post #361 of 778 Old 07-12-2012, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinadog View Post

I think I understand what you're saying. Basically (maybe) build out the section so the trim piece is really not on the door, but the wall itself,so when the door is closed, it appears complete, when open, the trim is stays with the wall. If that makes sense.
Bud

You got it. Instead of mounting the trim directly on the door creating the problem you have pointed out in your picture, just mount the trim to the interior of your room and extend the acoustic panel on the theater side door to be flush with the edge of the door. If this acoustic panel build-up still gives you a problem with swing clearance, you could add a very, very slight bevel to the edge of the acoustic panel to fix the problem.

This may go without saying, but I would absolutely saturate the edge of this door acoustic panel and several inches in from the edge with fiberglass hardener to give a bit of durability. Because you know for damn sure people will be pushing on that door to get out. I know this next suggestion may ruin a bit of the stealth look you are going for, but you may even consider having a piece of finish carpentry act as a "push" plate on the theater side of the door to save the acoustic fabric from greasy snack hands and oils.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 778 Old 07-13-2012, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Hopefully we'll be doing some wiring tomorrow, would like to wrap some of that up. I still have to figure out the sconce on the door trick when it come to wiring so that doesn't hold me up.

Tomorrow we're looking at another GSD rescue dog, a female named Gracie. If things work out, she'll be the fifth GSD we've rescue. We have an appointment tomorrow AM at 10:00 to check her out. Here she is:

Sunday I'm off to Reston for the week (finally).

Bud
post #363 of 778 Old 07-13-2012, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ted,

Thanks for the PM. I'll be checking in with you soon.

Bud
post #364 of 778 Old 07-13-2012, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Beautiful dog. My wife and I took in a couple of rescues but stopped when the rescues never left...6 years and counting!! biggrin.gif

I am certainly not the expert for "sconces on doors", but I have done some of my own research because in my theater design I would like to light up some polyglass on the outside of the door with RGB LEDs. I was pointed in the direction of products by a company called Von Duprin, specifically their EPT-2 and EPT-10 electronic power transfer locks. Most of these power transfer devices are found in the security area for things like powered locks and slide bolts. I was keeping with LEDs because it is easier to transfer low voltage vs. high voltage.

Aren't you working with Dennis, though? He should be able to tell you what to buy in 2 seconds flat!!!

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1373052/another-new-build/90#post_21510162
post #365 of 778 Old 07-13-2012, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:

Sunday I'm off to Reston for the week (finally).
Bud

Looking forward to meeting you bud!
post #366 of 778 Old 07-18-2012, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Good times last night Bud! Pleasure meeting you. Sucks we didn't get any pics of the get together.

I'm still on like page 8 of your thread, but I'll catch up on your build over the next week or so.
post #367 of 778 Old 07-18-2012, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 59
post #368 of 778 Old 07-18-2012, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Good to see you again Bud and thanks to Jeff for hosting.

=====================================
My HT Thread index on 1st post
Samsung AllShare and Internet@TV Discussion
post #369 of 778 Old 07-18-2012, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Yeah...GREAT time. Good to meet you. Hope we can get together when you're back up this way!

Jeff, great spread as always! Projector and new screen looking excellent!

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #370 of 778 Old 07-19-2012, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Great to meet everyone last night - thanks much to BIG for hosting. Loved checking out the theater and talking with the guys. Thanks again!

Bud
post #371 of 778 Old 07-19-2012, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Hope you all had a great time my VA HT friends, wish I could have been there
post #372 of 778 Old 07-25-2012, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797 View Post

Jeff, great spread as always! Projector and new screen looking excellent!

Sorry to miss the shindig. Trust me, backpacking in the heat and rain of central VA was fun, but I bet you had more!

Jeff got a new projector and screen? What did you get, Jeff?

CJ

Follow my build here: Harvest Ridge Theater
post #373 of 778 Old 07-25-2012, 09:52 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 685
I'm glad that Bud and a lot of other NOVA builders were able to make it. I learned that Bud is taller than he looks in his old Avatar. Thanks all for making it a great event. If anyone thinks they should have been invited but didn't please send me a PM. I think you can appreciate why we don't just post an address and say You All come now.

