Chinadog's Tennessee Theater! - Page 28 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 23Likes

post #811 of 856 Old 02-23-2016, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
https://www.parts-express.com/Search...itesearch=true

one vote conduit then run cable and add your own cable ends later. Or just run the bulk cable now.
Hey Jeff!

I'd prefer to run bulk and then have conduit for future proofing, but wasn't sure if there was a standard cable I could run and be done with it. Not sure what bulk cable I need. Was looking at this, but not sure if its correct.

https://www.parts-express.com/belden...-usa--102-1222

Bud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 856 Old 02-23-2016, 01:20 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2831 Post(s)
Liked: 2386
That is really pricey, I wonder if Belden 8451 would work, I'm not a wire guru.
post #813 of 856 Old 02-24-2016, 06:59 AM
Deep Sea Sound

Mentioned: 136 Post(s)
Quoted: 1499 Post(s)
Liked: 1273
First thing you need to ensure is the cable is CMR rated for in-wall use, which basically means the jacket won't spread fire too quickly within your walls.

I have used Canare and Mogami but couldn't find if their jackets were CMR rated. I did a quick search and this discussion stood out, the OP ended up going with BIG's Belden 8451 recommendation.

http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin...read.cgi?31788

And I was able to verify the jacket is CMR rated using the spec sheet listed at Markertek.

http://www.markertek.com/product/bl-...100-foot-black

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
"You don't listen to our subs, you EXPERIENCE them!"
post #814 of 856 Old 02-24-2016, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
First thing you need to ensure is the cable is CMR rated for in-wall use, which basically means the jacket won't spread fire too quickly within your walls.

I have used Canare and Mogami but couldn't find if their jackets were CMR rated. I did a quick search and this discussion stood out, the OP ended up going with BIG's Belden 8451 recommendation.

http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin...read.cgi?31788

And I was able to verify the jacket is CMR rated using the spec sheet listed at Markertek.

http://www.markertek.com/product/bl-...100-foot-black
David and Jeff, thank you.

I went ahead and ordered 100 feet of the Belden 8451. One more thing checked off the list. Appreciate it.

Bud
post #815 of 856 Old 02-24-2016, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Started looking at door options now. The theater side doors are going to be hidden per Dennis' design. For soundproofing purposes, I think I'll need to have the drywall go all the way up to the door jam, which sounds to me I'll need to find and install a door before prior to drywalling that area. Looking at a few older threads, it sounds like there are some expensive options out there. What have people done recently? Has anyone had any success with the Masonite Safe and Sound doors? Are there other options?

Bud
post #816 of 856 Old 02-24-2016, 08:53 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

hidden doors take some special hinges to get the swing right for clearance of the 2 inch acoustical treatment called for in the typical Erskine plan. Steve, who builds Erskine theaters builds those doors in Atlanta. He has a custom cabinetry shop (his day job) and builds them for each project. If you have the $$ you could ask him for a bid on a door then drive to Atlanta and pick it up. it will be 4 figures.

I've been using 1 3/4 thick birch veneer MDF solid core doors and haven't attempted to make it "hidden" just mounted acoustical treatments in the inside of the door set back from the edge for clearance.

Some guys have added one or two layers of 1/2 MDF with GG to the basic flush door for added STC. You will also need to purchase door seals.

this is an example of an out swinging door

dgage likes this.
post #817 of 856 Old 02-24-2016, 09:03 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

another out swinging door with 2 inches of Quest material, The final trim isn't on the door on this job which will hide the staples and fabric edges. A custom woodworker did the Mahogany work in the theater, it is beautiful. I just stapled the fabric

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4478.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	1275961  
dgage likes this.

Last edited by BIGmouthinDC; 02-24-2016 at 09:07 AM.
post #818 of 856 Old 02-24-2016, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here's the look and I'm going to go the quest route as well. It's also a swing out door. Does Steve work for Dennis?

Bud
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-02-24 at 12.10.14 PM.png
Views:	48
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	1275985  
post #819 of 856 Old 02-24-2016, 09:47 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

When there is a Theater Job

this is him:
https://www.linkedin.com/in/steve-kujala-58575a23
http://www.houzz.com/pro/sdkujala/heartwood-custom

Last edited by BIGmouthinDC; 02-24-2016 at 09:59 AM.
post #820 of 856 Old 02-24-2016, 10:32 AM
Deep Sea Sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinadog View Post
Has anyone had any success with the Masonite Safe and Sound doors? Are there other options?
I installed Masonite Safe and Sound doors on all of the bedroom doors upstairs but the walls let all of the sound travel. They work well for blocking sound but I doubt they'd be best for home theater. Or they'd work for home theater but I'd follow Big's examples of adding additional damping. As a base door, they'd be a great foundation for additional treatment. Definitely would want one of those automatic mechanically-operated door seals at the bottom of the door to block sound transmission.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
post #821 of 856 Old 02-24-2016, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
Thanks Jeff, just left him a voicemail. Curious how much this would be.

