The Ragged Edge Theater - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 83 Old 05-22-2013, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Yes, that would be annoying, there must be an option to turn off those services, but still, I'm excited. Looks like they intend to have TV , Bluray player etc plug into the Xbox 1, then out into receiver, not sure if I want to do that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 83 Old 05-23-2013, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

Today I was fortunate enough to be visited by none other than the illustrious BIGmouthinDC. Spent about an hour reviewing just about everything for the theater. It was invaluable to be able to run my ideas past someone with so much experience building theaters. Got some great tips and ideas, especially on how to fit more people. Big, thanks again for taking to help out.
post #63 of 83 Old 05-25-2013, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Managed to get all the wires and conduit run today. Put in extra runs for front wide and height speakers if I ever decide to use them. Had some help from a friend which definitely made things go faster. So at this stage, before drywall, I still have to cut holes in the 8" concrete wall to run the flex duct for the fan. Not going to be easy! I also ran 2 sub wires to the rear, as well as 1 on each side, so I'll have some flexibility in placing the subs. So that's 13 speaker runs and 4 sub runs of wire. Needless to say I ran out of wire. Need another 125' for the LCR speakers and 2 subs.

Here's the room as it stands now, almost ready for drywall! Those sticks push up the insulation so it's easy to slide the boxes in.

What's that saying, work smarter not harder, but don't go too fast in the corners, ha!
post #64 of 83 Old 05-25-2013, 10:11 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
lots of sub runs. are you doing any runs for buttkickers in your seats? I ran 9.2 (can't do wides in my room) and am running another 2 runs just for 4 Aura bass shakers. I have no experience with them, but have 50' of 14/4 lying around. First task tomorrow morning.

can't wait to see the end product. It should be awesome!

and lucky you to have BIG stop by! I can't even get materials locally, let alone expertise.
post #65 of 83 Old 05-26-2013, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter

No, no butt kickers kickers planned, but if I do I'll have the runs already. I likely will only use the front heights, not the wides as the room is only 13 wide. My friend has 2 subs up front, 2 side and 1 rear and walking around the room the bass is intense at all seats, hence my copy cat to make so many runs. I'm planning to try and get the ceiling OSB/drywall done tomorrow, we'll see.

Tested the Panasonic whisper quiet fan. I'll be putting an attic fan thermostat inside the equipment closet, a return will be inside the closet as well as one in the room.

Also tested the HDMI over network cable wall plates I bought at Monoprice. Works great! Picture look just fine, no degradation and the IR extenders work too. Just need to push the buttons on the remote a hair longer as compared to using the cable box.

Yes, I lucked out being able to have BIG stop by on his way home. Was very very helpful.

Anybody have experience with the Lutron spacer system. I have 2 zones and plan to only need 3 scenes in addition to full off/on and I'm not sure I can do that with the spacer system. I have to admit I didn't put a lot of thought into the lighting, something I hope won't come back to bite me.
post #66 of 83 Old 07-06-2013, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

So, I've been making slow progress. The first layer is up, except for where I have to core a 4" hole to run the exhaust duck from the rack outside. Got rid of the height speakers, just keeping the wide. It didn't make sence to have heights, I would have to decrease the width of the screen by 16" or mount them 15" below the top of the screen and under the soffits. Neither option was acceptable. I'm fine with just the wides. Had a couple issues, had to move outlets and move the location for the power bridge. Wasn't easy, but got it done.

This wasn't easy to get the tube connected, but once it's connected, it's very secure.

This where all the wires come through the concrete wall and where I have to core the 4" hole.

Front of room

Back of room
post #67 of 83 Old 09-06-2013, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

So, I've been making some progress. Got all the wiring done, and drywall is hung. Starting to install the outlets now and waiting on the crew to do the mudding and sanding next Tuesday. I took this entire week off and planned to do the mudding and sanding myself, but I'm spent. Well worth the money for someone else to do it.

I have a 1.5 pails of GG and the speed loader if anyone near 20723 wants them. Here are some progress pics.

Now that's drill!! Cutting the hole was pretty straightforward, just holding the drill level and pushing forward at the same time tires you out pretty quickly.

Yep, that's a hole.

End result. Duct is to exhaust hot air from the equipment rack. Runs another 20' behind the wall to a panasonic bathroom fan at the other end.

Here's a tip. Replace the little tabs on the the remodel box with 1/8"x3" toggle bolt. Works like a charm to attach the box to double 5/8" drywall as the standard screws aren't long enough.

Front

Back
post #68 of 83 Old 09-14-2013, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mudding and taping done. Just some light sanding and I'm over the hump!

post #69 of 83 Old 03-28-2014, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter

Well, been awhile since any updates, but I've been pushing on with the work and carpet is being installed today. Still plenty work to be done but it's coming along nicely.

post #70 of 83 Old 03-28-2014, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Carpet is in. Looks fantastic and they did an awesome job. Couldn't be happier. Haven't made final paint selection yet, but leaning towards this. It looks a little darker than the picture shows.

post #71 of 83 Old 04-26-2014, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Been making some good process. Moved the rack in and setup the equipment and got the chairs in and hung the surround speakers. Painted too, but need a little touch up here and there. Olympic had the color I wanted, a dark grey/brown, more towards Grey than the picture shows, but their paint is poor quality. 3 coats needed even after 2 coats of primer. The pictures look more brown than paint and carpet color really is.

