New House, because I love this stuff. - Page 13 - AVS Forum
First ... 11  12  13 14  15  ... Last
Dedicated Theater Design & Construction > New House, because I love this stuff.
mickusa's Avatar mickusa 07:26 AM 07-25-2012
Ok so I just managed to reattach my Jaw to my face ( I was unaware a it could hit the floor that hard ) But this is by far the most amazing personal home AV build I have ever seen, and then just when I think this build cannot get any more insane, I read about the cat door. I checked out after that, got up, walked off and cried in a corner for ten minutes psychotically whimpering “It’s TOO BeautiFUL.. It’s just too BeauTifUl”

Way to go dude... way to frigging go!!!wink.gif

NickTheGreat's Avatar NickTheGreat 08:45 AM 07-25-2012
This has GOT to be one of the best threads on AVS. I love it! cool.gif
Profiled's Avatar Profiled 08:27 PM 07-25-2012
Amazing work.

Can you imagine the luck(unlucky?) soul who purchases this has should Britton decide to sell the house...
mlk2106's Avatar mlk2106 01:37 PM 07-26-2012
Wow this is an amazing build...three things:

1. I hate New Jersey (a build like that in the area of NJ I live would cost in excess of $1 million, easy)
2. Good thing you dont have kids yet, cuz none of this would be possible with children under the age of 13 (any free time you have is officially theirs) wink.gif
3. Your cats breathe better air than me!! LOL

great job looking forward to checking the progress.
BrittonYoder's Avatar BrittonYoder 10:14 PM 07-26-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckellyusa View Post

Awesome, thanks for the updates!
Where do you (or your work) get those tool sorting trays? I've been wanting to do something like that with all my tools forever!

I will find out. Its a pretty cool process, they send you a template that you trace onto and then they send back the product. It keeps things organized and makes sure you don't loose any tools at home and lets you hold people accountable at work.
BrittonYoder's Avatar BrittonYoder 10:16 PM 07-26-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickusa View Post

Ok so I just managed to reattach my Jaw to my face ( I was unaware a it could hit the floor that hard ) But this is by far the most amazing personal home AV build I have ever seen, and then just when I think this build cannot get any more insane, I read about the cat door. I checked out after that, got up, walked off and cried in a corner for ten minutes psychotically whimpering “It’s TOO BeautiFUL.. It’s just too BeauTifUl”
Way to go dude... way to frigging go!!!wink.gif

Thanks you made me laugh. The cat door was kind of funny, I stepped on a piece of litter in the hallway, got frustrated and just went out to the garage and started building and it just kind of happened.
BrittonYoder's Avatar BrittonYoder 10:20 PM 07-26-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Profiled View Post

Amazing work.
Can you imagine the luck(unlucky?) soul who purchases this has should Britton decide to sell the house...

Oh how many times that thought has crossed my mind. I had a pretty cool build on here under "you said a bestbuy employee couldn't do anything right". When I got a new job and we decided to sell that house, it was so much work to get it ready for someone to come into with "Normal" electronics. I think I ended up there for two days helping them. Can't imagine this.
BrittonYoder's Avatar BrittonYoder 10:22 PM 07-26-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlk2106 View Post

Wow this is an amazing build...three things:
1. I hate New Jersey (a build like that in the area of NJ I live would cost in excess of $1 million, easy)
2. Good thing you dont have kids yet, cuz none of this would be possible with children under the age of 13 (any free time you have is officially theirs) wink.gif
3. Your cats breathe better air than me!! LOL
great job looking forward to checking the progress.

I wonder how people make it on the east coast, its a different league out there with income/ cost of living. I wish I had the time I used to so I could finish this project more quickly, my job has been very demanding during the past six months.
BrittonYoder's Avatar BrittonYoder 10:23 PM 07-26-2012
So to continue with the trickle of non-av related projects that have been delaying my progression.
BrittonYoder's Avatar BrittonYoder 10:26 PM 07-26-2012

My backyard was an unusable hill on a creek. I originally planned to create a small patio until there was a bulldozer and a bunch of dirt that became available. This is after I added the dirt.
BrittonYoder's Avatar BrittonYoder 10:28 PM 07-26-2012

This is the view down to the creek.

