Theater Build: Mike's Money Pit - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 254 Old 08-06-2013, 10:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
That is a very cool looking wood stage Mike! The craftsmanship of your build and detail are wonderful. Great job!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 254 Old 08-06-2013, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvmiller View Post

That is a very cool looking wood stage Mike! The craftsmanship of your build and detail are wonderful. Great job!

Thanks! Yes, I've been very lucky to work with some wonderful craftsmen. smile.gif

Mike Kobb
(Formerly "ReplayMike". These opinions are mine alone, and in no way reflect the opinions of employers past or present!)
"Mike's Money Pit" Build Thread
post #183 of 254 Old 08-08-2013, 09:16 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Mike,

Your theater is coming down the final stretch on being completed and it is looking great. Looks like we have a few things in common with a love for Aerial speakers and the same Sony projector. Those Aerial 9's look very nice on the wood stage.

Congrats!wink.gif
post #184 of 254 Old 08-08-2013, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thank you! I'm tickled pink with how the speakers ended up looking on the stage. We didn't set out to try to really match colors or anything, but it turns out that Sapele woodwork, when finished with Osmo (which is an oil/wax finish -- no stain!) is very compatible with the Aerial rosewood veneer. And the Tanoak flooring has enough reds in it that it works well too.

The Sony sat in a box for basically a year, because the theater is so far behind schedule and I bought it according to when the theater was supposed to be finished. It's very very quiet, but I do hear a couple of subtle things from it that I wonder about -- whether they're normal or if the projector needs service. There's a very very quiet constant tone from the fan on low lamp. And in 3D, when the fan goes to high, there's a quiet sound that I swear sounds like a film projector gate/shutter operating. I'm not sure if it's in the fan or if it's something to do with the 1080p/24 3D projection.

Mike Kobb
(Formerly "ReplayMike". These opinions are mine alone, and in no way reflect the opinions of employers past or present!)
post #185 of 254 Old 08-08-2013, 10:08 AM

Liked: 12
This is beautiful. It's very classy and tastefully done. I'm especially impressed that you took your vision and put it to work with both the pit and all of the moving components. This thing turned out gorgeous with no expense spared. Impressive Rack. Very nice build!!

Pro-Am

Theater
Pioneer Elite VSX-94TXH
Definitive Technology BP-2002TLs
Definitive Technology BP2X Speakers
Definitive Technology C/L/R 2500
Mirage BPS-400
Sharp AQUOS 70" 1080p LED HDTV

Living Room
Aperion Intimus 5 series
Denon AVR-1913
post #186 of 254 Old 08-08-2013, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thank you very much! :-)

Mike Kobb
post #187 of 254 Old 08-15-2013, 12:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Can you hear me now? How about now? Good.
Last Friday, one of the engineers from KYDG came by the house to do the preliminary checkout of the room, so that we could find any issues that might need to be addressed before the fabric is installed on the walls.

We got started at about 10am, and finished about 5, with a break for lunch, so it was quite a long day. His car was positively bursting with gear, some of which you can see in these photos.

First up was a check of the room's reverberation characteristics, and the sound isolation performance of the walls and ceiling. This was accomplished with a Brüel & Kjær dodecahedral speaker and measurement equipment.

dodecahedron.jpg
testing.jpg

He also performed a tap test (using a positively crazy mechanized tapping machine) to check out the characteristics of sound transfer from the floor above to the room.

Then, we measured ambient sound levels in the room using an ultra-sensitive low noise floor microphone. These measurements were done with everything off, then with various combinations of equipment operating, including the HVAC, the audio amplifiers, and the projector in both low and high lamp. I was very pleased to see that all the noise mitigation work that we've done on the room has paid off. The only area that I really think could be improved is isolation from outside (environmental) sounds. Perhaps some day, but honestly my neighborhood is pretty quiet, especially in the evening, so it may not be an issue.

