I spent the last year or so restoring an old motorcycle
. The buyer came yesterday to pick it up and now I have a wad of cash that's telling me it's time to start the home theater. I have about 700sq. ft. of finished basement space in the house my wife and I bought last April. It includes a bedroom, bathroom, rec area, and the future theater room. Theater room dimensions are 15'x19'x8.5'. The previous owner had a wall-mounted TV and wiring run for 5.1 sound. I have bigger plans.
Screen dimensions are roughly 51"x120", 130" diagonal. 2.35 ratio with manual masking for 16:9. Other views of the theater room:
Looking in from the rec area:
I will have light to contend with:
The door off to the side leads to a combination storage area and furnace/water heater room.
Here's a lights-off no-flash picture. The windows face west and this was 7AM. There's no sun protection in the back yard so after 6PM the light gets more intense.
And the rec area, it's approximately 11'x21' with a sliding glass door to the patio outside:
- Mitsubishi HC6800
- Onkyo TX-SR608
- JBL ES250PBK
- JBL ES25CBK
- JBL ES90BK
- JBL ES20BK
(x1 for now because that's what budget allowed. Once I'm ready for 7.1 I'll probably pick up another pair of these)
- Mac Mini (2.0GHz C2D, 4GB, 320GB 7200rpm + external drives)
- LG Blu-Ray player
- Cyberpower 1500VA UPS
for PJ and computer
- EyeTV of some sort (Hybrid or HDHomeRun? I don't have cable or satellite, only OTA, I'd like to use the Mini as a DVR)
- IR extender of some sort
- DIY Melamine screen similar to this one
Planned room modifications:
- Soffits with recessed lighting and rope lights using this design
- Stage, similar to Ronnie's home theater
- A couple of columns per side
- Equipment cabinet built into the storage room with some sort of camouflaged access door
- Riser for second level of seating, again similar to what Ronnie
- Window treatments to reduce light bleed
- Stage 2 of the build will be doing a wet bar in the rec area, but the theater comes first.
A few questions:
1. Any recommendations on EyeTV product? I've seen plenty of posts in the HTPC section but I'm still confused as to what would best meet my needs
2. Is there any issue with putting my equipment in the same room as my furnace and water heater? Moisture?
3. Any suggestions on the best IR extender? I've seen the straight repeaters and the transmitter-in-battery solutions, I don't want to buy something and have it be terrible. I also have a spare 1st gen iPod Touch lying around that could be used as a remote.
4. If possible, I'd like to put my PJ up inside of the soffit to keep the install as clean as possible. Based on this calculator
, a screen gain of 1.2 and a throw of 17.5 feet should be doable without too much ambient light interfering. Is this unreasonable?
Looking forward to having this thing operational and awesome!