post #241 of 266 Old 11-05-2013, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post

What's that component above your preamp and video processor? Looks like a typical PC motherboard, but what's with all the DB25 and XLR connectors?
That's the Trinnov MC audio processor. The DB25 connections are high density balanced audio connectors, like the type used by pro mixing consoles, or audio tools like Pro Tools. It has 8 balanced ins and 12 balanced outs in the configuration I purchased.

You use a "snake" cable that breaks out the DB25 on one end to the XLR connectors on the other.

So, coming from the Classé processor, I have 8 balanced XLR connections (7.1) that go to one DB25 on the Trinnov. Then on the output, I have 8 channels on one snake feeding the 7 main channels (on the Sunfire) plus one of the subwoofers, and three other subwoofer outputs are on the other snake. Although I have a 12th hardware output, I am not using it and I didn't purchase the license for that channel so it is not enabled.

Mike Kobb
(Formerly "ReplayMike". These opinions are mine alone, and in no way reflect the opinions of employers past or present!)
"Mike's Money Pit" Build Thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 266 Old 11-05-2013, 07:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Trinnov + DB25 == good excuse to get a Datasat smile.gif
post #243 of 266 Old 11-05-2013, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike View Post

Immediately above is just the garage door opener. The thing above that is a combined biometric (fingerprint) and RFID access control device. I haven't completed that piece of the integration yet, but it should be able to unlock either the access to the house or the access to the back of the rack. It's made by "ekey" -- it's European, but there's a US distributor.

I figured it was a fingerprint access but was not for sure.. That is really cool!

MY THEATER......The Thompson Theater 11.9 channels

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
post #244 of 266 Old 11-07-2013, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I hope so! The electronic locks have keypads too, which I've been using since the fingerprint reader isn't online yet. They're pretty convenient already -- I hope the print reader is fast enough to be an improvement. The RFID piece of it is even nicer, though. That allows me to give a token to (say) the housekeeper, which they can't easily duplicate, to which I can assign access parameters (like day of week, etc), and which I can revoke without having to re-key a lock...

Mike Kobb
(Formerly "ReplayMike". These opinions are mine alone, and in no way reflect the opinions of employers past or present!)
post #245 of 266 Old 11-07-2013, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Another question.... Do you have you av closet temperature controlled?

- Leon Phelps
post #246 of 266 Old 11-07-2013, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Really impressive all around, Mike. Every aspect is a thing of beauty right down to the wiring.
post #247 of 266 Old 11-07-2013, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes and no. There's no separate temperature control of the A/V closet, but they ventilate (via the two Middle Atlantic fan units at the top of the racks) into the kitchenette space. The kitchenette has it has its own, dedicated "mini-split" air conditioner. The theory is that the racks will draw cool air in from near the floor and exhaust warm air from the top. The mini-split will ensure that the room stays cool, so that there's always a supply of cool air for the racks to draw in. The MA fans are variable speed, and they run faster if the rack is warmer.

I specifically and deliberately chose components that don't throw off a lot of waste heat. All of the amplifiers are "class D" or similar designs, so there isn't just a ton of heat to shed. The largest heat sources also get shut down when I'm not using them (amps, processors, Kaleidescape, PS3, etc.)

What remains to be done at this point is to finish closing up the empty slots and other gaps in the rack so that the fans won't just pull air from a few spaces below them, but will pull them through the whole rack.

I considered putting the mini-split directly into the rack closet, but my understanding is that when the space is too small, the unit will tend to short-cycle and be unable to maintain a consistent temperature.

Mike Kobb
post #248 of 266 Old 11-07-2013, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just got home and checked out the mini-split, which is operating for the first time today. Holy crow, it's quiet!! I couldn't hear it over the other equipment in that room. The compressor is also a variable speed, soft-start model, so the outdoor unit is also very quiet. Good stuff. Will get a chance to try it out this weekend to verify how well the cooling strategy works during a full movie.

Mike Kobb
post #249 of 266 Old 11-09-2013, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Had a movie night this evening, and the new mini-split performed its task very well. The kitchenette and equipment racks stayed within normal temperatures during the movie, so I am very pleased. I think the rack cooling will improve further once I have the empty slots filled.

Mike Kobb
post #250 of 266 Old 11-13-2013, 07:19 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Just spent the time and read through the thread. Spectacular results! I must point out that one should expect nothing less with all the incredible detailed effort and design choices by you, KYDG, and the entire team involved. Congrats, you should be proud.

I'll keep an eye on your efforts moving forward.

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
------------------------------------
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #251 of 266 Old 11-13-2013, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thank you very much!