CJ, same projector as my HT2.0 rebuild, the Planar 8150 on an SMX screen. It was just new to some that hadn't seen it yet.
post #374 of 778 Old 07-28-2012, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here's the latest. After being on the road for a bit, I finally got downstairs today. My father-in-law halted running electric to the equipment room because as it turns out, he couldn't drill through wall above the theater room into equipment room because everywhere he tried, he hit concrete. We tried a few times in a few places, but ran into issues in those places. If you look at it close, there is a 2x12 on the equipment room side that manufactured I-beams attach to under the front porch, and OSB is nailed on the side of the truss (trusses are about 24" high), so I didn't think I had any issues - I figured I had 12" to run HVAC and electric through it and could cut through that no problem. Not that simple.

I thought of a few options for the equipment, but now I'm thinking that the best option is to have the equipment outside the theater room, near the front entrance. I have enough room to easily carve out a closet to left left of the entrance, especially since I've reduce the size form a 6'0 door to a 2'8 door. It's not exactly ideal for me, but it'll make for short cables to the projector. I can make it work and we don't have to alter the plans at all. I'm still thinking about a concession area in the panic room and now potentially a wine cellar. smile.gif

Oh, and turns out that Gracie got adopted by another family, so we'll continue our search.

Bud
post #375 of 778 Old 07-28-2012, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here's the latest. After being on the road for a bit, I finally got downstairs today. My father-in-law halted running electric to the equipment room because as it turns out, he couldn't drill through wall above the theater room into equipment room because everywhere he tried, he hit concrete. We tried a few times in a few places, but ran into issues in those places. If you look at it close, there is a 2x12 on the equipment room side that manufactured I-beams attach to under the front porch, and OSB is nailed on the side of the truss (trusses are about 24" high), so I didn't think I had any issues - I figured I had 12" to run HVAC and electric through it and could cut through that no problem. Not that simple.
I thought of a few options for the equipment, but now I'm thinking that the best option is to have the equipment outside the theater room, near the front entrance. I have enough room to easily carve out a closet to left left of the entrance, especially since I've reduce the size form a 6'0 door to a 2'8 door. It's not exactly ideal for me, but it'll make for short cables to the projector. I can make it work and we don't have to alter the plans at all. I'm still thinking about a concession area in the panic room and now potentially a wine cellar. smile.gif
Oh, and turns out that Gracie got adopted by another family, so we'll continue our search.
Bud

Man, you sure do take bad news in stride. I commend you for your patience. Sorry to hear the bad news Bud. I tell you what, turning that panic room into a wine closet/space would be really nice. I know my wife would love me for doing that... smile.gif
post #376 of 778 Old 07-29-2012, 04:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

No worries, just a little change in plans. I'll make it work. smile.gif

Bud
post #377 of 778 Old 07-30-2012, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Quote:
You All come now.

Obviously, Big is not from around these parts. Properly, it's "Y'all." And if he really wanted EVERYONE to come, it would be "Youse guys." Oh, wait.... that's Jersey-speak. It would be "ALL Y'all."
Quote:
Too bad about Gracie, Bud. There's plenty more out there. I'm sure you'll find one.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #378 of 778 Old 07-30-2012, 01:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

Man, you sure do take bad news in stride. I commend you for your patience. Sorry to hear the bad news Bud. I tell you what, turning that panic room into a wine closet/space would be really nice. I know my wife would love me for doing that... smile.gif

Really, don't panic, we have plenty of wine.
post #379 of 778 Old 08-04-2012, 05:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Wiring continues. I'll be working on the new equipment rack location this weekend as well, get that framed out mostly at least. I still need to do some research on pull out racks and get the final dimensions so I'll be able to finish it out. I've also been finishing up my workshop and have made some significant progress there, I'll have to post some pictures.

Does anyone have the Epson Powerlite 5010 (or 6010)? Seems to have the throw distance, lumens and contrast ration I'm looking for. I've seen some complaints on projector central though. http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epson-PowerLite_Home_Cinema_5010.htm

Bud
post #380 of 778 Old 08-06-2012, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
hey Bud

with cedia around the corner there might be some newer and better choices for a front projector. looking good on new build!

larry
post #381 of 778 Old 08-07-2012, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Larry,

Absolutely (and hopefully I'll be there this year - smile.gif ). Just starting to look around so I can plan some.

