Omaha Theater #5 - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 353 Old 10-08-2012, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 24
That is a cool little gadget and the price is right, it almost seems like a solution in search of a problem though. I think I may also have a very active RF spectrum in my house too, so many different devices working on many frequencies that I sometimes get interference.

The Nexus 7 looks very nice but the desktop on it is locked in portrait mode, while my main remote app; touchsquid, is locked in landscape mode only. This wouldn't work well for me, my tablet mount is locked into one orientation, my choice which, but once locked in it is not easy to change. I need a 7" tablet that will work all the time in landscape mode. Or I need touchsquid devs to allow portrait mode, but it doesn't look like that is happening.

I used to remote in to my htpc using my main desktop but that always left the htpc at that windows user selection screen, which is a hassle each time you want to watch a movie. My life has been much easier since I discovered splashtop!

My perpetual home theater build - Omaha Theater #5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 353 Old 10-08-2012, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
To fix the issue of the portrait desktop and many other things check out this app. It is the best $2.89 I have ever spent. I'm going to run iRule on the nexus with this.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.adwfreak.launcher&hl=en
post #273 of 353 Old 10-08-2012, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebrunner View Post

I used to remote in to my htpc using my main desktop but that always left the htpc at that windows user selection screen, which is a hassle each time you want to watch a movie.

Sounds like you were using Windows Remote Desktop.

UltraVNC doesn't do that. I don't think RAdmin does either. I posted issues and work-arounds at XBMC forums if still interested.

post #274 of 353 Old 10-10-2012, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Interesting last few days. Had some friends over for a movie, we watched Cabin in the Woods, it looks like your standard Friday the 13th ripoff but then veers into interesting territory, and has some ultra deep bass toward the end that had my entire room shaking. The movie seemed dark, really dark. So dark we had a lot of trouble seeing what was going on.

After the movie I was talking to Desertdome and he pointed me toward some posts on different threads, after researching, it turned out it wasn't the movies fault, it was because I was running my nvidia card at a custom resolution and Nvidia has a bug that causes it to default to outputting 0-255 color when run at custom resolutions. I wasn't running the RS-1 at 0-255 so it was clipping the whites and blacks. After some messing around with settings I should have the nvidia set up to always output 0-255 and the RS-1 set to input 0-255 and should be set for the future.

While messing around with all of this, I believe I also got the correct custom resolutions set and xbmc should now be able to run the movies at 24fps instead of 60hz. Did a few brief minutes of testing last night and it seemed to be working, can't wait to have enough time to watch an entire movie and see how it looks!

post #275 of 353 Old 10-15-2012, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

We ran some additional 3.5mm cables for IR control. I upgraded the touchsquid app to the pro level which adds macros. There is a macro set up that will power everything on and dim the lights, then another macro to power everything off and raise the lights. It also has individual control over the lighting.

When I was messing around with that I started to wonder about thermostat control and if there were any IR or wifi thermostats, it turns out that Home Depot carries one for less than $100.
The downside is that it is going to be controlled by it's own app. That means I'll have an app for the thermostat, an app for the IR controls, an app to launch xbmc, and a separate app to control xbmc. It would be great to have everything together in one app.

I may do some reading on z-wave automation before I go to Home Depot and buy this wifi thermostat. I don't know what z-wave is but I see that there are therms and lights that also can use that technology, as well as android apps to control it.

post #276 of 353 Old 10-15-2012, 10:11 AM

If you are going to get into zwave which is a very nice and cheap automation system look into the micasa vera 3. Irule does a great job with controlling it, macros and all.

HomeBuddy is an android app that allows you to have shortcut widgets to control your Vera.
post #277 of 353 Old 10-16-2012, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Drew I took a look at the vera 3 yesterday, it seems like it has a lot more functionality than I would want or need but there is one called a Vera Lite that is about half the cost, it is a green and white plastic box, do you know if that would work the same for me?

I also saw that there are zwave enabled power outlets?!? Not sure exactly what those do, would it be possible to use one of those, plug both of my behringer amps into it, leave the amps in a powered on status since they use physical rocker switches, and then use the zwave outlet to turn the amps on and off? If it can do that, I will buy it for that alone.

Right now I have remote power control over everything except the sub amps. I either have to leave those power hogs on all the time, or else go to the server closet and turn them on and off every time we want to use the theater room.

post #278 of 353 Old 10-16-2012, 10:16 AM

Do you have any plans to expand control to other areas of your house? If not Vera lite should work just fine for you. The zwave outlet has one regular plug on it and one controlled plug.
post #279 of 353 Old 10-16-2012, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Probably just the theater room. I looked at the z-wave outlets, they are all 15a and wouldn't work for the amps. It looks like there may be something called a "contactor" or "relay fixture module" that is rated at 20a and may work. It appears to be a separate piece that hooks in between the electric line and the current receptacle and turns it into a switched receptacle. I can't get a sense of how big these things are though, and if they have to fit inside the current electric boxes, I don't know if I would have the room for them.

