The "Bedford Theater" build - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 27 Old 08-17-2011, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I found this forum when i bought my first LCD about 4 years ago. I've been lurking ever since. When I bought my first home 2 years ago, i wanted a room where i could put a dedicated theater. Unfortunatly the home i ended up purchasing is over 90 years old and didn't have an ideal space. I gave up on the theater idea immediatly.

That was until i started lurking around in the dedicated theater and construction thread again. I became inspired by how everyone has overcome many obstacles in building their theaters.

I will have several as well as you can see by the pictures. My biggest obstacle will most likely be the budget as i put most of the savings into the house, wedding, and honeymoon. Most of the budget will get eaten up by the projector (thinking i'll probably get the new panasonic ae7000u). I already have speakers, receiver, ps3, xbox, power center, etc.

I am definately open to ideas since this is the first time i'm constructing anything of this scale. At this point i want to leave the walls, carpet, and windows intact so long as i can get the electrical run appropriately.

The room is 10.5' x 22' (after the wall gets taken out). The ceiling is 8'6". As you can see in the pics below their is a beam in the middle of the room. I plan to build a soffit up around the top to match the height of the beam. I have two radiators in the room to contend with. The small window will get pluged. The large window will be covered with some velvet typed drapes.

Here are some pics of the room as it is now:

Here are some of my sketchup designs for the theater. I will be doing a seymour AT 2.35 screen that will be about 128" diagonal (100" 16x9).

I'm not sure where to put the equipment at this point. 3 out of 4 walls are outside walls and the last wall has no place to build out a closet into another room.

So let me know what you guys think of the design and any ideas you might have. I will be doing some demo and moving some other things out of the room this weekend and starting construction on the stage

My Theater build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

xbox360 gamertag: MASTERpTWINKIE
PS3: zaczimer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 08-17-2011, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Originally i was going to go with a 16x9 screen that would be 107". This design has the two columns on both sides matching the width of the soffit. However once i realized i could get almost the same size 16x9 screen (100") within the scoped screen, i figured the 2.35 scope would be better. I'm interested in purchasing the new panasonic ae7000 due to the memory zoom setting.
I also think the 2.35 scoped screen seems more applicable for a theater. My wife made the point that it is 1st and foremost a movie theater and we could watch tv on the 58" pany plasma.

Here is what it would look like with a 16x9 screen.

My Theater build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 27 Old 08-17-2011, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp360 View Post

My wife made the point that it is 1st and foremost a movie theater and we could watch tv on the 58" pany plasma.

Your wife is very wise.

You could also do a coffered ceiling around that beam? (not sure where it is exactly, if that would work out)

|
|
|
|
| Xbox Live: Atomic Hamper
post #4 of 27 Old 08-17-2011, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

The beam is slightly off center in the ceiling. It is the two lines you see running between the soffit. It is 6" wide.

My Theater build

post #5 of 27 Old 08-21-2011, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

I worked on the front stage this weekend. I used 2x6s for the stage and 2x4s for the arc in front. In hindsight I should have used 2x8s for the stage to create more of a step. Since i'm doing my theater on the second floor, i didn't use sand. I stuffed the stage with insulation and used the roofing felt between two 3/4" pieces of particle board/plywood. You'll notice on the arc i used the particle board as the top layer. I only did this because i put a flat spot on one of the arcs using my jigsaw. Overall, i'm happy with it and it sounds pretty dead. More than i expected at least. I will carpet the stage and use subdudes for my speakers so i'm not too worried about the sound/vibrations. Check out some pics.

Next week i'll start tackling the back of the room. I still need to take out a closet back there and move a bunch of bookshelfs. Then i can start working on the riser.

