Omaha Theater #5 - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 358 Old 04-26-2012, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Ah, I see the new sign is in place, nice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 358 Old 04-26-2012, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Looks great Chris. When does the sub come out?
post #93 of 358 Old 04-27-2012, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Next weekend I'll start the digging out process. Once the theater room gets cleaned out and dusted I'll prime it all and paint the ceiling the Behr Mouse Ears black.

Today I was unboxing and lining up all the Berklines. I bought them from Roman during the power buy a while back and today was the first time 5 of them have been out of the box. I think one of the motors doesn't work on one of the chairs, hopefully they are under warranty.

In the back row middle I have two chairs in a "love seat" configuration, I hadn't thought about it before today but as I was looking at them, the one side of the love seat has no reclining buttons, since that unit comes with no arm rests. I need to take a closer look and figure out how that seat reclines, maybe it has a cord that daisy chains to the one next to it and they share the same recline buttons.

My perpetual home theater build - Omaha Theater #5
post #94 of 358 Old 04-27-2012, 04:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebrunner View Post

I think one of the motors doesn't work on one of the chairs, ...

I had this problem, too. Check underneath to make sure one of the Molex-type connectors hasn't come loose in shipment. That was the source of my problem.
post #95 of 358 Old 04-27-2012, 05:16 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBon View Post

I had this problem, too. Check underneath to make sure one of the Molex-type connectors hasn't come loose in shipment. That was the source of my problem.

Good advice there LeBon.....I had the exact same thing happen!
post #96 of 358 Old 04-30-2012, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
The basement turned out pretty sweet. Now get busy on the theater so we can watch some movies.

Scott

The CopperFields Cinema

Current Photo's

post #97 of 358 Old 04-30-2012, 09:17 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Next weekend I'll start the digging out process. Once the theater room gets cleaned out and dusted I'll prime it all and paint the ceiling the Behr Mouse Ears black.

Today I was unboxing and lining up all the Berklines. I bought them from Roman during the power buy a while back and today was the first time 5 of them have been out of the box. I think one of the motors doesn't work on one of the chairs, hopefully they are under warranty.

In the back row middle I have two chairs in a "love seat" configuration, I hadn't thought about it before today but as I was looking at them, the one side of the love seat has no reclining buttons, since that unit comes with no arm rests. I need to take a closer look and figure out how that seat reclines, maybe it has a cord that daisy chains to the one next to it and they share the same recline buttons.

The button for reclining should be on the side of the chair just slightly below the cushioning of the chair. That's how mine is configured.

Skyrun Cinema Build-Speakers done and positioned. 7/2 THTLP done. Fabric Frames going on now.

post #98 of 358 Old 05-01-2012, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

You are right. It was hidden on the side below the cushion seam. Also the motor works. You guys are right and the connector had come loose.

post #99 of 358 Old 05-04-2012, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Looking forward to having some time to spend in the theater room tomorrow getting it all cleaned out, then priming and painting the ceiling.

This week I got all of my stuff cleared out of the soon-to-be baby room and moved downstairs and set up.

First thing I did was mounted my monitor to a wall mount bracket I bought from monoprice. As I was running the wires down through the wall, I thought I would try placing the entire pc in the equipment room and just running the mouse and keyboard wires through the wall to the desk. It turned out that it works great! It keeps the heat and fan noise isolated to the server room and out of my living area.

I also bought a Netgear MOCA set and used it to network my OOMA VOIP hub. It's set up in our main living room hooked into an unused coax jack in the wall. The coax carries the network signal between the phone and my router in the basement.

post #100 of 358 Old 05-04-2012, 09:55 AM

Liked: 11
Your space is looking good. We need to get together and share "war" stories..
post #101 of 358 Old 05-10-2012, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The theater room is cleaned out and the ceiling is primed, tonight I'll work on the first coat of flat black paint.

