AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by granroth View Post
Best of all worlds might be cw5billwade's 2:1 screen:

I love how well all aspect ratios work. It almost feels like a "no compromises" ratio.
Seymour advertises the 4-way masking 2.0 screen as well, but I wasn't really interested. I love my scope screen size for widescreen movies, it is perfect. The same width screen on a 16:9 format fills my stage area almost exactly, Which means my letterbox size doesn't change, and I get bigger 16:9 content. I also will not have to use lens memory anymore, and only in the case of a multi-format film will I have to have any unmasked bars. From experience, any time I have viewed a 16:9 film, it doesn't look as good without the masking panels. Anyway, I appreciate the input, but I will go with a 16:9 screen if I do this. It just makes things the easiest for me.
granroth likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2552 of 2565 Unread 12-05-2014, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon View Post
As far as the screen, Rich was saying just taking it to a 129" wide screen would make the frame height 79.5". Still not probably going to be enough room to hang on the zbar but if the size is just right it doesn't need to hang, just needs to stay upright, which we could do a couple of ways on the back. Going to take off my screen wall tonight or this weekend and double check the measurements.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
you're right if it can just sit on the floor just need something to keep it from tipping over. maybe some magnets. My experience with frames though is hanging it had a slight stretching effect on the screen fabric setting it on the bottom let the top sag a tad. Anyway those issues can be worked out. You need to be sure there are no low points where the screen will sit. I could see the possibility of getting it assembled setting it in place and "oh $hit"
So looking at it (The way the carpet is there), sitting directly on the floor wouldn't be optimal, but as for the dimensions above the "Wiggle room" would be used by having the cross bar un-attached, lifting up the cross-bar under the frame's Z-Bar and then lifting them both all the way to the top together. Then we could have two pre-drilled holes on each side of the blocks under the bar and put two big Bolts through it (and the vertical posts on each side) which would hold it up. Right now they are just screwed together but we could bolt it instead. It would be floating off the floor by maybe .25" inches but it still technically would have its weight resting on the z-bar and not the floor. Since the carpet has padding in front of it, there wouldn't even appear to be a gap vertically. On the other hand, if we shrink the width by an inch, then we would have a gap between the frame and the side panels to deal with. If we kept it at 130" wide and it was exactly 80" high it would have to rest on the floor for sure (Using Falcon) and we'd have to cut away the carpet. Probably not the best idea. Unless we come up with a way to trim .5" off of the normal 130" wide frame...
post #2553 of 2565 Unread 12-05-2014, 04:56 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked: 740
he will make it whatever dimension you want. If you take a 1/2 inch off the top, you can over-scan the image 1/4 inch at the top and bottom on the black border. Shouldn't be an issue.
kinw3 likes this.
post #2554 of 2565 Unread 12-05-2014, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
he will make it whatever dimension you want. If you take a 1/2 inch off the top, you can over-scan the image 1/4 inch at the top and bottom on the black border. Shouldn't be an issue.
There won't be any need, i can zoom to whatever size the screen is, I was just talking about the size of the frame itself. 3.5" thickness. Shrinking the screen shrinks the frame and so on. If the frame could be just a little thinner to make up for that space then the screen wouldn't need to be smaller, that was what I was trying to say.
post #2555 of 2565 Unread 12-05-2014, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
There won't be any need, i can zoom to whatever size the screen is, I was just talking about the size of the frame itself. 3.5" thickness. Shrinking the screen shrinks the frame and so on. If the frame could be just a little thinner to make up for that space then the screen wouldn't need to be smaller, that was what I was trying to say.
Can't he custom a frame for you?

Very cool changes. I love following your build since I'm at a dead standstill. I'm waiting for my buddy to give me estimates on my new steps, bath cabinets and my bar cabinets so I know how much friggin money I need to finish my basement before I start on my build again. It's hunting season so trying to get him to do anything is impossible.

Jim
post #2556 of 2565 Unread 12-05-2014, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimim View Post

Very cool changes. I love following your build since I'm at a dead standstill. I'm waiting for my buddy to give me estimates on my new steps, bath cabinets and my bar cabinets so I know how much friggin money I need to finish my basement before I start on my build again. It's hunting season so trying to get him to do anything is impossible.

