The "Bacon Race" Theater / Patio / Bar Project - Page 93 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #2761 of 2786 Old 08-08-2015, 05:59 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1407 Post(s)
Liked: 1264
Jim, you may want to take a look at Gpowers pool house. It included his theater.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2762 of 2786 Old 08-08-2015, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 180
The place we ordered our shed from also has some pre-fab basic poolhouse designs, which is nice because you get a good idea of price right away.

http://www.shedsunlimited.net/portab...d-cabanas.html
post #2763 of 2786 Old 08-08-2015, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon View Post
I have no plans for a pool house. They look awesome, but it is just a big extra cost and frankly neither something we need nor can afford. Maybe in the future, we would like to add an extra one car garage with an office above it, and maybe a bathroom on the main level which would be near the stairs going down to the pool, but that would be a lonnnnnng way off. The pool financing is a 7 year term, and the rest will be cash/equity so it will tie up money for quite some time. We already have a large good-looking shed being put in, which will deal with all of our storage concerns, and our basement door opens directly to our patio/pool deck area. The entire basement is now tile, and that is where the bar and bathroom are. We already have an outdoor bar, sink, fridge, grill, and shower, so there really isn't much of a need for a poolhouse other than a cover for the pool equipment itself. That piece is the only thing we don't know yet... where that will go. I would like it to be out of the way, or at least in a place that is 1) easy to access and 2) hidden from view. I have to talk with a couple more pool companies in the next week. The one which gave our original estimate is affordable enough, but aren't in the top 5 recommended pool installers in our area. Our neighbor used the one we got an estimate from, and they have had some problems so if a more reputable installer has a similar price I would rather go with them. Likely, the pool plaster itself won't be done until spring, but the pool deck can be finished in the fall and that would be a big deal since we can use it in the fall/winter/spring. I'm actually getting really excited (and a bit nauseous over the price) that this may finally get started!
So are you going concrete with the pool? ThT is our biggest unknown. I want to cause they I can mold the pool to what I want but my wife wants to go fiberglass for cost. A concrete pool in our area is 50k just for stArt. It's a big but to crack cause after everything u r are at the 100k mark. Fiberglass would knock a lot off that. I think we can get the layout we want with fiber now. We know we want to go salt water though. That's a must.
post #2764 of 2786 Old 08-09-2015, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimim View Post
So are you going concrete with the pool? ThT is our biggest unknown. I want to cause they I can mold the pool to what I want but my wife wants to go fiberglass for cost. A concrete pool in our area is 50k just for stArt. It's a big but to crack cause after everything u r are at the 100k mark. Fiberglass would knock a lot off that. I think we can get the layout we want with fiber now. We know we want to go salt water though. That's a must.
The way our plan is drawn is for a concrete pool, but that part is pretty expensive like you said. Just the pool part plus equipment and water features is around $80k. I did find a fiberglass pool shell that is almost the same as our plan this week at the leisurepools website and am going to get them to give an estimate as well. The two downsides of fiberglass are 1) it cant be more than 16' wide and 2) you are stuck with the shapes given. So our original plan had a 41.9' pool, and the two largest widths were 17.5 and 20'. The pool design we found is 40' by 16' so it is less pool sqft but it would probably end up being half the price, which would make a HUGE difference in cost. That alone would pay for all of the extra stuff we need to do like fencing, landscaping, furniture, etc with plenty leftover. I haven't received a quote yet, but if the wife agrees I'd like to try and use the shell below. The only thing about it I don't like is that I'd like the steps to be on the opposite side. It isn't a huge deal, and if the savings are upwards of half the price, I wouldn't care. Still, it is a little bit smaller overall, but unless it is big enough for laps, I usually just float around anyway

Two designs we are looking at
http://www.leisurepoolsusa.com/fiber...ls/the-eclipse
http://calmwaterpools.com/inground-s...berglass-pool/

I still have not yet received replies from voicemail or email from Leisure though, so that is a bit of a downer. Time will come into play eventually. In this day and age, where everything is instant, I get irked when I can't get some method of communication within 24 hours as it only takes a minute to give a quick reply, even if all it says is we got your request but we're swamped and it might take a few days....especially with products/purchases which will cost tens of thousands of dollars or more.

