The "Bacon Race" Theater / Patio / Bar Project - Page 89 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #2641 of 2670 Old 02-15-2015, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahoo_envy View Post
I thought a scope screen at 130" wide was pushing it at my front row viewing distance of 11'6". It took a little getting used to, but now I love it. The only reason I went that wide in the first place was to get a larger 16:9 screen, but with movies taking priority in a home theater. Now that I've used the room for a while I probably watch more TV sports than anything.

I'm wondering if I should do some similar to what you have done before I order the new screen material from Falcon Screens. Beside having a soffit under a 7'9" ceiling height, I'm concerned about my feet getting in the way while reclined and viewing 16:9 content on a screen size as big as yours.

Have you had any such issues?
i haven't had issues with feet but i do have the screen on a stage which is about a foot higher than the floor. i do have issues with big dogs in the way sometimes though since they stand pretty tall and get in the way of the bottom portion of the screen.

Last edited by damelon; 02-15-2015 at 04:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2642 of 2670 Old 02-15-2015, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My 130" Wide SMX Screen is still for sale! Too bad really since the buyer would have been close for delivery. Not sure how long I will keep it assembled in my basement office. It's really too bad that taking it apart poses so many complications. At least Falcon and Seymour don't have that problem and made it so the screen material connects in a re-usable way.

Watched the Theory of Everything the other night. What a well acted movie. I usually role my eyes when an actor plays a roll with a disability and it instantly becomes an epic performance (usually a mental handicap) but I can say that in this case, it is acted like someone with the actual condition. I work with someone who has a similar affliction and so much of that is spot on. The movie itself is a bit heavy but quite good.

Last edited by damelon; 02-16-2015 at 07:19 AM.
post #2643 of 2670 Old 02-16-2015, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Building my riser boosters today (The material finally arrived) One note to anyone building their own theater, or getting into general home renovation for the first time... although you need to have a good cordless drill, your primary tools should all be corded, mainly a corded drill, a mitre saw, and a cricle/table saw is needed, and a good oscillation utility tool. Thanks to BIG, I am also a big fan of the star bit for screwing plywood/dimensional wood together. Pictures later.

Update : Didn't put on the vinyl yet as I the staple gun I have wasn't strong enough. Will have to get some tack nails for that.
nickbuol and 24Changer like this.

Last edited by damelon; 02-17-2015 at 06:53 AM.
post #2644 of 2670 Old 02-17-2015, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'm wondering if I should do some similar to what you have done before I order the new screen material from Falcon Screens. Beside having a soffit under a 7'9" ceiling height, I'm concerned about my feet getting in the way while reclined and viewing 16:9 content on a screen size as big as yours.

Have you had any such issues?
Although I addressed this once already, the wife and I were watching some TV for a few hours yesterday and dogs were driving me nuts playing in the front of the theater. Normally, unless they were on the stage, they would be below the bottom of the old scope screen, but now they are in the way. Of course, I have big dogs, and they shouldn't be playing there. One of the reasons I have a theater is to avoid all of the distractions of the movie theaters... and now I have a wife who texts on her phone and two big dobermans who play in front of me during the movie. AAAAHHHHHH!
granroth likes this.
post #2645 of 2670 Old 02-17-2015, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 55
It's been a while since I've checked in here Damelon. I love what you've done with the place! I've really been shopping for masking and a 16:9 screen. I have a scope Seymour but only 100" wide. It's not that it isn't wide enough, honestly. It's not tall enough. Scope material is great for my room since it's not quite as big as your's but 16:9 stuff is definitely lacking. I watch more sports and HBO than movies so I've been itching for that IMAX feel also.

I do have an odd question though. Where do you put your masking panels when not in use? I don't have closet space for them and I would be worried someone would step on them if I put them behind my back row. I know it's a weird question but it's something I'm considering because I don't know if I want to go with automated masking or just the panels. I love the idea of panels because they aren't $3000.
post #2646 of 2670 Old 02-17-2015, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon View Post
Although I addressed this once already, the wife and I were watching some TV for a few hours yesterday and dogs were driving me nuts playing in the front of the theater. Normally, unless they were on the stage, they would be below the bottom of the old scope screen, but now they are in the way. Of course, I have big dogs, and they shouldn't be playing there. One of the reasons I have a theater is to avoid all of the distractions of the movie theaters... and now I have a wife who texts on her phone and two big dobermans who play in front of me during the movie. AAAAHHHHHH!
Maybe you can play this trailer before every screening

If my remotes didn't need to run on the wireless network I would seriously consider integrating a Faraday cage into my theater walls so there would be no interference. The dogs....well, that's another issue entirely!
post #2647 of 2670 Old 02-17-2015, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVoth View Post
It's been a while since I've checked in here Damelon. I love what you've done with the place! I've really been shopping for masking and a 16:9 screen. I have a scope Seymour but only 100" wide. It's not that it isn't wide enough, honestly. It's not tall enough. Scope material is great for my room since it's not quite as big as your's but 16:9 stuff is definitely lacking. I watch more sports and HBO than movies so I've been itching for that IMAX feel also.

