Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebrunner View Post

Few things -

- my estimate of insulation completion was seriously off

- hanging insulation is not nearly as fun as I expected it to be

- after a miserable night of trying to cut the roxul with a razor blade, I remembered reading someones thread where they cut it using an electric carving knife. I gave that a try and it's perfect. As long as my wife doesn't find out I'm using her good carving knife to cut insulation in the basement...

Greg if you have an hour free tonight, tomorrow or Friday to give me a hand, let me know.

Insulation...sucks. Well only if you are an idiot and try and move around with your extra open faced stuff in the summer in the crawl space above your garage thinking it will help in the winter for your kids rooms.

I didn't think it was too bad doing the walls at least. And the electric carving knifes are like $10 at Walmart or online. That was the best for the OC703 by far. So easy.

I fear I may be priming and painting the F20s on Friday, and I work late tonight....

Update?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 355 Old 09-23-2011, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Ceiling insulation is in and the HVAC flex is in for the supplies, I will work on the returns tonight.

The roxul only fills the first 1/3 of each cavity, I have plenty of room if I want to add some faced fiberglass batts but I don't know if there is any additional acoustic benefit to piling on top of the roxul.

I may work on some of the drywalling this weekend but I need to check with Ted and see what order the sheets go up or if it matters much. Also if you have to always end each sheet halfway down the hat channel, like you would if it were going against studs.

My perpetual home theater build - Omaha Theater #5
post #33 of 355 Old 09-23-2011, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Really, once an air cavity is 50% - 70% full, there's not a real improvement adding more insulation.

Take a peek at the WhisperClip SIM for drywall application diagrams, but essentially your first layer is ceiling, then walls. Then celing again, often perpendicular to the first layer, then the second layer on the wall, also perpendicular.

This is the great advantage of multi-layered applications that comes with field installations. Exotic drywall in single layers will always combat seams and seal failures.

Ted

The Soundproofing Company
post #34 of 355 Old 09-27-2011, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Looking good might swing by Wed with Star Trek.
post #35 of 355 Old 09-27-2011, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The Berklines are coming in today from UPS, I'm nowhere near ready for them though

Worked all weekend and it seems like no visible progress aside from:

It took a while to pick all that up from Lowe's and carry it downstairs. Many thanks to my friend CJ for helping with it all, I doubt he knew what he was getting into when I asked him to help me move some drywall.

The clips and channel are all installed, I'm glad it's done but I'm almost wishing I had skipped them altogether. I hope they turn out to be worth it.

I borrowed a drywall lift from Woolly last night, might try and get a few panels hung this evening.

post #36 of 355 Old 10-04-2011, 01:08 PM

Liked: 10
Nice, going. Looking good so far. Subscribed. Hope the rest of the drywalling goes ok. I was thinking about doing the clips and hat channel but in the end it wasn't really worth it for my application.

Skyrun Cinema Build-Speakers done and positioned. 7/2 THTLP done. Fabric Frames going on now.

post #37 of 355 Old 10-05-2011, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I think I made a good Craigslist score yesterday. There was a post from a guy selling "gently used" Dricore panels for $2 each.

I drove over to check them out last night, it was a bunch of guys in their 20's who had rented a split entry home and were using it as an office to develop Iphone games, they had workstations all throughout the house and the dricore was being used over the top of the house carpet.

Their game making was going so well that they had outgrown the house and were moving to a real office space. I bought all of their Dricore.

post #38 of 355 Old 10-06-2011, 02:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think I made a good Craigslist score yesterday. There was a post from a guy selling "gently used" Dricore panels for $2 each.

I drove over to check them out last night, it was a bunch of guys in their 20's who had rented a split entry home and were using it as an office to develop Iphone games, they had workstations all throughout the house and the dricore was being used over the top of the house carpet.

Their game making was going so well that they had outgrown the house and were moving to a real office space. I bought all of their Dricore.

That is a steal.

Have you and Mike completed up to drywall stage yet?
post #39 of 355 Old 10-18-2011, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The first and second layers of drywall are done. I would be just fine with never having to work with greenglue for the rest of my life.