Last edited by damelon; 08-11-2015 at 09:16 AM.
post #2765 of 2786 Old 08-12-2015, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The way our plan is drawn is for a concrete pool, but that part is pretty expensive like you said. Just the pool part plus equipment and water features is around $80k. I did find a fiberglass pool shell that is almost the same as our plan this week at the leisurepools website and am going to get them to give an estimate as well. The two downsides of fiberglass are 1) it cant be more than 16' wide and 2) you are stuck with the shapes given. So our original plan had a 41.9' pool, and the two largest widths were 17.5 and 20'. The pool design we found is 40' by 16' so it is less pool sqft but it would probably end up being half the price, which would make a HUGE difference in cost. That alone would pay for all of the extra stuff we need to do like fencing, landscaping, furniture, etc with plenty leftover. I haven't received a quote yet, but if the wife agrees I'd like to try and use the shell below. The only thing about it I don't like is that I'd like the steps to be on the opposite side. It isn't a huge deal, and if the savings are upwards of half the price, I wouldn't care. Still, it is a little bit smaller overall, but unless it is big enough for laps, I usually just float around anyway

Two designs we are looking at
http://www.leisurepoolsusa.com/fiber...ls/the-eclipse
http://calmwaterpools.com/inground-s...berglass-pool/

I still have not yet received replies from voicemail or email from Leisure though, so that is a bit of a downer. Time will come into play eventually. In this day and age, where everything is instant, I get irked when I can't get some method of communication within 24 hours as it only takes a minute to give a quick reply, even if all it says is we got your request but we're swamped and it might take a few days....especially with products/purchases which will cost tens of thousands of dollars or more.
Received my initial quote from Leisure Pools last night. It was literally exactly what I expected. About 50% of the cost of the Concrete/Gunite Pool. This is the initial base quote, there will be a few mods necessary to it really won't matter at this point. Basically $40k vs $80k is a no-brainer. I could add every option I can imagine and it will still be cheaper, and take less install time. The pool is slightly smaller (40 ft x 16 ft) but not by much. I'm personally much more interested in the rest of the pool deck/patio than the pool itself anyway, so I don't mind about the size, mostly the price and features. The biggest issue I've noticed so far is that this particular pool dealer doesn't have a facility/office in Virginia, so while they will come do the pool install, they only do minimal things, which means I would need to contract out all of the extras and that can be a big pain. The cost is a lot cheaper, true, but the mental stress is overwhelming because I like to always have a project planned before I start. What a pain!

Still have 2 meetings with 2 more concrete companies though, and their finished products are very impressive. Check out the gallery at http://www.nvblu.com/ CRAZY!

Last edited by damelon; 08-13-2015 at 06:09 AM.
post #2766 of 2786 Old 08-13-2015, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
Jim, you may want to take a look at Gpowers pool house. It included his theater.
jeff,

thanks jeff. i'll go back to his build.

jim
post #2767 of 2786 Old 08-13-2015, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Received my initial quote from Leisure Pools last night. It was literally exactly what I expected. About 50% of the cost of the Concrete/Gunite Pool. This is the initial base quote, there will be a few mods necessary to it really won't matter at this point. Basically $40k vs $80k is a no-brainer. I could add every option I can imagine and it will still be cheaper, and take less install time. The pool is slightly smaller (40 ft x 16 ft) but not by much. I'm personally much more interested in the rest of the pool deck/patio than the pool itself anyway, so I don't mind about the size, mostly the price and features. The biggest issue I've noticed so far is that this particular pool dealer doesn't have a facility/office in Virginia, so while they will come do the pool install, they only do minimal things, which means I would need to contract out all of the extras and that can be a big pain. The cost is a lot cheaper, true, but the mental stress is overwhelming because I like to always have a project planned before I start. What a pain!

