AVS Forum banner

Chartrand Family Theater Design & Build

38K views 159 replies 37 participants last post by  cdika17 
#1 ·
After almost a year of research and design, construction is about to start.

The theater will be approximately 14 feet wide by 20 feet long. The ceiling is 8.5f eet high. Screen will be a 120 diagonal cinemascope. LCR and main sub will be behind the screen. The room is going to be acoustically treated with Quest panels.

The best thing we have done so far was to hire Dennis Erskine from day 1. I bought the Signature level design from Dennis and I now plan to upgrade to the Reference level (Dennis comes over and calibrates all the A/V gear) The plans, including, framing, acoustics, HVAC, lighting, etc. we got from Dennis are amazing. This was money well spent.

Basic construction will be staggered 2x4 on a 2x6 bottom and top plate with two layers 5/8 drywall with Green Glue. Soffits run all around the theater which will hide all the HVAC.

I started last weekend by removing the existing carpet in the basement and some ceramic tile that was in the way of the new construction.

Before I can start framing, I still have some HVAC ducts to get moved and some plumbing pipes that are in the way of the backer boxes for the pot lights.

Friday PM, I am expecting a delivery for all the materials (drywall, OSB, plywood, insulation, MDF, cement board, lumber, etc.). I was able to pay a little extra to get the delivery guys to bring everything straight to the basement!

Stay tuned for some pics and also the exciting list of gear that Dennis has suggested (Dennis has champagne tastes!).

IMHO, this will be one cool theater!

M

See less See more
#102 ·
The swinging column turned out great. Love the hinges. That is exactly what I have planned in front of my equipment rack.

Are the hinges painted? I didn't see black as one of their available finishes.

#103 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman /forum/post/21861692

The swinging column turned out great. Love the hinges. That is exactly what I have planned in front of my equipment rack.

Are the hinges painted? I didn't see black as one of their available finishes.

no the hinges came like that in black

#104 ·
What r the 4 round, they look like plugs in the equipment room that have the trim plate around them?

Also I see u r using qsc amps for the speakers? One per speaker? Which model u driving the procellas with? Just wondering.

Looks really nice! Really really nice!

#106 ·
Wow nice work! Don't know how I have never seen your build before. Beautiful work so far and nice selection of gear. Looking forward to seeing the final results on this one. Subscribed.

#107 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimim /forum/post/21861798

What r the 4 round, they look like plugs in the equipment room that have the trim plate around them?

Also I see u r using qsc amps for the speakers? One per speaker? Which model u driving the procellas with? Just wondering.

Looks really nice! Really really nice!

Those plugs are flanged outlets. 1 for projector and 3 behind the screen. They will connect in the PowerHouse to feed the plugs to projector and 3 behind the screen.

The QSC I am using are:

two QSC 922UZ

four QSC 1622

one QSC 1824

#108 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimim /forum/post/21861857

The cherry trim used in the office is going in te theatre around the panels in the areas not covered yet I assume?

That's what I'm doing in my build. Dark cherry framed out panels but my columns will be matching cherry. I really like that look.

The Trim is actually cherry wood in the same stain as the kitchen/concession stand (dark espresso)

the office is birch and is not as dark as the cherry

#110 ·
You definitely win for update of the week my friend!
Looks great!

#111 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelmia /forum/post/0

Those plugs are flanged outlets. 1 for projector and 3 behind the screen. They will connect in the PowerHouse to feed the plugs to projector and 3 behind the screen.

The QSC I am using are:

two QSC 922UZ

four QSC 1622

one QSC 1824

So r u using power bridges from Panamax or similar with them since they run from one area to another. Sorry for the follow up question.

#112 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimim /forum/post/21863547

So r u using power bridges from Panamax or similar with them since they run from one area to another. Sorry for the follow up question.

No. You plug one end of an electrical cord in the PowerHouse and the other end (a special female locking connector) into the flanged outlet. This will feed power to the projector plug and the 3 plugs behind the screen.

The reason for doing this as opposed to wiring the plugs directly to an electrical panel is that I can provide constant 120 balanced power to those plugs and also for the projector I can go from the PowerHouse to a UPS battery back up and then to the flanged outlet supplying the projector. Clean, 120v balanced and battery back up power.

#113 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelmia /forum/post/21589380

Carpet is finally installed!

Here is a picture of the Nailor diffusers in the floor. I had these powder coated in flat black. The whole platform acts as a bass trap. The brass plate is a floor mounted plug for the electric recliners

I also installed the step lights tonight.

Where did you get the diffusers and step lights?

Love the progress so far, used ur build for reference a few times, keep it up!

#114 ·
The step lights I got from prolighting.com

As for the diffusers, they are Nailor Diffusers and I bought them directly from my room designer Dennis Erskine.

They cam ein the color white and then I had them powder coated in flat black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdika17 /forum/post/21915969

Where did you get the diffusers and step lights?

Love the progress so far, used ur build for reference a few times, keep it up!

#116 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdika17 /forum/post/21924536

Is the door jam made by spruce 2 x 8's?

Looks like the ever popular poplar to me.

#117 ·
the frame was made with wood that was custom milled for me. I can't remember what type of wood it is....

the dimensions were exactly 2" thick by 7 - 3/8".

I can confirm that the frame is rock solid. It needs to be to support the weight of both those doors!

#119 ·
well the equipment is now all in the rack and the wiring is also complete!!!! here are some pictures of the wiring (took me almost 10 days):

Here is the front of the rack. I decided to go with a higher rack to leave me room for future expansion:

#120 ·
I was also able to finally complete the fabric install. The only thing left to do is to install the baseboards, crown molding around the cove light and moulding around the acoustic panels. That is my job for the weekend. I have someone coming over to help me with the trim. The trim is cherry wood in a dark espresso stain.

Here are a few pictures of the room with all the fabric installed. The colors on the pictures however don't reproduce the actual colors of the GOM fabric unfortunately.....

#121 ·
As my door is almost 4 inches thick with the acoustic panel and as the walls have the 1 inch fabric track I had to get a custom strike plate for the door latch

#122 ·
Here is an update on my kitchen/concession stand. The microwave an trim kit are installed

The popcorn machine and warm better dispenser look great on the back counter (the hot butter also tastes amazing!!!)

Oh and the fountain dispenser is finally here. I do however need to clean, it, hook it up, etc. Believe it ir not there are more parts for it in the room behind that wall than the actual unit on the counter (pumps, CO2 bottle, syrups, pressure gauges, etc...) This was a unit used in my father in laws restaurent. It is used and is quite dirty but once I clean it up and get it going it will me awesome.

Here is a picture of the whole concession stand

#123 ·
airbenji,

here is a picture of my steps as discussed!

#124 ·
That is one of the coolest concession areas I have ever seen! I love the butter dispenser and soda fountain.

I'm curious where do you pick up the syrup for the fountain? A restaurant supply place?

#125 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaustin /forum/post/21951265

That is one of the coolest concession areas I have ever seen! I love the butter dispenser and soda fountain.

I'm curious where do you pick up the syrup for the fountain? A restaurant supply place?

I'm still trying to source that out. I think the local Coke distributor will do it, if not I have some contacts in the restaurent industry who should be able to get it for me.

#126 ·
Got the trim done this weekend. Here are some pics of the final project. Note that on the back wall I ran out of the small 1 x 1 trim (only 3 pieces are missing!)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.