I do have an odd question though. Where do you put your masking panels when not in use? I don't have closet space for them and I would be worried someone would step on them if I put them behind my back row. I know it's a weird question but it's something I'm considering because I don't know if I want to go with automated masking or just the panels. I love the idea of panels because they aren't $3000.
I'm still toying with the storage location. It has varied. The old panes I had were completely velvet black. I used to just stand them up against the front black panels along the sides of the screen on the stage when not in use. These are a little more difficult mostly because they are more noticeable when they aren't in use. They only have the black velvet along the border of the frame itself and the rest is a dark gray. In addition the framing is extruded aluminum so they are not really flexible either. I've tried putting them along the sides of the column which face the screen in the front, but you can see the edges that stick out there. I also tried putting them along the sides of the rear columns but you notice them from the back row. I think ideally I'd like to do something where the two panels swing open next to the screen and allow me to store them in a pocket inside of the door or something. Those panels are directly in front of the main speakers, and the panels are also AT, so if they are there it really shouldn't hinder the audio. Right now I put blocking there and the panels use velcro to keep them upright, but magnets and swivels would work too. I think that is my endgame goal for storage but for now, nothing I can do except prop them against the wall somewhere.
post #2648 of 2670 Old 02-17-2015, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
Maybe you can play this trailer before every screening

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu9Q5pzTBvE

If my remotes didn't need to run on the wireless network I would seriously consider integrating a Faraday cage into my theater walls so there would be no interference. The dogs....well, that's another issue entirely!
Unfortunately, I think this is just one of those things that I am going to have to learn to live with. The wife is also married to her phone, and if I even tell the dogs to stop or lay down the first thing I hear is "Awwww daddy doesn't love you, don't listen to him"
SandstormGT likes this.
post #2649 of 2670 Old 02-17-2015, 09:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Since each of them come in two pieces, I would imagine they are easier to store. I was just looking in my theater and it looks like between the seats and back bar would store them safely.

My HT is best when I'm home alone. The foot stomps from above from my kids, the delivered stink eye I get when listening to music, the dog whining to come in or leave, it's always something. This is with the Soundproofing Company's 6 out of 10 ceiling solution.

I wish my HT was under a part of the house we don't use much--like the dining and living rooms. Below the family room has proven to be "no bueno".
post #2650 of 2670 Old 02-17-2015, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Since each of them come in two pieces, I would imagine they are easier to store. I was just looking in my theater and it looks like between the seats and back bar would store them safely.

My HT is best when I'm home alone. The foot stomps from above from my kids, the delivered stink eye I get when listening to music, the dog whining to come in or leave, it's always something. This is with the Soundproofing Company's 6 out of 10 ceiling solution.

I wish my HT was under a part of the house we don't use much--like the dining and living rooms. Below the family room has proven to be "no bueno".
I don't have the problem with the sounds, I don't hear anything in there other than what is in there thank god, but the dogs will paw at the door if I leave it closed, which I can hear. That's with the thick ceiling insulation + clips/channel + double drywall + gg.

As far as the storage, yes, each panel is smaller, but there are technically twice as many panels. I could put them behind the back row of seats and problem solved, but then getting them is a big PITA. The big downside of using horizontal panels vs vertical panels is that you tend to use them more. I really didn't bother most of the time with the vertical panels because TV broadcasts look nothing close to as good as a Blu-ray does. Only for some football games and things like game of thrones ever got the panel treatment. Now though, I put them on any time I watch a letterbox film, and since I don't zoom, the HTPC uses the whole screen, so I need to switch the panels often. I think a lot of people don't consider that when they make the change to a 16:9 screen with panels. It is more work.
post #2651 of 2670 Old 02-18-2015, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
I have a scope Seymour but only 100" wide. It's not that it isn't wide enough, honestly. It's not tall enough. Scope material is great for my room since it's not quite as big as your's but 16:9 stuff is definitely lacking. I watch more sports and HBO than movies so I've been itching for that IMAX feel also.
How far back are you sitting from the screen?

Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc
Who says Cameron is "right" and why do we care about him so much - lol!

I trust Gary Lightfoot more than James Cameron.
post #2652 of 2670 Old 02-18-2015, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Lightfoot View Post
How far back are you sitting from the screen?

