The "Bacon Race" Theater / Patio / Bar Project - Page 90 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2015, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
damelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Posts: 1,830
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 127
So the next upgrade is upon us... and it will be, a painted star ceiling! This will happen within the next week, weather permitting. (Jeff is driving after all)

Now, currently I have a flat black painted ceiling. This will be my last opportunity to change that prior to the work. Even then, we're not talking about a big change. Should I just change it to an eggshell black or maybe a dark blue? The red rope lights will be going away, or at least be unplugged temporarily. To be honest, I never used them other than for photos. I could always change the outlets up there to be insteon or something and split the two, but I think it is more likely I will just unplug them and leave them there. As anyone with a flat black ceiling can attest to, they get dirty and they get marked by almost any touch. But you can't really tell unless there is light shown directly on them. (See my projector pipe change photos when I changed out my screen) So I'm thinking either to stay black or go a dark blue, and switch to eggshell paint for ease of cleaning, and only one coat at that.

I'm working on getting a UV light order in today.
damelon is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-04-2015, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member
 
BrolicBeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Charles County, MD
Posts: 3,277
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Yesssss!!!!!!

Flat black sucks...eggshell black might be the best option. I once did an entire room flat black....never again!
BrolicBeast is online now  
Old 03-04-2015, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
damelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Posts: 1,830
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
Yesssss!!!!!!

Flat black sucks...eggshell black might be the best option. I once did an entire room flat black....never again!
The eggshell black is of course the easiest "no brainer" option.
damelon is online now  
Old 03-04-2015, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
BrolicBeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Charles County, MD
Posts: 3,277
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Yup--you might be able to increase the "pop" of the star ceiling by surrounding the starry area with black velvet. you wouldn't have to paint, and it it would create a very deep black around the painted star ceiling area.

Alternately, you could actually create an astronomical "black hole" within the star ceiling, using a circle of black velved (fidelio or equivalent) as the center of the black hole, with clay (or some other maleable compound) sloping from the edge of the fabric (if high enough) to the ceiling......then, have jeff paint a spiral pattern surrounding it? These are some ideas I've been considering for my theater--just wanted to share, since you already have a ceiling to work with! lol.
BrolicBeast is online now  
Old 03-04-2015, 10:19 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR
 
BIGmouthinDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 22,028
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked: 839
Flat enamel is wipe friendly, Home Depot. Sorry I'm not in town I would like to meet Jeff.
BIGmouthinDC is online now  
Old 03-04-2015, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
damelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Posts: 1,830
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
Yup--you might be able to increase the "pop" of the star ceiling by surrounding the starry area with black velvet. you wouldn't have to paint, and it it would create a very deep black around the painted star ceiling area.

Alternately, you could actually create an astronomical "black hole" within the star ceiling, using a circle of black velved (fidelio or equivalent) as the center of the black hole, with clay (or some other maleable compound) sloping from the edge of the fabric (if high enough) to the ceiling......then, have jeff paint a spiral pattern surrounding it? These are some ideas I've been considering for my theater--just wanted to share, since you already have a ceiling to work with! lol.
Hah! I'm not going to do do anything that complicated, just trying to make sure my paint foundation is right before he comes. I'll be tackling that tonight or tomorrow. Even though Jeff should be coming to do the work within the next week, I haven't yet ordered my own black lights so there may be some time before I can get some good pictures up.
damelon is online now  
Old 03-04-2015, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
damelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Posts: 1,830
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
Flat enamel is wipe friendly, Home Depot. Sorry I'm not in town I would like to meet Jeff.
Thanks for the idea. Went with a Sherman Williams flat enamel, which will allow some wipedown but nothing overly glossy. Should make post-mural cleanup easy and I will get a coat done tonight. I'm sorry you couldn't stop by too! Then again Jeff is pretty reclusive while he does his work I hear.

Date is tentatively Friday

Last edited by damelon; 03-04-2015 at 05:18 PM.
damelon is online now  
Old Today, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
damelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Posts: 1,830
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon View Post
Thanks for the idea. Went with a Sherman Williams flat enamel, which will allow some wipedown but nothing overly glossy. Should make post-mural cleanup easy and I will get a coat done tonight. I'm sorry you couldn't stop by too! Then again Jeff is pretty reclusive while he does his work I hear.

Date is tentatively Friday
The painting got done yesterday morning, thanks to a snow day in the area. I also took some time to look at the soffit, and adding another outlet. Wow, I should have done a partial hinged swing down on those soffit ends now that I think about it. Adding another outlet box up there is going to be hard right against the ceiling, I can barely see the existing one! The reason being that the black lights can only be linked so far. I could technically use outlet splitters and long extension cords, but I would rather not do that permanently. So today I plan to take down the rope lighting and try to add the new outlet box at the opposite soffit corner. The new box won't be hard, but adding to the old box will be tricky!

Spoke to Jeff and even with the snow he plans to come today to paint the stars, so I'm expecting him in the afternoon sometime.
damelon is online now  
 

Tags
Optoma Th1060p Projector , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , M80 V3 Floorstanding Speaker Boston Cherry , Sony Vpl Vw95es Full Hd 3d Home Cinema Projector , Seaton Sound Submersive H P
Gear in this thread
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off