Still have 2 meetings with 2 more concrete companies though, and their finished products are very impressive. Check out the gallery at http://www.nvblu.com/ CRAZY!
same here with costs. the pool is second to me also. i know we both want a spa to overflow into the pool and the whole pool needs to look built in vs how most pools look that have liners. i want all natural stone around the pool and surrounding areas since i have access to fields upon fields of bluestone and other stones living where i do. for me i just the pool company to just do the pool and i will have my dad's friends who built my home do the rest. all the masonry work i would never trust to anyone else than my dad's best friend who bricked my whole home, did all my blue stone patios and fireplaces.

i'm moving again on the basement so hopefully in a month or so while dave is building the bar cabinets i will have everything else done down there except theatre and can pull my attention to outside. get my buddy here to shoot my backyard again and get elevations and see where he thinks we should place the pool and pool house and where it will be easiest to get out to the sewer for the bathroom.

right now just by looking in my yard. i'm seeing the pool right off my patio and the pool house to the right in my yard which will totally block out my one neighbor. i'm thinking the pool house will be 2 steps below the pool elevation so i can picture a nice retaining wall with steps to get up to the pool deck level. i have it all in my head just got to spit it out on paper but i need elevations first.

once i get to that point i will call the concrete pool company for a quote and the other company that do fiberglass and see what they come up with.

i know with both i can have them do just the pool and then kick em out and they won't mind.

jim
post #2768 of 2786 Old 08-13-2015, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
same here with costs. the pool is second to me also. i know we both want a spa to overflow into the pool and the whole pool needs to look built in vs how most pools look that have liners. i want all natural stone around the pool and surrounding areas since i have access to fields upon fields of bluestone and other stones living where i do. for me i just the pool company to just do the pool and i will have my dad's friends who built my home do the rest. all the masonry work i would never trust to anyone else than my dad's best friend who bricked my whole home, did all my blue stone patios and fireplaces.

i'm moving again on the basement so hopefully in a month or so while dave is building the bar cabinets i will have everything else done down there except theatre and can pull my attention to outside. get my buddy here to shoot my backyard again and get elevations and see where he thinks we should place the pool and pool house and where it will be easiest to get out to the sewer for the bathroom.

right now just by looking in my yard. i'm seeing the pool right off my patio and the pool house to the right in my yard which will totally block out my one neighbor. i'm thinking the pool house will be 2 steps below the pool elevation so i can picture a nice retaining wall with steps to get up to the pool deck level. i have it all in my head just got to spit it out on paper but i need elevations first.

once i get to that point i will call the concrete pool company for a quote and the other company that do fiberglass and see what they come up with.

i know with both i can have them do just the pool and then kick em out and they won't mind.

jim
I hear you. I too love the look of stone. I don't mind if the base is pavers or stamped concrete, but I like the walls to be real stone. We have a plan for a stone retaining wall behind our pool due to the hill there, and would like a rock waterfall into the center. If we didn't have the septic field there, I would do a shallow pool deck above which would have water falling down into the pool, but we can't build up there. We have our spa already so we didn't need to do that. Having the plans already helps me visualize the whole thing much better than I ever could, I just want to make sure it all gets done properly. Fiberglass pools have come a long way and they can now be integrated to look just like a concrete pool, other than the fact of having embedded tiles on the bottom or things like that.

I just get too caught up in the amazing galleries I see at some of the websites for custom concrete companies. The work they do is amazing and I keep thinking my design is too simple. But reality is I can't afford the projects they have. Too bad!

I have appointments with Anthony Sylvan Pools and NVBlu next week (Both concrete builders) and I'll make a decision after that.

Last edited by damelon; 08-13-2015 at 01:28 PM.
post #2769 of 2786 Old 08-13-2015, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I hear you. I too love the look of stone. I don't mind if the base is pavers or stamped concrete, but I like the walls to be real stone. We have a plan for a stone retaining wall behind our pool due to the hill there, and would like a rock waterfall into the center. If we didn't have the septic field there, I would do a shallow pool deck above which would have water falling down into the pool, but we can't build up there. We have our spa already so we didn't need to do that. Having the plans already helps me visualize the whole thing much better than I ever could, I just want to make sure it all gets done properly. Fiberglass pools have come a long way and they can now be integrated to look just like a concrete pool, other than the fact of having embedded tiles on the bottom or things like that.

I just get too caught up in the amazing galleries I see at some of the websites for custom concrete companies. The work they do is amazing and I keep thinking my design is too simple. But reality is I can't afford the projects they have. Too bad!