Gary
11 or 12 feet. The problem is, I hung my projector 12 from the screen. Maybe 12' 2" max. Can't get much wider at this point. I could take down the projector and move it back a foot or so, but that would involve tearing out crown, ripping down my fabric panel on the ceiling, moving the projector back, rebuild the fabric panel, redo crown moulding. I don't know if I'm quite ready for all that.

Or maybe I am. It actually sounds fun after I typed it all out. Maybe I can go with a 10 foot wide scope screen. Crap. I really don't know what I wanna do.
post #2653 of 2670 Old 02-18-2015, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So here is my little seat-booster project. Nothing really exiting I know.

First I built two frames. 31" Deep x 63.25" wide each. The photo angle makes the wood look warped but it isn't.

Then I had to put the top on each. I had some 3/4" plywood cut at 31" intervals to save me some time at the store. After the first piece fit on, I needed to measure for the remainder. So flipped it, marked it with a pen, flipped it back... ready to cut with a circle saw!

post #2654 of 2670 Old 02-18-2015, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

From there just follow the line... man battery power sucks sometimes! The line looks off but only because it's rotated so it overhangs the edge. Once it is cut, then I screwed the pieces to the frame.

Wow! A single riser!

Because I like to build things, well, I did it again. Now there is two! I can't believe the chairs are only 31" deep. I could have made these platforms larger to make a step in front of the seats but since it is only a few inches, it wasn't worth it.

post #2655 of 2670 Old 02-18-2015, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So I ordered my "roll of vinyl" which finally showed up a couple of days ago. The reviews from amazon weren't kidding, it really still smelled like the stain when it came out of the tube. After it aired out for a day that was much better though. I trimmed the piece to just fit over the entire outside and then pulled it tight and stapled it. It's about 99% tight, but it will be covered with chairs anyway. Still, I thought it looked pretty good...

... wait... this feels like 2001...

post #2656 of 2670 Old 02-18-2015, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I will try to finish the other one tomorrow, then I'll insert pictures of them under the seats here
post #2657 of 2670 Old 02-19-2015, 06:20 AM
Advanced Member

Looks really good. I don't see any seems so it must be wrapped up well.
post #2658 of 2670 Old 02-19-2015, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Looks really good. I don't see any seems so it must be wrapped up well.
There are seams on the corners, but hard to see in the photo. If you looked you would notice them up close but in a dim room below a set of chairs, not so much! I may have to bolt the chairs to these in the end but we'll see.
post #2659 of 2670 Old 02-19-2015, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
11 or 12 feet. The problem is, I hung my projector 12 from the screen. Maybe 12' 2" max. Can't get much wider at this point. I could take down the projector and move it back a foot or so, but that would involve tearing out crown, ripping down my fabric panel on the ceiling, moving the projector back, rebuild the fabric panel, redo crown moulding. I don't know if I'm quite ready for all that.

Or maybe I am. It actually sounds fun after I typed it all out. Maybe I can go with a 10 foot wide scope screen. Crap. I really don't know what I wanna do.
Could be you'r sitting too far back for that size screen and that's why 16:9 looks too small. A bigger/wider 2.35 screen would help, or easier still you could move your seats forward around 3 or 4 feet.

THXs recommended back row is 3.68 x the image height. You're currently sitting at around 3.3 so nearer the back row than the prime seats (which is 2.4 x IH).

Gary

Quote:

Last edited by Gary Lightfoot; 02-19-2015 at 05:46 PM.
post #2660 of 2670 Old 02-19-2015, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Lightfoot View Post
Could be you'r sitting too far back for that size screen and that's why 16:9 looks too small. A bigger/wider 2.35 screen would help, or easier still you could move your seats forward around 3 or 4 feet.

THXs recommended back row is 3.68 x the image height. You're currently sitting at around 3.3 so nearer the back row than the prime seats (which is 2.4 x IH).

Gary
Agreed, JVoth has too small of a screen for the seating distance, or too far of a seating distance for the screen.

We put in a 138" (diagonal) 16:9 screen and seated eyeball distance is at 12' and it is great. My wife, who was worried about the screen being too big loved it as soon as we watched our first movie.

JVoth, your 16:9 material on that scope screen is similar to a screen size around 80" diagonal 16:9, which is really not very large at a 12 foot viewing distance.

I'm all for ripping it all out and fixing the projector placement to allow for a larger image, but the "free" temporary fix is what Gary points out, and that is to move the seats forward to see what you think of that.
post #2661 of 2670 Old 02-20-2015, 04:26 AM
AVS Special Member

If you move the seats forward to the point where 16:9 looks as big as you'd want it, and going any larger (for the height) would become uncomfortable, you can then work out the ideal the seating distance ratio for yourself.

Just divide the screen height into the seating distance to get the ratio, and then if you go for a bigger screen you just make sure you keep the same seating distance ratio.

