New House, because I love this stuff. - Page 12 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #331 of 606 Old 04-23-2012, 06:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I joined this forum just to watch this thread and eventually post a comment praising the OP for his creativity, design prowess, and technical superiority but alas, the incredible build posts have seemingly stopped coming. I hope all is well and your work towards completion continues. This is undoubtedly the most technically sophisticated build I have ever seen.

Looking forward to more with great anticipation and wonder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 606 Old 04-24-2012, 10:27 AM

BrittonYoder, You are a beast designer. Taking your time out of your busy schedule to explain what's going on is amazing. I salute with my hat off!

I have couple of questions, hopefully you get the chance to reply. I see that you used lots of HC200 and HC300 at each TV location. what is the primary purpose of these HC200 at each TV location? Are they only providing GUI for the users?

2). The Atlona matrix is a beast. My question for you on this is that does each room have access to all the gadgets in the media rack? If so, can each room view different videos at the same time?

3)I see you stacked some of the HCs in the media rack for various reasons, how do their respective location access the controllers? How did you connect the wires?

4) what do you use the HC1000 for?

5) I am currently working on my automation and I'm looking close to what you have done. My audio matrix is currently controlled my audiorequest with 8 zones but I'm having problem configuring my a/v. Right now I have hmdi cable, component, 4 cat5e, and 5 cat6 ran from each tv location (i know I over killed it) into the media closet. I can send same video output to all tvs at the same time, but I want a design where all tv location can view different video output from the mediarack. what will be the best way to handle this?

6) I am getting ready to integrate the HC1000 into my automation. I know it has a faster processor, Is this enought to automate the whole house by itself or should I add some hc200 to tv location? what's ur intake on this?
post #333 of 606 Old 04-24-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasbie View Post

1) I have couple of questions, hopefully you get the chance to reply. I see that you used lots of HC200 and HC300 at each TV location. what is the primary purpose of these HC200 at each TV location? Are they only providing GUI for the users?

2). The Atlona matrix is a beast. My question for you on this is that does each room have access to all the gadgets in the media rack? If so, can each room view different videos at the same time?

3)I see you stacked some of the HCs in the media rack for various reasons, how do their respective location access the controllers? How did you connect the wires?

5) I am currently working on my automation and I'm looking close to what you have done. My audio matrix is currently controlled my audiorequest with 8 zones but I'm having problem configuring my a/v. Right now I have hmdi cable, component, 4 cat5e, and 5 cat6 ran from each tv location (i know I over killed it) into the media closet. I can send same video output to all tvs at the same time, but I want a design where all tv location can view different video output from the mediarack. what will be the best way to handle this?

6) I am getting ready to integrate the HC1000 into my automation. I know it has a faster processor, Is this enought to automate the whole house by itself or should I add some hc200 to tv location? what's ur intake on this?

I'll answer a few questions for you.

1) I believe so.
2) Each room has access to the goodies in the rack. They matrix between 2 DirecTV boxes, a Sony BD Changer, 2 Xboxes, a single disc BD player, the camera DVR, and computer. So any room can view any of these sources. That said, there are two caveats. First, each source can only output one signal. IE, if one room is watching the BD changer, another room can't watch a different BD from the changer. Second, there are TVs that are bound together. There are pairs that can only watch the same source, because they are both being driven by the same output on the matrix.
3) The controllers in the rack are being fed to the TVs by means of baluns. He ran component video to from the rack to the TV and the TVs just access the input.
4) No idea. It's his master controller but I don't know what subsystems it interacts with, beyond AV.
5) If I understand what you're asking and you want to put all your source components in the rack and have different TVs access them, the best way is a matrix. That can be pricey. The alternative is get individual source components for each TV and rack them. So you'd rack a DVR for each TV, and BD player for each TV you want one at, etc.
6) I'm not sure. If I understand C4 correctly, which I'm sure I don't, a HC1000 is a master controller, capable of controlling the whole house. The HC200 can access and interface with the HC1000, but it's also capable of a small installation, such as controlling a theater room's lighting, components, thermostat, etc.
post #334 of 606 Old 04-24-2012, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrittonYoder View Post

Wiring Plan:

Exercise -
·***** Coax for cameras
·***** Dual Cat-5 for balun
·***** Dual Cat-5 for data
·***** Dual Cat-5 for phone/ Data
·***** In-Ceiling Speakers
·***** Back feed from HC-200

what do you mean by "back feed from hc200"? back feed from what to where? And what is the primary function of this feed? Thanks
post #335 of 606 Old 04-24-2012, 09:55 PM

thanks JTR7. you answered all my questions. thanks so much.
post #336 of 606 Old 04-28-2012, 02:08 PM

ok, this may sound stupid, but what is the difference between control4 audio distribution amp and control4 audio matrix?
post #337 of 606 Old 05-23-2012, 05:25 AM

Looks amazing mate keep up the great work
post #338 of 606 Old 06-14-2012, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 79
bmup.jpg

Any updates?

