Theater Build: Mike's Money Pit - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 254 Old 01-03-2012, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
(By the way, gorgeous cabinet you built! Love the Dominoes. There are a crapload of those in my house at this point... )

Mike Kobb
(Formerly "ReplayMike". These opinions are mine alone, and in no way reflect the opinions of employers past or present!)
"Mike's Money Pit" Build Thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 254 Old 01-16-2012, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Construction of the big bookcases up front has begun! Photos to follow soon. We also have the racks in place in their final home, and work is underway to do preliminary wiring for all the speaker wires that will terminate at the Sunfire, Velodyne and Control4 amplifiers (Control4 for the distributed audio).

Mike Kobb
(Formerly "ReplayMike". These opinions are mine alone, and in no way reflect the opinions of employers past or present!)
post #93 of 254 Old 01-16-2012, 02:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wow, what a project, puts my little room to shame, but, I am a noob at this, you have to start somewhere.... subscribed!
post #94 of 254 Old 01-16-2012, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Very cool build Mike....I just read the entire thread, great read!

The pit is awesome!....BOSS is amazing! Keep up the good work
post #95 of 254 Old 02-15-2012, 09:14 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Nice to see this moving forward. I remember checking in on your build, back when you decided to rotate the room 90 degrees and knock out some walls to make it a larger space. It is going to be one nice room when you get it done and should perform well. Keep with the pictures.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #96 of 254 Old 02-15-2012, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks! The stage construction is well underway. Photos of that soon!

Mike Kobb
post #97 of 254 Old 02-15-2012, 09:51 AM

Great thread! I haven't read everything as I'm at work, but I was reading the post on the subs. Thanks for going into such detail, as I finally understand what bass traps are! And I'm a little concerned about some odd angles in my room. Can't wait to see how your room turns out!
post #98 of 254 Old 02-15-2012, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

This is a really quick posting, but I'm so pleased that I just had to dash off a quick message to share this.

This is the benefit of working with a great contractor. A great contractor will say things like, "Hey, instead of just laying the flooring straight from front to back, why don't we taper cut all the boards so that they follow the curved front of the stage."

It is a bit of extra money in labor, but this is so going to be worth it. Here's the work in progress.

Mike Kobb
post #99 of 254 Old 02-15-2012, 09:17 PM

Liked: 18
Wow. That looks really great! Time consuming, I am sure, but it will be worth it in the end!
post #100 of 254 Old 02-15-2012, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks! Yeah, it's probably an extra couple of days of installation. In the grand scheme of things, it'll definitely be worth it for the wow factor. The focal point of all those converging boards is the money seat, too.

Mike Kobb
post #101 of 254 Old 02-16-2012, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike View Post

This is the benefit of working with a great contractor.

I had a custom home built a few years back. Tom (the builder) always said "I'm not a contractor. I am a builder". So true what you say Mike.

The floor and casework look great.

High Desert Theater - work in progress
Building Bass - Subs

Surrounds - Easy as Pi

Storage - unRAID unDELL

post #102 of 254 Old 02-16-2012, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

Wow. Just ... wow.

This room is going to be so stunning! I'm having a great time watching it all come together.

I love the doors, too. I haven't seen anigre used for room doors before, but why the heck not? Your craftsmen are obviously up to the challenge!

Maker of the finest saw dust since 1980, give or take

MY Custom AV Cabinet with DIY Pull-Out and Rotate Rack
post #103 of 254 Old 02-16-2012, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightp View Post

Wow. Just ... wow.

That's funny! That's exactly what I said last night when I walked into the room and saw it!

Quote:

I love the doors, too. I haven't seen anigre used for room doors before, but why the heck not? Your craftsmen are obviously up to the challenge!

Thanks! Yes, they do beautiful work with an amazing attention to detail.

Mike Kobb
post #104 of 254 Old 02-16-2012, 10:52 AM

Liked: 13
Mike your thread so far has been amazing. That last detail with the floor is going to look beautiful, but I have to say I'm really impressed with the attention you have paid to the acoustics of the space. Binary, skyline, and it looks like QRD diffusors? Wow, you must have some plan, I bet that room is going to sound absolutely incredible.
post #105 of 254 Old 02-16-2012, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks! You're correct on all three counts on the diffusors. There are 1D and 2D QRD diffusors, although the 1Ds are only barely visible in one of the photos (under one of the 2Ds). There are also various other diffusion, absorption and reflection surfaces as part of the plan. Even the big bookcase in the front has built-in diffusion and bass trapping.

The only credit I can take for the acoustics is that I'm the one who called Keith Yates. All the rest is down to KYDG's talent and expertise. I guarantee you that I can't wait to hear it!

Mike Kobb
post #106 of 254 Old 02-16-2012, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Oh, by the way, you may already have noticed but I'll just point out for anybody who's interested: if you look closely in the photos of the black-painted walls, you can see areas marked out with red grease pencil. Each of the numbers there corresponds to a different acoustical treatment product or material (and also a couple of speakers and subs). You can get a sense of the plan just by noticing the variety of materials, and the patterns to their placement.

