My "Messy Home Theater" started - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 08-18-2011, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was afraid to post because I don't know when my HT would be finish since I only have 30min to 1 hour a day even on weekend to work on it. Yup thanks for my 2 years old boy and 6 months old daughter.

Last year looking to buy the house

Move in in September. My wife was planning to decorate the living room with crystals and what do you know my son toys occupy every thing. The house only look clean every week for 1 hour lol

We have 60" inch Sharp, Klipsch RF82 x 4 and RC 35 for centre and denon AVR, 2 12" velodyne and 4 aura bass shaker under the sofa. so far good enough for movies

Basement for buddy come over to play racing car. Bought the projector and screen and have plan to build a HT someday.

However we tend to play Carom and 8 balls more, so I decided to put both down in the basement. and move my game stuff in the small room. Now my wife is pregnant with the daughter everything in the basement collecting dust

I kept reading and watching people building HT on here almost everyday at work. and keep debating myself whether I should start or not. Since I know this would be a one man show for me since all my friends has little kids as well and they are only as good as holding a beer bottle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 08-18-2011, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

Since I have never done any renovation before in my life I try to test out my skill first by building the front garden. Took me 5 months to lay out the stones and 1 month to plant the trees.

At the same time I building my son room with G scale thomas the train engine ceiling mount. This turn out not bad at all in my opinion and my son play with it every night by asking me to running around with him lol

I sent an email to my high school teacher (retired) just to see how he is doing and he mentioned about building his home theater and this is what he sent me lol wow. I was so inspire and my gut tell me I need to build something

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=e82e9...!213&sc=photos
post #3 of 17 Old 08-18-2011, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

The brother in law came over for indy over july long weekend and brought me emotiva xpa-5 and denon 4308 ci. Then I pick up 4 polk audio rti a5 and csi a6 on sale for $1000 since the wife doesn't want me to spend too much money on the basement

since I am not good with drawing software I start with the old style. pencil and paper

post #4 of 17 Old 08-18-2011, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

The room size is 14 x 16 and with a closet in the way since I bought this house with the basement already finish and this is an extra basement bedroom. I knock it downs and painted the room black and red to see how it go.

with the help of a buddy (only holding lol) I manage to put up the ceiling and side support 2x3 wood. I decide not to knock down the dry wall and sound proof since it would be too much work for me and noise is not a problem with my wife.

to be continue..........
post #5 of 17 Old 08-18-2011, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

last weekend i manage to put up some pot light. will need to pull 3 wire in 1 15amp for lights, 2 x 20amp for av

I plan to hide the speakers. The centre would be at the top and will build a low stage with columns to hide the front and sub. Still debating weather I would hide the speakers or not.

I was thinking of building a box for the projector then decide not to what do you guy think ?. I planed to cut the wood up at the ceiling mount but I change my mind again since I need to run some electrical to go across.

That's all i am at right now. This morning I decided to learn google sketch. This is what I come up with.

basically 1 row of recline I use my love seat will buy 3 or 4 berkline when I get approval from the wife. need to plan electrical outlet for power recline. The back would be 1 feet bar style across the room with swing up access ? to the back. with this I would need to have a little step riser in the back to run electrical for the future chairs ?. The problem is that my soffit head room is about 6'2". May be I can use 2x4 for the riser and still have 5'10" head room ? ok we are short only 5'4". but the in law can be 6' lol but they only come over from michigan once a year. Or no riser at all and only have 1 swing up access on the door entrance side so I can run the electrical wire down to the bar table on one side.

post #6 of 17 Old 08-18-2011, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

forgot to mention about acoustic treatment. I have already have these poster clothes on order 27x41 http://www.spoonflower.com/fabric/714436 10 of them. will also treat the 4 corner.

will pick up these OFI 48 http://www.glasscellisofab.com/sheet...s/OFI%2048.pdf . Since I am in Canada and this is the equivalence of oc 73
post #7 of 17 Old 08-19-2011, 06:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
T, you have a beautiful home. What size is your screen? Depending on that the room may be a bit short for a bar in the back as well. I have about 17 feet and wanted to do a bar too but, with two rows of seating and a 10+ foot screen it seemed too tight for that.

What is the name and maker of the red paint on the walls? I would like to find a red that complements the reddish/burgundy color of my seating. Does it look like that in person or is it the camera?

Dale
post #8 of 17 Old 08-19-2011, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter

the room is 16 feet by 14 feet. I only plan one row of seat and the 1 feet in depth table bar. I only painted one coat it is dark cherry red from lowes will get you the color code. will need apply a second coat latter. the screen size is 106". the front row would be at 11 feet. the bar take 1 feet but has leg room so only about 5 inches behide the first row. therefore I have around 5 feet from the back wall to the bar table.
post #9 of 17 Old 08-19-2011, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter

I manage to put 4 columns made up of 2x4 and wall sconces at the back. now the pot lights at the back are in front of the back sconces. I was wondered should I move them to the sides.

I also roll in my server rack to see how it look. it is about 4" longer than the av location. maybe will put some bass trap there to fill the gap. this can be done later.

this weekend I will try to build the front stage and tidy up the electrical wires. will have speakers wire install sometime in september since i bought lots of stuff from monoprice and send them to michigan. the brother in law will take them over for me. Meanwhile I can build the frame for the ac treatment. those cloths posters should be here today wow they are very fast I ordered them on monday.

post #10 of 17 Old 08-22-2011, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter

Suggestion about the window please. Should I dry wall it or make a mdf swing door ? only 2/3 of the window left below the soffit
post #11 of 17 Old 08-23-2011, 05:12 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks David

I will do just that. Silly me didn't think of it
post #12 of 17 Old 08-24-2011, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter

Done clean up the mess at the projector location.

Front stage. the wife said let keep the carpet therefore I build the 2x6 at 14feetx2feet and extend the 2x4 to cover the carpet hole I cut out since there was a closet there. So I will only need to buy some black carpet for the stage. Still debating for curve stage or not . Is it hard to install carpet for curve ? never done it before.

Are pressure treated wood a little wet ? mine are even though lowes has them inside. My basement is very dry but since I put the wood directly on concrete floor many suggest PT wood

the door will be open out instead.

Done will all electrical for lights. 8 potlight 3 each sides and 2 front. 4 sconces at back maybe two more for front columns when I am done with the stage. Will update with dimmer and all led lights. First switch is the centre ceiling (existing) don't know what to do with it yet. Second all potlights, Third all wall sconces. 4th robe lights. Think about 3 way switch for the bar near the back of the reclines but the wife say don't be too lazy get up and turn off the light

post #13 of 17 Old 08-24-2011, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter

now the hard part buy the sand and carry them down to the basement
post #14 of 17 Old 09-15-2011, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter

stage done, bar also up need to put wheels on it. next step would be dry wall the soffit.

Anyone use the monoprice Kelvar 8" in wall ? I am thinking of buying two pairs and put them in the columns.

post #15 of 17 Old 09-15-2011, 07:15 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I hear you on not having much time to work having kids, still haven't done much to start mine. Looks good so far, you moving right along.
post #16 of 17 Old 09-15-2011, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Looks like you are moving quickly for only having an hour a day to work o it. Looking good.
post #17 of 17 Old 10-24-2011, 12:45 PM

Liked: 11
Nice job! I am building a bar also in the back, any chance you could take a picture of your 2x4 framing or is it already enclosed?
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page