The small & simple theater build - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 120 Old 01-17-2012, 06:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
That look freakin sweet! Congrats

I like the couches a lot too, I never understood why theater chairs are so popular, I prefer a nice couch/loveseat to snuggle with my wife & kids

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 120 Old 01-17-2012, 06:44 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by miahallen View Post

I like the couches a lot too, I never understood why theater chairs are so popular, I prefer a nice couch/loveseat to snuggle with my wife & kids

I personally prefer a reclining sofa as well due to flexibility. But I understand that some people want to cover every detail to make their dedicated theater as close to the high end cineplex as possible.

Cory

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- feedback welcomed encouraged needed badly
post #93 of 120 Old 01-17-2012, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by manthatsnice View Post

I personally prefer a reclining sofa as well due to flexibility. But I understand that some people want to cover every detail to make their dedicated theater as close to the high end cineplex as possible.

Cory

Right now I would just like to have seats, any seats. Still have to cover that little detail for my build.

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #94 of 120 Old 01-17-2012, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

Very nice, cozy space you have. I really like your seating as well. Looks supremely comfy.

Regards,

RTROSE

Quote:

Thanks guys, I considered full theater seats but decided the cost wasn't worth it to me after finding this pair on sale for $900 from a local box store. They are reclining and I like that the back middle seat drops down with cup holders for 'fake' theater style seats hehe.

I have to figure out how I want to finalize the equipment rack/shelves, not sure how I want this finished yet. I sort of have 3 options:

1) Box it in from the back and paint everything black
2) Build front panels and cut out each component, paint the panels black
3) Add tinted glass door

I'm considering a combo of 1 & 3. Paint the shelves & brackets black, box it in and add a tinted glass door to the front. I think the tinted glass might keep the component lights to a minimum. I worry about ventilation if I do it this way though. Or I might be able to just get away with the glass door and paint everything black and just don't box it in, instead maybe hang black velvet behind a little further back in the furnace room.

post #95 of 120 Old 01-17-2012, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Secondhandler:

How do you like the HTD Level 3s and in walls?

Lowell

The MARVELous Home Theater:
post #96 of 120 Old 01-17-2012, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhander View Post

I have to figure out how I want to finalize the equipment rack/shelves, not sure how I want this finished yet. I sort of have 3 options:

1) Box it in from the back and paint everything black
2) Build front panels and cut out each component, paint the panels black
3) Add tinted glass door

I'm considering a combo of 1 & 3. Paint the shelves & brackets black, box it in and add a tinted glass door to the front. I think the tinted glass might keep the component lights to a minimum. I worry about ventilation if I do it this way though. Or I might be able to just get away with the glass door and paint everything black and just don't box it in, instead maybe hang black velvet behind a little further back in the furnace room.

What about 2 & 3?

post #97 of 120 Old 01-18-2012, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowellG View Post

Secondhandler:

How do you like the HTD Level 3s and in walls?

I personally love them, but mind you I'm not an audiophile. I also love the 12" powered sub, really kicks things up. For most movies I tend watch them with my AVR set to about -17db give or take depending on the track.

Quote:

What about 2 & 3?

haha possibly. I'll go more down that road I guess soon. I think I'm pretty set on a tinted glass door, I just hope it doesn't affect my harmony one IR remote.

Since painting, my side reflections are definitely way down and less distracting by far which I'm very pleased with!

Be better when I get it carpeted as well.

post #98 of 120 Old 02-03-2012, 09:03 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just found your build threat. You did a great job turning that small space into a great place to hang out and watch movies. I love these small build threads

Always Up for a Good Zombie Flick
post #99 of 120 Old 02-08-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhander View Post

haha possibly. I'll go more down that road I guess soon. I think I'm pretty set on a tinted glass door, I just hope it doesn't affect my harmony one IR remote.

Do whatever you want. Worst case scenario the tinted glass prevents the H1 from letting the remote signals through to your components. You can always buy a $40 IR repeater.
post #100 of 120 Old 02-08-2012, 12:10 PM

Just found your thread. Awesome job! Very motivating. It makes me wish I had started with a finished space. It takes SO long finishing 1000 sq ft of basement, framing, electrical and all just to get my theater. Seeing these finished rooms helps motivate me. It can be done!

