The MacBeth Theater (flood resilient build) - Page 7 - AVS Forum
First ... 5  6  7 8  9  ... Last
Dedicated Theater Design & Construction > The MacBeth Theater (flood resilient build)
design1stcode2nd's Avatar design1stcode2nd 05:15 PM 02-27-2013
Some basic testing mostly to find rattles in the rack area. I'll be fine tuning it once the carpet is in. Hoping I can find the mic that came with my receiver so I can run Correction.

design1stcode2nd's Avatar design1stcode2nd 08:39 AM 02-28-2013
I hadn’t planned on it but I ended up watching Thor late last night, man what an LFE fest that thing is. I know I’ve seen it before but it must have been before I got the HSU 15H. I definitely need to do more tuning on the sub and tighten things down in the rack. I’ll be running this movie a number of times to locate rattles and vibrations.
design1stcode2nd's Avatar design1stcode2nd 07:20 AM 03-01-2013
I got the rest of my trim up, I would have really like to have done crown molding but with the need to have the windows accessible, the rack door would have hit it and the soffit not being wide enough on the right side it wasn’t an option. So what I went with is just the same base I used around the rest of the room. I also wanted the panels to still be removable so the side pieces are affixed to the columns with Velcro instead of nails. Pictures below on the process:
1F2DBE70-60E9-4EF4-9D24-F6D0DFDAFE6A-259-000000189CA17F91_zps6469ac27.jpg

One inch indentation
B5A9155C-E07B-486A-885E-5B3F4E2BF6DB-259-0000001894A2F5D1_zps020a888f.jpg

AE61FBF2-B391-4055-B603-CA30C73215E1-259-000000188E28D37D_zps60a7d75b.jpg

And installed
ED0A2008-0A8D-4F90-B5AD-D98BE1FCC9EE-259-00000018880E7BA8_zps3f3dce06.jpg
FC85170F-BCDE-4B5E-BCA5-C2C9789F5146-259-0000001882817C71_zps49ac6f8b.jpg

The light output on my step lights is pretty high, here it is with the louvered plate off
D03A99D9-7BF2-4D41-BA63-CC6DD1A30095-259-000000187C427CC8_zps3546ea62.jpg

The plates are being painted black now and I’ll have the red gels installed sometime next week. I think there are 12 LED’s on these.
design1stcode2nd's Avatar design1stcode2nd 06:03 PM 03-02-2013
I put the lightest red gel I purchased in and it really kills the step lights. I'll have to order something more transparent at some point.

I'm also debating putting two recliners in the theater while I wait on carpet to be installed. Other than finishing up the rack door which should be done this weekend there is nothing left to do inside the theater. Doesn't this picture just say "I need carpet!"
P1120473_zpsba330e2e.jpg
P1120480_zps0b8c1c80.jpg
design1stcode2nd's Avatar design1stcode2nd 10:59 AM 03-04-2013
The rack door is finished and everything is cleaned up and waiting on carpet. Other than making 16:9 panels for the screen the theater is finished. Hopefully the carpet will be in shortly as I can't do too much outside the theater until my recliners are out of storage. I need the storage space they occupy for what is currently outside the theater before I can tile.

I plan on painting the area outside the theater this week and I'll hang a poster where the TV/Lighted poster will be. I guess I could try building the movie storage although I can't install it until tile is complete.

After four months of always having something to do with the basement it feels odd it not being done but yet not being able to work in it.
design1stcode2nd's Avatar design1stcode2nd 09:49 AM 03-05-2013
Looks like carpet will get installed sometime next week, yay!

I'm planning on taping cardboard to my base trim, anything else I should do before the installers arrive? I know some have gotten their baseboard scuffed up and since mine is stained I wanted to avoid that at all costs.
landshark1's Avatar landshark1 10:32 AM 03-05-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by design1stcode2nd View Post

I hadn’t planned on it but I ended up watching Thor late last night, man what an LFE fest that thing is. I know I’ve seen it before but it must have been before I got the HSU 15H. I definitely need to do more tuning on the sub and tighten things down in the rack. I’ll be running this movie a number of times to locate rattles and vibrations.
May be try to isolate/decouple the sub to the floor might help using something like a Subdue or build one your own?

