Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 110 Old 12-29-2011, 09:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by misugrad View Post

For a room that has less than ideal spatial volume, not sure how to really interpret these; seems I have to work on the higher frequency modes and flatten them out via treatments.

The easy way to interpret them is to use a calculator that interprets them for you. I like Bob Golds. Running your room sizes through it, your room actually has very nice modal distribution for its size. The biggest problems should be 75-90 Hz where it is pretty easy to take care of with treatment. For anything beyond the rules of thumb that calculator uses and the Bonello criterion at the bottom, you will just have to measure it in various locations and see what you have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 110 Old 12-29-2011, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:

What exists to fill in the "red box" function of a central IR/remote hub to blast the equipment rack? I don't know what can receive inputs from 4-8 IR sources and blast the IR signal over the whole rack.
If anyone knows, would appreciate input here;

First some background info that may help keep you out of trouble: in my install I tried the IOgear and Monoprice wired IR solutions, neither of which would control my receiver (but was fine with all other equipment). Then I bought the X-10 Powermid and it controls everything perfectly. However, it doesn't control the receiver either _if I use a stick-on emitter_. So I think it works with the Powermid because it works as a wide area blaster, and had I just bought a wide area blaster instead of using only stick-on emitters for the other two systems, they would have worked fine as well.

For what you are trying to do, the Powermid should work if the distances are not too long. You can buy extra IR receiver/RF transmitter units that would all send to the RF receiver/IR blaster with your main kit. The wifi solution (or equivalent such as iRule, and those guys are local) would work as well, and the RF solution would probably work fine... it mostly depends on what your plans are for remotes.

To do what you need to do the wired IR/traditional way you would need this box or the equivalent from Niles/etc. Then you put the appropriate receivers (choose from this page) in each room (you have to choose the correct receiver based on the interference sources local to that room), and wire it up. You either use the individual stick-on blasters on the gear, or perhaps the best connection is to wire it where possible (lots of AVRs etc can take a 1/8" mono cable for the remote signal on the back... one would hope this would be the best connection but it didn't work for my AVR issue). If you need wide area blasters (due to either problem components like mine or just your preference for a clean rack etc) then you use the J-box blaster or the shelf blaster. Xantech stuff is available from Parts Express, Amazon, can be found through google shopping and you can fairly often find great deals on it on eBay.

If you want to try out the wired ones that I'm not using let me know and I can loan them to you. I'd try to sell it to you but they don't really do what you need unless you do something unusual/goofy.
post #63 of 110 Old 12-29-2011, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightp View Post

If you have a smart phone, iPad or iPod touch, you could use it to control your equipment via wifi. It requires an app and some hardware; here's an example of a package: http://thinkflood.com/products/redey...specifications

If you go this way, anyone with a smart phone, the app and access to your wifi network could control the equipment, which might keep you from having to run from room to room with the remote.

Dwight- thanks for the info. I really like the RedEye option. However, it's not clear on how the base needs to be positioned relative to the equipment. So I would have one unit in my equipment rack room; but where would it have to be located relative to the rack to hit all the equipment? I'll contact them to look into it.

Mike
Started the build...Theater With A View
post #64 of 110 Old 12-29-2011, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aackthpt View Post

First some background info that may help keep you out of trouble: in my install I tried ....

If you want to try out the wired ones that I'm not using let me know and I can loan them to you. I'd try to sell it to you but they don't really do what you need unless you do something unusual/goofy.

aackthpt - thx for the feedback. I had seen the iRule before (didn't realize they were that local); i'm going to do some homework between the iRule and the RedEye link from dwight.

Thx for the offer on the wired ir's. My preference is the wire up a single blaster to hit my equip rack.

Mike

Mike
post #65 of 110 Old 12-29-2011, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Staining has started....here's 1st pic.

I've got a couple of butt-joiints next to sub portal that I'm not happy w/ regarding the amount of filler; it will stain too thick. So I'll be getting a small roll of birch tape (w/ glue) that I'll iron on over the joint. This will leave a small edge that will create a "panel" look of sort, but I don't think I'll mind staring at that vs a heavy dark line...like the one in the upper left corner soffit in the pic above.

Mike
post #66 of 110 Old 12-31-2011, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

All the wood staining is done. Clear coat is on and drying now. A couple of spots where it's too heavy...we'll see how it dries.

Here's a shot of the screen wall...

Rear columns...

the molding against the wall is for the speaker frames to be built.

Below is a close up of an area showing before/after on adding the edge tape to cover my not-so-spectacular craftsmanship skills (gaps). I'm happy with how the tape ended up finishing...much better than the dark fill lines if it wasn't added.

after...