I have appointments with Anthony Sylvan Pools and NVBlu next week (Both concrete builders) and I'll make a decision after that.
Anthony is the only concrete guy we can get in our area. They did our friends while back yard. It's sick. Their back yard is like a cliff but they tiered it three times down to the pool. Each tier is a themed area. Eating. Sunbathing. Fire pit. It's nuts. Tons on retaining walls and stone. Looks awesome.
post #2770 of 2786 Old 08-14-2015, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Anthony is the only concrete guy we can get in our area. They did our friends while back yard. It's sick. Their back yard is like a cliff but they tiered it three times down to the pool. Each tier is a themed area. Eating. Sunbathing. Fire pit. It's nuts. Tons on retaining walls and stone. Looks awesome.
Yeah the pool designs these companies do are incredible. I wish we had a space that allowed more choices but we are pretty confined on the area we can put the pool. I love multi-tiered spaces because it allows for more falling water or highlights landscaping more. Still, our yard is mostly crab-grass, and we have been waiting to finish this so that we can finally get it all treated. We didn't do it before because if we did do the pool it would get torn up from the heavy equipment. I already know the fiberglass option will be the cheapest, but it will involve more coordination on my part. I almost prefer the concrete companies if their prices are reasonable because they do a lot more. The big complication is the fact that we've done part of our patio/pool deck already. If we don't use the same stamped concrete company to finish it, then it won't match, so we're sort of locked in with them now. Anyway, we will probably make a decision in a week or so and start to work out all of the financing.
post #2771 of 2786 Old 08-18-2015, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Received my updated quote from Greystone last night, which is the stamped concrete company who did the first portion of our patio/bar area two years ago. The total cost was about what I expected. I had changed my plan layout since last time a little (Due to the staircase being moved back 4 feet or so) and that, along with slightly increased costs made it about $6k more than the original quote to complete my entire pool deck/retaining wall, fire pit, fireplace, pavilion, columns, etc. Tomorrow is my meeting with Anthony Sylvan pools and thursday morning will be NVBlu. I've already received an estimate from Blue Haven pools for a Gunite pool, and an estimate for a fiberglass pool from Leisure pools. The Fiberglass quote from Leisure pools is about 55-60% of the cost of the Gunite pool from Blue Haven, but there are a few differences. The Gunite pool quote includes the back retaining wall, some tile work, and a rock water feature. It also includes other things like pool cleaners, they do all permits, direct electrical hookup, inspections, etc. The fiberglass pool quote is basic installation only. Based on that, and that the size is a bit smaller, I am finding it more and more likely that we will end up putting a Gunite pool in. If a local fiberglass company had a pool design we liked and did all of the same install work, I would be a lot more inclined to use them. I would prefer to use Anthony Sylvan or NVBlu by far over Blue Haven due to things I've read. Many people have used Blue Haven pools in our neighborhood, but their reviews overall are very low. In our area, some of the top pool companies are Anthony Sylvan, NVBlue, Lewis Aquatech, C&C, and Town & Country. For those who don't remember, Lewis Aquatech is the company who originally did our pool design, and they were to charge $2,500 for it, but due to delays it was free. We got a quote from them before we did any of the work to do the entire pool, but the cost was astronomical at $420k! So yeah, I'll never speak to that company again. At least we got a detailed design for free!

I'll post more updates next week and once the details start coming in, I will post here. Just be prepared for sticker shock, as I will post general pricing as well.

Last edited by damelon; 08-18-2015 at 12:33 PM.
post #2772 of 2786 Old 08-20-2015, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Update: So my wife and I met with a rep from Anthony & Sylvan pools last night. I may have already made a mental decision on my pool builder. The guy was a couple levels above what I had experienced so far. There were levels of professionalism, trust, and experience that I just didn't get from my previous discussions. I think I would have no fear at all that they would do an amazing job. Their price was on par with Blue Haven Pools, but there were more options included, and a better product for the price. He will even help tweak the rest of my pool design for no charge to make sure the pool deck fits properly, even though they won't be building any of the pool deck. I still have an appointment with NVBlu on Monday, just to be sure we get a third Gunite quote. At this point though, it would take a lot for them to win me over. It is also nice that their main office in the area is less than 10 minutes from my office and I could drive there on any day during lunch to work out parts of the build. They also had some really cool rock waterfall pictures that they have done (Including ones from Gilbert Arenas' pool when they did his Grotto) that we liked, of course ones more our price range. They will also do fencing for us if we want, and could help us manage contacting anyone we needed to complete parts of the project, which was nice too. The way I round relate the vibe I got while talking to the rep would be that talking to this guy reminded me of when I first met BIGmouthInDC and talked to him about building my theater. Hard to beat that.
Mfusick likes this.