Quote:
Originally Posted by design1stcode2nd View Post

Looks like carpet will get installed sometime next week, yay!

design1stcode2nd's Avatar design1stcode2nd 11:04 AM 03-05-2013
I think i have it dialed in to where I like it, sub is set to EQ1 with both ports plugged. No more rattles and the bass is tighter. I'll run audyssey once everything in place and I have time (i hope i can find the mic that came with the AVR).

I got the first coat of paint on outside the theater, should finish that up tonight.
design1stcode2nd's Avatar design1stcode2nd 06:20 PM 03-05-2013
My snap frame poster frame came in today and had a fair amount of damage. Multiple holes in the box and scrapes on the frame. The packaging has no cushion what so ever. I want to be able to easily change the posters so I'll have to look for another frame company.
design1stcode2nd's Avatar design1stcode2nd 07:34 AM 03-06-2013
Well they are sending a replacement and I get to keep the one I have so not too bad.
1F19FD91-B9C4-4BE2-B770-7EBE972C2B01-212-000000ACD70675C1_zps5ea5fbd2.jpg
design1stcode2nd's Avatar design1stcode2nd 02:34 PM 03-14-2013
Carpet comes tomorrow and I have my baseboards and riser step covered with cardboard. I’ll be taking down any pictures on the route to the theater so the installers don’t run into anything breakable. Anything else I should consider doing?
design1stcode2nd's Avatar design1stcode2nd 09:10 AM 03-16-2013
Theater is done.
P1120504_zps9871f2dc.jpg
P1120505_zpsac1e82b4.jpg
P1120506_zps90995d40.jpg
P1120508_zps1c0d2281.jpg
P1120509_zps19a03121.jpg
P1120511_zps4a216ab0.jpg
P1120513_zpseb7d0ffa.jpg
P1120512_zps05625754.jpg
P1120514_zps35e71b6c.jpg
landshark1's Avatar landshark1 09:14 AM 03-16-2013
Awesome!! Really nicely done!! smile.gif

I'm sure you've mentioned it somewhere, but what size is the screen and how far away you sit?
J_P_A's Avatar J_P_A 04:41 PM 03-16-2013
I don't know how I've missed this thread for so long. Your theater looks amazing! Very impressive. I bet it's a great feeling to be done smile.gif
NGiovas's Avatar NGiovas 04:47 PM 03-16-2013

Wow, looks fantastic!  The carpet looks great wink.gif.

snickers1's Avatar snickers1 07:12 PM 03-16-2013
looks great !! i am jealous m carpet will not be installed until mid april.
design1stcode2nd's Avatar design1stcode2nd 08:17 AM 03-17-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark1 View Post

Awesome!! Really nicely done!! smile.gif

I'm sure you've mentioned it somewhere, but what size is the screen and how far away you sit?

Thanks everyone. It is good to finally be done with the theater. I still have the area outside the theater to do so plenty of work left. Now that the chairs are out of the storage area I can clear the space for tile. It's not a huge space but it will take a while 250sq feet when you are cutting, thinseting, and laying yourself goes slowly.

The screen is 120", 2.35:1 and I think 96", 1.78:1. First row eyes are at 9' when reclining and back row is 14' 6" reclined.
design1stcode2nd's Avatar design1stcode2nd 12:40 PM 03-17-2013
Panoramic
100_0693_zps71048e75.jpg
landshark1's Avatar landshark1 10:19 PM 03-17-2013
^^ Nice shot! cool.gif
tlogan6797's Avatar tlogan6797 07:35 AM 03-18-2013
Nice! GREAT job! Congratulations.
RTROSE's Avatar RTROSE 07:09 PM 03-18-2013
I just read through your thread, all I can say is that I wish I had shown up earlier to share in the journey, it certainty has been an adventure buy the looks of it, but that is what makes it all that much better and appreciated. Your space looks fantastic, love the colors, stain, woodwork, all just works very nicely together. Well done! Nice choice on the sub, it was on my short list it came down to the HSU or the Rythmik and I went with the Rythmik. Speaking of the sub, very slick way to "house your sub", don't know that I have seen it done like that. Very cool.