I had a minor greenglue disaster over the weekend while trying to hang a 4x8 5/8th" sheet solo. I had it coated in greenglue and hoisted it up horizontally against the ceiling, while holding it in place I reached for my impact driver so I could screw it in...and found that the impact driver was just out of reach.

Tried to hold the drywall up while grabbing out for the impact driver and the whole thing came crashing down, breaking up the drywall, greenglue flying all over.

It's ugly and it was frustrating but I guess since it will be covered with insulation and behind the screenwall nobody will ever see it.

Started in on the soffits, using a design that I saw from Big and Jesto. I wasn't sure they would be very strong but Big assured me it was, and of course he was right.

post #40 of 355 Old 10-19-2011, 06:12 AM

Quote:

The first and second layers of drywall are done. I would be just fine with never having to work with greenglue for the rest of my life.

I had a minor greenglue disaster over the weekend while trying to hang a 4x8 5/8th" sheet solo. I had it coated in greenglue and hoisted it up horizontally against the ceiling, while holding it in place I reached for my impact driver so I could screw it in...and found that the impact driver was just out of reach.

Tried to hold the drywall up while grabbing out for the impact driver and the whole thing came crashing down, breaking up the drywall, greenglue flying all over.

It's ugly and it was frustrating but I guess since it will be covered with insulation and behind the screenwall nobody will ever see it.

Yep, it will do just fine. By the way, how was it installing the drywall with the channels? Did you have a hard time finding your channels to screw in to? Wow, I feell like you and me are neck and neck but you're gona surpass me while I'm gone. I've only started on my soffits.

Skyrun Cinema Build-Speakers done and positioned. 7/2 THTLP done. Fabric Frames going on now.

post #41 of 355 Old 10-19-2011, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The channels weren't too bad, most of the time I would remember to mark the end locations so I could snap a chalk line down the longer runs, that helped a lot. For the shorter areas I could eyeball it and generally get it pretty close.

I have some greenglue left over, I will use some on the soffits but it wont be much, I'm thinking about greengluing a thick piece of MDF to the inside of the theater room door and then wrapping that in gom to match the walls.

I don't know about surpassing you, it feels like I'm moving at a pretty slow pace, and all my friends keep asking me when it will be done, they don't realize that it's going to be a long time...

post #42 of 355 Old 10-31-2011, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I worked on the soffits over the weekend, got the HVAC registers hooked up and the plywood skins on the soffits. Also got to work on the curved front soffit, using a technique from Jesto's thread:

3 separate pieces of 1/4" drywall, glued and clamped to form the curve.

post #43 of 355 Old 11-01-2011, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Whats with the one pic tease. I'm sure you took more post em up

Scott

The CopperFields Cinema

Current Photo's

post #44 of 355 Old 11-01-2011, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I took a couple pictures while it was clamped. Each layer was glued to the next, now I understand why it takes several layers. The first layer was not very curved, the second layer was more curved but still had some straight edges, by the third layer it was a smooth curve the entire length of the soffit.

Yesterday I got the final plywood hung underneath the curve, and cut in the four 3" holes for the can lights. Tonight I'll start the final layer of greenglue and drywall on the soffits, when that is done it will be time for mudding and taping!

post #45 of 355 Old 11-16-2011, 01:41 AM

Hello guys... long time lurker of this site... Fellow Omaha guy here with a huge interest in Home Theater stuff. I am not going to be in the market for one for quite a while so I stop here all the time to dream. HaHa

I just wanted to say that if any of you need help hanging drywall or pounding nails let me know. The more I can learn about this stuff the better off I will be whenever I get the chance to have my own.

Feel free to hit me up for some free labor anytime guys...

Michael
post #46 of 355 Old 11-16-2011, 06:20 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 582
Missed the pictures of the drywall adventures and curved soffit a couple of weeks ago I guess. Things are really coming together. You've reached the stage where it actually starts to look like a theater. Keep us posted.
post #47 of 355 Old 11-16-2011, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebraska_Mike View Post

Hello guys... long time lurker of this site... Fellow Omaha guy here with a huge interest in Home Theater stuff. I am not going to be in the market for one for quite a while so I stop here all the time to dream. HaHa

I just wanted to say that if any of you need help hanging drywall or pounding nails let me know. The more I can learn about this stuff the better off I will be whenever I get the chance to have my own.