Bud
post #382 of 778 Old 08-07-2012, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryep View Post

hey Bud
with cedia around the corner there might be some newer and better choices for a front projector. looking good on new build!
larry

Let's hope they are going to launch reasonably priced projectors with 2.35:1 OLED panels and built-in lens systems, possibly even with native 4k or even upscaling 4K technology.....OK, who am I kidding, right? I would just be happy if they started making native anamorphic blue rays so 23% of the 1080p resolution of the format is not devoted to reproducing black bars above and below a 2.35:1 image....but again, who am I kidding? It will be interesting to see what will be displayed just one short month from now.
post #383 of 778 Old 08-16-2012, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Basic HV wiring is complete. I still have to run some wiring (from outlet to outlet location, sconce to sconce location, etc), but for the most part, it's 90% complete - breakers are in and ready to go. I did order and receive my Crestron CLS-C6RF lighting controller through Dennis last week so my father-in-law can play with it. Here's a picture or two of the black beauty.

More info here:
Crestron CLS-C6RF

Need to order some wire and some LV cables next, as well as get more estimates for the HAVC portion - never heard back from the guy with the racoon. Should have known. rolleyes.gif

Also, my "wine cellar/panic/concession area" is completely insulated. I have one or two small electrical things to take care of there, but we should be good to go for drywall there.

Bud
post #384 of 778 Old 08-21-2012, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey Bud. I came across this picture in my files and reminded me of some of the drawings you were putting together for your ceiling design, included the LED uplighting. Thought I would share.

Ropelightcofferedceiling.jpg
post #385 of 778 Old 08-21-2012, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post

Hey Bud. I came across this picture in my files and reminded me of some of the drawings you were putting together for your ceiling design, included the LED uplighting. Thought I would share.
Ropelightcofferedceiling.jpg

Thats very similar to what I'm trying to do. Not as many and not all square, but close. Do you know where (which thread) you got that from? Thanks for posting.

Bud
post #386 of 778 Old 08-21-2012, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

It wasn't from this forum. If I stumble across a pic on the web that has an interesting design aspect to it for one reason or another I have a general catch-all folder of photos for "design inspirations".

However, if you look closely at the photo you can see a receptacle built into the ceiling in each coffer and a plug in each receptacle which leads me to believe this was probably done with a blue colored rope light that works on 120v and can be dimmed with a standard dimmer. I don't recall what your final decision was regarding your coffer lighting, but the last I knew I thought your were pursuing the RGD LED strip light option and home-running each coffer back to the equipment area so all power supplies could be located together and not stored in the ceiling crown.
post #387 of 778 Old 08-21-2012, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post

It wasn't from this forum. If I stumble across a pic on the web that has an interesting design aspect to it for one reason or another I have a general catch-all folder of photos for "design inspirations".
However, if you look closely at the photo you can see a receptacle built into the ceiling in each coffer and a plug in each receptacle which leads me to believe this was probably done with a blue colored rope light that works on 120v and can be dimmed with a standard dimmer. I don't recall what your final decision was regarding your coffer lighting, but the last I knew I thought your were pursuing the RGD LED strip light option and home-running each coffer back to the equipment area so all power supplies could be located together and not stored in the ceiling crown.

I haven't quite finalized, but leaning towards recessed receptacles in the coffers like Spaceman and the 120V LED rope light that I found that was cuttable, but need to make a go/no go decision pretty soon here. I think that's the direction I'm going. I have some of the LED strips you guys bought off ebay, but haven't played with it yet. It's all piled up on my desk. Not enough time in the day.

Bud
post #388 of 778 Old 08-23-2012, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I got my new leg! Seriously.

I started making my daughter a desk over the weekend, a "L" shaped desk, 5'x6' x 24". She had the perfect spot in the corner for it, so I made a frame, screwed it to the wall and it needed one leg, so I ordered it from tablelegs.com. Will post some pictures later of the finished product.

Need to paint it before I mount it, then trim out the rest of the desk. A couple of hours on the weekend and that'll be another thing out of the way.

Now I'm thinking about making my own table at some point, maybe something rustic for the wine cellar. smile.gif

Bud
post #389 of 778 Old 08-26-2012, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Finished product (needs some 1/4 round, but basically we're done). I built the shelves yesterday and hung them today. She's out with the wife, she'll be so surprised when she gets home! The leg looks great, too.

Bud
post #390 of 778 Old 08-26-2012, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here's a pano of my workshop. Messing around with an app called "360 panorama" on the iPhone. Pretty neat stuff. Works well, but I have to play with it some.

Buds workshop in pano Zoom out before you spin around.

Bud
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page