My big remaining project is to finish my customized screen masking solution. I've been struggling to find a block of time to work on it, even though I think I have nearly all of the parts on hand... Hopefully soon.

Mike Kobb
post #252 of 266 Old 11-17-2013, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Had some friends over last night to watch The Bourne Supremacy, which I had actually never seen. Damn, that was fun. :-) I can sort of do without the handheld shaky-cam look on 'Scope content, but I'm probably not going to win that argument. Anyway, the picture on the Blu-ray is very enjoyable, and the VPL-VW1000ES's "Film 1" mode handled the inverse 3:2 pulldown nicely. (I tend to run the Kaleidescape player at 60Hz rather than 24p, because the switch from 60 to 24 causes a lengthy handshake cycle between the player, the Lumagen, the Classé and the projector.)

Mike Kobb
post #253 of 266 Old 11-17-2013, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

That is a great movie! I can't stand shaky scenes either. I don't know why movie producers think that is a good idea??

- Leon Phelps
post #254 of 266 Old 06-11-2014, 02:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
I think that's the Trinnov. The Pro version is PC based.

post #255 of 266 Old 12-04-2014, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

#tbt

I thought it would be fun to do a little "Throw-back Thursday" posting, combined with a before-and-after. The first photo below was taken in June of 2011, during the excavation that allowed the creation of the lowered front row and stage, and that ultimately gave The Money Pit its name. The second photo was taken from roughly the same place, last night.

Mike Kobb
post #256 of 266 Old 12-04-2014, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Wow. Just wow. Beautiful.
post #257 of 266 Old 12-04-2014, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thank you!

Mike Kobb
post #258 of 266 Old 12-04-2014, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 94
An impressive theater well deserving a little "bump"...and the new photo is better than the previous ones I already had in my archive.
Thanks, but tell us: How much is the room used? Is there anything you would change?

post #259 of 266 Old 12-04-2014, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks, David! The room gets a fair amount of use. I schedule a movie night almost every week, unless I have other plans like concert tickets. Lately, I've also done a series of nights featuring concert films, which are especially enjoyable given how much effort went into the room's acoustic performance. What I haven't done as much of as I thought I would do is just sitting in the room and doing 2-channel listening. Honestly, I'm not really sure why. The 2-channel performance is fantastic, and when I have started listening, it has usually stretched on for hours.

There's not much I would do differently, but there are a few things.

I regret that we didn't manage to built a ventilation fan into the kitchenette to exhaust the small amount of smoke that the popcorn machine puts out. I end up shutting the door into the theater and opening the door into the garage while I'm popping, just to keep any smoke from getting into the room. This is my #1 desired improvement (well, that and fixing the ice maker in the little fridge...).

I have been frustrated by the amount of time that it takes for the projector to re-sync when going from the Kaleidescape player's 1080p/60 onscreen display to 1080p/24 movies. I initially planned to just run the projector at 1080p/60 all the time, but I found the judder from the 3:2 pulldown offensive, and the Sony's inverse telecine is very good, but not perfect. I've had some success improving the re-sync by using Lumagen's HDMI Extender, which leads me to think that part of the problem is the cable length to the projector. I'm thinking of trying a fiber optic HDMI cable to see if that could improve things even more.

The custom side masking system is still unfinished. This is a classic case of getting the theater into a condition where it was good enough to really enjoy movies, and losing all motivation to continue working. I do plan to work on this during the Christmas break this year, and I really want to wrap it up so we can put the access covers in place and truly call the room finished.

The room was designed before Dolby Atmos, so there are no ceiling speakers, and since the ceiling is treated, we can't bounce sound off of the ceiling. Honestly, I'm not sure that I care at this point.

Finally, a top of mind regret this week is that I wish we had designed the stretched fabric panels so that they were removable wherever there was a speaker behind them. One of my rear surrounds has developed a resonant buzz. I can gently press on the speaker's bezel through the stretched fabric, and the problem goes away, so I'm confident that it's an easy fix. Easy, except that the fabric will have to be taken down and then re-stretched there, which is a pain.

On the flip side, there are some things that really worked out well.

The Lutron light-blocking shades turned out better than I ever could have hoped. They are 100% effective. So much so that you absolutely cannot see anything in the room even at high noon when the shades are down. This has made it possible to enjoy afternoon movies and summer evening movies without any compromise in image quality.

I am also really glad that I had the idea to drop additional Lutron shades in front of the book shelves on either side of the screen. Once or twice, the RadioRA signal has not triggered one of those shades, and you really do see some reflection from the spines of the books. With the shades deployed normally, there's nothing to distract from the image on the screen.