Last edited by damelon; 08-20-2015 at 08:11 AM.
post #2773 of 2786 Old 08-20-2015, 08:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 1992
Go with your gut

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #2774 of 2786 Old 08-20-2015, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
Go with your gut
I may already have done that. Still getting a 3rd quote. Can't hurt.

One other thing.. I talked to him about Greystone as my stamped concrete company and he said the price they were quoting me was very, very good. So it made me feel better about that too!
post #2775 of 2786 Old 08-25-2015, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thought of the day : I can't tell what has upset me more in the last 24 hours. The stock market or Allison Brie getting engaged.

-------------------------------------------------
Quotes! Yeah, I do full disclosure... odd that I don't like discussing money with friends but I do it publicly online. But the whole point of this forum, to me, is information sharing and knowledge, so I feel like people should be able to look at something and get a good understanding of how much work it takes and what it might cost to do it.

Well I finally met with NVBlu yesterday, and it was a much shorter meeting since I didn't have as many questions to ask.

Blue Haven Pools : $61,283 (Concrete)
Anthony & Sylvan : $72,700 (Concrete)
Leisure Pools : $37,680 (Fiberglass)
NVBlu : $102,000 (Concrete)

So I'll start with the general differences in the Fiberglass pool quote. First, it is quite a bit smaller. I have talked with several pool owners in my area and every single one wishes they built a bigger pool. All of which already had concrete pools. So the SQFT / Gallons of the pool would be about 25-30% smaller overall. That side, the pool installation is minimal. They don't include any hookup to gas or electrical, and they don't do any of the coping / retaining wall work, nor would the build a water feature. (that would need to be done on my own somehow) Besides all of those things, the biggest issue is, they deliver the pool and don't do much else and their closest location is in Tennessee. Which means I'd have no local service in case of a problem. That is sort of a deal breaker for me. They also do not pull any permits. (All concrete companies take care of all the permits) It also changes my pool plan since the pool dimensions were custom to begin with.

The price difference between Blue Haven and Anthony & Sylvan comes down to what is included and what isn't. Actually their prices end up being very close in the end. A&S Includes some higher end equipment, a better pool cleaner, 400k vs 100k BTU heater, a custom mesh security cover, the in-pool tanning deck with umbrella sleave and 2 bubblers. (He just quoted me on them, so that is -$800 if I remove them) The quote for Blue Haven was 3-7' and A&S was 3-8', and Blue Haven would charge $350 to increase the depth. Blue Haven does include the pool water (I am on a well) where A&S charges for water trucks. Both include utility hookups and will pull permits. A&S uses a better pool shell design vs Blue Haven (In fact the exact issue came up with my neighbor's pool due to this, and they used Blue Haven) - Prices for rock waterfalls was similar on both companies.

So the adjusted quotes for all of the same things would be:
Blue Haven : $61,283 + $350 (depth) + $4500 (custom cover) + $1995 (Tanning Ledge) + $600 (BTU heater upgrade) + $600 (Pool Cleaner upgrade) = $69,238 (Does not include rock waterfall)
Anthony & Sylvan : $72,700 - $800 (Bubblers) = $71,900 (Does not include rock waterfall)
NVBlu : $102,000 (Includes waterfall)

Pretty much a wash on price between the first two. Between these three companies, no question I'd go with A&S over Blue Haven. Mostly due to the company itself. NVBlu is an interesting company because it is ONLY a local company, yet they are ranked highest in the area and still are ranked nationally. NVBlue's price (assuming that the waterfall it taken out) is still quite a bit higher, and that price difference could only really be justified by increased quality control and management. They do seem like they have a much tighter knit company than the other two, and lowers the potential risk with problems and service, so it is something to consider.

As for the pool deck itself, that is to be done by Greystone Masonry. They will pretty much be doing everything else for the pool. I discussed this with all three companies when I got quotes, and when I met with A&S they told me that the prices for their work were excellent, especially with what is included, so that part is pretty much squared away. The remainder of the pool deck will be just a bit more expensive than the pool itself. Considering the amount of work done, that isn't bad. It is a LOT of concrete, plus lighting, fire pit, outdoor pavilion, fireplace, retaining walls, steps, etc.