My Theater build

post #6 of 27 Old 08-22-2011, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Did you decide on equipment placement yet? if you have no other choice, you could put it behind your false wall on bottom or either side. Then maybe cover that part of the wall with a velvet/cabinet to din the lights so they are not a distraction.

post #7 of 27 Old 08-22-2011, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
But outside or in the back would be the better solution if at all possible.

post #8 of 27 Old 08-22-2011, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

I still haven't decided on a spot for the equipment. The closet/false wall needs to come out entirely so i can put the riser in. The equipment will probably go into one of the back corners and will be hidden as best as possible. Maybe i can disguise it in a "column" and build a fake one on the other side for symetry. The only adjoining room it could go into is a bathroom. The humidity/condonsation makes this sound like a bad choice. The other adjoining space has stairs coming up from the outside so that won't work.

Anybody with other ideas, i'm open.

My Theater build

post #9 of 27 Old 10-08-2011, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, it has been awhile since i posted any updates since September was a very busy month. I got back to work on the theater the past couple weekends. I removed all the drywall and studs in the office. Framed and built the riser. I framed the soffit for the back half of the room. Here are some pics...

My Theater build

post #10 of 27 Old 10-08-2011, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Nice!

How are you going to finish the soffit? Drywall?

post #11 of 27 Old 10-08-2011, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

Right now i'm struggling on where to put my rear speakers. I have a set of polk dipole/bipole speakers i have been running in my living room. These speakers are larger and make placement difficult. The ceilings are 8', the soffit comes down 10", and a speaker below that will have to be ducked under as you step up on the riser. So, if i run with these speakers, i'd have to place them behind the window in the back which is probably 8' from the first row. I am considering some in wall speakers from monoprice but placement is still difficult because of layout of the room. I also have four klipsch satallite speakers i could also run with. I'll have to figure out the layout by this weekend because i want to get the speaker wire in and drywall the soffit.

I know its hard to see the placement challanges of the room from the pics, but i'd appreciate any feedback.

My Theater build

post #12 of 27 Old 10-08-2011, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdanforth View Post

Nice!

How are you going to finish the soffit? Drywall?

I'll do drywall. Like everything i've done so far, drywalling will be a first for me. Hopefully it won't be too difficult.

My Theater build

post #13 of 27 Old 11-08-2011, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Had some help this past weekend and got the soffits and stage area drywalled. Now to clean up the mess.

Still have to get another coat of mud on. Then i'll paint the soffits and hang up the crown molding/ropelights. Yesterday i learned that if you sand the mud above your head without any eye protection, you'll wake up at 3:00 in the morning with bloodshot eyes! Fun stuff.

All in all, the project is moving along. With the majority of the drywall work done, i'll be on to carpet and paint next

My Theater build

post #14 of 27 Old 11-08-2011, 04:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp360 View Post

I found this forum when i bought my first LCD about 4 years ago. I've been lurking ever since. When I bought my first home 2 years ago, i wanted a room where i could put a dedicated theater. Unfortunatly the home i ended up purchasing is over 90 years old and didn't have an ideal space. I gave up on the theater idea immediatly.

That was until i started lurking around in the dedicated theater and construction thread again. I became inspired by how everyone has overcome many obstacles in building their theaters.

I will have several as well as you can see by the pictures. My biggest obstacle will most likely be the budget as i put most of the savings into the house, wedding, and honeymoon. Most of the budget will get eaten up by the projector (thinking i'll probably get the new panasonic ae7000u). I already have speakers, receiver, ps3, xbox, power center, etc.

I am definately open to ideas since this is the first time i'm constructing anything of this scale. At this point i want to leave the walls, carpet, and windows intact so long as i can get the electrical run appropriately.

The room is 10.5' x 22' (after the wall gets taken out). The ceiling is 8'6". As you can see in the pics below their is a beam in the middle of the room. I plan to build a soffit up around the top to match the height of the beam. I have two radiators in the room to contend with. The small window will get pluged. The large window will be covered with some velvet typed drapes.

Here are some pics of the room as it is now:

Here are some of my sketchup designs for the theater. I will be doing a seymour AT 2.35 screen that will be about 128" diagonal (100" 16x9).