So next up on the list for the room...
- picking carpet
- wall treatments
- rear drape/curtain for the room
- sconces
- speaker grills
- pj box door

Then there's still the equipment;
- projector
- screen
- new pre/pro

That's all for this year.
New Year to everyone!

Mike
post #67 of 110 Old 01-08-2012, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

We've decided on the carpet for the theater (and the rest of the basement). I'm going to work around this 1st piece and find the other elements to compliment it (not too many in my small space) - sconces, wall paint, rear wall drape/fabric.

Theater;

This is from Dixie Home; Style = 1147 Ellsworth and Color = 124 Search

For the rest of the basement;

This is from Mohawk Signature Series; Style = 1124 Serene Ground and Color = 965 Distant Grey

No other updates really. Waiting on 2nd quote for door to choose and get that ordered. Then we can finish up the staining of that and remaining touch ups.

Mike
post #68 of 110 Old 01-22-2012, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

cheap thread bump just to say I'm waiting on door for theater....it'll be 2-3 weeks. Which is ok, as i'll be in/out for work and can't do anything in the HT. Carpet arrived and is being held until door in, stained.

Mike
post #69 of 110 Old 02-19-2012, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Can you show a pic of your rear soffits as they are now? I'm considering various options and I'm starting to think that I'm just going to stuff the suckers with fluffy R30 and seal them up with drywall.
post #70 of 110 Old 02-19-2012, 11:55 PM

These ideas are amazing thanks for sharing a good ideas
post #71 of 110 Old 02-22-2012, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdanforth View Post

Can you show a pic of your rear soffits as they are now? I'm considering various options and I'm starting to think that I'm just going to stuff the suckers with fluffy R30 and seal them up with drywall.

They are done and stained; here's a couple of pics of just after finish coat (wet)...

And now (dry)....

I'll still have to work out a door/cover for the PJ box. I've got the hardware and idea, but don't need it yet (since I haven't settled on the PJ)....

Hope that helps for something.
Mike

Mike
post #72 of 110 Old 02-22-2012, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarne1 View Post

These ideas are amazing thanks for sharing a good ideas

swarne1 - Glad to see your 1st post here! Just browse the forum; there are some very talented people doing this and some fantastic ideas out there. Just lets us know when you start yours.

Mike
post #73 of 110 Old 02-22-2012, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I've been away traveling for work, but keeping things moving towards the HT.

The door and special wide jamb came in...sorry about pics; I totally forgot to get a clean shot after I hung it.
Also, with the door, the casing and base moldings....lined up like good little soldiers...

And here's pics of the staining...as of tonight.
2nd finish coat done and drying and probably be ready for install on Friday.
Tomorrow, some staining touch ups and paint the 2 side walls.

BTW, we have chosen the paint color on the Left in the pic above...called Bedford Gray.

Also, I cased out the window. I've got it extending 2" past the drywall because I'll be adding 2" OC703 on the wall and covering with a fabric. I need 1 track of the fabricmate to do this; but it won't get here in support of my timing in motion.
I plan to have the OC and fabric hung Friday as well, since I will install all the base molding before the carpet install (Saturday). Therefore, I'll get the framing and fabric started on the lower half of the wall and finish it when the fabricmate piece comes in....

Goal is to post carpeted room pics after the weekend

Thx

Mike
post #74 of 110 Old 02-25-2012, 04:36 AM - Thread Starter

Worked late last nite to get things in order (and cleaned) for carpet install today.

I'm really happy with the way the door turned out. It's 34" x 8' door...

I also worked on the rear wall; added firring strips and the OC703 (2").

the horizontal strip on right side is waiting for my 1 piece of fabricmate track to get here

Mike
post #75 of 110 Old 02-25-2012, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Well, the carpet crew showed up this morning, started bringing in the padding, tack strips, tools, etc. Lead guy starts measuring, measures again and then remeasures...trying to figure out his layout and seams.
Go figure, that he calculates they are short over 30'!!! (35% error!).

Turns out, the way the sales guy figured it out would have created cross-seams (someone obviously missed the How To Measure For Carpet so I can Sell It class); something you don't want when laying carpet I'm told. Therefore, all the rolls need to go the other way which require over 30 more feet.

Their loss, hopefully our gain...we are heading over to the carpet store. I'm going to try to leverage this slip up into getting upgraded carpeting w/ little up cost...we'll see.