We plan to get things moving as soon as this week! Though due to permits no actual work will start until September most likely. (Which is when we will be getting our shed too!)

Last edited by damelon; 08-25-2015 at 02:23 PM.
post #2776 of 2786 Old 08-25-2015, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Ugh. I want a pool at my house. But looking at those prices..... I hate living in the richest county in America sometimes.

Can't we be like Florida and I can get a pool put in for $15k?

My Home Theater Build: The Vortex Theater Build
post #2777 of 2786 Old 08-25-2015, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper View Post
Ugh. I want a pool at my house. But looking at those prices..... I hate living in the richest county in America sometimes.

Can't we be like Florida and I can get a pool put in for $15k?
Hah! Well you CAN get a pool for cheaper. Smaller pools (esp fiberglass ones) are much cheaper. Florida doesn't really need heaters either, or covers, since you don't need to close the pool, and because of that they can also use sand filters too. Take the basic budget pool deck that some companies include and detach it from the house so fencing is also cheaper. But yes.. I agree. I'd prefer it to be there already and not pay anything!

Oh and here is an example of the kind of water feature we were looking at putting in. Natural large rocks with randomly falling water, not one of the pre-fab cascade flat waterfalls. Size will vary depending on space of course

post #2778 of 2786 Old 08-25-2015, 10:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Hah! Well you CAN get a pool for cheaper. Smaller pools are pretty cheap. Florida doesn't really need heaters either, or covers, since you don't need to close the pool, and because of that they can also use sand filters too. Take the basic budget pool deck that some companies include and detach it from the house so fencing is also cheaper. But yes.. I agree. I'd prefer it to be there already and not pay anything!

Oh and here is an example of the kind of water feature we were looking at putting in. Natural large rocks with randomly falling water, not one of the pre-fab cascade flat waterfalls. Size will vary depending on space of course

Oh yeah, I know. I'm just venting. Part of me wants a pool (namely when I'm working on the yard and sweating my *** off), but then the rational part of me can't justify it. If I had a neighborhood pool I'd be totally fine. I'll just continue to suck it up and use the pool at my gym.

That or hit the lotto.

My Home Theater Build: The Vortex Theater Build
post #2779 of 2786 Old 08-25-2015, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thought of the day : I can't tell what has upset me more in the last 24 hours. The stock market or Allison Brie getting engaged.

-------------------------------------------------
Quotes! Yeah, I do full disclosure... odd that I don't like discussing money with friends but I do it publicly online. But the whole point of this forum, to me, is information sharing and knowledge, so I feel like people should be able to look at something and get a good understanding of how much work it takes and what it might cost to do it.

Well I finally met with NVBlu yesterday, and it was a much shorter meeting since I didn't have as many questions to ask.

Blue Haven Pools : $61,283 (Concrete)
Anthony & Sylvan : $72,700 (Concrete)
Leisure Pools : $37,680 (Fiberglass)
NVBlu : $102,000 (Concrete)

So I'll start with the general differences in the Fiberglass pool quote. First, it is quite a bit smaller. I have talked with several pool owners in my area and every single one wishes they built a bigger pool. All of which already had concrete pools. So the SQFT / Gallons of the pool would be about 25-30% smaller overall. That side, the pool installation is minimal. They don't include any hookup to gas or electrical, and they don't do any of the coping / retaining wall work, nor would the build a water feature. (that would need to be done on my own somehow) Besides all of those things, the biggest issue is, they deliver the pool and don't do much else and their closest location is in Tennessee. Which means I'd have no local service in case of a problem. That is sort of a deal breaker for me. They also do not pull any permits. (All concrete companies take care of all the permits) It also changes my pool plan since the pool dimensions were custom to begin with.

The price difference between Blue Haven and Anthony & Sylvan comes down to what is included and what isn't. Actually their prices end up being very close in the end. A&S Includes some higher end equipment, a better pool cleaner, 400k vs 100k BTU heater, a custom mesh security cover, the in-pool tanning deck with umbrella sleave and 2 bubblers. (He just quoted me on them, so that is -$800 if I remove them) The quote for Blue Haven was 3-7' and A&S was 3-8', and Blue Haven would charge $350 to increase the depth. Blue Haven does include the pool water (I am on a well) where A&S charges for water trucks. Both include utility hookups and will pull permits. A&S uses a better pool shell design vs Blue Haven (In fact the exact issue came up with my neighbor's pool due to this, and they used Blue Haven) - Prices for rock waterfalls was similar on both companies.