Kudos, now the fun part of enjoying it begins.

Regards,

RTROSE
AirBenji's Avatar AirBenji 10:14 AM 03-19-2013
Great work here - congratulations on a job well done!
rebelranger's Avatar rebelranger 11:25 AM 03-19-2013
What did you end up doing for the riser lights? They look slightly red but still provide good light. Are they 110vac or 12vdc?
design1stcode2nd's Avatar design1stcode2nd 12:41 PM 03-19-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

I just read through your thread, all I can say is that I wish I had shown up earlier to share in the journey, it certainty has been an adventure buy the looks of it, but that is what makes it all that much better and appreciated. Your space looks fantastic, love the colors, stain, woodwork, all just works very nicely together. Well done! Nice choice on the sub, it was on my short list it came down to the HSU or the Rythmik and I went with the Rythmik. Speaking of the sub, very slick way to "house your sub", don't know that I have seen it done like that. Very cool.

Kudos, now the fun part of enjoying it begins.

Regards,

RTROSE
Thank you, it’s been an experience and changed a great deal from the initial imaginings; my various home improvement projects tend to do that. For instance my wife told me one day she wanted a shelf made that would span our eating area of the kitchen (it became an eating area after we built a family room addition a number of years ago) to hold her collection of tea pots. It was a very reasonable request and would have been simple to do. The space had a small fish tank and a corner cabinet and the shelf would have gone above it. Well that started the wheels churning and the designer in me had all kinds of ideas. So what would have been $100 in supplies ended up having another couple of zeros added to that and is now a 12’ length of cabinets and 6’ length of countertop with backsplash and LED lighting. And yes she did have an open cabinet to display her teapots. smile.gif

Never ask a designer to do something small was the lesson she learned.

The sub turned out alright, it helps a lot that it is front ported and variable. Ideally you’d want to do a sub crawl and find an ideal spot in your space. Mine had to fit in a predefined spot so I had hoped that its ability to fine tune would not make that a bad decision and so far it hasn’t. I can say that the enclosed rack dramatically amplifies the sub that I’ve had to turn it down a good bit. I do plan to run room correction when I can finally get to the microphone that is in my storage area. I can’t find my rear surround brackets, spare PJ bulb or AVR microphone so I know they have to be back there somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBenji View Post

Great work here - congratulations on a job well done!

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelranger View Post

What did you end up doing for the riser lights? They look slightly red but still provide good light. Are they 110vac or 12vdc?

110v LED here is the link (I bought the ready to paint primer cover):
http://www.pegasuslighting.com/led-mini-step-lights-louvers.html
I bought some colored gels that AVSers recommended to me. I plan on ordering some new gels soon as the current ones really kill the light; going to try some more transparent gels. I think the one that is on now only allows 12% light through or something like that (It was the most transparent red they had). I have some pictures somewhere of the gel on and off; with the gels off it puts out a huge amount of light.
design1stcode2nd's Avatar design1stcode2nd 08:41 AM 03-20-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post

What a transformation. I remember tuning in at the beginning when you were thinking about having two entrances.
Looks like in the end you made all the right choices. Your theater is fabulous. Congratulations. A long expensive trip but well worth it.
I hope family and friends enjoy many hours in there. Looks like I have another finished theater to add to my archive for future ideas.

There you are, at home among the AVS legends. smile.gif

I am more than honored to be among such august company.
HT_SoulMan's Avatar HT_SoulMan 10:58 AM 03-21-2013
Very nice!!
design1stcode2nd's Avatar design1stcode2nd 09:42 AM 03-26-2013
Am I overreacting or justified? I need some advice.