I've been looking at pictures of riser steps on google images, trying to figure out the best way to build it. I'm going to have matching steps on the left and right side, with built in step lights. I liked this design, which I believe comes from an AVS thread:

post #102 of 358 Old 05-12-2012, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

First coat of paint is up. Starting on the front stage next.

post #103 of 358 Old 05-13-2012, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Main stage is built and the sand is going in. I'll make a curve on the front to match the curved ceiling above.

post #104 of 358 Old 05-17-2012, 05:08 PM

Liked: 10
Looking good. I loved getting the stage done because then it felt like I was shaping the theater and not just building the room.

Skyrun Cinema Build-Speakers done and positioned. 7/2 THTLP done. Fabric Frames going on now.

post #105 of 358 Old 05-19-2012, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

the framing for the riser is done. I used 2x10's for the outside and 2x8's for the joists. It's built on top of roofing felt and will have insulation in between the joists. I have the linear bar diffusors to use at the sides and back so it will also act as a bass trap.

post #106 of 358 Old 05-21-2012, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I started carpet shopping and I am having a heck of a time trying to figure out what I want. I've been to stores varying from Lowes and then to custom higher end carpet only stores. At the custom place I thought the guy might have some ideas when I said I was building a theater room but I think I had better luck finding stuff at Lowes.

I can't even decide if I want pattern or no pattern, I just know I want it dark. The wall colors will be gom Baltic below the chair rail and gom medium gray above the chair rail.

I found some mohawk smartstrand plush carpet in a nice color, but it is a plain carpet no pattern. I don't know if it is going to be too plain and boring looking with fabric walls and carpet all with no pattern.

post #107 of 358 Old 05-22-2012, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The Behr Mouse Ears black paint on the ceiling looks good but I've noticed that is has a definite sheen to it, even though it is listed as a flat paint. I've also noticed that you can really see any dust on it, and if you aren't extremely careful wiping it, it leaves lighter colored smudges. The can of paint says things like "durable" "cleanable" "lifetime warranty" but I don't think it's true.

I found a post on here from 2010 that talks about a film and photo industry paint called Rosco #6003 that is supposed to be the blackest flattest paint you can buy. There is a film and lighting supplier nearby so I had them order a gallon of it for me.

I also bought a gallon of flat varnish from Diamond Vogel. When the #6003 comes in I will put up a test on drywall to compare Mouse Ears, Mouse Ears covered in flat varnish, Rosco #6003, and Rosco #6003 covered in flat varnish. I'll get a picture of all four of them side by side to compare, in case anybody might find that useful when building their own theater room.

post #108 of 358 Old 05-22-2012, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I have seen the Rosco flat black in person as well as the mouse ears and don't feel there is a fair comparison between the two. The Rosco literally looked like a black hole when looking at the ceiling. You won't need/want to put the flat varnish over it. I have never seen a darker/flatter paint.

Read up on applying it. From what I remember reading, it is very thin and drips easy.

I am anxious to get your opinion. I plan to use the Rosco paint on my ceiling.
post #109 of 358 Old 05-25-2012, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

UPS dropped off the screen yesterday. The packing label said 38 pounds but the UPS guy complained it weighed a lot more than that. I bought a Jamestown frame with the Center Stage fabric. 120" wide, 2.4:1 AR. Woolly said he would come over tomorrow to help me assemble it.

post #110 of 358 Old 05-25-2012, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Nice screen. I plan on getting the same screen and frame, but 5" smaller than yours. How long did it take to get after placing your order?
post #111 of 358 Old 05-25-2012, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

Nice screen. I plan on getting the same screen and frame, but 5" smaller than yours. How long did it take to get after placing your order?

It took exactly 6 weeks.

post #112 of 358 Old 05-26-2012, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I primed a few things and got the first coat of Rustoleum Hammered Black paint on them. I'll hit them with another coat later on.

The Nailor linear bar diffusors are for the left and right side of the riser. There must not be much competition in the linear bar diffusor market because these things are expensive! I was supposed to use a 48" bar diffusor in the back behind the seats, when I went to order it, I found out it cost almost $300.