So the adjusted quotes for all of the same things would be:
Blue Haven : $61,283 + $350 (depth) + $4500 (custom cover) + $1995 (Tanning Ledge) + $600 (BTU heater upgrade) + $600 (Pool Cleaner upgrade) = $69,238 (Does not include rock waterfall)
Anthony & Sylvan : $72,700 - $800 (Bubblers) = $71,900 (Does not include rock waterfall)
NVBlu : $102,000 (Includes waterfall)

Pretty much a wash on price between the first two. Between these three companies, no question I'd go with A&S over Blue Haven. Mostly due to the company itself. NVBlu is an interesting company because it is ONLY a local company, yet they are ranked highest in the area and still are ranked nationally. NVBlue's price (assuming that the waterfall it taken out) is still quite a bit higher, and that price difference could only really be justified by increased quality control and management. They do seem like they have a much tighter knit company than the other two, and lowers the potential risk with problems and service, so it is something to consider.

As for the pool deck itself, that is to be done by Greystone Masonry. They will pretty much be doing everything else for the pool. I discussed this with all three companies when I got quotes, and when I met with A&S they told me that the prices for their work were excellent, especially with what is included, so that part is pretty much squared away. The remainder of the pool deck will be just a bit more expensive than the pool itself. Considering the amount of work done, that isn't bad. It is a LOT of concrete, plus lighting, fire pit, outdoor pavilion, fireplace, retaining walls, steps, etc.

We plan to get things moving as soon as this week! Though due to permits no actual work will start until September most likely. (Which is when we will be getting our shed too!)
Very good info. I keep telling my wife its 100k to do it right soup to nuts. I always say the pool is the cheapest part. It's everything else. Clive you pavers, pool house with another fireplace and kitchen. I know for a fact my fence will be 10 grand and that is without my brick piers with limestone caps for lights. Crap all adds up. jim, my buddy who is work g on my theatre with me and basement, keeps telling me to put 50 k aside for just the pool house based on what I want and how I am.

It kinda makes me sick for the three months it will be used. Chats why I want to dump money in e pool house cause that we can use year round almost.

Jim
post #2780 of 2786 Old 08-25-2015, 10:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 34

Fiberglass Works great here in Norway but need heating pump for the weather conditons.
post #2781 of 2786 Old 08-25-2015, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Thanks! Just got the rope light down... those nail-in clips are not fun to pull out!

Simply awesome built, really great!
post #2782 of 2786 Old 08-26-2015, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

We decided to go with Anthony & Sylvan pools along with Greystone Masonry to finish our pool. Although I have a feeling I would feel more comfortable with NVBlu as far as making sure the project goes smoothly, I wasn't going to pay 20% more for that comfort! Let's just hope all goes well either way. My neighbor told me, "You will love your pool, you will just hate your pool builder".

Quote:
Very good info. I keep telling my wife its 100k to do it right soup to nuts. I always say the pool is the cheapest part. It's everything else. Clive you pavers, pool house with another fireplace and kitchen. I know for a fact my fence will be 10 grand and that is without my brick piers with limestone caps for lights. Crap all adds up. jim, my buddy who is work g on my theatre with me and basement, keeps telling me to put 50 k aside for just the pool house based on what I want and how I am.

It kinda makes me sick for the three months it will be used. Chats why I want to dump money in e pool house cause that we can use year round almost.

Jim
Yeah I agree. I am more personally excited by the pool deck than the pool itself. We will be getting clear vinyl screens for the pavilion so that we can lower them in the winter, have the fireplace going. Since we are running power to it, I will probably look into running ethernet and cable as well and have a mount above the fireplace there where we could put a TV. But yeah, crap does all add up. Pool, pool deck, things like bar/grill, lighting, fence... it does end up being a lot of work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnygrandis View Post

Fiberglass Works great here in Norway but need heating pump for the weather conditons.
No doubt. They work great everywhere! They are easier to keep clean, quicker to install, and usually cheaper. Any small pool "should" be fiberglass. I'll be putting in a heater here too, but it isn't necessary. That's an awesome pool cover. Turns into an indoor pool!

