covers. From a short distance, they still look semi normal, and the color, although darker, works well.

But since the stone is not flat and the cutouts are not exactly square, there are usually gaps at the top. I will eventually try to trim all of the covers and recess the covers back into the stone. Here is a very close-up picture from the top down to get an idea of what I was talking about

And now I have an update distance shot where you can see the shelves behind the bar. The lights are also all on dimmers now, but since the iphone adjusts color funny, the lights all seem much brighter.
post #2469 of 2473 Old 07-26-2014, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

From the other side (Ignore the ugly towel) you can see the lights in the wine rack (will be adding 2 more on the bottom) Look closely in the back corner behind the bar. You can barely see the recessed white outlet cover for the media inputs.

But if you are behind the bar, you can see it well. It is recessed back about 2 inches into the stone. It has HDMI/Cat6/USB so I can easily use a laptop or ipod to hook up to the TV in the rec room or speakers for music/music videos. I may change this to a 6-port keystone plate and add 2x RCA and a COAX as well. I will probably change that to brown when I do that too.

post #2470 of 2473 Old 07-26-2014, 06:25 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon View Post
Here is the example of the problem I was having with the outlet covers. From a short distance, they still look semi normal, and the color, although darker, works well.
But since the stone is not flat and the cutouts are not exactly square, there are usually gaps at the top. I will eventually try to trim all of the covers and recess the covers back into the stone. Here is a very close-up picture from the top down to get an idea of what I was talking about

Could you fab a form and fill the gap in with mortar or use one sided stick foam, like weather stripping? I believe I have seen in light grey.

Or you could try using a Dremel tool and shave the stone down so that the cover lays flat on the wall

It all looks great though.
post #2471 of 2473 Old 07-26-2014, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24Changer View Post
Could you fab a form and fill the gap in with mortar or use one sided stick foam, like weather stripping? I believe I have seen in light grey.

Or you could try using a Dremel tool and shave the stone down so that the cover lays flat on the wall

It all looks great though.
I had thought originally that I would take some sort of plastic piece or weather stripping, get a small can of paint to match, paint it brown and put it on top on the back of each plate that has issues (Most of them) but while it would protect the wiring it might look kind of goofy under scrutiny. (Same as now) If I could cover it with mortar it would look much better but I'm not sure how well it would hold up since it is sand-based.

Ideally I would have had the plates on to begin with and have them stone around them, making the gaps bigger to fit the plates. The one recessed A/V plate is recessed in, but in that case they did cut the stone, and since the stone is veneer, it doesn't look great when it is cut. The rest of the openings use the natural edges of the stone. So I would prefer to not use Dremel on the stone to make it fit. I would instead prefer to cut the cover to fit. I saw a video on how to make a nice cut, I would just have to be precise with the measurements.
post #2472 of 2473 Old Yesterday, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Awesome job! The bar looks amazing!!!

The Moving Pictures Theater Construction Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1462881/th...ruction-thread

Houston GTG - Summer 2014
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/61-are...l#post26079610
post #2473 of 2473 Old Yesterday, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avtexan View Post
Awesome job! The bar looks amazing!!!
Thanks! I really like how it turned out. At least I'm finished with this year's project! I might mess with cutting some wall plates a bit this week and see how that works.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Optoma Th1060p Projector , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , M80 V3 Floorstanding Speaker Boston Cherry , Sony Vpl Vw95es Full Hd 3d Home Cinema Projector , Seaton Sound Submersive H P
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page