Gary.

Quote:

post #2662 of 2670 Old 02-20-2015, 05:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 446
Quote:
So I ordered my "roll of vinyl" which finally showed up a couple of days ago. The reviews from amazon weren't kidding, it really still smelled like the stain when it came out of the tube. After it aired out for a day that was much better though. I trimmed the piece to just fit over the entire outside and then pulled it tight and stapled it. It's about 99% tight, but it will be covered with chairs anyway. Still, I thought it looked pretty good...

... wait... this feels like 2001...

I must say, that is undoubtedly one sexy box. I'll be using a booster as well--it'll be about 2.5 inches. Once you get the booster in place, please let us know if it alters the way you get in your seats at all. I can't envision it would, but ya never know.

I've been thinking where I'd store my masking panels as well...Have you thought about putting your subs on pedestals to get them above the top masking line, and replacing the AT masking with velvet masking? If you did velvet, you wouldn't notice the panels when you propped them up.
post #2663 of 2670 Old 02-20-2015, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
I must say, that is undoubtedly one sexy box. I'll be using a booster as well--it'll be about 2.5 inches. Once you get the booster in place, please let us know if it alters the way you get in your seats at all. I can't envision it would, but ya never know.

I've been thinking where I'd store my masking panels as well...Have you thought about putting your subs on pedestals to get them above the top masking line, and replacing the AT masking with velvet masking? If you did velvet, you wouldn't notice the panels when you propped them up.
No I never even considered that. Of course they could be wrapped completely in a darker AT material. I think that is wasted money though, since it really is only to make them look better while leaning against a wall. I'd rather put hinges on my side panels if I'm going to do something. I still need to fix the door also to add a drop-down seal. Maybe I'll find some weekend where BIG is free and steal him for some work.
post #2664 of 2670 Old 02-20-2015, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 446
Quote:
No I never even considered that. Of course they could be wrapped completely in a darker AT material. I think that is wasted money though, since it really is only to make them look better while leaning against a wall. I'd rather put hinges on my side panels if I'm going to do something. I still need to fix the door also to add a drop-down seal. Maybe I'll find some weekend where BIG is free and steal him for some work.
Hinges are a great idea. If you went that route with some sort of pocket insertion, That would be really slick. How do you think you would approach that? Sounds very complex to a non-expert like myself, but you've got the skill to make it happen.
post #2665 of 2670 Old 02-20-2015, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
Hinges are a great idea. If you went that route with some sort of pocket insertion, That would be really slick. How do you think you would approach that? Sounds very complex to a non-expert like myself, but you've got the skill to make it happen.
The only complicated part is making sure it has the vertical room to swing open. My side panels used to be friction fit, but with the new screen there is a small gap between the panel and the wall, which I can reach my fingers into. I could also add a handle of course. Basically a Hinge could be placed onto the goalpost vertical beam and then to the panel, and then it could swing outwards similar to a cabinet door. I'd just have to change the back blocking to use magnets to remain closed vs the velcro. As far as the veritcal room, since it sort of sat at the end of the carpet, it has slightly more vertical space at rest than an inch or so out from the screen wall due to the carpet padding. So it might need to be shortened a half of an inch so that it could swing outwards on a hinge without rubbing on the stage carpet. I could probably figure it out myself but would prefer help. As for pockets, that would be the easy part. the bottom of the panels just needs a place to rest on the back and then maybe a small strap higher up to keep it from falling over. Then panel would swing shut and you would never see it. I wouldn't want to just rest them against the wall inside because there is the bare oc703 bass traps, and that yellow insulation tends to stick to things. It's a little bit of extra work from the simple friction fit design but in the end it really wouldn't be that much work.
post #2666 of 2670 Old Yesterday, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok, so I finished my seat-boosters today. (Sorry, I don't want to call them risers)

Here are some before shots of the chairs in the rear row

post #2667 of 2670 Old Yesterday, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Then I moved the chairs out of the way, put the platforms down, and put the chairs on top of them. Instant 3" height boost! Since these chairs are so "cushy", sitting straight down at this new height doesn't get your butt to the back of the chair, so you have to scoot back after. I have not yet anchored them to the platforms, but I might have to now.

Last edited by damelon; Yesterday at 12:25 PM.
post #2668 of 2670 Unread Today, 02:29 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked: 825
post #2669 of 2670 Unread Today, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
absolutely perfect
Thanks Jeff! Means a lot coming from you!
post #2670 of 2670 Unread Today, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Looks great!

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Optoma Th1060p Projector , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , M80 V3 Floorstanding Speaker Boston Cherry , Sony Vpl Vw95es Full Hd 3d Home Cinema Projector , Seaton Sound Submersive H P
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page