Quote:
Simply awesome built, really great!
Thanks! I never really used the red rope lighting anyway, so replacing it with the Black lights for the star ceiling was a no brainer! Now that the star ceiling is done, the screen is replaced, and the door bottom swapped out, I am pretty much done with the theater. I will probably upgrade to 4K and such at some point, but not until it is more main stream. Movies already look amazing in 1080p.

------------------------------

Update : 8/27 : Meeting with A&S Friday. Finalizing plan design, signing contract, etc will be done then and then let the permitting process begin!

Last edited by damelon; 08-27-2015 at 06:51 AM.
post #2783 of 2786 Old 08-28-2015, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Contract with A&S Signed today. On-site pool design overview early next week. Ended up getting another $1k off plus some other free stuff in the end.
nickbuol and johnnygrandis like this.
post #2784 of 2786 Old 08-30-2015, 10:29 PM

Free stuff is great Any thought about cleaning? I use the SharkVac XL, Works great so far..

And yes the top cover is useful here in Norway, here is a Picture (almost) fully closed.

Last edited by johnnygrandis; 08-30-2015 at 10:36 PM.
post #2785 of 2786 Old 08-31-2015, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Free stuff is great Any thought about cleaning? I use the SharkVac XL, Works great so far..
Yes the pool comes with the latest high end Polaris pressure pool cleaner. I have the brochure at home but I don't see the new model reflected on their website. It looks like the 3900 sport / F6.
post #2786 of 2786 Old Today, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Update:

So I had a final design meeting with A&S Yesterday (and it was HOT out!!) to discuss final pool design and placement. We went and measured out some focal points in our plan in the back yard, which was helpful to see visually. One thing we did notice, was that on the original plan design by Lewis Aquatech, they mis-labelled the width of the house wall where the hot tub is by 3 feet. So The plan was 3 feet wider at that point than the drawing stated. Fortunately it was on the side of the house where that doesn't affect the pool placement itself. Since that side of the decking curves over to meet the pavilion, then all we needed to do was move that 3 feet over and have the curve extend out. I'm going to have to discuss this with the concrete company to ensure our estimate is correct. We don't envision there being any issues as far as distance from the septic field, but there may be issues with the pavilion placement based on the location of the septic tank and the inspector who approves the plan, since there will be footings within 20 feet of the tank, however nothing would be deeper than 4 feet within 10 feet of the tank, so it depends on the guy and how anal he wants to be. We won't be reallly digging down much either though due to elevation there since that is where the land tapers down so it would actually need to be built up to be level instead of cut-down. We also had some significant discussions about the rear pool wall. Initially we were going to use a raised bond beam which would be stone faced like the rest of the pool deck retaining walls (1-1.5 feet high at most) but instead we will make the whole rear wall natural stone so it will appear that the waterfall is the entire rear wall of the pool. Yes, this makes the waterfall more expensive but it should be a wash because of the removal of the cost of the raised bond beam on the pool itself. As for pool steps, we ended up making the deep end bench extend out into the pool deck vs taking up pool space, and the first step into the pool in the shallow end does the same thing. I have a picture of the changes at home, and I will edit this post to add it later. We also think that due to the placement of the circular fire-pit area that there should be room to get a riding lawnmower around to the back hill of our home where the septic field is as long as the fence doesn't intersect with this space. It is just wide enough so that a lawnmower can get by, so we will need gates in the front and back, we just need to make sure the side of the fence goes into the woods a bit so it doesn't take up any of that space.

So permit applications will be started and then before the county comes out to officially check the plans against the yard, A&S will come back and flag out the pool area for approval. So expect some pictures to start coming in soon!

Shed also got delivered tomorrow, disassembled and shrink-wrapped, so I need to get those footing posts finished. I was going to do that yesterday but it was just too hot. I will likely finish this when it cools down on Saturday, and the shed assembly will also get photos here.

We are still in the financing application process, so there is still an outside chance it could all get delayed if there is a problem there.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Optoma Th1060p Projector , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , M80 V3 Floorstanding Speaker Boston Cherry , Sony Vpl Vw95es Full Hd 3d Home Cinema Projector , Seaton Sound Submersive H P
Gear in this thread