Now Operational!

post #101 of 120 Old 09-12-2012, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Sooo... I'm sure none of you remember me as it's only been about 7 months since I've last done anything to the theater - haha

It's been a very busy summer for me and I've also been enjoying the room a little too much. If I had to start this over again I would never have bought the projector so early on. It definitely would have been one of the last purchases, not only to ensure the room gets completed but also to get outstanding deals as technology changes so quickly.

Anyway it's soon time to wrap this project up. My wife has 6 weeks to go before our second son arrives so she's given me the go ahead to complete the room smile.gif. I'm hoping that in the coming weeks I'll build the riser, paint the trim & the back doors (same as ceiling colour) and finish my office at the back. Later on we will also be getting the house re-carpeted including the basement. I've also done no acoustic treatments to the room which I'm sure it could really benefit from.

I really can't wait to see the final stages of the build come to life.

Cheers!

post #102 of 120 Old 10-10-2012, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

After watching the Avengers on the weekend, I want to create masking panels for 16:9 movies, too much hassle to put up for HDTV content but I'm thinking for 2hr movies it would be really great to have.

Has anyone ever tried using a rigid insulation foam board to create masking panels? From my measurements of the width of the panels and looking at past pictures of where my LF and RF speakers are located (too much effort to take apart screen wall), I think masking panels would end up right on the outside edge of each speaker, so they shouldn't have to be acoustically transparent. Of course it might hinder the performance some, but foam board is so cheap that I think it's worth trying anyway.

I think if I just cut the panels out the exact size needed and wrap with left over blackout velvet I have, they would wedge right in and not slide out and wouldn't need any magnets or velcro to hold in place.

Anyone tried this? My only concern is if the black velvet that gets glued to the back of the foam would leave a black line on the white screen if it's up against it for too long.

post #103 of 120 Old 10-15-2012, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter

So I built masking panels yesterday. I picked up some cheapo insulation board, for $8 for an 8x4 to attempt some super simple panels as mentioned in prevoius post. Since my frame is 3/4", I went with 1/2" insulation board so I'm not laying the panel directly against the screen (Don't want any fluffies on it). Cutting it to exact size to fit isn't difficult but having to remember the velvet will be wrapped makes a pretty tight fit.

masking1.jpg

Pulling the velvet tight is a bit hard with such light material. So I placed some books on the board to weight it down a bit. Made it much easier.
masking2h.jpg

Since I used just cheap elmer's glue I had in the garage, it takes a long time to dry. So I used some tape to hold things together. Doing the ends was hell though, as I'm just not gifted in the wrapping department.
masking3.jpg

So far I have just finished the 1 panel but here is the result. Super impressed for just an $8 solution with leftover velvet.
masking4.jpg

If I place my ear on the velvet side of the panel, the sound of course is reduced, however the outer edge of the speaker is pretty much on the edge line of it and angled towards the center seat. Once I get the other one done (Just needs to be wrapped) I'll do actual tests from my seating to see if there is any noticeable audio difference, hopefully not.

post #104 of 120 Old 10-15-2012, 08:46 AM

how do the blacks look on the center stage screen? Are they a little gray or are the blacks really black?
I am looking at the same screen that is whay I am asking.
post #105 of 120 Old 10-15-2012, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blynk View Post

how do the blacks look on the center stage screen? Are they a little gray or are the blacks really black?
I am looking at the same screen that is whay I am asking.

Generally speaking the lower the gain rating of the screen the better the blacks based on the same projector under the same test environment. That also means less bright. The gain of centre stage xd is rated as 1.2, the industry standard is 1.0 and the blacks looks great to go me. The results highly depend though on the quality of your projector, the picture mode being used and pairing it with the right screen gain. If you want an AT screen than there aren't a lot of choices out there but I went with Seymour from all the great reviews & low cost factor for doing it myself. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

post #106 of 120 Old 10-15-2012, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

I finished the masking panels to change my scope screen to 16:9. Here are the pics:

masking5.jpg

masking6.jpg

maskingscreenshot.jpg

maskingscreenshot2.jpg

I tell ya, it makes the contrast pop that much more and makes the video feel like it's just floating in space. I just love it.

post #107 of 120 Old 10-16-2012, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Today we built a small, simple riser for the back row. It's nothing fancy, 4' x 5' and 8" in height. Here are the pics:

riser1.jpg

riser2.jpg

riser3.jpg

It does the job, just the right size for the small loveseat. I might regret not making it longer in the future but so far I really like it. A simple step up to your seat.

post #108 of 120 Old 10-17-2012, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Question guys - How do you add a battery UPS or surge protection to your projector when plugging in to the ceiling? Is that outlet itself wired to one in the closet? My PJ is basically unprotected right now being plugged directly in to the outlet on the ceiling (which is a shared line, not direct) while my other equipment has at least surge protection.

