Need advice please!!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 10-03-2011, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
To anyone who can help me, I live in Malta and HT advise is very limited here and also very expensive. I already had a room which i am planning to refurbish. My room is 11x16x9 ft. and lately i managed to sell my bose speakers and got a set of Jamo THX D600 which i will be using as a 5.2 setup in my room. My processor is the Onkyo 5008 and i have 5 Marantz MA700 mono amps. I also have two Projectors, Benq 7700 and the optoma HD87. My screen is going to be 2:35 CIH 10ft wide.

My first issue is that i am checking to do a full acoustical treatment of my room and we have a supplier of Auralex panels here in Malta. Price is very reasonable and i read very good reviews on Auralex. I have double doors with double glazed glass and also double windows. I am planning to block the windows with drywall so that it will be sealed for minimum sound leakage out of the room and sound coming in the room. As all our homes here are built with stone and bricks, we have quite good sound suppresion in our rooms, but occasionally i have my wife complaining to hear the bass coming out of the room. To say the truth, i never heard huge sounds coming out of the room while a movie was playing. I know two 12" subs (Jamo D650) in a small room will shift some air, but to properly soundproof my room is going to cost me too much, and i cannot find advise on what to do.

If I change my aluminium doors with solid wood doors properly sealed will this be any good or should i stick to soundproofing? I was planning to do drywall on all four sides and also redo the soffit, all treated with rockwool slabs behind. Every seam sealed with silicone and i was going to remove the recessed lights and fit the lights on the side of the room to minimize holes in the soffit as much as possible. Will the soundproofing be a big difference for my room or will i still have sound leakage? Can anyone please help me, maybe anyone had previous experiance with a concrete room regarding soundproofing? Should i invest all my hard earned cash in acoustics and leave soundproofing?

Please guys, i need to start doing the room because my Jamo are crying for some good blasting and I cannot live quietly without my room ready from everything. I really cannot! thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-03-2011, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
A lot of the basement builds on this forum should provide good information since basements have concrete walls. Try searches for "basement soundproofing," "room within a room" or something similar. You could also search for posts by Ted White, who is extraordinarily helpful and knowledgeable about soundproofing.

I highly recommend you spend some time reading the articles in the soundproofing library at Ted White's website, http://www.soundproofingcompany.com/library/. In particular, this article on "room within a room soundproofing" may be helpful for your situation: http://www.soundproofingcompany.com/...within-a-room/

Maker of the finest saw dust since 1980, give or take

MY Custom AV Cabinet with DIY Pull-Out and Rotate Rack
post #3 of 11 Old 10-04-2011, 03:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightp View Post

A lot of the basement builds on this forum should provide good information since basements have concrete walls. Try searches for "basement soundproofing," "room within a room" or something similar. You could also search for posts by Ted White, who is extraordinarily helpful and knowledgeable about soundproofing.

I highly recommend you spend some time reading the articles in the soundproofing library at Ted White's website, http://www.soundproofingcompany.com/library/. In particular, this article on "room within a room soundproofing" may be helpful for your situation: http://www.soundproofingcompany.com/...within-a-room/

Thank you for your email, i read the articles and they are very interesting. So to cut the story short, i cannot live without proper soundproofing the room for the best results. Right?
post #4 of 11 Old 10-04-2011, 05:53 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

A lot of the basement builds on this forum should provide good information since basements have concrete walls.

Do basements in the US also have concrete ceiling apart from concrete walls? If they don't, then this would be their weak point and I assume that this is what will need most of the soundproofing. joebuzz's room is made of concrete, and I assume the ceiling is concrete as well.

Also in the US the most common HVAC system seems to be forced air utilizing ductwork through which sound can pass and it is an issue that should be dealt with. I doubt that this is the same system used in Malta.

Quote:

occasionally i have my wife complaining to hear the bass coming out of the room. To say the truth, i never heard huge sounds coming out of the room while a movie was playing.

Since you don't have a major problem what I would do is deal with the weakest points of the room, such as replacing the aluminum doors with solid wood ones. Beyond that the returns on your investment will be diminishing and I doubt it would worth it. Better spend your money and energy in other aspects of your HT.
post #5 of 11 Old 10-04-2011, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebuzz View Post

Thank you for your email, i read the articles and they are very interesting. So to cut the story short, i cannot live without proper soundproofing the room for the best results. Right?

I imagine you could live quite well without going all-out to soundproof this room.

Quote:

As all our homes here are built with stone and bricks, we have quite good sound suppresion in our rooms, but occasionally i have my wife complaining to hear the bass coming out of the room. To say the truth, i never heard huge sounds coming out of the room while a movie was playing.

It sounds like your existing problem isn't that big, really.

There are some things you can do that are likely to improve the situation without making a huge financial investment. I agree with Zoom on this point. Replacing your doors would be a good idea. Find the most massive, heavy doors you can and weather strip them well, including the bottom of the door.

If you're going to put up new drywall, you should at least consider decoupling the drywall from the masonry walls. The extra cost might not be that much and you will never get another opportunity this good.

I would probably try those two things -- new/massive doors and decoupled drywall -- and see how the room performs before I went any further. If you're not happy at that point, you could add another layer of drywall with damping (Green Glue).

Maker of the finest saw dust since 1980, give or take

MY Custom AV Cabinet with DIY Pull-Out and Rotate Rack
post #6 of 11 Old 10-04-2011, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightp View Post

I imagine you could live quite well without going all-out to soundproof this room.

It sounds like your existing problem isn't that big, really.

There are some things you can do that are likely to improve the situation without making a huge financial investment. I agree with Zoom on this point. Replacing your doors would be a good idea. Find the most massive, heavy doors you can and weather strip them well, including the bottom of the door.

If you're going to put up new drywall, you should at least consider decoupling the drywall from the masonry walls. The extra cost might not be that much and you will never get another opportunity this good.

I would probably try those two things -- new/massive doors and decoupled drywall -- and see how the room performs before I went any further. If you're not happy at that point, you could add another layer of drywall with damping (Green Glue).

Thank you for the response guys. I just found out that in my last post i meant the opposite of what i wrote. I wrote so to cut the story short i cannot live without proper soundproofing of my room, and i meant the other way round. I had to say that i can live without proper soundproofing of my room, right?

This evening i spoke to Andrew Doneo, who to me is the best man you can speak to on this island and he told me that if i do not use resilient channels all the money that i am going to spend will be for nothing. He also told me that soundproofing is a very complex topic and an open cheque is needed for a top 100% soundproofed room. I do not have the resources and not even the space to do a room in a room, so i guess i have to just change the doors and seal them the best way i can. I will for sure arrange the soffit the best way i can, as i have people living on me in my apartment and i really would like to appreciate home cinema without disturbing anyone.

BTW, all our ceiling here in Malta are made of concrete like the rest of all the walls. I am in for more suggestions guys so please feel free to offer more help. Thank you!
post #7 of 11 Old 10-04-2011, 02:41 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Keep in mind that the concrete IS the weak point of the room. The transference of sound is highly dependent of the materials used. Concrete and steel just happen to be some of the worst materials. Not to mention the inflexible nature of concrete and what it does or doesn't do to sound waves striking the surface. If concrete is not present on the ceiling, i would consider that more of a blessing than a curse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom123 View Post

Do basements in the US also have concrete ceiling apart from concrete walls? If they don't, then this would be their weak point and I assume that this is what will need most of the soundproofing. joebuzz's room is made of concrete, and I assume the ceiling is concrete as well.

Also in the US the most common HVAC system seems to be forced air utilizing ductwork through which sound can pass and it is an issue that should be dealt with. I doubt that this is the same system used in Malta.

Since you don't have a major problem what I would do is deal with the weakest points of the room, such as replacing the aluminum doors with solid wood ones. Beyond that the returns on your investment will be diminishing and I doubt it would worth it. Better spend your money and energy in other aspects of your HT.

Shawn Byrne
Erskine Group
CEDIA Certified Professional EST II - HAA Level III Certified -THX Certified Professional

Design-Video & Audio Calibration Information

The original Pro Theater Layout
post #8 of 11 Old 10-04-2011, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraMikeBravo View Post

Keep in mind that the concrete IS the weak point of the room. The transference of sound is highly dependent of the materials used. Concrete and steel just happen to be some of the worst materials. Not to mention the inflexible nature of concrete and what it does or doesn't do to sound waves striking the surface. If concrete is not present on the ceiling, i would consider that more of a blessing than a curse.

So what do you suggest to cut sound coming in the room and leaving the room, as my room is stone, brick and concrete?
post #9 of 11 Old 10-04-2011, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Just my humble opinion, but I would start by dealing with the doors and windows to the theater. As you said, your wife occasionally hears bass coming out of the room, doesn't sound like there's a huge problem, so the doors and windows are likely the weak point. Plug up the window, and fill the cavity behind with insulation and install a thick solid door with weather striping around it and a threshold at the bottom so everything is sealed. See how it sounds then.

Do you have central air conditioning? If so, and if possible, follow the advice from The Soundproofing Company on installing a dead vent.
post #10 of 11 Old 10-04-2011, 11:46 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraMikeBravo View Post

Maybe what you say about concrete regarding sound transmission is true if compared to wood of equal thickness. A concrete ceiling will be about 8" thick (throughout) while I doubt a wooden one will be anywhere that thick (apart from the beams).

But this is not about theory but about the specific case of joebuzz who can hardly hear any sounds coming out of the room as it is, and it is on this that I based my suggestion. He can use the money he would spend on sound insulation in other aspects of his HT. Now if money is no object for him, or if eliminating that little sound that comes out of the room is a higher priority than any other aspect of his HT, then sure, he should fully sound insulate his room and he should hire you to design it properly for him.
post #11 of 11 Old 10-05-2011, 01:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom123 View Post

Maybe what you say about concrete regarding sound transmission is true if compared to wood of equal thickness. A concrete ceiling will be about 8" thick (throughout) while I doubt a wooden one will be anywhere that thick (apart from the beams).

But this is not about theory but about the specific case of joebuzz who can hardly hear any sounds coming out of the room as it is, and it is on this that I based my suggestion. He can use the money he would spend on sound insulation in other aspects of his HT. Now if money is no object for him, or if eliminating that little sound that comes out of the room is a higher priority than any other aspect of his HT, then sure, he should fully sound insulate his room and he should hire you to design it properly for him.

My budget is limited guys, around $3,000 for sound insulation. I do have a great deal to change, screen, acoustic tratment, fitted carpet and hopefully new seating plus an anamorphic lens to go CIH. I have already new speakers Jamo D600 THX 5.2, Onkyo pre/pre 5508, and Marantz MA700 mono amps. The problem is my wife who always used to come around and tell me to keep it down and i think will be the person moving in on my apartment soon. I have not spoken to him about sound and if he hears that, as they still did not move in and i cannot try sound as the speakers are still in their box on the floor!

I am open for suggestions but this is really killing me now. At work i think about my HT, after work this is the only thing on my mind and i am really beginning to get frustrated now! I really would like to know what to do so that i find the respective people to do it.

BTW i do have AC, here in Malta is standard as we have a very hot climate, but it is a normal type of AC where you put a unit in every room you want and not central.

I will keep on looking for some very good suggestions, i think that until now the two solid doors are the best option and to completely seal the window is another good suggestion. thank you guys for your great help. AVS ROCKS!
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page