Had to flip the banana connectors around to make the brackets work.

That's me on the left, my good buddy stopped by to help.

ellisr63 likes this.
post #72 of 83 Old 04-26-2014, 04:24 PM
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Nice work. I'm digging the light coming out from underneath the baseboard. What kind of lights did you use and do you have any construction pictures of how you put it all together?
post #73 of 83 Old 04-29-2014, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post

Nice work. I'm digging the light coming out from underneath the baseboard. What kind of lights did you use and do you have any construction pictures of how you put it all together?

Thanks! I used these lights. i have about 45 LF installed.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005GL5UG2/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and this transformer. It's 60 watts and 2.2"L x 0.75"H x 1.25"W so it fits in the back of the electrical box. I wanted to hardwire the lights so it has a finished look. If the lights were up in a crown molding I would have used an outlet, but under the baseboard doesn't have enough space.
http://www.lightology.com/index.php?module=prod_detail&prod_id=53504

and these connectors.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A7M1PYG/ref=oh_details_o08_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and this wire to run past the door openings.You only need two wires, so just separate the wires.
http://www.amazon.com/JACKYLED-Extension-Cable-Color-Strip/dp/B009VD3EW8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1398823829&sr=8-4&keywords=led+wire

I didn't take construction pics, but, it's pretty straightforward. You put the switch in between the 110v source and the transformer, then connect the transformer to the LED rope lights using one of the connectors. I just cut one end off and connected the wires.

For the base, just install the base 1 inch above the carpet. The lights come with one side sticky, so just stick it to the underside of the base, then cover with 1" shoe molding, leaving 3/8" gap for the lights to shine through. I have some left over pieces I can take pics of to show you.
post #74 of 83 Old 04-30-2014, 05:29 AM
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 276
post #75 of 83 Old 04-30-2014, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragged View Post

Those seats look pretty nice and comfortable. What model are they?

Also, for those lights you used under the base, are you dimming them? Any issues with them not dimming completely?

Visit the Lipszyc Home Theater! 1.0
2.0 done and finally posted! - Theater 2.0

And now...The Queen City Theater (3.0)
post #76 of 83 Old 05-01-2014, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipszyc View Post

Those seats look pretty nice and comfortable. What model are they?

Also, for those lights you used under the base, are you dimming them? Any issues with them not dimming completely?

Thanks! The seats are comfortable. They are the Lane 175 grand slam. I'll have the lights on a dimmer, but probably will be running them full bright. The gap I left for the lights lets just the right amount through when the lights are off. They dim just fine too, the LED lights give off a nice light, not too white, not too yellow. I'm really happy with them.
post #77 of 83 Old 05-23-2014, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

With all the recent rains we've had in MD, my basement sprung a few leaks through some existing cracks. Nothing major and didn't affect the HT, but something that had to get fixed. Luckily it's something I can deal with using a chemical waterproofing foam. Drill holes at an angle every 6" that cross through the middle of the crack. These are to insert injection ports. Pump water through the ports into the cracks, then pump the foam into the cracks using a drill pump until it seeps out. The water helps pull the foam into the cracks also activates the foam which expands sealing the crack. It's a messy process but it works. Knock off the ports and fill the holes with hydraulic cement and you're done!

post #78 of 83 Old 05-23-2014, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Also, I finally ordered a screen. Went with a 109" with 16:9 from Falcon screens. All set for delivery and install next Saturday!

Thanks to Bigmouthindc and Rich from Falcon for the help.
post #79 of 83 Old 05-23-2014, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

Also, I finally ordered a screen. Went with a 109" with 16:9 from Falcon screens. All set for delivery and install next Saturday!

Thanks to Bigmouthindc and Rich from Falcon for the help.

Excellent choice - I have been enjoying my falcon screen for a few weeks - great quality and price

JJ
post #80 of 83 Old 05-31-2014, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Whooohooooooo. Screen was installed today. Rich did a great job and the picture looks fantastic! Just some blurry cell pics for now. I'll get proper ones once I build the side panels. To get to this point with such an absolutely fantastic result after so many years,I almost shed a tear:-). Even my wife was sufficiently impressed that she said all the weekends over the past couple years was worth it.

post #81 of 83 Old 05-31-2014, 08:00 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:

Whooohooooooo. Screen was installed today. Rich did a great job and the picture looks fantastic! Just some blurry cell pics for now. I'll get proper ones once I build the side panels. To get to this point with such an absolutely fantastic result after so many years,I almost shed a tear:-). Even my wife was sufficiently impressed that she said all the weekends over the past couple years was worth it.

Congrats. The anticipation was well worth it!!!!
post #82 of 83 Old 06-02-2014, 03:48 PM
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:

Great Job on the Theater you picked a perfect size screen and it fills the room perfectly. Be careful now you got the projector hung typcally all work stops LOL!!!

looking forwarded to more pics
post #83 of 83 Old 07-02-2014, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragged View Post
...Even my wife was sufficiently impressed that she said all the weekends over the past couple years was worth it.
Dude,

This type of validation is priceless and is just as big a victory as the progress you've made thus far! You're in the final stretch, now!
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page