Bud

Last edited by chinadog; 02-24-2016 at 02:58 PM.
post #822 of 856 Old 02-24-2016, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I installed Masonite Safe and Sound doors on all of the bedroom doors upstairs but the walls let all of the sound travel. They work well for blocking sound but I doubt they'd be best for home theater. Or they'd work for home theater but I'd follow Big's examples of adding additional damping. As a base door, they'd be a great foundation for additional treatment. Definitely would want one of those automatic mechanically-operated door seals at the bottom of the door to block sound transmission.
I may go this way, I guess I would order via HD. I don't know if they'd have the hinges required and I'd have to figure out the stops. Since the door needs to be flushed with the second layer of drywall (to be covered with the acoustic treatments, the MDF would have to be on the outside (outside the theater) side of the door. The molding that would go around the around the treatments on the inside of the theater could maybe act as the stops or I could figure something else out.

Bud
post #823 of 856 Old 02-24-2016, 02:37 PM
Deep Sea Sound

Not sure Home Depot has those doors, I'm pretty sure we ordered them from Lowes. You can order the slabs only or with the frame, I've ordered both.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
post #824 of 856 Old 02-25-2016, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Hey Bud, hope things are going well!

Let me know when you are going up to your cabin and we can grab a beer at the Blue Ridge Brewery (St. Bernardus on tap for $5). I started on the basement at my cabin, including theater. Nothing fancy, but fits well with the rustic theme.

Ben

post #825 of 856 Old 02-25-2016, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 22
By the way, I still have a few "manufacturer ins" if you need anything............
post #826 of 856 Old 02-25-2016, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
I went ahead and ordered 100 feet of the Belden 8451. One more thing checked off the list. Appreciate it.
Maybe I'm too late (imagine THAT for a second!)....is 100 ft enough? I treated buying cable like hoses and ladders....always get them longer than you think you'll need.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

The Yellow Dog Cinema and Draft House
post #827 of 856 Old 02-25-2016, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Not sure Home Depot has those doors, I'm pretty sure we ordered them from Lowes. You can order the slabs only or with the frame, I've ordered both.
Went to Lowes at lunch today, the door guy was pretty much useless. I even brought a diagram (see thumb) to try to explain what I was doing.

Exchanged voicemails from Steve, send him an email with the specifics. I could probably build something like Big said, maybe an exterior door with some layers of GG/MDF. I've still got some time to figure things out.

Bud
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-02-25 at 2.11.51 PM.png
Views:	56
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	1278297  
post #828 of 856 Old 02-25-2016, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Harper View Post
Hey Bud, hope things are going well!

Let me know when you are going up to your cabin and we can grab a beer at the Blue Ridge Brewery (St. Bernardus on tap for $5). I started on the basement at my cabin, including theater. Nothing fancy, but fits well with the rustic theme.

Ben
BEN!

I know St. Bernardus all too well. I get up there every once in a while now, may be up there for a week or so towards the end of May. The basement build looks great. I may take you up on the contacts, sure would help the bottom line.

Bud
post #829 of 856 Old 02-25-2016, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797 View Post
Maybe I'm too late (imagine THAT for a second!)....is 100 ft enough? I treated buying cable like hoses and ladders....always get them longer than you think you'll need.
HA!

100 feet should be plenty. I ran RG59 and bought 100 feet for two runs, had about 10 feet left over. Should be good to go.

Bud
post #830 of 856 Old 02-25-2016, 12:10 PM
Deep Sea Sound

Quote:
Went to Lowes at lunch today, the door guy was pretty much useless. I even brought a diagram (see thumb) to try to explain what I was doing.

Exchanged voicemails from Steve, send him an email with the specifics. I could probably build something like Big said, maybe an exterior door with some layers of GG/MDF. I've still got some time to figure things out.