Here's the basement cleaned out (stayed up until 4am to get it all ready)...

view from the theater

To not waste some of the day, I put up lincoustic on the screen wall; two 1" layers. Just used spray adhesive on each layer....

BTW, anyone need lincoustic in MI, I have like only ~75' from a 100' roll! Send me a PM.

until next post.

Mike
post #76 of 110 Old 02-27-2012, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

So, we met w/ the carpet company. We got an upgrade to our carpet for the rest of the basement for a fraction of the cost it would take. Basically, i improved the grade of the carpet (double the retail cost of original) for only covering the lost cost of their mistake to order 30' more of carpet...$500 more for me. Well worth it. So in the process, we decided to change the color and pattern (sorry, no pic). Carpet is now scheduled for next Sat.

So not to waste some of the day, I connected the 3 screen lights and installed the speakers. Of course, I haadd to hear the system....the IB's were kicking finally and shook the house like I had been waiting for

Here's a screen wall updated shot...

Mike
post #77 of 110 Old 03-01-2012, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
Your room is looking great. Cant wait to see the carpet. Just curious what your initial impression was of the IB. When I first hooked mine up it was very boomy and muddy. That was in a room with completely bare walls so it was expected. The drivers are pretty stiff out of the box and over time they loosen up quite a bit. Even though my room is still pretty lively the sub sounds much better. Also curious as you your impression of the Dali's.
post #78 of 110 Old 03-04-2012, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockmonkey2000 View Post

Your room is looking great. Cant wait to see the carpet. Just curious what your initial impression was of the IB. When I first hooked mine up it was very boomy and muddy. That was in a room with completely bare walls so it was expected. The drivers are pretty stiff out of the box and over time they loosen up quite a bit. Even though my room is still pretty lively the sub sounds much better. Also curious as you your impression of the Dali's.

StkM2k - the IB is a bit muddy. I was sitting there last nite and thinking I should cut and use my rear soffits as bass traps (of course after all the staining is done). I still don't have any side wall treatments; the plan there is OC703 panels for the reflection points. Overall with absolutely no tuning of anything nor any of the equipment (right now just using a Denon AVR591 receiver to drive along w/ the Behringer on the IB). The Dali's sound better when you feed them more power in my small trials; they fill the room, voices are clear (even with one missing rear). Since i feel there are too many reflections still I can only imagine right now how much better things will sound. It already puts a smile on my face (and more importantly, the kids!).

Mike
post #79 of 110 Old 03-04-2012, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

Alright! Carpet is installed and I love it; both the theater and the rest of the basement. Best mistake a salesmen made on the measurements; the carpet we put in the rest of the basement is sooo much better than what we originally picked.

Here's basement, view from theater doorway.

Basement from corner.

The camera I have is nothing special and it shows by not being able to pick up the colors very well; especially the HT carpet.

Here's theater.

Ground level view towards IB/screen wall.

Close up in rear corner/column (camera issues shown here).

Also tried to finish up the back wall fabric. Will get to it later this week. Here are a few pics.

Close up of seam. Fabricmate is very clean. The edges will be covered by casing for the window and in the corner by the column a piece of 1/4 round.

Other side of window; small piece to show how I laid things in.

That's it for the pics today.

Need to start thinking (read SAVING) for the main equipment now; PJ, screen, pre/pro and last d#$n speaker.

Mike
post #80 of 110 Old 03-05-2012, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
Quote:

StkM2k - the IB is a bit muddy. I was sitting there last nite and thinking I should cut and use my rear soffits as bass traps (of course after all the staining is done). I still don't have any side wall treatments; the plan there is OC703 panels for the reflection points. Overall with absolutely no tuning of anything nor any of the equipment (right now just using a Denon AVR591 receiver to drive along w/ the Behringer on the IB). The Dali's sound better when you feed them more power in my small trials; they fill the room, voices are clear (even with one missing rear). Since i feel there are too many reflections still I can only imagine right now how much better things will sound. It already puts a smile on my face (and more importantly, the kids!).

I was not planning on using my rear soffit as a bass trap at first but realized I could use all that I could. I think I would have done the entire soffit if I did not have hvac in there. I have the front and rear soffit stuffed and some superchunk traps in the front corners. My rear corners have a doorway and HVAC so I will not be able to put bass traps there. I was debating on opening up some vents in my riser to get some more trapping there. I have 2 more superchunk traps 6 feet tall from my last theater that I'll probably hang on the stage above the speakers. It does sound a lot better with the bass traps but without carpet seats etc there are still a lot of live surfaces in the room.