-

Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
post #339 of 606 Old 07-13-2012, 01:36 PM

Liked: 13
Any updates????
post #340 of 606 Old 07-13-2012, 06:43 PM

i gotta say this is one of the best threads...ever! the design of everything is just so clean and the house is stunning. great job, keep it up!
post #341 of 606 Old 07-24-2012, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 31
IM BACK!

Check out my whole house build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #342 of 606 Old 07-24-2012, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I've been working on and off on this project but have been covered up with 60 hour work weeks and other house projects. I want to respond to some comments since the last time I was on here and then share some other projects with everyone including a clean-room/ server room and distributed A/V system my boss asked me to build at the office, then I will give some progress updates on the system.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #343 of 606 Old 07-24-2012, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanielfelt View Post

Just wanted to thank the OP for sharing your home with me (us). It really opened my eyes to what can be done with the whole HA thing. I'm currently in the process of purchasing a new home, and this thread really got the wheels turning in my head as to what I would like to do with it in the future.

It would have been nice to get in on the build a bit sooner than we did to have extra wiring run. As it stands, only the bare minimum was done... A few strands of RG6 and CAT5 here and there. At least the basement is unfinished making it a bit easier to run the necessary wiring for distributed A/V.

Kudos to you and thanks for sharing.

Cat-5/6 is all you need in most cases. I am only using half of my runs. Thanks for the encouragement.

post #344 of 606 Old 07-24-2012, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfntwo View Post

I joined this forum just to watch this thread and eventually post a comment praising the OP for his creativity, design prowess, and technical superiority but alas, the incredible build posts have seemingly stopped coming. I hope all is well and your work towards completion continues. This is undoubtedly the most technically sophisticated build I have ever seen.

Looking forward to more with great anticipation and wonder.

Sorry to keep you waiting....

I appreciate the encouraging words, they give me the inspiration to keep pushing this project forward.

post #345 of 606 Old 07-24-2012, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasbie View Post

BrittonYoder, You are a beast designer. Taking your time out of your busy schedule to explain what's going on is amazing. I salute with my hat off!

I have couple of questions, hopefully you get the chance to reply. I see that you used lots of HC200 and HC300 at each TV location. what is the primary purpose of these HC200 at each TV location? Are they only providing GUI for the users?

Hopefully, the answers given previously gave you some of the answers you were looking for, but Ill take a crack at them.

1) The local controllers provide GUI's on each of the TVs. I probably wouldn't do this again for the non-primary displays, but I set out to build this system without any corners being cut.

2) Yes, all the rooms can function independently. When you hit "watch" in each of the rooms there are lots of optons, almost too much.

3) There are some locations where it didn't make sense to have controllers locally. For example outside, in the bathrooms, tv's with articulating arms, and the theater. I ran component video to these tvs or used cat-6 for a video balun.

4) The HC-1000 handles all the logic. Has been replaced by the 800. I will probably upgrade.

5) Buy a HDMI matrix, I would start by looking at the monoprice 4x4 with baluns included. This is under $400 and I used it at work and was very pleased with the reliability. My matrix is more capable as it can support 16 tvs, but also carries a 9k price tag.

6) Start with a HC-1000/800, one 200 or 300 or 250, and an IO extender. Don't worry about the gui on all the tvs.

post #346 of 606 Old 07-24-2012, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasbie View Post

ok, this may sound stupid, but what is the difference between control4 audio distribution amp and control4 audio matrix?
d

Good question:

The matrix is 16x16 and is unpowered on the output side, so run RCA to amplifiers. The dist amp is 8x8 and the output is amplified.

post #347 of 606 Old 07-24-2012, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Ok so to share some updates I think I have mentioned in the past.