http://store.homeseer.com/store/Evolve-LFM-20-Z-Wave-Relay-Fixture-Module-P1007.aspx

post #280 of 353 Old 10-16-2012, 12:12 PM

Those are suppose to go in the box also, they might require a deeper box. I'm surprised there isn't a manufacturer that has 20amp outlets for zwave. They would make for a easy way to control an existing outlet.
post #281 of 353 Old 10-24-2012, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

DesertDome came over Monday with a ton of gear and calibrated the subs. He used the REW software and some kind of interface box between the pc and receiver to generate the tones, and a very nice mic on a boom to measure with. There was a big bump around 50hz I think, he was able to smooth things down and probably has some before and after graphs to post. I need to get used to listening to the new (correct) smooth response curve, I guess I was used to that big bump around 50hz and I can tell it is gone now.

HuskerOmaha came over today with his wifes fancy camera and tripod to get some better quality pictures of the room. He muddled through a ton of settings and we got some pictures with some nice brightness to them, but the colors are way off, they look really sepia toned, not the crisp blues and grays of the fabric.

post #282 of 353 Old 10-25-2012, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 71
Sepia tones or not - the theater looks great! Well done nebrunner!

The Esquire Theater Construction Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1289590
post #283 of 353 Old 10-25-2012, 10:45 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBenji View Post

Sepia tones or not - the theater looks great! Well done nebrunner!
I second that! I'm looking forward to seeing this bad-boy in person on the upcoming tour. I'll be bringing my camera and will share any photos I take if you'd like.
post #284 of 353 Old 10-25-2012, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 57
What's wrong with sepia tones? tongue.gif I like it!
post #285 of 353 Old 10-25-2012, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 93
That came out very nice. You should be proud.
post #286 of 353 Old 10-25-2012, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Very clean well built room. Nicely done!
post #287 of 353 Old 10-25-2012, 01:33 PM

Liked: 13
That is one, top notch looking theater, well done indeed.
post #288 of 353 Old 10-26-2012, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

What's wrong with sepia tones? tongue.gif I like it!

Yeah, I looked through the settings and asked the wife what I had set wrong, and it was set on sepia enhanced or something. So, there's that. smile.gif
post #289 of 353 Old 10-31-2012, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 474
During this past weekend's Omaha home theater tour we measured nebrunner's theater frequency response. Here is what the omnimic showed.

Note: We discovered through some quick testing that having Audyssey enabled severely limiting the headroom of Chris' system. This first FR capture is how we auditioned Chris's theater --- with Audyssey on. Definately worth mentioning is the incredible isolation work that Chris has preformed in his room. In the theater room I measured 116dB SPL. I went to the room immediately above Chris's theater room, while Chris replayed the same intense tracks and I measured a measly 79.6 dB peak upstairs while movies were playing at 116dB below. In the room immediately adjacent I couldn't even get a measurement because the tour group's voices in casual conversation were continually louder than the movie material occurring in the theater room --- despite the fact they were hitting 116dB levels in the theater room, you could easily carry on a casual conversation in the room next door!!! It was very impressive indeed! I was in the second audition group and while the first was auditioning Chris's theater I kept thinking that they must have been playing the audio at extremely low volumes based on the very low audio leakage to the adjacent room. NOT so. Chris's isolation efforts were amazing. I think you could easily sleep in the room immediately adjacent to the theater room while a movie was playing at reference in the theater room. Outstanding!
nebrunnertheaterresponseasoriginallyrecorded-couldnothitmatchpointat95dBat40hzwithAudysseyon.jpg

During our brief troubleshooting we turned Audyssey off and I also captured nebrunner's theater's FR without Audyssey. To make these FR's line up, I added 10dB to the Audyssey capture in the omnimic software for the purposes of easy comparison.
nebrunnertheaterresponseasoriginallyrecorded-AudysseyvsNoAudyssey-bothFRcapturedatMLP.jpg

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout

My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint

post #290 of 353 Old 10-31-2012, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Archaea. 79.6db doesn't seem "measly" to me but I guess in comparison to 116db that is a big gap in perceived loudness. I'm sure we had the volume cranked up much higher for the Theater Tour than I ever do when watching a movie myself, so the real volume upstairs is normally much lower than 80db.

I got some cleanup completed in the equipment closet. The gear is racked, the panel blanks are all in place, I even found a good spot to use my little THX sign I picked up on the classifieds here last year.

The idea with the pegboard is to mount it to the wall with some standoffs then use it to mount all my networking and telco gear. Some weekend I'll get around to all that and we can see if it is going to work out or not.

post #291 of 353 Old 10-31-2012, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I had a chance to check out Chris's room during the Omaha tour and I was really impressed. Overall, it is a very nice package. And what stuck out more than anything for me was the success he has had with soundproofing.