Having started with a finish space and then going backwards to make the electrical changes I feel like I've missed out on this. Is there perhaps a mini/portable surge option I could add at the power supply at the back of my PJ?

post #109 of 120 Old 10-17-2012, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post

You have done a great job with what is definately an awkward space. Makes me chuckle to see you working on all the little finishing touches like masking panels.
A true hobbiest...when the major project is complete what do we do with ourselves? We tinker.
My wife just rolls her eyes every time she sees me down in the theater poking, prodding and measuring.

Thanks

Yea, I never realized what I was getting in to until I was in too deep haha.

Also, we're expecting our second child next week (we have a scheduled c-section on Wednesday, the 24th). So right now I have a near 9 month pregnant wife and dumb projects like wrapping insulation board in the basement keeps me from being her punching bag haha! SHHHH I didn't say that!

post #110 of 120 Old 10-17-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhander View Post

Question guys - How do you add a battery UPS or surge protection to your projector when plugging in to the ceiling? Is that outlet itself wired to one in the closet? My PJ is basically unprotected right now being plugged directly in to the outlet on the ceiling (which is a shared line, not direct) while my other equipment has at least surge protection.
Having started with a finish space and then going backwards to make the electrical changes I feel like I've missed out on this. Is there perhaps a mini/portable surge option I could add at the power supply at the back of my PJ?

Leviton makes a suppressor outlet that fits into a standard single gang box available at Home Depot. It just replaces your current outlet. There are also replacement breakers that go into your load center for specific circuits. I'm not sure how effective either of those options are as I have not used them.
post #111 of 120 Old 10-17-2012, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmhug View Post

Leviton makes a suppressor outlet that fits into a standard single gang box available at Home Depot. It just replaces your current outlet. There are also replacement breakers that go into your load center for specific circuits. I'm not sure how effective either of those options are as I have not used them.

Ah thanks. The idea of just replacing the outlet to one with surge protection would be perfect.

Cheers

post #112 of 120 Old 10-17-2012, 03:40 PM

Great job secondhander, i really enjoyed this thread... congrats on the upcoming kiddo - thatz a great room for movie nights with the kids wink.gif

post #113 of 120 Old 10-18-2012, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

Baby #2 has arrived early smile.gif Welcome Colby, pics to come of course!

post #114 of 120 Old 10-18-2012, 09:51 AM

Congrats on the addition. And the theater! The room looks great. I'm almost to your starting point; drywalled and painted with flooring in. I can't wait to start spending time tinkering with finishing touches. You've done a great job.

Happy to hear you like the Seymour screen. I am planning to go with them as well. I am also up against a new arrival to get my basement ready for occupancy. Exactly 6 weeks until her due date.

Great job! Enjoy the space and the baby!

Now Operational!

post #115 of 120 Old 10-22-2012, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Randy. Good luck with your new little one. Is it your first?

Here are my 2 boys, life is good.

post #116 of 120 Old 10-26-2012, 05:53 AM

No, this will be our third. I have a 3 year old and a 2 year old (16 months apart) All 3 girls.

Now Operational!

post #117 of 120 Old 10-26-2012, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Congratulations secondhander...exciting times!

The Esquire Theater Construction Thread:

post #118 of 120 Old 10-26-2012, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Congrats on the new addition!

Spaceman Theater Build

post #119 of 120 Old 10-26-2012, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by randy98mtu View Post

No, this will be our third. I have a 3 year old and a 2 year old (16 months apart) All 3 girls.

Congrats. I have 3 girls too, 19months apart and 20 months apart. Ages 5, 3.5 and nearly 2. The girls are taking over! lol

Jonny 5

post #120 of 120 Old 12-09-2012, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Hey guys recently I've noticed a small blue blemish appearing on the screen in dark scenes. It's not too noticeable but I can see it and usually by not looking directly right at it if that makes sense. Any idea what I can do for it? Is that a bulb issue (I do have a spare)? I never noticed it before which I would have and I haven't done anything different with my set up that could have caused it that I'm aware of.

Thanks

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page