Omaha Theater #5 - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 358 Old 06-24-2012, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I was hoping I could stand my Danley upright but it looks like I will have to use it on its side as you did. It is just a bit too tall to make a very good speaker stand but I'll have to at least use it for the center, I plan on standing the center upside down to keep the tweeter closer to ear level. I also have to decide if I am going to have port facing forward as you did or if I can get away with port facing the wall (only have about 4 1/2" clearance behind it so that probably won't work).

IMG_1342.jpg

My perpetual home theater build - Omaha Theater #5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 358 Old 06-24-2012, 09:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Great looking build so far. I really like your choice of carpet color. biggrin.gif
post #183 of 358 Old 06-26-2012, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Anders came over to lend a hand last night. I wanted some help to figure out how high to hang the screen, and it is impossible to safely move that screen by yourself. The frame is split down the center and held together with a piece of metal bracing that is connected to the wood frame by 5 small wood screws.

Standard wisdom is hang the screen so eyeline is 1/3 of the way up the screen. I have two rows of seating and when we tried the 1/3 distance for the front row, the back row couldn' see the bottom of the picture. We had to raise it up a bit to come to a happy medium where both rows can see it. The only issue now is if the front row is not reclined, and the seat behind it is reclined, but I don't know if there is a solution to that one. I may still add a couple 2x4's to the floor in the back row, and mount the four seats on top of those, that will give another inch and a half of height without having to raise the entire platform.

Anders owns the same projector that I have, so I leveraged his expertise and we temporarily mounted the projector on top of a stack of toolboxes, he balanced it and dialed in the zoom and focus and we tried out a movie. For just a few minutes of work and a hacked together setup, it looked great! I may have to mount the projector sooner than I was planning biggrin.gif

post #184 of 358 Old 06-26-2012, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 102
If you mount that PJ, your screen will still be propped up on books and stilts in 2013.smile.gif

I like the idea of a few 2x4s under your back row. Nobody will ever notice.
post #185 of 358 Old 06-26-2012, 08:59 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

If you mount that PJ, your screen will still be propped up on books and stilts in 2013.smile.gif

+1

I like the way it looks. It's coming along nicely. Now, I can't remember but are you going to do fabric framing? How soon til you start on that if you're doing that route?

Skyrun Cinema Build-Speakers done and positioned. 7/2 THTLP done. Fabric Frames going on now.

post #186 of 358 Old 06-28-2012, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Jman - yes fabric frames. I have the materials, just need the time to assemble them. I'm working at the Olympic swim trials all this week, so it will be a while, maybe some night next week I'll have some time free. My wife's due date is coming up fast too.

Brad, since you have the same speakers that I do, I'd like your opinion on using them as surrounds. I am doing 7.1 but I only have 2 of the chase speakers for surrounds, for the other pair I have some Emotiva:

Do you think it is ok to mix and match like that and which pair would be better on the side and which for the back? I think the Emotiva can be set to bipole or dipole mode, not sure which is applicable here.

post #187 of 358 Old 06-28-2012, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 57
With that setup I would do dipole Emotivas for side surrounds, and direct radiators in the rear. I'd probably also hook them up first temporarily, run Audyssey/MCACC/YPAO, and test to verify that the voicing is sufficiently similar when panning.
post #188 of 358 Old 06-30-2012, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

With that setup I would do dipole Emotivas for side surrounds, and direct radiators in the rear. I'd probably also hook them up first temporarily, run Audyssey/MCACC/YPAO, and test to verify that the voicing is sufficiently similar when panning.

Looking great Chris!

I keep jogging by your house with Kaiser but you are either hiding or never there, and I don't know if I should break in the back door to check out your progress.

Agree with Brad, everything I've read says do the dipoles on the sides and direct radiators in the rear....especially for skinny and long rooms.
post #189 of 358 Old 07-02-2012, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerOmaha View Post

Looking great Chris!
I keep jogging by your house with Kaiser but you are either hiding or never there, and I don't know if I should break in the back door to check out your progress.

