Help with Isolating sound/rumble from Buttkicker in an upstairs apt? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 10-12-2011, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hi all,

Currently my HT setup is on the first floor.. its another 2 years before i build my dedicated HT in the basement, cos of this my family complains of rumbling sound from above (the HT room) when i turn on the buttkicker. I have these mounted to my Recliners, and the rubber isolation feet is not much help.

I was wondering if i cud mount the entire recliner on a plywood/mdf/mass loaded vinyl/auralex platfoam kit... etc.. or anything else, to reduce the sound for people downstairs. Please guide... whats the best option for me. Right now i have a carpet, but within few months we will install hardwood floor. I dont have a problem mounting the entire recliner on any kind of riser or a platform.

I was looking at Auralex Platfoam Kit, the prices are pretty steep high, not sure if there is something else in the market and if i cud use something more efficient for relatively cheaper.

Any suggestion guys?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-13-2011, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Tell them that you will remove the buttkickers and install giant subwoofers instead - That should quiet them down

The rubber isolation feet that come with the buttkickers are actually a pretty hard rubber and probably do not isolate the chairs from the floor much. I think if you used a different (softer) product like sorbothane or something you would get much better results. Sorbothane would be quite expensive for that application though. One negative of the Sorbothane is that it is squishy and the chairs might move around a bit on the sorbothane.

The auralex would probably give good results but not sure how the cost would compare to something like sorbothane. Using too much sorbothane would also end up allowing the platform to move around a bit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 Old 10-13-2011, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
sorbothane is 10 times more expensive as compared to Auraflex i guess.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page