Your carpet looks great. I'm on that last little push to get ready for carpet.
post #81 of 110 Old 03-07-2012, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Alright! Carpet is installed and I love it; both the theater and the rest of the basement.

Looks great, glad you are making progress.

Chris

"It hurts to admit when you make mistakes - but when they are big enough, the pain only lasts a second."
--Despair, Inc. "Regret"

My AviaTrix TM Build
post #82 of 110 Old 03-08-2012, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Chris - appreciate the note. Still got more to do though....

- wall treatments
- rear drape/curtain for the room
- pick sconces
- speaker grills/frames
- pj box door

Then there's still the equipment;
- projector
- screen
- new pre/pro
- seating

Mike
post #83 of 110 Old 03-13-2012, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

- speaker grills/frames

Aren't your speakers going behind your screen? Why do you need speaker grills/frames?

Oh, never mind. You must be referring to the covers for your surrounds.

Carry on...

Chris

"It hurts to admit when you make mistakes - but when they are big enough, the pain only lasts a second."
--Despair, Inc. "Regret"

My AviaTrix TM Build
post #84 of 110 Old 03-14-2012, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Yea, BP, you got it...the rear surrounds and the IB opening. I actually need to get another rear surround speaker too.

I was on vacation a 2 years ago in Arizona and found this guy listing home theater items for sale (screen, speakers, etc.). So i went to check it out; mainly for the screen. He ended being a HT buff, installer, designer, dealer, etc. He had couple screens to sell that I was looking at (could've bought a 140" curved SMX demo screen from him at the time, but was too big for my room...I know, oxymoron like jumbo shrimp).
Anyway, we end up stumbling upon the Dali in-walls and I was impressed. I didn't buy them on the spot, as we agreed 2 weeks after I left AZ. Needless to say, he shipped me 4 of the 5; granted I still got a fantastic price. He was going thru bankruptcy and blah, blah, blah...I never got it. What's intriguing is that he is a sales manager for SMX screens....

Mike
post #85 of 110 Old 05-06-2012, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Well, that tells you my progress....slapped with the AVS ol' thread warning...yea, yea, I know AVS, 54 days old - but you don't know about the kids soccer schedule and work schedule and yard work and...!....so much pressure you are putting on me

Anyway, I've been spending money instead of sweat equity. Purchased screen from Jamestown with the Seymour material. 110" wide 2.4 scope. Well, can't have a screen without a PJ, so I pulled the trigger on the Panny AE7000....should arrive in a week. So, if I have the PJ and screen, well you need something to sit on....so, we also ordered sectional couch which will be here this week.

Still have odds/ends to complete. My top of mind punchlist is;
- buy 5th rear surround speaker
- decide on pre/pro; receiver; integrated or separates?
- make speaker cover frames
- pick drape and hang
- pick and order sound panels
- pick remote/connectivity
- custom 4 gang wood switch plate
- door handle

Now I need to go back to work to pay for this stuff!...

Mike
post #86 of 110 Old 05-12-2012, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Well, got the Panny in yesterday!!!!

Ordered through B&H. It arrived quickly and their packaging was great. This AE7 was in a box, in a box, in a box....

1st box from B&H

2nd layer box from Panasonic

3rd box from Panasonic

And the goods....

Of course I had to set it up and try it out. (come on, I've got a short to-do list, it won't hurt any....)

So, I bought 4 yards of a white cotton sheet and tacked it up, since my screen is still not here yet Don't know exactly, but it's been about 12 days from my order, so hopefully not too much more.

The Panny set up was so simple and straight forward out of the box.
The image was spectacular for out of the box on a sheet...the family's mouths were all .

Mike
post #87 of 110 Old 05-13-2012, 04:24 AM

Awesome gear and set up mate
post #88 of 110 Old 05-13-2012, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Thx Bryceo -
a few more pieces of equipment to go and then i'm in the home stretch.

Mike
post #89 of 110 Old 05-13-2012, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Sweeeeet!!! Projector time!!

Congratulations. I watched one or two movies on a bed sheet myself... It's really shocking when you see the image in full size for the first time, isn't it?!
post #90 of 110 Old 05-15-2012, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdanforth View Post

Sweeeeet!!! Projector time!!

Congratulations. I watched one or two movies on a bed sheet myself... It's really shocking when you see the image in full size for the first time, isn't it?!

Thx JD! The Panny is outstanding. I don't have any 3D glasses for it yet (I get a free pair from Panny for buying as they have a promo now, but it will take 6-8wks to deliver!).

I've been looking at other online glasses (blick, xpand), but I need to do more research.

Mike
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page