You must work weird hours because we are almost always home. If the SUV is in the driveway, I'm home. I think Desertdome is coming over tonight to help me try and get the Danley working. Stop over if you aren't at work.

Over the weekend I made some of the frames that surround the screen, they are wrapped with the black velvet from Joanns. The first one we made had some wrinkles, we didn't have our technique down but we got better after that. I tried to get some pictures of the whole screen wall but it is now so dark in there that it's tough to photograph.

post #190 of 358 Old 07-02-2012, 12:34 PM

I'm excited that you're getting close to being done just like me. So, you plan on being finished by the end of the month? Anyways, It's looking great. Are you going to do the whole furring strips first approach and then put on your frames? I've been reviewing the Gpowers thread and I noticed one individual did it a little differently, just basically putting the batting and insulation up on the wall and then forming the frames exactly to what he needed. Here's the link. quick Fabric Frame method. Look at post 578. I'm pretty sure that I will be doing it this way, because, 1, it cuts down on materials needed, 2, time required to do this will be significantly less, and 3, the frames will be easier to remove if wiring or other adjustments are needed. All of these things fit my needs so this will likely be the route I go except that I will be using industrial strength velcro for sure to mount it to the wall.

Skyrun Cinema Build-Speakers done and positioned. 7/2 THTLP done. Fabric Frames going on now.

post #191 of 358 Old 07-02-2012, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I can pretty safely say I do not think I will be done by the end of the month. We've got a baby due mid month and in-laws coming to stay with us. I'll check that link out, I was planning to build the frames, cut the insulation squares to friction fit inside the frame, then use industrial velcro to stick the frames to the wall.

post #192 of 358 Old 07-02-2012, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I am thinking about using velcro as well for the soffit bottoms and wall panels once I get to that point. Will be watching to see how they work out for you.
post #193 of 358 Old 07-03-2012, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Desertdome came over last night and helped me get the Danley hooked up and working for the first time. We have not calibrated anything yet, it was running too hot compared to the mains, and we had it cranked up pretty loudly. It only took a few minutes for my wife to come downstairs and tell us to turn it down, she said it felt like an earthquake upstairs and stuff was rattling on the walls.

post #194 of 358 Old 07-03-2012, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebrunner View Post

Desertdome came over last night and helped me get the Danley hooked up and working for the first time. We have not calibrated anything yet, it was running too hot compared to the mains, and we had it cranked up pretty loudly. It only took a few minutes for my wife to come downstairs and tell us to turn it down, she said it felt like an earthquake upstairs and stuff was rattling on the walls.

That sounds about right. biggrin.gif Exciting!

The Esquire Theater Construction Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1289590
post #195 of 358 Old 07-03-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:

Yep, I just hooked up my THTLP and the bass was certainly earth shattering. But it's a nice feeling to get things like that up and running.

post #196 of 358 Old 07-03-2012, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Your theater and minibar area certainly show the work you put into this project. I'm disappointed we didn't have more time to get that DTS10 figured out (WIRING!) @ the GTG in October, but nice to see my original advice should work out! You'll have bass in spades with the JTR and Danley.
post #197 of 358 Old 07-03-2012, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 272
The theater looks great in person! Nebrunner has really done a nice job of picking the colors and materials for his theater and the rest of his basement. It as already very quiet in the theater, but the addition of the rest of the acoustic treatments should help out even more. The chairs were very comfortable and the image seemed to be positioned perfectly. The velvet covered frames also look very nice. You can tell a lot of thought went into the room. Now if we could just get some better pictures! biggrin.gif Nebrunner, get that camera out and put it on a tripod. HuskerOmaha can bring his over and help take some pictures.