I'm not sure where to put the equipment at this point. 3 out of 4 walls are outside walls and the last wall has no place to build out a closet into another room.

So let me know what you guys think of the design and any ideas you might have. I will be doing some demo and moving some other things out of the room this weekend and starting construction on the stage

Is this in Bedford Indiana? I really like all of the detailed moldings and the door casings are really nice.
post #15 of 27 Old 11-09-2011, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

I have a quick question. I have a blue rope light that will be mounted in my crown molding. I have a gallan of flat black paint i was going to use on the ceiling. Will the black ceiling heavily detract from the glow of the rope light?

My Theater build

post #16 of 27 Old 11-09-2011, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

I'm in bedford park illinois. The challenge in building this home theater is the space i have to work with. I'm on a typical chicago sized city lot. The unfinished basement was out of the question because some of the radiator pipes run as low as 6.5' throughout the basement. Not to mention it seeps when we get heavy downpours. Thus the location of the theater in the downstairs spare bedroom/office area made the most sense. I'm a young guy and this is my first home. I'm learning alot doing this theater so down the road i can really build my dream setup!

My Theater build

post #17 of 27 Old 11-10-2011, 04:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 63
The radiators makes me wonder if they could be eliminated and easily be converted into radiant heating in the floor?

You might want to reconsider the drywall up front that frames the screen area. The front wall should be a minimally framed wall with acoustically transparent fabric. pm sent.

Your renders show the center channel behind the screen but what is the opening in the soffit for?
post #18 of 27 Old 11-10-2011, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post

The radiators makes me wonder if they could be eliminated and easily be converted into radiant heating in the floor?

You might want to reconsider the drywall up front that frames the screen area. The front wall should be a minimally framed wall with acoustically transparent fabric. pm sent.

Your renders show the center channel behind the screen but what is the opening in the soffit for?

I ended up going with a non at screen (119" 16x9 Draper Onyx). LOL, completely different than what i planned in beginning (AT 2.35). However i got a deal on the screen and it will just fit in the opening that you see on the front wall. The opening in the soffit is for a center. I don't actually know if i'll have one hooked up or just run with a "phantom center". I'll have to play around and see what I like the most.

The radiator in front will eventually go. I don't need it. So will the three sliding doors that you see. I'll probably put a pocket door in. However that will probably be when i get to stage 2 of the project. Right now i'm just looking to finish up the drywall, paint, and carpet and be done for awhile. My actual work is slow now, but gets a lot busier in January so i'd like to finish some of this project and enjoy the room for a month while I can.

My Theater build

post #19 of 27 Old 11-28-2011, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

My goal for this project was to complete it by Thanksgiving. My Dad was coming into town for the holidays and i thought it would be nice to get it done so we could have a couple movie nights and watch our beloved Chicago Blackhawks and Chicago Bears. I finished 5 minutes before he got to my house from South Dakota on Thanksgiving morning!

The project turned out better than I expected. Everyone is loving the room. Here is a bunch of pics....

Me in front of the screen, i'm 6'5" for reference.

Another one of me from the back

Panorama shot from the back

Panorama from the front

Shot from the Back

A shot with the lights dimmed down, sorry about the blur, i didn't pause the tv. Bonus points if you know the show anyways ;-)

Only other non day time shot i have.

IMG]http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m603/peterschuch/P1010914.jpg[/IMG]

Some of the detailed stuff... Put down carpet tile and made some custom curtains with fabric from JoAnns...

[IMG]http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m603/peterschuch/P1000001.jpg[/IMG

I pic of the Crown that has the rope lighting in it. I bought 5" casings and flipped them upside down and stapled the crown to the top half inch. It held very securely with no blocks or anything need behind it. I used the clips for the rope light and attached that directly to the soffit. I still need to do a little touch up on the paint on the ceiling.