Jonathan, I should have asked you to take measurements of the theaters inside the room when it was dead quiet. It would be amazing to see what the differences in noise floor are. The noise floor in his room is very low indeed. I am sure you took great pains to keep it that way. I did not hear any noise coming from the HVAC and also worth noting is that is was relatively cool in your room compared to the others we visited. Granted we went in two groups but still.

I am in the final design stages and have most of the framing done so I am keeping your build thread close by for quick reference.

btw that THX sign is totally rad. I remember it was basically the first thing I saw as I stepped in the back door and it let me know I was in for something pretty serious hanging over that massive rack!

Congratulations and thanks for sharing your room with us. I am hereby spurred onward.

-Grant
post #292 of 353 Old 11-01-2012, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Happy Halloween!!!

IMG_1818.jpg

Yoda fell sleep after about 10 minutes of walking around. Full of sleepiness he was, yes.

IMG_1819.jpg

post #293 of 353 Old 11-01-2012, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 93
You look like Indiana Jones. With Yoda on your back, you should have been Luke Skywalker.
yoda-and-luke.jpg
post #294 of 353 Old 11-01-2012, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

You are right Spaceman! The whole muscle shirt thing was a little too hardcore Star Wars nerd for my wife. Can you believe she has never seen any Star Wars movie??? She does like Indiana Jones though.

post #295 of 353 Old 11-03-2012, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have one channel on one of my Behringer EP-4000's that wasn't being used for anything, so I ordered a couple of transducers to try out. One is a Clark brand, the other is a Buttkicker. The Clarks are about half the cost so I figured I could compare to see if the performance of the Buttkickers justified the extra cost. I also only bought two because I'm not sure the tactile effect is something that I would enjoy, I remember watching a movie at CEDIA and sitting on a D-Box motion couch and it just wasn't for me.

I googled for Clark Berkline installs and there is not much information available. When I turned over one of the Berks, I saw that you don't have a lot of room to mount anything in there. The reclining mechanism takes up most of the space but there was a shallow horizontal area between the seat and the slides. I cut a piece of plywood to go across that area, bolted on the Clark, and it just barely fit.

I had to run a new wire through the tubing in the riser and into the equipment room, hooked everything up, and it all worked! The impact tremor scene in Jurassic Park now feels the way it should. I did have to keep turning the amp channel way down until the tactile effect was not too overbearing.

confirm you got the clark synthesis tst209?

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-861

how are you eq'ing the transducers, or are you?

dd, sent a note out saying they were 79$ on sale currently and I liked them at your house and am considering buying four.

I think the inuke dsp amp would be perfect for these. I can set a lpf at 50hz and set a peak signal limiter to keep the tranducer volumes in check regardless of overall avr volume.

any other recommendations on the transducers?

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout

post #296 of 353 Old 11-03-2012, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Those are the same that I have. Can't go wrong for that price. Desertdome and I hooked them up on the other amp channel across from the Growler, so they are receiving the same exact EQ'd signal as the Growler. I think that is 40 or 50hz up to 120hz but DD can verify. If you have chairs like mine they should be pretty easy to install, if you have a full sofa you might be better off with a Buttkicker.

post #297 of 353 Old 11-03-2012, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

I have four berkline recliners. I'm hoping to set them up similar to your setup.

Except that I'd like to LPF them at about 50hz with a light rolloff --- so that mainly frequencies below 50hz pass to the transducers. I can put a hard 48dB ocatave HPF at 20hz on them so they only get frequencies above 20hz and below 50hz.

My thoughts being that I would prefer they only engage on the deepest content and help overcome my basement concrete slab's disagreement with letting me feel my bass without turning it up ---- the act of which seems to historically annoy my wife! redface.gif

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout

post #298 of 353 Old 11-04-2012, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:

Those are the same that I have. Can't go wrong for that price. Desertdome and I hooked them up on the other amp channel across from the Growler, so they are receiving the same exact EQ'd signal as the Growler. I think that is 40 or 50hz up to 120hz but DD can verify. If you have chairs like mine they should be pretty easy to install, if you have a full sofa you might be better off with a Buttkicker.

I thought you were running that amp in stereo and receiving a separate signal from the DCX2496 for the left and right channels. You told me it was output 3 on the DCX2496 when we were EQing. I put a a 15 Hz highpass and 50 or 60 Hz lowpass or output 3.
post #299 of 353 Old 11-04-2012, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post

I thought you were running that amp in stereo and receiving a separate signal from the DCX2496 for the left and right channels. You told me it was output 3 on the DCX2496 when we were EQing. I put a a 15 Hz highpass and 50 or 60 Hz lowpass or output 3.

I just checked, you are right. Prior to your help I had been giving it the same signal as the Growler. I forgot we had changed it. 15-50 makes a lot more sense than 60-120! Thanks.

post #300 of 353 Old 11-07-2012, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Looking fantastic! I need to come see it!

-Jason

The "Z" Family Theater - Almost "complete".
-Not your average sub build
-Klipsch Sonosub Build

SONY quality and customer service FTMFL
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Theater Solutions

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page