It was fun to listen to the DTS-10 once it was finally connected properly. It is going to sound very good with the DTS-10/Growler combo. Just for reference, for the DTS-10 we used a 35 Hz low pass and the Growler had a 40 Hz high pass at Subfest 2011. We actually ended up with a decent frequency response then. It's too bad the DTS-10 drivers were in phase and cancelling each out - especially as the volume was turned up. Below are the frequency response charts from the GTG.

By the way, I found out the nebrunner owns the DTS-10 that Josh Ricci tested. You can see more pictures of it at data-bass.com.

Before EQ (DTS-10 has recommended filters per Danley)

After EQ
post #198 of 358 Old 07-03-2012, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

I'd sell you my SHO-10s for your sides if you bought all 3........................
post #199 of 358 Old 07-03-2012, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked: 785
What's this I heard? The next midwest subwoofer get together is at nebrunner's house staring the working DTS-10?

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #200 of 358 Old 07-05-2012, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the kind words, I am glad the DTS-10 worked out after all, it is probably overkill, I am never going to be able to utilize more than 25% of it's potential, I'm baffled by the guys on this board that have more than one of them in their rooms.

I got another velvet wrapped front frame done yesterday, now the top, bottom and right side of the screen are done, once I get the left panel built I can move on to the columns.

The projector is sitting on top of a stack of boxes and I have been using my htpc as a source for some testing. The htpc has all of my blurays ripped to it using makemkv. I have it zoomed out so that 2.35:1 material fills the screen and 1.78:1, 1.85:1, 4:3 material etc, all spill over the top and the bottom onto the black velvet masking.

My plan was to set the permanent resolution on the htpc to 1920x800 or 1920x817, not have it zoomed, and then I thought the scope movies would fill the whole panel and match the screen, and smaller aspect ratio movies would get shrunk down by the htpc and fit the screen. I'd lose some resolution on the smaller aspect ratio shows, but it should be good enough for now until I upgrade to a projector that does auto-zoom.

I tried setting it up that way and it worked perfectly for the 1.85:1, 1.78:1 shows, but all of the 2.35:1 were being shrunk and displayed with black bars on all sides. It was hard to figure out what was going on, there isn't a lot of info out there about this kind of thing, I guess the market is small for constant image height using an older projector and people who want to use their pc to shrink their source material. What I think is going on is that the blurays I transferred to the htpc, the black bars on the top nad bottom are actual black images that are included in the source. I'm going to try and use handbrake to re-encode the images while cropping out the black bars, then project them and hopefully the image fills the screen.

post #201 of 358 Old 07-05-2012, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

That after EQ chart looks dead sexy. biggrin.gif

Re: HTPC and shrink - what HTPC software are you using? If XBMC, maybe you can try the approach I've been using, which has worked out well for me. I have a (deliberately) odd ball screen aspect ratio of 2.125:1 - Constant Image Area. I run standard 1080 resolution from the HTPC to the projector (via AVR); I set my zoom on the projector as if I was going to watch Cinemascope content (with black bars top and bottom overhanging the top and bottom of the screen boundaries); then in XBMC, I use the "Video Calibration" feature to set the "viewport" within which XBMC limits content to match my physical screen size. What this does is the dashboard fills the 2.125:1 screen, Cinemascope movies fill the width (and have top and bottom bars in my case), 16:9 movies fill the height (with left and right bars). Works great! (if you don't mind that for 16:9 movies you lose resolution - my visual acuity isn't perfect enough to notice).

Except: in the nightly build I'm currently using (to get HD audio support), they seem to have broken the ability to save the video calibration, so I have to reset it each time I restart XBMC. Either that or maybe its trying to write the config, and maybe I have a folder that ended up not having write privilege? Not sure, I need to check the error log and see if it gives me any hints. I did see a couple other folks mention the same issue on the forums though. Didn't have this problem when I was using the "Dharma" official release.
post #202 of 358 Old 07-05-2012, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Brad I've been using Media Browser on my HTPC because XBMC doesn't (or didn't when I built my pc) support bitstreaming the HD Audio. Now that I'm reading up on handbrake, it looks like it doesn't support HD audio either, so I'm going to have to figure something else out. There are some less mainstream programs that might support HD audio, I need to look more into staxrip and dvdfab. It might all be more effort than it's worth and I should just stick with manually zooming for now.

post #203 of 358 Old 07-05-2012, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

XBMC does support HD audio now
post #204 of 358 Old 07-05-2012, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

quote name="Brad Horstkotte" url="/t/1355650/omaha-theater-5/180#post_22192871"]XBMC does support HD audio now[/quote]

+1 on that.