Feel free to hit me up for some free labor anytime guys...

Michael

Welcome Michael. There are a good number of us Nebraska guys on here to help you out too. If you don't already know some of NE threads we'll post them up so you can take a look at them.

post #48 of 355 Old 11-16-2011, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hi Michael, welcome to the forum. The drywall is completed (thankfully) but the next major things to work on will be the stage and riser. I've been working on it every Saturday usually starting around 9am. If you ever want to come over on a Saturday and help out, or just take a look, fee free to private message me and I can send you directions.

I need to put up some pictures of it now that it is mudded and taped. Everybody who said that hiring out the mudding and taping would be money well spent was 100% correct!

I picked up the tinted drywall primer last night. Next step is to prime it all and then put a few coats of Behr flat black on the ceiling.

post #49 of 355 Old 11-16-2011, 07:19 AM

Nicely done. I agree, even though I saved some money and learned some things, it might be well worth it to hire out.

I'm just now working on the risers and I have most of the soffit work done. It's really exciting when you get to that stage.

post #50 of 355 Old 11-16-2011, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Chris

I should be done mowing for the year the middle of next week. I can give you a hand with the stage in the evening some time next week probably only take us a few hours to put it together. I know you already have a idea of how your going to build it but you'll want to run the framing long way will make building it alot faster and less cuts.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post11254106

Scott

The CopperFields Cinema

Current Photo's

post #51 of 355 Old 11-16-2011, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
The Omaha and VA guys have it good. Lots of local support and now you even have people volunteering to help on your builds?

Your room is looking great. I got some green glue on a couple spots on my walls also. Removed what I could with spot remover, then did a skim coat of mud over it. That stuff is impossible to get off.
post #52 of 355 Old 11-16-2011, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockmonkey2000 View Post

The Omaha and VA guys have it good. Lots of local support and now you even have people volunteering to help on your builds?

Your room is looking great. I got some green glue on a couple spots on my walls also. Removed what I could with spot remover, then did a skim coat of mud over it. That stuff is impossible to get off.

Great looking build!

I hear ya with re: to omaha and VA. There is noone anywhere near me.

jim
post #53 of 355 Old 11-16-2011, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It's a great community, locally but also everybody on AVS as well. Met some great people who I never would have met without AVS.

post #54 of 355 Old 11-16-2011, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimim View Post

Great looking build!

I hear ya with re: to omaha and VA. There is noone anywhere near me.

jim

Bet there is, given the size of the community, but you need to let them know where "near you" is.
post #55 of 355 Old 12-01-2011, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Whats with the silent treatment. How about a update

Scott

The CopperFields Cinema

Current Photo's

post #56 of 355 Old 12-01-2011, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've been working on the other side of the basement, running electrical, plumbed in the bathroom. Etc. Trying to have it ready for the drywall in a week or two. Then I'll get back to the theater side.

post #57 of 355 Old 12-11-2011, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

post #58 of 355 Old 12-13-2011, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Priorities shifted a bit, we found out that we are going to be parents! The theater is still going in, but the big man cave I was going to build on the other side is going to be a kids playroom instead. Well, a kids playroom with a bar, beverage fridge and popcorn popper.

I've got the room completed and ready for drywall. Called the drywallers, he said he would be out this week.

I've got a pic of the main room and bathroom, you can see the bev fridge I just picked up, and the door on the left will cover the sump pit.

And a picture of the deep equipment closet under the stairs:

post #59 of 355 Old 12-13-2011, 08:50 PM

Congrats on the up coming new addition. Yeah, I know how the priority thing goes. But hopefully you can keep doing things bit by bit.

post #60 of 355 Old 12-14-2011, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Great news on the baby, congratulations Chris!

/Anders
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Theater Solutions

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page