I tore out the old fireplace so the TV could sit lower. Here is where I am at. I still need to clean things up and I have built a simple white mantel shelf to block heat from rising into the TV, still need to hang that.

post #348 of 606 Old 07-24-2012, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I gave the hardwoods a nice new finish even though the house is new. They clean much better now.

post #349 of 606 Old 07-24-2012, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

557777_4230675453607_1292867319_n.jpg

We live by a principle known as 5s at work. I am trying to apply the same principles at home to be more efficient with my projects.

The 5 S's

There are five primary 5S phases: sorting, straightening, systematic cleaning, standardizing, and sustaining.

Sorting (Seiri)

Eliminate all unnecessary tools, parts, and instructions. Go through all tools, materials, and so forth in the plant and work area. Keep only essential items and eliminate what is not required, prioritizing things per requirements and keeping them in easily-accessible places. Everything else is stored or discarded.

Stabilizing or Straightening Out (Seiton)

There should be a place for everything and everything should be in its place. The place for each item should be clearly indicated.

Sweeping or Shining (Seiso)

Standardized cleaning-point at a 5S organized plant
Clean the workspace and all equipment, and keep it clean, tidy and organized. At the end of each shift, clean the work area and be sure everything is restored to its place. This makes it easy to know what goes where and ensures that everything is where it belongs. Spills, leaks, and other messes also then become a visual signal for equipment or process steps that need attention. A key point is that maintaining cleanliness should be part of the daily work – not an occasional activity initiated when things get too messy.

Standardizing (Seiketsu)

Work practices should be consistent and standardized. All work stations for a particular job should be identical. All employees doing the same job should be able to work in any station with the same tools that are in the same location in every station. Everyone should know exactly what his or her responsibilities are for adhering to the first 3 S's.

Sustaining the Practice (Shitsuke)

Maintain and review standards. Once the previous 4 S's have been established, they become the new way to operate. Maintain focus on this new way and do not allow a gradual decline back to the old ways. While thinking about the new way, also be thinking about yet better ways. When an issue arises such as a suggested improvement, a new way of working, a new tool or a new output requirement, review the first 4 S's and make changes as appropriate.It should be made as a habit and be continually improved.

What this looks like at work

DallasKnox likes this.

post #350 of 606 Old 07-24-2012, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

179571_4230673213551_427406298_n.jpg

In the principle of 5s, I have been trying to create proper work and storage places. I epoxied the garages and I am in the process of creating a sustainable work space.

post #351 of 606 Old 07-24-2012, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I enameled all the trim so that it would be easy to clean and look clean with dust.

post #352 of 606 Old 07-24-2012, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

559304_4303549715418_1053958023_n.jpg

This will look much better when I am done.

post #353 of 606 Old 07-24-2012, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

582768_4230675053597_1243067382_n.jpg

Remember my storage room idea? Well here it is, it took me three weekends.

post #354 of 606 Old 07-24-2012, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

541050_4230673813566_456193226_n.jpg

I had to re-support the floors with new joists. This raised the floor a bit.. I am lucky to have a wife who stuck it out in the hot attic to help me with this.

post #355 of 606 Old 07-24-2012, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

555857_4303549195405_1106106836_n.jpg

Area insulated and electrical ran.. Duct work for office below will allow installation of blast gates for room cooling when needed.

post #356 of 606 Old 07-24-2012, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

428943_4230672293528_1859163984_n.jpg

Side Project: 5s

Even the cats have their own poo storage space. I built and installed this door which goes to the closet under the stairs where the litter boxes are stored. I need to pull an outlet to the space, but I have installed a hepa with charcole membrane to keep the space clean and fresh. Additionally, once the cats enter the door, they have to walk through a series of inclines, decilines, and finally squeeze through brushes to get to and from the litter box. This has been very successful in keeping all litter contained. The space has motion triggered lighting and air filtration.

post #357 of 606 Old 07-24-2012, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

535579_3830019837467_274411932_n.jpg

My wife got me a new toy. I am enjoying the heck out of it and love the diesel. 2012 VW touareg. Installed a great audio system in it. I will post some pictures.

post #358 of 606 Old 07-24-2012, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

This is the finished room.

481114_4335188266362_1188307794_n.jpg

427556_4335190266412_1319432549_n.jpg

480720_4335195866552_530457068_n.jpg

post #359 of 606 Old 07-24-2012, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well time for bed.. more to come.

post #360 of 606 Old 07-25-2012, 05:20 AM

Awesome, thanks for the updates!

Where do you (or your work) get those tool sorting trays? I've been wanting to do something like that with all my tools forever!
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page