So in the past week or two that the theater has been done we had a sleepover for my son’s 10th birthday and the boys of course watched a movie and as boys do you get the normal “This is cool, this is awesome, yadda yadda”. I’ve had some family over and to varying degrees you get some form of compliment. Some people really like it and tell you and some are more reserved which is normal.

However, yesterday my wife had our neighbor over who isn’t a big movie fan but has been wanting to watch the Twilight movies with my wife as they bought the books together and read them. After they were done I asked my wife how her friend liked it, meaning the movie and the theater. Apparently her comment was “You guys are so funny about your movies”. With the tone that I took as you all waste so much money on silly stuff. That might sound like a leap but I’ve known her for a number of years and know how she is. She is nice enough and helpful, we watch each other’s kids but there is a snotty undertone to her.

Another example, my wife is on a new diet and had a picture of her dinner on FB, very nutritious, the typical comment you get is, looks good or something supportive. Her comment “Looks like every night in our house”.

I don’t know why but it’s gotten under my skin. I’ve always been taught that if something is important to a family member or friend or anyone really that you should be supportive even if it’s not your cup of tea.

Anyone else had similar comments from people?
RTROSE's Avatar RTROSE 10:00 AM 03-26-2013
First let me say this. I would not sweat it one second. Are you happy? Yes......Then everything else is gravy. Would it be nice if your friend/neighbor is happy for you too? Yes.....but as long as you and the family are happy then I would not worry about others "opinions" as they are just that. Be a duck, let whatever someone says to you slide right off like water off a ducks back.

Second. I find when someone has that type of undertone it is (whether they will admit it or not) driven by differing levels of jealousy or envy. I have received a couple of "backhanded compliments" about different things I have done including my theater. It is usually about the cost of what I have done. Funny thing is it usually comes from someone who spends gobs of cash on one of their passions. I find that particularly funny because you would think that type of person would understand your passion, even though they might not share what you are passionate for. When it boils down to it, it really is nobody's business what you do and how you do it and if you and the family are happy then who cares really? I do understand that if your close friends/neighbors how feelings can get hurt as you would think they would as you say take interest in and encourage you in what you do as that what friends do. If all else you can just be honest and just politely say that the couple of comments they made were hurtful. My guess would be that they did not mean it that way and have no idea that the comments rubbed you the wrong way.

As far as FB yeah, I see that type of stuff all the time. I just ignore most of that stuff on FB. Some people say stuff like that thinking they are being funny, but don't realize how it comes off when someone reads it. I have to tell my youngest all the time to remove stuff as what he thinks is funny and appropriate is a lot different than what I deem as such.

Hope this all works out for you. Good luck.

Regards,

RTROSE
dvmiller's Avatar dvmiller 10:09 AM 03-26-2013
Your theater is beautiful! The carpet and wall panels go great together.

Sounds to me like the neighbor lady is having difficulty hiding some jealousy. I don't think you're overreacting, it would bug me too.

Probably sounds cliche but, reminds me of the Rick Nelson song, Garden Party: "you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself" Anyway you've done a great job and I'm sure comments by your next guests will drown her out.
tlogan6797's Avatar tlogan6797 11:36 AM 03-26-2013
THIS is why I caution the noobs who say "I'm planning for two rows of 4" (or 6 or 3 rows of 4 or whatever) even though there's only 2 of us because we like to have people over all the time." You HAVE to build these theaters for yourself. I originally was thinking 2 rows of 4 but it turns out I barely have room for 1 row of 4. Which is perfect because there's only 2 or three of us down there 99% of the time.

My own recent example.....just this past weekend, LOGANESS wanted to see Magic Mike. I wasn't all that interested, so I told her to invite three of her women friends over. Turned out just her and I down there. Glad I didn't spend the bucks for 4 MORE empty chairs. Some people just won't "get" it. Build what makes YOU happy. You invite them and they come or don't. Don't take it personally.
First ... 5  6  7 8  9  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop