Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #721 of 777 Old 08-25-2013, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
The knee is doing well. More flexibility than before, but that's not saying much. Actually, I have almost the flexibility as the left knee now, just a few degrees difference, although my left knee is not as flexible as most people. I'm about 7 weeks in and have up to six months to progress. I'm going to PT three times a week.

I still have some discomfort, but not in the joint. It's surrounding the knee, but it its due to scar tissue and some minor swelling still. I'm able to some extend sleep on my sides and stomach, but I still wake up every couple of hours to adjust, so I haven't had a good nights rest for some time. That'll come with time though (I hope).

Bud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 777 Old 08-25-2013, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My son and I heading to the cabin yesterday to board up the place to prevent people from going in and getting hurt (and me getting sued). I met with the insurance inspector Thursday and he had talked to the fire department and they have the cause. It was definitely the 4wheeler and the trail camera captured like 1400 HD pictures of the event. He emailed me Thursday night and said he'd make copies of the CDs (three of them) and send them to me when he was allowed. At least I'll be able to see it now.

Bud
post #723 of 777 Old 08-25-2013, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 568
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinadog View Post

I met with the insurance inspector Thursday and he had talked to the fire department and they have the cause. It was definitely the 4wheeler and the trail camera captured like 1400 HD pictures of the event. He emailed me Thursday night and said he'd make copies of the CDs (three of them) and send them to me when he was allowed. At least I'll be able to see it now.

Bud

So, the individuals renting your cabin were responsible? Hope everything works out for the best.

I say, when it's time to rebuild... Go ahead and design a dedicated HT space in your new floor plan.

biggrin.gif

Could lead to more rental income and pay for itself over the next few years.

post #724 of 777 Old 08-25-2013, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes, pretty much. The pictures say it all. Not sure they have the insurance to cover our losses, but I'm sure the insurance company will try. Have thought about a HT in the cabin, but already have one to finish/ smile.gif Will consider it.

Bud
post #725 of 777 Old 08-26-2013, 03:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Many of the larger cabins in the area have PJ and screen setups, in a dedicated room, but I doubtmany have anything beyond that. Hard to justify the cost, if not a primary residence.

I bet it would be pretty low cost to sub out the DD and LV cable runs, if you want to do something basic. Probably several local LV installers that have log cabin experience.

I hope the owner of the ATV isn't a friend. That would be tough.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #726 of 777 Old 08-26-2013, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Not a friend, no worries there.

Bud
post #727 of 777 Old 08-28-2013, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I still don't have the 1400 pictures from the trail camera yet, but I received the report from the Gilmer County Fire Chief and it contained the following pictures. The date was wrong, but it love that it shows the time and even temperature. I was told the 1400 pictures are my property and can pic up the media when I'm there next, he wasn't going to email them to me. Curious to see the very 1st one of the fire and what the temperature was before the camera case melted, as well as everything else.

Bud
post #728 of 777 Old 08-28-2013, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow. How does an ATV catch fire like that? Parked on/near dry brush?

Absolutely conclusive evidence that it's the ATV. Kind of creepy that it's such a good shot of it. Zoomed in on the ATV, much larger HD pics?

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #729 of 777 Old 08-29-2013, 03:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I took these two on Thursday as the fire inspector walked me through what he thought was the cause of the fire and the short that caused the fire. Apparently the chassis heated up enough due to the short and something then ignited. The seat, the plastics, the gas tank, not sure. I'm hoping the other pictures help tell the story when I get them.

The arrows point to the battery and the wire that was arcing. The two wires in the second picture cross and the bottom one was supposedly welded on the chassis due to arcing. Where he parked was partially on pine straw and a holly bush was just around the corner probably went up quickly. He pulled around that corner because he was trying to somewhat conceal the ATV from anyone coming down the driveway. He was gone for the day hiking.

Those we're even the actual trail cam pictures I posted, they were screen caps from the report. I did not have the picture files.

Bud
post #730 of 777 Old 08-29-2013, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 173
woooooow sorry to see this! and sorry your cabin burned. but how fascinating the trail cam caught it in the act! just amazing incredible documentation. thanks for sharing and best wishes in your rebuild...

Samsung PN51F8500. Marantz SR5008. Oppo BDP 103D. Sony BDP S5100. Emp Tek E55TIB LR, E5CIB, E55WIB. Sennheiser Momentum. Sennheiser 598.
post #731 of 777 Old 09-26-2013, 09:05 AM
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Hey Bud. I hope all has been well in getting things sorted with the insurance companies and your cabin fire and that your knee rehab is also going well.

A number of pages ago there was some discussion on how Nest wouldn't integrate with outside automation systems. Well, Control4 integration with Nest thermostats just announced at CEDIA:
http://www.electronichouse.com/article/control4_first_to_integrate_nest_thermostat_into_home_automation/?utm_source=EH_Evrthng_cedia&utm_medium=email
post #732 of 777 Old 09-26-2013, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm betting additional controller integration won't be far behind C4, e.g. Crestron.

post #733 of 777 Old 09-30-2013, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post

Hey Bud. I hope all has been well in getting things sorted with the insurance companies and your cabin fire and that your knee rehab is also going well.

A number of pages ago there was some discussion on how Nest wouldn't integrate with outside automation systems. Well, Control4 integration with Nest thermostats just announced at CEDIA:
http://www.electronichouse.com/article/control4_first_to_integrate_nest_thermostat_into_home_automation/?utm_source=EH_Evrthng_cedia&utm_medium=email

Hey, thanks for the article - glad to know they open things up, even a little. I expect when they say "expects it to be deployed for a variety of products and services for everything from pricey home automation systems to simple DIY apps such as ifttt." That Crestron is not for around the corner.

Bud
post #734 of 777 Old 09-30-2013, 11:14 AM
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Yes, now that NEST has opened their API (i.e. their control protocol) for outside development, technically Crestron or any other third party system can work the thermostat right now, today, if the command string protocol was published. The way a lot of companies are going, Nest will have private conversations with Crestron, for example, and Crestron will write a bulletproof "module" for controlling the Nest thermostat or Nest will take it upon themselves to create a drop-in programming module (i.e. app) to control the device. But given the demand I wouldn't be surprised if we saw Nest integration availability with all major automation systems within just a few months. Control4 just happened to be the first because it is the first real automation system that is also affordable. I can only imagine the sales that Nest had not captured to this point by being a stand-alone device, closed to other control methods.

The one thing Nest seems to be pretty insistent about is that the thermostat remains in control and will override control system commands to some extent as part of its "learning" of its users and where they want settings. Here's a quote from this article.
Quote:
Integration is via Nest’s cloud service, which pushes the thermostat states to (in this case) Control4’s cloud and ultimately to the home’s control system.

The learning features of Nest are not incorporated into the driver, and in the event of conflict between Control4 and Nest … the thermostat wins.

You can’t schedule the thermostats through Control4: “If I start externally mucking with their [Nest’s] schedule, there’s no telling what I would do to their own heuristic schedule,” Anderson says of their algorithms Nest builds around user behavior.

If a consumer must have the Nest thermostat, they will be able to integrate with Control4, but the richest experience is reserved for Control4’s own thermostats.

For instance, in Control4 if you change the temperature, the system asks if you want to revert to the usual setting in two hours or some other time period. The feature is built into the firmware of the thermostat. No can do with Nest.

“Technically you could do it in code, but it’s relatively cumbersome,” Anderson says.