We broke for lunch, and afterwards he set up microphones in each of the seating locations, and then played tone sweeps through all fourteen speakers (seven speakers, seven subwoofers) to measure the frequency responses.

can_you_hear_me.jpg

When all was said and done, all the speakers are functioning properly, and it seems that the room's frequency response characteristics are as expected. We didn't find any issues that will prevent fabric installation. We did find that the two big Seaton subs up front needed to be moved a bit farther forward because they were too close to the back of the cabinet, and this was constricting the air movement from the rear woofer. And, we found that the Seatons pressurize the room effectively enough to make the picture window in the rear of the room flex visibly, which in turn causes it to make some noise as it moves in its mount. We're working on figuring out how to address this, but the good news is that it's a Marvin window, and they are designed so that the glass can be replaced from outside if need be.

Just as we completed testing of the last pair of Velodyne subs, the power went out. This was actually a great test, because I was able to confirm that the big UPSes in the rack continue to power all of the media equipment except for the amplifiers, and that they also kept the projector running so that I could shut it down cleanly. We had the Lutron blackout shades down, though, so once the projector was off, the room became utterly dark. We ended up packing up his gear by flashlight. I think I will see if we can power the blackout shades from the UPS as well. I probably should also look into some kind of emergency lighting that comes on when power fails.
superleo likes this.

Mike Kobb
post #188 of 254 Old 08-15-2013, 12:57 AM

Liked: 11
Video of Mike doing his audio tests.
JustMike likes this.
post #189 of 254 Old 08-15-2013, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetforme View Post

smile.gif

Mike Kobb
post #190 of 254 Old 08-15-2013, 10:19 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetforme View Post

That was great.
post #191 of 254 Old 08-15-2013, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 214
^^^

Funny, that is exactly how I find the perfect listening position... smile.gif

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
Screening Room - The Dream House
RPCRT-TV Overscan Reduction
Reference Blu-Ray Demo Disc

Reference 2: Blu-Ray Demo Disc

The Best of the Demo Discs Demo Disc

post #192 of 254 Old 08-15-2013, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have that scene bookmarked on the Kaleidescape system. I plan to use it before movies, along with the Simpsons THX "Turn it Up!" clip. smile.gif
superleo likes this.

Mike Kobb
post #193 of 254 Old 08-16-2013, 12:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Tonight, for the first time, I hooked up the three Seaton SubMersive HPs, put the Classé in triple mono sub mode (how cool that it has that!), did a very rough level set, and played a few clips from various movies like The Incredibles, War of the Worlds, Prometheus and Lord of the Rings.

eek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gif

cool.gif

Holy smokes.

I did find a new rattle or two. Still nothing that will affect fabric, but I definitely plan to do tone sweeps this weekend to make sure that I identify and squash them. On the plus side, I only heard the rattles during the pink noise level setting. I didn't hear anything during the clips I played. But of course they may be frequency specific and just not excited by what I played.
superleo likes this.

Mike Kobb
post #194 of 254 Old 09-12-2013, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It's a tiny little update, but a momentous one. The fabric installation is underway! :-)

fabric.jpg

Mike Kobb
post #195 of 254 Old 09-12-2013, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Oh, what a lovely colour combo! Speaks of Rotel Michi to me. Wonderful!!!

Under construction: the Larch theater
post #196 of 254 Old 09-12-2013, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 41
That-Just-Looks-Great!

I love the reveal around the perimeter of the fabric, which ties into the reveal between the panels.

Simply excellent.

High Desert Theater - work in progress
Building Bass - Subs

Surrounds - Easy as Pi

Storage - unRAID unDELL

post #197 of 254 Old 09-12-2013, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post

That-Just-Looks-Great!

I love the reveal around the perimeter of the fabric, which ties into the reveal between the panels.

Simply excellent.
Thanks! That really turned out even better than I hoped.

Mike Kobb
post #198 of 254 Old 09-12-2013, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Looks great!

What is the fabric make/type? sorry if you've covered that elsewhere, I couldn't seem to find it.

Peter the Greek

Downunder Theatre MkII
Redefining snail pace construction
"what is worth knowing is difficult to learn"

post #199 of 254 Old 09-12-2013, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Beautiful !!!

Cheers,
post #200 of 254 Old 09-13-2013, 06:04 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Great build the bookshelves gave me an idea for my buid....nothing like yours but bug inspiration for functionality
post #201 of 254 Old 09-13-2013, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightlord View Post

Oh, what a lovely colour combo! Speaks of Rotel Michi to me. Wonderful!!!

Thanks! I haven't seen the Michi in person, but I think the fabric is a bit more warm/gold than the Michi is. It's very hard to get a good photo with a simple camera. I will have to bring in a "real" camera and a grey card to white balance properly.

Mike Kobb
post #202 of 254 Old 09-13-2013, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh, don't bother on my behalf, It's still lovely even if the colour temperature is shifted a fraction. smile.gif might be prettier than the Michi even.

post #203 of 254 Old 09-13-2013, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I do want to get some nice photos once everything is really done -- light fixtures up etc, so I will post those once they're done. I will probably get a pro to come shoot it.

Mike Kobb
post #204 of 254 Old 09-17-2013, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Howdy all,

I'll do better pictures shortly with better lighting and a better camera etc. Waiting for a few odds and ends are completed. But, this frame from my time lapse camera turned out so nicely that I thought I should just go ahead and share it. This shows the theater in "library/music" mode -- screen retracted. Suitable for 2-channel listening and giving access to the books. smile.gif

Mike Kobb
post #205 of 254 Old 09-17-2013, 09:30 AM

Liked: 12
Wow eek.gif, very nice - that wood plank stage is beautiful..

post #206 of 254 Old 09-17-2013, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

That's lovely in so many ways...

post #207 of 254 Old 09-17-2013, 02:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Does it feel any different to watch in the pit vs the back row ?
post #208 of 254 Old 09-17-2013, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Superb! looking forward to some more photos biggrin.gif

Peter the Greek

Downunder Theatre MkII
Redefining snail pace construction
"what is worth knowing is difficult to learn"

post #209 of 254 Old 09-17-2013, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFGuy View Post

Does it feel any different to watch in the pit vs the back row ?

Well, the image is obviously bigger if you sit in the front row, but I find the back row image size still very satisfying and comfortable to watch. One thing that is not set up yet is the Lumagen scaler, which will be used to take a 2.35:1 image and shift it to the bottom of the screen, so that the front row viewers don't have to look up at it. I think this will be nicer, although I've watched a couple of movies in the current configuration, and it's not bad at all as is. But my masking is designed for the image to be pinned to the bottom, so I need to get this done.

The other news, and I'll write more about this soon, is that Keith Yates and his team have performed the audio calibration of the room!! biggrin.gif:D Holy crap! It's pretty amazing. I've never heard a system with a subwoofer (much less seven!) that is so well integrated. Based on all of my prior experience, I was worried that the music experience would suffer, with bass that didn't feel like it was really coming from the main speakers. But that is not the case at all. And the level of detail evident in the music is remarkable.

I have to say, the Trinnov processor is pretty jaw dropping. Between the science of that processor and the art of the "sweetening" that Keith does as part of the calibration, the results are dramatic. I'm looking forward to doing more detailed listening. Unfortunately, I've had evening engagements both days since the calibration was completed, so I've not been able to sit and enjoy!

For those of you who don't know the Trinnov, one of the things that it does is to take measurements from each seating location, and then you assign a weight/priority to each of those locations, and supply it with a desired output response curve. It will calculate the necessary processing to try to deliver that curve at every seat, but giving priority to the higher-weighted locations.

I am very interested to try a configuration in which my seat is the only one factored in. In other words, this would be purely for solo listening. I would like to know whether such a configuration is noticeably different than my current 7-seat configuration, so I know how much (if any) compromise there is.

Mike Kobb
post #210 of 254 Old 09-17-2013, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elill View Post

Superb! looking forward to some more photos biggrin.gif

Thanks, me too! I have a few odds and ends to do, like getting the wall sconces up, the side masking system installed and tested, and then the masking/screen compartment covers installed and painted. Once that's done, I have a line on a top-notch professional photographer and I'm excited to get some really good shots done. In particular, I plan to ask him to shoot from the same locations as KYDG's renderings, so we can compare the final product to the concepts. I can tell you right now, it's pretty damned close! smile.gif

Mike Kobb
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page