Jim
Yeah going to discuss a variety of options with Snickers and see what we can come up with. It's no rush really. Funny you say "follow my build" since it really has moved on from the theater from the most part. Sure we document changes, but most of the more recent stuff has been the other projects, so when you mention things like bar cabinets and money... well lets say I feel you there as I still have a few more months until my last project (the bar) is paid off. It's always good to have a friend who can do that kind of stuff, but you do have to let the man hunt!
post #2557 of 2565 Unread 12-06-2014, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Quote:

Jim
Yeah going to discuss a variety of options with Snickers and see what we can come up with. It's no rush really. Funny you say "follow my build" since it really has moved on from the theater from the most part. Sure we document changes, but most of the more recent stuff has been the other projects, so when you mention things like bar cabinets and money... well lets say I feel you there as I still have a few more months until my last project (the bar) is paid off. It's always good to have a friend who can do that kind of stuff, but you do have to let the man hunt!
Lol. I don't hunt Anymore so this is payback for when I'm fishing and he bothers me.

I like following people's adventures with their homes on here besides theaters. Gives us all ideas.

Did u ever read my thread? It's everything but theatre it seems! Lol

Dave is a great guy. Not cause he's my friend but he is the best. He does work all over the place. I'm in nepa and he does work all the time in Connecticut, New York, jersey. Even did a few jobs in Florida. He cares. That's the big thing. You wait with him but it all pays off.

Jim
post #2558 of 2565 Unread Yesterday, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So a few updates : Yesterday had the new superautomatic espresso machine delivered. Amazing. I had an older espresso machine and this one blows it out of the water. It helps that in the morning in particular I am like the walking dead and super lazy, so all of the frothing and tamping are not things I have any desire to do. This machine makes a perfect latte. What a wonderful way to begin the day!

Screen : No updates today. I think the wife and I both want to do this, so it is just a matter of when instead of if.

Automation: So I know a while back I discussed the desire to automate most things in my theater and reduce my remote control footprint, and the need to get up for any electronic things during a film. It took a while to get around to doing it, but this project is now finished.
My typical routine for my theater was: Walk in and turn on the lights so people can get situated. Power on the projector and receiver. Wake up the HTPC. Turn off the lights, select a film, start playback. If in the summer, or if the room has a lot of people, turn on the A/C or just the HVAC Fan to recirculate the air. If the film was scope, change the screen format in lens memory. If I was watching a TV show and it was a sports game, maybe turn on the motion enhancement.

So the problems with this were : Only my logitech harmony could control my Z-wave, but its battery was crap. Also, though it did work quite well at one point, I wasn't a big fan and it would be flaky at times missing one device or another during a startup or shutdown sequence... that and I just didn't like it. Plus if I ever wanted to use more recent features of devices such as internet radio or pandora then control would start to get tricky on it. My HVAC for the theater was shared with the sunroom upstairs, and the thermostat was upstairs also. Over time, I looked into several products and ended up deciding on iRule. Setup was not simple early on, and even once I got to know how to use it, it still wasn't the easiest thing to use. Plus with certain add-ons the licensing might limit use of an add-on to a single device type which was cost prohibitive. Still, this was the choice I made and early on I thought it was just wasted money. However last week I finally got it all working and configured (Other than some extra features I still have to do) so I wanted to share what I did.

1) Purchased iRule + the Vera Automation plugin
2) Purchased the Micasa Vera from Snickers1 back when I sold my old subs to him. I had to do some network tuning on it when I got it since it likes to flood the network with certain packets that messed with my Pre-Amp. However no problems since the change!
3) Purchased an iTach IP2SL (Replaced later to a FlexIP) to use RS232->Ethernet to my Sony VW95ES
4) Purchased an iTach IP2IR to use Ethernet->Onkyo,FIOS, and Oppo
5) Installed a NEST thermostat to my Sunroom (This was free actually. My wife got one for every house she sold in a new neighborhood so we replaced all of our thermostats with NEST systems in our house free of charge... NICE!)
6) Configured iRule

Now, the biggest issue I had early on was that I couldn't get my projector to work over the IP2SL over RS232->Ethernet so I returned it and ordered a FlexIP from them instead. The FlexIP however worked perfectly the first try. (Finding the proper codes for this projector was NOT easy) Then there was learning iRule and it wasn't the best. Though there are some good video and forum documentation, I still found it complex and lacking without a lot of trial and error. The editor is completely in the cloud, which is nice since you can edit it from anywhere, but something as simple as copy/paste was not always available, and even when it was, didn't always copy the device with a command, etc. Many times only complete panel (Or device screen) copies would work, which was really frustrating. Plus buttons would have effects like the image when it was touched vs the image when it was idle, but it didn't copy both together when you added a button, you had to manually pair them, which was stupid. In the end though, I got it all working. Initially my first tests were with my spare Ipad, which usually sits in a drawer. Logic would tell you that this would be the perfect remote and I could leave it in the theater always, but for some reason it always ended up back in the drawer. So I re-did everything to be on my iPhone. The benefit of this was that both my wife and I have iPhones, and though a license for the Verde Plugin was limited to one device type, it wasn't limited to one device. So once I created an iPhone template, I could sync my iRule app from two different iPhones. This way we had all of the controls with us always as one of us always has our phone with us. Sure, you can't feel the buttons, but you don't need to since you can see the screen even in the dark. I'm very happy with it and I can put all of my remotes away so visitors can't mess with my devices at all.