The Ekornes seating is outstandingly comfortable. I am extremely pleased with it. I still need to find some small tables that we can use for drinks and popcorn, since they don't have cup holders, but otherwise they are superb.

The Sony projector is very very good. I don't think there's a better choice for the room. As much as I love the DLP look, the extreme quiet of the Sony is crucial to the success of the room, and no DLP on the market today is that quiet. Plus, of course, the Sony does a stellar job of converting 1080p to 4K, and the total lack of visible pixel structure on the screen is fantastic. If it didn't have the bright line across the grey field from the lamp power supply, it would be perfect. As it is, I do see that occasionally and it's annoying.

The Screen Research screen has also performed splendidly. The sound of the center channel through the woven screen is outstanding, and the Lutron motor in the masking curtain is accurate, quiet and fast. I do notice a small amount of moiré on that masking curtain if the scene is very dark. If I could replace the top masking curtain with a non-AT black velvet, I would probably do so. It doesn't come anywhere near the speakers so the AT material is not needed there.

The idea of using the Lumagen's image shift to move 2.35 content to the bottom of the screen so that I just had to mask the top has proven to work very bit as well as I had hoped. I'm delighted by the results there, and with a little effort I was able to get all the programming sorted out to automate it based on the aspect ratio triggers from the Kaleidescape player. With that super accurate Lutron motor in the masking curtain, the screen masking is absolutely dead on.

We put an obscene amount of time, effort and worry into making the HVAC systems in the room quiet. And it was worth every bit of it. The HVAC is absolutely, utterly silent. You can sit in the room with everything else off, and still not hear it at all. In fact, the room achieves an NC-14 noise rating with the projector and HVAC on. That's pretty spectacular. With projector and HVAC off, we manage an NC-8.

I'm so happy that we decided to do the radial pattern in the wood floor on the stage. It delights me every time I walk into the room, and it also draws rave compliments from visitors.

And, last but far from least, the overall acoustic design from Keith Yates has been very very successful. I get nothing but compliments on the sound of the room, especially when I give visitors a demo of music seated in the prime seat which is right at the sweet spot for the left and right speakers.
DavidK442 likes this.

Mike Kobb

Last edited by JustMike; 12-04-2014 at 10:49 PM.
post #260 of 266 Old 12-05-2014, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Thanks for the thorough response.
I hear ya' about 2-channel music listening. For the most part, just fond memories now.
Glad your HVAC makes you happy. Seems to be the number one complaint with most builds.
I like your idea of bringing 2.35 content down to the bottom of the screen. I do the same on my 2.0 ratio screen, except I make a very slight physical adjustment to the angle of my shelf mounted projector using a little stick.
JustMike likes this.

post #261 of 266 Old 12-05-2014, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My 1.78 screen is basically just a substitute for a 2.0 screen. I figured I would just get a 1.78 screen as wide as I wanted my 2.35 stuff to be, then I could reduce the size of 1.78/1.85 content as I would on a 2.0, but still have the option to fill the screen for IMAX-like stuff. The missing piece is the side masking system.

Mike Kobb
post #262 of 266 Old 12-05-2014, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike View Post
I LOVE the look of your room. The stage's radial pattern is an incredibly beautiful touch, but everything else is equally impressive. Absolutely beautiful.
post #263 of 266 Old 12-05-2014, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silva741 View Post
I LOVE the look of your room. The stage's radial pattern is an incredibly beautiful touch, but everything else is equally impressive. Absolutely beautiful.
Thank you so much, I really appreciate it.

Here's one other interesting tidbit, by the way. This is the rendering Keith Yates did for the room, back in April 2011. I'd say we nailed it pretty close!

Mike Kobb
post #264 of 266 Old 12-05-2014, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes you did! That is the closest I have ever seen between a render and actual finished room!

- Leon Phelps
post #265 of 266 Old 12-05-2014, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
^
+1. Quite an impressive job!

Regards, Chuck
Hold on tight to your dreams - ELO
post #266 of 266 Old Today, 04:59 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike View Post
Thank you so much, I really appreciate it.

Here's one other interesting tidbit, by the way. This is the rendering Keith Yates did for the room, back in April 2011. I'd say we nailed it pretty close!

Indeed, very close! The render clearly shows the amount of thought put into the room, even the chairs and speakers were modeled. It shows the modeler is good AND passionate about what he does. It seems a small detail but it does help a lot when making decisions. Great 3D work.

But BTW, please find time to listen to music. If the room sounds half as good as it looks, it must be a glorious experience.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page