I have a 7.1 set up. Speaker placement was limmited, especially on the side of the room with the big three sliding doors, so that limited what i could use in the room. I've been using these little klipsch quintet III speakers in my front room and a second kitchen zone. I decided to bring them into the theater due to there flexible mounting positions and smaller size. I have to say, they sound great so far!

Couple shots of the equipment rack. Middle Atlantic ERK 3520. This thing was a pain in the rear. I had a couple middle atlantic shelves and a couple from oddysey (i think that is right). The hole patterns didn't line up with the rack rails! I had to file of about an 1/8th inch from two out of the four mounting holes on each shelf. Being under a deadline to finish the project, sitting there filing holes to make them bigger for 2 hours wasn't fun. Rack turned out nice though :-)

From the back

And the front

Step lights from menards, covers spray painted flat black.

A pic from openening night on Wednesday. The little ones (not mine) loved Cars 2. Wife and dog in the pic as well.

My Theater build

post #20 of 27 Old 11-28-2011, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

Football on 119" = sweetness

Rango

My Theater build

post #21 of 27 Old 11-28-2011, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Wow nice progress for 3 months. I'll be well over a year by the time mine is finished.

post #22 of 27 Old 11-28-2011, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

My equipment is modest compared to most on the forums here, but it is definately getting the job done for me.

Projector Sony HW30AES
Screen Draper Onyx m1300 119" 16x9
Speakers Polk RT 800i front and left, polk Csi 400 center, klipsch quintet surrounds
Subwoofer Definitive SuperCube I
Receiver Pioneer 1020k
BluRay Sony PS3
Power center Monster HDP 2500
Hd DVD Toshiba HD A30
Direct TV Whole house DVR
Remote Logitech 1100 w/rf adapter
Cables Monoprice in wall 12 guage speaker cable, monoprice hdmi cables

My Theater build

post #23 of 27 Old 11-28-2011, 03:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Theater looks great. It is really good when you have a goal and motivation to reach them! Way to stick with it. Now you get to enjoy the fruits of your labor...until the upgrade bug gets you. You have been warned!
post #24 of 27 Old 11-29-2011, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by btinindy View Post

Theater looks great. It is really good when you have a goal and motivation to reach them! Way to stick with it. Now you get to enjoy the fruits of your labor...until the upgrade bug gets you. You have been warned!

The upgrade bug already bit! I never really saw an advantage to getting a product like the lumagen until i started watching direct tv on 119" vs. 58". Don't get me wrong, the picture still looks good, but it is night and day compared to blu rays. I'd like to add this into my setup and upgrade the speakers.

Edit since when i first hooked up my equipment i didn't realize that the cable box resolution was set to 480p, Direct TV looks much beter at 1080 but is still no where near the bluray quality.

My Theater build

post #25 of 27 Old 11-29-2011, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

One thing i'm having some problems with in my theater is with my logitech harmony 1100. I'm using the rf adapter with it and it is slowwwww. For example, if i'm in the guide for direct tv, i enter a number, say 300, it probably takes a couple seconds for it complete on screen. Also, when i press channel up or down, sometimes it goes two spaces in the guide. It is worse on the ps3. From the xmb, if i press left, it wants to go all the way to the left.

I haven't messed with the ps3 settings yet, but i did go into the harmony software and try to speed up and slow down the response to no luck. I was just wondering if slow reaction speed is part of this device or if further tweaking will make it better.

FYI, i am using the IR leads that plug into the back of the rf adapter since there didn't seem to be a good place to mount the rf adapter itself. Any ideas/comments?

My Theater build

post #26 of 27 Old 11-30-2011, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

From the victoria secret show last night.

Theater entrance/ Lurton Maestro IR dimmers

Sony HW30

Approximate 1st row seating

Rope Lighting

My Theater build

post #27 of 27 Old 12-03-2011, 01:54 PM

Liked: 11
Nice job.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page