Then again, even knowing that, I switched to J River Media Center after desertdome told me it could play all of my mt2s, mkv, whatever you want it to files.

Oh, and be the level setter, DSP studio, parabolic/shelf/crossover/equalizer. That stuff was cool too. smile.gif
post #205 of 358 Old 07-05-2012, 10:06 PM

Quote:

Brad I've been using Media Browser on my HTPC because XBMC doesn't (or didn't when I built my pc) support bitstreaming the HD Audio. Now that I'm reading up on handbrake, it looks like it doesn't support HD audio either, so I'm going to have to figure something else out. There are some less mainstream programs that might support HD audio, I need to look more into staxrip and dvdfab. It might all be more effort than it's worth and I should just stick with manually zooming for now.

Hold off on your who as and I'll tell you that Handbrake does support it but you have to know what options to choose. When I come over tomorrow I'll show you how to fix your aspect ratio issues and the file ripping issues. Then of course I will share that here as well.

post #206 of 358 Old 07-06-2012, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I tried Staxrip last night and couldn't get it to do what I need to do. Maybe the problem is that all of my movies have already been turned into MKV's. Took me a year to get them all moved onto the HTPC.

Desertdome gave me a Jriver license, I may give that a try, he says it has a lot of built in aspect ratio controls.

post #207 of 358 Old 07-06-2012, 11:36 AM

So, since I won't be over there today, I will give you some ideas on how I do mine. I use Slysoft's AnyDVDHD and that's a bit expensive but I love the service and it works wonderfully for decoding. Now, if you're just going to make MKV's MakeMKV does well too but like you saw it has some kinks in the lines that don't detect aspect ration well. However, if you use DVDFab or AnyDVDHD as your background decoder, then you can just use Handbrake. It's sort of user friendly but there's a lot under the hood. So, it will automatically detect the right aspect ratio. Just make sure you tick of maintain aspect ratio. The next thing is you have to choose the anamorphic setting. This embeds the code in the file telling it to squash the frame to 1920*1080 but to expand it when output. This is the proper way to do it. You could leave it unchecked, but then you're actually losing detail and it won't encode correctly. Most won't notice until you play the two files after each other. As for the sound. The only way that the HD passthru's work is if you have the file container as mkv. Anything else and it won't do it. You also need to select the track you want and then select HD passthru or something similar. I would do screen shots but I'm at work. I'll try to do it tomorrow if I have time. This combo of steps should set you up very well. When I'm over I'll show some other things and here I will post it when I get the chance. Hope that helps.

post #208 of 358 Old 07-06-2012, 11:37 AM

Oh, I forgot. Anamorphic setting is strict and not loose. Loose is good for deresing it to like iPod formats.

post #209 of 358 Old 07-07-2012, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm working on the last frame for the front screen wall, this one has a switch along side it so it's a little more complicated than the others were.

700\

The front wall is getting so dark that I can't get a good picture of it, I need Huskeromaha to come over with his good camera and tripod so we can get some decent photos. Immortaljman is going to come over some day soon and we'll get the projector hung. Tomorrow I'll be starting work on the columns.

post #210 of 358 Old 07-09-2012, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I got the surrounds out to work on getting them mounted and wired. The Emotivas have a lot of different configurations, they can be set to left side di-pole or right side di-pole. Greg or Brad or someone who has used di-poles, do you know if I should set both sides of the room to the same, to opposite, or if it matters?

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Theater Solutions

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page