But hey, at least it's a solid start to outside integration and some of the macro commands I can imagine you needing when running your theater as it pertains to HVAC.
post #735 of 777 Old 10-09-2013, 06:22 PM

Liked: 13
Did you get the email about the Nest smoke alarm? I pre-ordered straightway.
post #736 of 777 Old 10-09-2013, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah, i was checking it out today. Need to take an inventory of what I need for the Knox house and I'll go ahead and order - be a nice thing to add to the theater room as well. smile.gif

I'll include them n the cabin build whenever that happens.

Bud
post #737 of 777 Old 10-13-2013, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I finally received the trail camera media from the cabin from the fire department and went through the pictures of the cabin fire. Here's a video I made from the photos. It needed some music, so I threw in some Andrea Bocelli. smile.gif

Pay attention to the temperature at the bottom of the screen as the fire heats up.

Bud
post #738 of 777 Old 10-13-2013, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 57
It's a good thing you've obviously got a pretty good sense of humor! Did it really take 8hrs to ignite and less than an hour to melt the camera?
post #739 of 777 Old 10-13-2013, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I didn't pull any pictures in between him parking the ATV and the fire starting. He left that day in the morning and apparently the short that caused the ATV to ignite took all day to heat up and was enough to catch something on fire - the seat, the case for the battery, don't know since the camera only picked up what you saw. I arrived that night at about 10:30 and the place was gone by then, so the building was a loss in 2 hours.

Bud
post #740 of 777 Old 10-13-2013, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 57
Sorry if I missed it but is your insurance company going after the ATV manufacturer?
post #741 of 777 Old 10-13-2013, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Our insurance company is going after the renters insurance company, but as far as I know not the manufacturer. There was a recall for fires for ATVs by this manufacturer, but was focused on models 5 years after this one was made. That's based on my quick research.

Bud
post #742 of 777 Old 10-14-2013, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Amazing video. Hope everything works out for you in the end.
post #743 of 777 Old 10-15-2013, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

That is incredible footage. Thanks for sharing, Bud.

I always say ATVs are more dangerous than people realize. wink.gif

post #744 of 777 Old 10-17-2013, 05:57 AM

Liked: 11
Unreal. I'm worried now as I park/store my ATV under the cabin deck.

Ben
post #745 of 777 Old 01-18-2014, 06:59 AM

Liked: 18
Very interested in your thread...sorry to hear about your cabin. Look forward to seeing more on your theater build.
post #746 of 777 Old 01-18-2014, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey dogger, thanks.

Been consumed with insurance claims for the cabin and getting things moving. Any extra cash I have now (not the theater frown.gif ) has been put aside for the cain, the insurance came in about 45K below the rebuild costs. We're building something very similar, although laid out better. The good news is I'm far enough along with the insurance that we've started to rebuild. The teardown of the old place happened over the holidays and the new foundation walls went in last week.

Cabin tear down

New cabin elevations, plans and foundation

Bud
post #747 of 777 Old 01-18-2014, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinadog View Post

the insurance came in about 45K below the rebuild costs.

Wow, that's terrible - how come they can do that?

Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc
Who says Cameron is "right" and why do we care about him so much - lol!

I trust Gary Lightfoot more than James Cameron.
post #748 of 777 Old 01-18-2014, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

They only pay out the policy limit, regardless of the rebuild costs. I'm trying to determine if I have a suit or not to recoup the rest from the renter..

Bud
post #749 of 777 Old 01-19-2014, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Can you claim from their vehicle insurance? Sorry if this has already been covered before - I read a lot of threads here and forget almost as much...

Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc
Who says Cameron is "right" and why do we care about him so much - lol!

I trust Gary Lightfoot more than James Cameron.
post #750 of 777 Old 01-19-2014, 05:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Gary, yes, thats exactly how it would work. Based on my conversation with a lawyer, thats what he was thinking, that his vehicle insurance would cover it. I spoke with him a while back, so not sure if it fell off his radar or he doesn't want to both pursuing my case. I'm not trying to bankrupt the gy or anything, it was an accident, but I'm the one thats going to be out a bunch of money. Trying to just recoup that.

Bud
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page