Bud
Bud, have you thought about a double door setup with one swinging in and one swinging out. I was in @BrolicBeast 's theater, which Big is helping with, and was real impressed by his double door setup. Then you could put a threshold between the two doors all the way around and you'd have very good sound isolation and likely a simpler build.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
post #831 of 856 Old 02-25-2016, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Bud, have you thought about a double door setup with one swinging in and one swinging out. I was in @BrolicBeast 's theater, which Big is helping with, and was real impressed by his double door setup. Then you could put a threshold between the two doors all the way around and you'd have very good sound isolation and likely a simpler build.
I have, but that would force the entrance door into the theater and I may not have enough room to really swing it in. Not in love with having two doors honestly either. I'd rather have the extra expense with one good performing door that to do with two.

Bud
post #832 of 856 Old 02-28-2016, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Busy weekend. Yesterday, I met some of my people from work and went out for lunch and went to see Deadpool. Last night, we had the regional tournament for my son's basketball team after losing the district championship tournament on Tuesday. After losing that game, the coach announces to the boys that "it's my last game" and walks out of the locker room. Everyone thinks he just quit, and later we see in the online paper he decided to retire after 22 years. BTW, my son is now 6' 6.25" and he just turn 16 on Thanksgiving. Today, my daughter and I went to the TN/GA women's basketball game and out to lunch. Tomorrow, I'm taking the day off and heading to Asheville to play the Grove Park Inn course.

I did get some work done in the theater room, some more wiring and got the Belden wiring done. I have not heard back from Steve on the door, I'll try and reach out to him this week.

Bud
post #833 of 856 Old 03-02-2016, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post
Having a Mame to go along with the theater would be awesome! That's definitely on my list of projects for post HT. I'm expecting lots of pics of that build, too
J-P-A and Jikkjack -

Forgot to post about this since it was ages ago. I did pick up a multitude machine or actually two. Bought mine through this guy in Louisville. My son had AAU basketball tournaments there last summer so I ordered one and picked it up when I headed home and I liked it so much, I got another.

http://www.custommulticades.com

I had him make one that looks like a Galaga machine and put at the cabin. It has a vertical 32" screen with a game upgrade to make it like 400 games.

I bought a second one for our house in Knoxville, my son wanted a side by side model. I think this is the one actually. Basic graphics, 32" horizontal monitor, two sets up joysticks and button. This one has the 2100+ game package on it. He does good work and is a lot more reasonable than others I've seen. I personally didn't want to start ANOTHER project.

Bud
post #834 of 856 Old 03-02-2016, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've exchanged a million emails with Steve about the door(s) and I think I'll end up going the custom built route. Includes everything including the flush jamb, hinge colors, seal kit and the drop down sweep and can make the exterior of the door match my existing doors. I won't have to payoff it to be crated or shipped because I'll head down to the ATL to get them. Yes, he'll do the one into the panic room as well (with some different specs). Another thing I don't have to take the time out to figure it out.

Bud
post #835 of 856 Old 03-02-2016, 07:44 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

If you document the door and it's installation it will be a first on this forum.
post #836 of 856 Old 03-03-2016, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

First? Wow.

Happy to document it. As of now, what I'm doing is pretty boring, so maybe that liven things up a bit. About four weeks to get the doors completed, then I have to figure out when to go get them.

Bud
post #837 of 856 Old 03-03-2016, 06:35 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

There have been plenty of documented Erskine builds but scant details on Steve's magic doors, maybe intentionally.
post #838 of 856 Old 03-03-2016, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 579 Post(s)
Liked: 434
That multitude machine is NICE! Thanks for posting that. I'm going to have to look them up when I get the rest of my basement finished.

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
post #839 of 856 Old 03-04-2016, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I went ahead and ordered my doors from Steve and sent a check. Started to look at AT screens as well. Jeff, I hear you have some experience with the Falcon screens. What's your opinion? Not familiar with Falcon at all. I need to go hang out in the screen forum for a while. I reached out to Stewart and they quoted me a huge price (included a masking system, but it was HUGE - like the budget for my whole room huge).

Bud
post #840 of 856 Old 03-04-2016, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked: 435
Quote:
I went ahead and ordered my doors from Steve and sent a check. Started to look at AT screens as well. Jeff, I hear you have some experience with the Falcon screens. What's your opinion? Not familiar with Falcon at all. I need to go hang out in the screen forum for a while. I reached out to Stewart and they quoted me a huge price (included a masking system, but it was HUGE - like the budget for my whole room huge).

Bud
I have been very happy with my Falcon screen.

My screen is the Horizon material.

If you are wanting to come by sometime for a demo, please let me know.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page