Chinadog's Tennessee Theater! - Page 38 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 170Likes

post #1111 of 1119 Old 03-21-2017, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Got partially done with the projector mount last night. I may have to shift to forward a little to get a access to the back. The JVC is large and if I leave it where it is, I have like two inches behind it. I centers it, but the mount from Chief ohs slightly off center from to back. I can shift it forward a few inches, but then may have anise getting the filter out for cleaning since it's in the front of the projector. I also bought an adjustable 6-9 inch mount pole, but turns out 6 inches is too big (yeah, I know). I ordered a 3 inch fixed pipe on Saturday, just in case. That should be here today. I think that'll be fine with the offsets and everything out, that'll work. I added the bottom of the box with a 30 inch piano hinge. That works fine, although I thought I could use some earth magnets to hold the door closed. Bought a 3/4" x 30" strip of steel and mounted it on the front of the door and drilled some holes for the magnets to hold the door close. Didn't work. the door is just too heavy. Looking at latches now and thinking about expanded the from of the box out a few inches to house the optical glass and give me a little more room to get the filer out. Or hinging the top of the front of the box as well to make it completely open.

Fedex Freight called. Working at home because I got an email stating my screen would be here today. She said when can we deliver it? I said I'm home all day waiting for the delivery. She said we could deliver it tomorrow. Argh! Don't send me an email telling me you're delivering something when you have no intention to do so! Frustrating!

Also, the acoustic material, fabric and track ship together..... April 7th. Doh. Waiting on tracking info about the speakers.

Bud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1112 of 1119 Old 03-21-2017, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

A quick update. Speakers will be here either today or tomorrow. That's great news. I won't be able to do anything with them today since I have an AAU meeting tonight (tournament this weekend, so here we go).

My 3" pole (shut up) arrived. At lunch I ran down and temporarily installed it and the projector. That sucker is heavy. It'll work out fine. I started to panic once I saw the grid partially on the coffers, but the lens shift is awesome on this thing. I don't have a lot of room in the box and I made it wide than designed, but I'll make it work. I just took off the front panel and I'll be able to modify it accordingly.

Bud
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6323.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	2040233   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6322.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	2040241   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6320.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	159.0 KB
ID:	2040249  
chirpie and DougUSMC like this.
post #1113 of 1119 Old 03-22-2017, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Was told Fedex Freight would call 30 minutes ahead of the delivery - between 11:00 and 2:00. Sitting and waiting. Better call before 1:30 because I have meeting with my boss coming up soon. Otherwise it'll get pushed out until tomorrow. Again.

EDIT: Just got the call!

Bud
nickbuol likes this.

Last edited by chinadog; 03-22-2017 at 09:46 AM.

post #1114 of 1119 Old 03-22-2017, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Got the screen. Box was a little banged up, so we opened it. Everything looked intact and safe. No news on the speakers though.

Bud
post #1115 of 1119 Old 03-22-2017, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Liked: 714
I remember when my screen arrived. I was shocked how they just threw it in the back of the freight truck...

Hopefully your speakers show up today or tomorrow. Having those in house would give me the motivation to get the room done even more. haha

Do you have a "soft deadline" in your head of when you want it completed?
post #1116 of 1119 Old 03-22-2017, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post
Do you have a "soft deadline" in your head of when you want it completed?
Originally the end of April, but thought I'd blow that deadline away due to last week, but now I'm hearing acoustic material, fabric, and track in mid April, so back to the end of April target. Should have floors (rest of the basement) and carpet in by mid April. Will do the fabric after that.

Bud
DougUSMC likes this.
post #1117 of 1119 Old 03-24-2017, 03:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

A few minor updates.

Got the rack trimmed out and the equipment closet door installed. Today I'll paint the inside of it and all the trim. I also started to seal around the doors with acoustic caulk and insulation in preparation for trim. Little wins.

No speakers yet. Still need to get the 1/2" MDF. Maybe today. MY optics class arrived.

Bud
post #1118 of 1119 Old 03-27-2017, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Speakers have arrived! Woohoo! Got home late tonight and they were in the garage. Glad I didn't run them over with my truck. My son and I carried them down to the basement. I'll be able to do some stuff tomorrow night, tonight was a bust.

Bud
BIGmouthinDC, dgage and COACH2369 like this.
post #1119 of 1119 Old Today, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I finished the MDF under the soffits finally. I left the sections with the speakers open until the arrived so I knew specifically how big the cutouts need to be for the Triads. Interesting design, the speakers have these adjustable tabs that extend out past the opening to hold them in place for a ceiling mount, then there there is a metal frame that to sandwich the two together. The tabs in my case work fine, except for on of the surrounds where it hits a 2x2 that I installed to hold the bottom section of the soffit. I'm thinking I may drill into that 2x2 for the tab to slide into. I'll figure that out tonight.

Now that the soffits are done, I'll move back to finishing the framing in preparation for the 1/2 MDF on the back wall. Still waiting on the acoustic material, track and fabric. That'll be another two weeks probably before I see that. Still need to schedule my hardwood and carpet install. Waiting on HD to tell me everything has arrived so I can pick that up.

Bud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page