While I was at it, I built my wife a garden..
BrittonYoder's Avatar BrittonYoder 10:32 PM 07-26-2012

I think my cat is part of the construction cat union, what other explanation could there be for for a cat who has on-the-job perks like getting your name sewn into the seat.
BrittonYoder's Avatar BrittonYoder 10:35 PM 07-26-2012

I rented a smaller machine to dig post holes for a pergola beams, trenches for gas, electric, and sprinklers. Then it broke down, as you can see I am trying to jump start it with my wife's honda accord.
BrittonYoder's Avatar BrittonYoder 10:39 PM 07-26-2012

So after the machine breakdown it got really hot and humid in Texas and I decided I didn't want to work on the back for a while. I need to start again, this will be home to the outside theater. I am going to install a large concrete tile patio, wood posts with sail cloth shades, misters, waterfall, surround sound, 55" TV. Eventually Ill put a retaining wall when I can afford it, I received one quote for 17k to do poured concrete.
BrittonYoder's Avatar BrittonYoder 10:44 PM 07-26-2012

I found these stones and figured there is nothing better than free and we made a planter border. We knocked this out in a day when my wife's family and my cousin (who has a really cool build on here with c4) were in town visiting. Also nothing like free help.
BrittonYoder's Avatar BrittonYoder 10:49 PM 07-26-2012

This is my Touareg project. I have been really happy with my new car, but the sound system it came with was horrible. I decided to take on putting better speakers and amps in while keeping the oem dash and controls in tact. This probably took more then 40 man hours and I still have the rear speakers and sub to install.

Pictures: I had to take the seat out to get to the battery. I have never seen such a big battery, I hear this is common in diesels.
BrittonYoder's Avatar BrittonYoder 10:51 PM 07-26-2012

There was a pretty cool conduit which allowed for the power to be run a little easier.
BrittonYoder's Avatar BrittonYoder 10:53 PM 07-26-2012

All interior panels had to be removed.

I was able to install the electronics in a void under the cargo space. So you cannot see that the vehicle has been altered.
BrittonYoder's Avatar BrittonYoder 10:57 PM 07-26-2012

The speakers were very difficult to install. You can see the OEM chinese paper garbage and the plastic spacer that was used. I had to make spacers since there was nothing on the market that thick. I got them installed and noticed that spaces had to be cut out of my homemade spacer rings to allow the door panels to have clearance.
cdika17's Avatar cdika17 10:59 PM 07-26-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrittonYoder View Post

Pictures: I had to take the seat out to get to the battery. I have never seen such a big battery, I hear this is common in diesels.

ummmm, what? Seems a tad inconvenient.
BrittonYoder's Avatar BrittonYoder 11:08 PM 07-26-2012
Well once again more to come, its back doing bids and answering emails for work. I plan on working on a couple of projects this weekend.

1. Install Airport expresses to enlarge wifi coverage, then backfeed audio out of airport to rack so that airplay can be used throughout house and system.
  2. Paint master bedroom and bathroom.
  3. Install special hinges on my wife's bathroom cabinet which will provide a heat proof holster for curling iron and hair dryer. Then run electrical to locations.
  4. Wire manage master bedroom and master bathroom TV.
  5. Install heat lamp above shower. This will be part of the wake up event. Alarm clock goes off and white heat lamps come on above shower area so that morning feet never have to experience cold tile.

Next weekend, I will finish the garage storage project. I have some really cool stainless steel work surfaces that will be the heart of the project. After that I plan to move back to the backyard and get a couple things taken care of there. Then I will tie up loose programming and installation odds and ends for the main system. When this is complete I will start working on the theater.
BrittonYoder's Avatar BrittonYoder 11:11 PM 07-26-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdika17 View Post

ummmm, what? Seems a tad inconvenient.

yeah, I was not impressed with the location, but better than worrying about running a power wire through the firewall. I was referring to the big battery being common if it is a diesel. There are plugs for jumping the car near the engine.
BrittonYoder's Avatar BrittonYoder 11:14 PM 07-26-2012
rob black's Avatar rob black 11:29 PM 07-26-2012
Good Job. Inspires me to finish my project
BrittonYoder's Avatar BrittonYoder 06:41 PM 07-28-2012
I've made a good amount of programming progress this weekend. I completed the final installation of a few wires needed to display the user interface on the televisions as well as provid control via RS-232 or IR. This is the bedroom and family. 2 down, 10+ to go.

BrittonYoder's Avatar BrittonYoder 06:49 PM 07-28-2012
This is an idea I had when we originally built the house. I knew I would need to deploy one or more airport express units as wifi range extenders. I figured I would wire analog audio to the location to allow airplay to be played through the main system. I had to use some wiremold to cover a few feet of lateral run, but there is a piece of furniture that sits in front of this. I just didn't want wires laying on the floor.

Jon_B's Avatar Jon_B 07:53 PM 07-28-2012
That looks pretty slick. I didn't know that something like that existed.
BrittonYoder's Avatar BrittonYoder 12:42 AM 07-29-2012
I'm pretty excited about this one. This is a screenshot of my ipad showing the movie selection interface from the 400 disc ES blu-ray changer. It is currently scanning all the discs, this is just the first couple. When its done, youll be able to search by several different criteria and then watch watch them from anywhere in the house.

BrittonYoder's Avatar BrittonYoder 12:44 AM 07-29-2012
These screenshots are also available as the interface on all the different TVs.
BrittonYoder's Avatar BrittonYoder 12:47 AM 07-29-2012
Here are two more screen shots of the interface. One shows one of several lighting interfaces and the other is the basic control of directv.

First ... 11  12  13 14  15  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop