Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #271 of 778 Old 06-10-2012, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
The other option is not to have the seats centered and use curved seating. This is what I did due to room constraints and I have not had anyone say anything about being "off center". It works out since the chairs are angled towards the screen. I think the isles are workable in the design, but just giving you some added food for thought.

I hate removing drywall. I always underestimate the amount of mess it creates.

I know you are headed out for training, near NOVA, but if you ever end up in the Indy area, I'll definitely drink a brew or two with ya! biggrin.gif

Regards,

RTROSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 778 Old 06-11-2012, 03:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Ordering recliners without arms between the seats is an option as is ordering seats with 22" wide seat pans (depending upon butt size). Those are far better options than slamming the rows against a side wall.

Dennis Erskine CFI, CFII, MEI
Architectural Acoustics
Subject Matter Expert
Certified Home Theater Designer
CEDIA Board of Directors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #273 of 778 Old 06-11-2012, 05:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Dennis, what do you recommend for the minimum aisle width?

Bud

Check out a video of my  

post #274 of 778 Old 06-11-2012, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Bud -

I LOVE my sawz-all! Mine is battery and I like it even better than my old electric one. For cutting double drywall, I use a short blade (3", maybe?). Gets through the GG,. too, but the blade gets sticky!

On the seat aisle, I went with a set of two and two single seats. They fit, but the aisle is really tight. I originally thought I might be moving the singles out of the way unless I really needed them, but that is not gonna work (they are a pain to move). I'll be doing some arm surgery at some point.

Lets us know what night you will available when you get to NOVA!

Looking good!

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #275 of 778 Old 06-11-2012, 07:31 AM
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinadog View Post

Actually, if you look at different options, they are smaller, width wise. He used three seats at the same width, but likely (did some research already) that you can find smaller widths. IfI have to remove all the armrests (except the ends) so be it.
Bud

I meant to say those are tight aisles, made especially tight with the proposed middle column jutting out. But that's the beauty of the initial planning stages - you get to flush all that stuff out before the building begins. I personally shoot for and aisle 30" wide if I am tight on space, 36" as a standard and up to 42" if I have a good bit of room to play with, but each room is different, that's for sure.

Looking forward to seeing this build come together - it's going to be good. I already don't envy you the drudgery of clearing out the drywall Mt. Everest in the room now.....
post #276 of 778 Old 06-11-2012, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797 View Post

Bud -
I LOVE my sawz-all! Mine is battery and I like it even better than my old electric one. For cutting double drywall, I use a short blade (3", maybe?). Gets through the GG,. too, but the blade gets sticky!
On the seat aisle, I went with a set of two and two single seats. They fit, but the aisle is really tight. I originally thought I might be moving the singles out of the way unless I really needed them, but that is not gonna work (they are a pain to move). I'll be doing some arm surgery at some point.
Lets us know what night you will available when you get to NOVA!
Looking good!

A battery one would have helped. I found that it cut well through the RC1, which helped - we used both a metal and a wood blade. Either worked. The ceiling cam down pretty easy with just a crowbar and a little (not so little) weight on it.

I'll be there all week (during the business week), so lets shoot for like Wed night. Does that work?

Bud

Check out a video of my  

post #277 of 778 Old 06-11-2012, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post

Looking forward to seeing this build come together - it's going to be good. I already don't envy you the drudgery of clearing out the drywall Mt. Everest in the room now.....

I just called "Junk Bee Gone" - yes, Bee, they're coming out on Friday. A dumpster would run me 150.00 at least, this will probably cost me 300.00, but with it. smile.gif

Bud

Check out a video of my  

post #278 of 778 Old 06-11-2012, 08:31 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Dennis, what do you recommend for the minimum aisle width?

36". More than that provides a more spacious look/feel to the room and avoids that impression of an attempt to overstuff the room with seats.

Now, OTOH .... Typically when walk spaces (not hallways) are planned, they are planned under the assumption they will be used for something more than occasional foot traffic. If you think about a residential home theater, that is typically not the case. You walk in, plant your behind in a seat, and then walk out two hours later. A week down the road, you do it all over again. Of course, needing to turn sideways to get to the front row doesn't always pass the "I like it" test"

For the "average" home theater recliner, each arm you eliminate reduces row width by 5"...in your case that will buy you 10". If you reduce the seat pans to 22", that will buy you another 8".

Dennis Erskine CFI, CFII, MEI
Architectural Acoustics
Subject Matter Expert
Certified Home Theater Designer
CEDIA Board of Directors

post #279 of 778 Old 06-11-2012, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Oh yeah, week of June 25th I'll be in Reston in a training for Business Process Design with Appian (anyone use it?). Maybe one night the NOVA guys can meet for a beer? I won't have a vehicle, so maybe somewhere close to the Reston Hyatt.
Bud

WHAT! I'll be out of town on vacation! What's with this...I miss everything! mad.gif

Seriously, I really wanted to meet you, but I hope the crew is able to get something pulled together.

Follow my build here:
post #280 of 778 Old 06-11-2012, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Thursday is better for me, but I can make Wednesday work. Anyone else?

Tom Logan

post #281 of 778 Old 06-11-2012, 10:45 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Did somebody say beer? I can probably see that hotel If I would dare climb on my roof. Right now I'm open that week.

JEFF PARKINSON

PROJECTS:
post #282 of 778 Old 06-11-2012, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboranadum View Post

WHAT! I'll be out of town on vacation! What's with this...I miss everything! mad.gif
Seriously, I really wanted to meet you, but I hope the crew is able to get something pulled together.

Timing is everything, sorry about that. frown.gif Rest assured, I'll be back to Reston again I'm sure.

Bud

Check out a video of my  

post #283 of 778 Old 06-11-2012, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797 View Post

Thursday is better for me, but I can make Wednesday work. Anyone else?

I can do Thursday as well, if it works out better for folks.

Bud

Check out a video of my  

post #284 of 778 Old 06-11-2012, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Timing is everything, sorry about that. frown.gif Rest assured, I'll be back to Reston again I'm sure.
Bud

It's not your fault. Darn bad timing on my part.

See you next trip?

Follow my build here:
post #285 of 778 Old 06-12-2012, 03:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboranadum View Post

It's not your fault. Darn bad timing on my part.
See you next trip?

Of course it's not my fault! I'll let you know when I'm coming on up ...... smile.gif

Bud

Check out a video of my  

post #286 of 778 Old 06-12-2012, 05:27 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Bud I'm looking at the Prelim Sketches and I recall an earlier comment of yours about an old warehouse industrial look that you were going for and I don't see that reflected in the sketches, Did you change your mind?

JEFF PARKINSON

PROJECTS:
post #287 of 778 Old 06-12-2012, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Bud I'm looking at the Prelim Sketches and I recall an earlier comment of yours about an old warehouse industrial look that you were going for and I don't see that reflected in the sketches, Did you change your mind?

Big,

I still on planning that for the rest of the basement - i actually was at General Shale on Saturday looking at brick veneer. The room itself will more classic looking, but I may try and incorporate some of the old style lighting into the room to tie tit all together. Here's the look I'm going for (post 141 - http://www.avsforum.com/t/1366619/chinadogs-tennessee-theater/100_100#post_21528964 the picture - not the sketch - one row, lose the carpet and not sure on the red yet, but all the wood details). The concept designs only really reflect the high level designs at this point - for instance those are not the sconces I would want to put in there. Dennis and I have been iterating through design concepts, then he'll build out the detail plans from there.

Here are the lights I'm thinking of:

Bud

Check out a video of my  

post #288 of 778 Old 06-16-2012, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
Quote:

Oh yeah, week of June 25th I'll be in Reston in a training for Business Process Design with Appian (anyone use it?). Maybe one night the NOVA guys can meet for a beer? I won't have a vehicle, so maybe somewhere close to the Reston Hyatt.
Bud
I'm IN! See you in 2 weeks Bud. wink.gif

~ Gary

)

post #289 of 778 Old 06-19-2012, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 662
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark1 View Post

I'm IN! See you in 2 weeks Bud. wink.gif

I'm catching up on your build Bud! Regardless, I'll see you at the get-together next week... Looking forward to meeting you and all of the other NOVA crew.

post #290 of 778 Old 06-25-2012, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey guys -

Quick update, sorry for the radio silence.

Rough week last week. My father passed on Fathers Day. I was up in CT the couple of days before to say goodbye. Great guy and he'll be missed. To add insult to injury, my mom went to visit him at the cemetery yesterday, fell and fractured her pelvis. She's in the hospital now and I'm trying to get details, but have to deal . I can't make this stuff up.

My class that was scheduled for this week got pushed until 7/16. See you guys then.

"Junk Bee Gone" came last week while I was gone and cleaned out the room of all the drywall and debris. Small fortune though, cost me probably twice as much as I think it was, but hey, it's done.

Dennis pretty much wrapped up the design for the theater, I'll post more as I can. My father in law is putting in a new sub panel this week. smile.gif We completely ripped out all the electrical in room and we're down to the bones. I need to speak with the HVAC folks this week and have them come out and take a look as well.

Bud

Check out a video of my  

post #291 of 778 Old 06-25-2012, 04:38 PM
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Bud - my condolences to you and your family with your father's passing. Never an easy thing, that's for sure. Hopefully your Mom is on the mend and has no complications for her recovery.
post #292 of 778 Old 06-25-2012, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post

Bud - my condolences to you and your family with your father's passing. Never an easy thing, that's for sure. Hopefully your Mom is on the mend and has no complications for her recovery.

Thanks.

Bud

Check out a video of my  

post #293 of 778 Old 06-26-2012, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Bud,

Deepest condolences to you and your family.
Hopefully your mother will mend quickly, with better days ahead for your family.
Take Care!!

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my

Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #294 of 778 Old 06-26-2012, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Can't say it any better than TMcG, and Craig......Your family is in my thoughts and prayers. Take care.

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #295 of 778 Old 06-27-2012, 03:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks guys.

Bud

Check out a video of my  

post #296 of 778 Old 06-27-2012, 03:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks guys.

Bud

Check out a video of my  

post #297 of 778 Old 06-27-2012, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 662
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Not much to say in situations like these. Heartbreaking. Your family is in our thoughts and prayers as well.

post #298 of 778 Old 06-28-2012, 05:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks popalock.

Bud

Check out a video of my  

post #299 of 778 Old 06-28-2012, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

A few quick updates.

HVAC guys is suppose to be here at 9:00 AM to give me a price on adding a new zone and running all the new supplies, returns, etc. My father in law went ahead and put in the new subpanel and 100 amp service a couple of days ago. We'll start running electrical soon. Determined the position in the panic room for the electrical closet, may get some lumber early in the AM on the weekend (its suppose to be 100 degrees for the next 5 days here) for framing out the panic room. Started looking at Crestron lighting controllers (recommend by Dennis) and integration with an iPad as a remote. Speaking with my employer today about blogging the build out on one of our sites, likely HGTVRemodels.com.

Looking into projectors. Anyone have the Epson Power Lite 5010? Biggest concern is the manual lens.

Bud

Check out a video of my  

post #300 of 778 Old 06-28-2012, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Bud -

Sorry for your loss. I know it's a tough time.

Glad to see you can continue with the build. Looking forward to pics.

Hey! IF you go to one of your other sites, does that mean you can't update here, too? I have enough trouble keeping up here.

Good luck!
Tom

Tom Logan

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page