The "Bacon Race" Theater / Patio / Bar Project - Page 90 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #2671 of 2677 Unread Today, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 126
So the next upgrade is upon us... and it will be, a painted star ceiling! This will happen within the next week, weather permitting. (Jeff is driving after all)

Now, currently I have a flat black painted ceiling. This will be my last opportunity to change that prior to the work. Even then, we're not talking about a big change. Should I just change it to an eggshell black or maybe a dark blue? The red rope lights will be going away, or at least be unplugged temporarily. To be honest, I never used them other than for photos. I could always change the outlets up there to be insteon or something and split the two, but I think it is more likely I will just unplug them and leave them there. As anyone with a flat black ceiling can attest to, they get dirty and they get marked by almost any touch. But you can't really tell unless there is light shown directly on them. (See my projector pipe change photos when I changed out my screen) So I'm thinking either to stay black or go a dark blue, and switch to eggshell paint for ease of cleaning, and only one coat at that.

I'm working on getting a UV light order in today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2672 of 2677 Unread Today, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Yesssss!!!!!!

Flat black sucks...eggshell black might be the best option. I once did an entire room flat black....never again!
post #2673 of 2677 Unread Today, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
Yesssss!!!!!!

Flat black sucks...eggshell black might be the best option. I once did an entire room flat black....never again!
The eggshell black is of course the easiest "no brainer" option.
post #2674 of 2677 Unread Today, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Yup--you might be able to increase the "pop" of the star ceiling by surrounding the starry area with black velvet. you wouldn't have to paint, and it it would create a very deep black around the painted star ceiling area.

Alternately, you could actually create an astronomical "black hole" within the star ceiling, using a circle of black velved (fidelio or equivalent) as the center of the black hole, with clay (or some other maleable compound) sloping from the edge of the fabric (if high enough) to the ceiling......then, have jeff paint a spiral pattern surrounding it? These are some ideas I've been considering for my theater--just wanted to share, since you already have a ceiling to work with! lol.
post #2675 of 2677 Unread Today, 10:19 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked: 838
Flat enamel is wipe friendly, Home Depot. Sorry I'm not in town I would like to meet Jeff.
post #2676 of 2677 Unread Today, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
Yup--you might be able to increase the "pop" of the star ceiling by surrounding the starry area with black velvet. you wouldn't have to paint, and it it would create a very deep black around the painted star ceiling area.

Alternately, you could actually create an astronomical "black hole" within the star ceiling, using a circle of black velved (fidelio or equivalent) as the center of the black hole, with clay (or some other maleable compound) sloping from the edge of the fabric (if high enough) to the ceiling......then, have jeff paint a spiral pattern surrounding it? These are some ideas I've been considering for my theater--just wanted to share, since you already have a ceiling to work with! lol.
Hah! I'm not going to do do anything that complicated, just trying to make sure my paint foundation is right before he comes. I'll be tackling that tonight or tomorrow. Even though Jeff should be coming to do the work within the next week, I haven't yet ordered my own black lights so there may be some time before I can get some good pictures up.
post #2677 of 2677 Unread Today, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
Flat enamel is wipe friendly, Home Depot. Sorry I'm not in town I would like to meet Jeff.
Thanks for the idea. Went with a Sherman Williams flat enamel, which will allow some wipedown but nothing overly glossy. Should make post-mural cleanup easy and I will get a coat done tonight. I'm sorry you couldn't stop by too! Then again Jeff is pretty reclusive while he does his work I hear.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Optoma Th1060p Projector , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , M80 V3 Floorstanding Speaker Boston Cherry , Sony Vpl Vw95es Full Hd 3d Home Cinema Projector , Seaton Sound Submersive H P
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page