Mike Kobb
post #107 of 254 Old 02-16-2012, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFGuy View Post

Unfortunately over the last year I think I have developed tinnitus or something (i still have to book an appointment to have a hearing test). My family doc doesnt think its the case but its very disheartening to not be able to enjoy audio. Basically I develop a headache if I listen to audio for any amount of time at any volume I guess Ill have to spend more money on the video side of HT.

You might want to investigate whether you have hyperacusis, which is a perception that sounds (usually high-pitched sounds) are too loud and painfully so. It is thought to be an oversensitivity or collapsed tolerance to certain frequencies of sound. One theory suggests that the efferent fibers of the auditory nerve have been selectively damaged. In cases not involving aural trauma to the inner ear, theory has it that hyperacusis can also be acquired as a result of damage to the brain or the neurological system. In these cases, hyperacusis can be defined as a cerebral processing problem specific to how the brain perceives sound.

These theories are somewhat controversial. The most common treatment is Tinnitus Retraining Therapy, used to rebuild tolerance to these sounds.

Steve Goff
post #108 of 254 Old 02-16-2012, 01:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
Stage looks great. So does the rest. Thanks for posting.
post #109 of 254 Old 02-16-2012, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Goff View Post

You might want to investigate whether you have hyperacusis, which is a perception that sounds (usually high-pitched sounds) are too loud and painfully so. It is thought to be an oversensitivity or collapsed tolerance to certain frequencies of sound. One theory suggests that the efferent fibers of the auditory nerve have been selectively damaged. In cases not involving aural trauma to the inner ear, theory has it that hyperacusis can also be acquired as a result of damage to the brain or the neurological system. In these cases, hyperacusis can be defined as a cerebral processing problem specific to how the brain perceives sound.

These theories are somewhat controversial. The most common treatment is Tinnitus Retraining Therapy, used to rebuild tolerance to these sounds.

Thanks for the concern. I have actually had a hearing test since I last posted here. My hearing is perfectly normal, which as you can imagine was a huge relief. I still have some strange problem that I need to investigate further with my doctor but I don't seem to be as sensitive to sound as before. I am starting to think its more of a migrate/headache problem than a hearing problem. I would hate to give up this hobby and my plans for a HT because I could no longer really enjoy movies. This thread and a few like it have really given me something to look forward to now that I have finished school and save for a house (try saving every penny without a rainbow to look for at the end).
post #110 of 254 Old 02-16-2012, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Good news! Glad to it, no pun intended.

Mike Kobb
post #111 of 254 Old 02-16-2012, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFGuy View Post

Thanks for the concern. I have actually had a hearing test since I last posted here. My hearing is perfectly normal, which as you can imagine was a huge relief. I still have some strange problem that I need to investigate further with my doctor but I don't seem to be as sensitive to sound as before. I am starting to think its more of a migrate/headache problem than a hearing problem. I would hate to give up this hobby and my plans for a HT because I could no longer really enjoy movies. This thread and a few like it have really given me something to look forward to now that I have finished school and save for a house (try saving every penny without a rainbow to look for at the end).

Even if your hearing measures normal you can have an ear/brain sensitivity to some sounds. Of course, sometimes what seems to be a hearing problem turns out to be something else. I'm glad your problem seems to be diminishing.

My hearing changed fairly suddenly several years ago. For a very long time I could not listen to music with lots of high-frequency content, and at times could not stand being places with a lot of high-frequency noise. Using standard tests my hearing tested fine. But I was diagnosed a few years ago as having hyperacusis, and Tinnitus Retraining Therapy seemed to help me.

Steve Goff
post #112 of 254 Old 02-19-2012, 08:30 PM

Liked: 10
GREAT theater man; makes mine look like joke! LOL...
post #113 of 254 Old 02-20-2012, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks! This is my third room, and it definitely is a different beast from the first two...

Mike Kobb
post #114 of 254 Old 03-09-2012, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just a really quick posting to show an update on the stage. I had to share this because it illustrates how awesome my construction guys are. What you're looking at is the clamping system holding the laminated front nosing in place while the glue dries. The nosing is made up of about eight or ten thin layers of sapele hardwood, bent to follow the front curve of the stage and glued and pin-nailed into place. No nails went into the outermost layer, though, so that there would be no holes that needed to be filled.

The little cleats were fixed to the floor with hot glue.

Mike Kobb
post #115 of 254 Old 03-09-2012, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 66
post #116 of 254 Old 03-09-2012, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcascio View Post

Looking sweeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!

Thanks! Just had a look at your build photos as well. Looking fantastic! Nice job on the cabinets.

Mike Kobb
post #117 of 254 Old 03-16-2012, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Micro update: I just had to share this photo because it made me so happy. My builder is doing some custom inlay work on the landing of the stairway that leads down to the theater. This is not yet finished, but it shows the filmstrip border. Yes, all the sprockets are done with individual pieces of wood!

Mike Kobb
post #118 of 254 Old 04-05-2012, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Micro-update. The first coat of finish has gone on the stage!

Mike Kobb
post #119 of 254 Old 04-05-2012, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 96
That's quite the craftsman you have there, Mike. Love the stage and film strip inlay work.
post #120 of 254 Old 04-05-2012, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Indeed! They do really beautiful woodwork. Thanks!

Mike Kobb
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page