Here are some example panels I captured early on. They have been changed a little since then but you get the idea:

This is labeled HTPC but it is primarily receiver options. Mostly I use this to start up everything, change the volume or screen format, and then adjust the sound fields as necessary. Since this picture I added the motion enhancer buttons.

Screen to control the TV. This one is probably the least user friendly due to lack of space but really I don't do much channel surfing. I really only tend to watch sports games or the walking dead in the theater when it comes to TV.

Screen to control lighting. This is very handy to have, and the plugin was worth it!

Screen to control my blu ray player. Really only use the Oppo for 3D stuff.

Last edited by damelon; Yesterday at 06:50 AM.
post #2559 of 2565 Unread Yesterday, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Thanks for the detail on your iRule setup. I know this is what I need to do as well (same frustration with my Harmony). Also curious which espresso machine you got?
post #2560 of 2565 Unread Yesterday, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkasanic View Post
Thanks for the detail on your iRule setup. I know this is what I need to do as well (same frustration with my Harmony). Also curious which espresso machine you got?
It's a higher end Jura... I prefer not to be more specific because the price is embarrassing, even in this forum. But at least Christmas presents are out of the way for both of us haha
post #2561 of 2565 Unread Yesterday, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
It's a higher end Jura... I prefer not to be more specific because the price is embarrassing, even in this forum. But at least Christmas presents are out of the way for both of us haha
LOL...no need to elaborate! I'm quite familiar with their line!
post #2562 of 2565 Unread Yesterday, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkasanic View Post
Why did u do for the nest control over irule? In Vera or does Itai have a module now for it? If so what does it look like? How is the feed back on it? StAts are all I got left to do in my house along with finishing the lights.

I too have been using a Vera cause I was waiting to switch to hai when my basement was totally done. I always intended to use wave lights vs the hai ones and if the module for the best is nice maybe I'll use those instead of hai ones too cause theirs are as much and look like crap.

The vet is pretty cool isn't it? Mine is 3 years old now and I have had zero issues. I used home wave for control of everything when out since irule' cloud control unit isn't out yet.

Jim
post #2563 of 2565 Unread Today, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Why did u do for the nest control over irule? In Vera or does Itai have a module now for it? If so what does it look like? How is the feed back on it? StAts are all I got left to do in my house along with finishing the lights.

I too have been using a Vera cause I was waiting to switch to hai when my basement was totally done. I always intended to use wave lights vs the hai ones and if the module for the best is nice maybe I'll use those instead of hai ones too cause theirs are as much and look like crap.

The vet is pretty cool isn't it? Mine is 3 years old now and I have had zero issues. I used home wave for control of everything when out since irule' cloud control unit isn't out yet.

Jim
I didn't use the Vera for the NEST thermostats as the NEST itself has its own app for the iPhone which has a great interface. It's just as easy to switch from one app to another with the iPhone as it is to switch between iRule screens. So no need to integrate it into the iRule app at all. The ZWAVE Light switches did require the vera, and once you linked the two and got the device id codes, it was just drag and drop and enter the device number and they worked great.

What is a vet?
post #2564 of 2565 Unread Today, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I didn't use the Vera for the NEST thermostats as the NEST itself has its own app for the iPhone which has a great interface. It's just as easy to switch from one app to another with the iPhone as it is to switch between iRule screens. So no need to integrate it into the iRule app at all. The ZWAVE Light switches did require the vera, and once you linked the two and got the device id codes, it was just drag and drop and enter the device number and they worked great.

What is a vet?
lol

vera...

i have been using one since he had the vera module. works great with my zwave lights. i use all leviton. i also have my security system through there. my sprinkler system. just have to still do stats.
post #2565 of 2565 Unread Today, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
lol

vera...

i have been using one since he had the vera module. works great with my zwave lights. i use all leviton. i also have my security system through there. my sprinkler system. just have to still do stats.
Ahhh OK, got it. I originally was going to use a ZWave Thermostat (Which I purchased a while back and never installed) and use the Vera for it, but when we got the free NESTs we just used them instead. They are cool products.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Optoma Th1060p Projector , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , M80 V3 Floorstanding Speaker Boston Cherry , Sony Vpl Vw95es Full Hd 3d Home Cinema Projector , Seaton Sound Submersive H P
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page