I contacted a local hvac wholesaler and bought two no name brand 24" heavy duty floor vents for $80. I'll use them end to end and figure (hope) it should do the same job as a 48" Nailor.

post #113 of 358 Old 05-26-2012, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 57
How's that screen coming along? Come on, its 9:52 AM where I am, so my calculations, it must be at least 7 PM there, you must have it hung by now?
post #114 of 358 Old 05-26-2012, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

How's that screen coming along? Come on, its 9:52 AM where I am, so my calculations, it must be at least 7 PM there, you must have it hung by now?

The good news: Woolly and I got the screen put together fairly painlessly. The instructions that James includes with the screens are the non AT screen instructions, with non AT pictures, but then includes footnotes if you have an AT screen. We didn't know that, and due to poor reading comprehension and going off photos rather than words, we did a few things wrong the first time. After realizing this and fully reading the instructions, we got it put together. (don't be like us, read the instructions fully before starting!)

The bad news: James sent me the wrong size screen. I ordered a 10' wide 2.4:1 screen, what I received is a 10.55' wide 2.52:1 screen.

The not as good as the good news: I called James, he answered right away, I told him the issue and he is going to get new top and bottoms sent off to me in a few days. I should be able to re-use the sides and the fabric.

The quality of the frame seems just fine. Learning from others past mistakes, I used a hand screwdriver when assembling so I wouldn't over tighten and strip out the wood screws and the frame. I did pre-drill very small pilot holes for the wood screws. The quality of the black velvet James uses seems good.

I spent some time working on the curve at the front of the stage and I hope to complete that today and get the stage top put on. I tried to match the stage curve to my proscenium curve and I think I came close:

I think when it is carpeted it should look like Jesto's stage did in his Bethesda build:

post #115 of 358 Old 05-26-2012, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Odd about the wrong size frame - were you thinking 10' wide total (including frame) and he was thinking 10' wide viewable?

Remember to spray those vertical supports flat black - they do show through the screen material if you don't.
post #116 of 358 Old 05-26-2012, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Nope we were pretty set on 10' viewable, he just made some kind of mistake. I don't need it immediately and he said he would have a replacement made and sent out in a few days, so it shouldn't be too big of a deal. I am glad I didn't wait a couple weeks and assemble it the day I want to hang it and watch a movie!

If you look close to the picture, they are sprayed black, it came that way so I think he has refined his process somewhere along the way.

post #117 of 358 Old 05-26-2012, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you look close to the picture, they are sprayed black, it came that way so I think he has refined his process somewhere along the way.

Ah makes sense, now that he's offering the precut Seymour material as an option (I bought and cut my material separately, and had him make a custom frame with the two center supports, and no material).
post #118 of 358 Old 05-28-2012, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I spy some theater seats anxiously awaiting a new home.

Could you take a closeup pic of the back of your screen frame? I'd like to have a better idea of how the wood trim and aluminum frame come together and overall method of assembly.

I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a screen and the Jamestown frame is at the top of my list due to price. However, with the high humidity here in Houston, I have some reservations about the wood trim. Do you think the aluminum frame will help keep things squared up?

The simplicity of the grommet and o-ring system on the Seymour frames is very appealing, but it comes at a price. I'm also waiting for a quote from SMX, but I'm guessing that will be even higher than Seymour.

Good luck wrapping up the stage. It looks great!
post #119 of 358 Old 05-28-2012, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

The simplicity of the grommet and o-ring system on the Seymour frames is very appealing, but it comes at a price.

The Jamestown method is pretty simple as well - screen fabric is notched, and is held between the wood (poplar I believe) frame and the square aluminum tubing, by screws every 6" or so. To adjust tension, you just loosen a screw or two, pull the fabric tight, and tighten the screws.
post #120 of 358 Old 05-28-2012, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

The Jamestown method is pretty simple as well - screen fabric is notched, and is held between the wood (poplar I believe) frame and the square aluminum tubing, by screws every 6" or so. To adjust tension, you just loosen a screw or two, pull the fabric tight, and tighten the screws.

Thanks, Brad. I forgot you have been down this road before and already had a screen thread. I think I'll try Jamestown and put my savings into my surround speakers.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Theater Solutions

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page