Chinadog's Tennessee Theater! - Page 44 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 292Likes

post #1291 of 1299 Old 06-16-2017, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Finished the last of the fabric in the room, moving to panels tomorrow. Did install one doorknob, but it's not working quite yet, even though I chiseled out for the latch, it's still out too far and the door won't shut now, so I'll need to take it all off and start again. I had to order 4" screws for the entrance door today since the 3 1/2" screws barely worked for the concession area door.

I feel like I slowed down to a crawl, but I am enjoying the room.

Bud
BIGmouthinDC and PTAaron like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1292 of 1299 Old Yesterday, 12:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Hi Bud,
I've examined many of your excellently-informative photos up close, but I cannot tell just how much "reveal" you have between the fabric installed in the fabric track and the trim molding that surrounds each fabric panel section of your walls. The fit and finish looks great, but I cannot tell if the fabric and trim wound up flush, or with a bit of a reveal of the molding (meaning the fabric is inset some).

I'm shooting for a reveal of about 3/8" to 1/2", but I'm not entirely sure how that will look and am wondering if perhaps a smaller 1/4" reveal is what I need.

Would you mind measuring and telling me the size of your reveal? It would help give me some perspective on how a given size may look.

Thanks in advance,
Terry
post #1293 of 1299 Old Yesterday, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Terry,

There is hardly any reveal. I'll shoot you a picture. The slot in the track that the fabric is installed in is on the outer part os the track which fits inside the framed panel. The molding (portrait molding?) that goes around the opening is just enough so you can see the slot in the track. Once the fabric is in the track, you really don't see it at all. I think because I had to tough up that molding after the fabric was installed that I would recommended you paint the trim and install it after the fabric is in and just touch up the holes. Next time I head down I'll shoot a picture.

Bud

post #1294 of 1299 Old Yesterday, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinadog View Post
Terry,

There is hardly any reveal. I'll shoot you a picture. The slot in the track that the fabric is installed in is on the outer part os the track which fits inside the framed panel. The molding (portrait molding?) that goes around the opening is just enough so you can see the slot in the track. Once the fabric is in the track, you really don't see it at all. I think because I had to tough up that molding after the fabric was installed that I would recommended you paint the trim and install it after the fabric is in and just touch up the holes. Next time I head down I'll shoot a picture.

Bud

Thanks bud. I'm mostly interested in the reveal from a depth perspective versus the side-to-side distance.

On painting the trim after the fabric is in, I probably would've done as you did and paint first, as I'd be worried I would get paint on the fabric. Have to figure out a way to mask it I guess.
post #1295 of 1299 Old Yesterday, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texpilot View Post
Thanks bud. I'm mostly interested in the reveal from a depth perspective versus the side-to-side distance.

On painting the trim after the fabric is in, I probably would've done as you did and paint first, as I'd be worried I would get paint on the fabric. Have to figure out a way to mask it I guess.
From a depth perspective, it's flush with the panel frame. The track is 2" deep, the acoustic material is 2" deep and the finished MDF frame is 2"deep.

You can always tape the fabric. When I installed the "L" modeling around the soffit, I had to fill in the holes and seams and I just used the blue tape.

Bud
post #1296 of 1299 Old Yesterday, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinadog View Post
From a depth perspective, it's flush with the panel frame. The track is 2" deep, the acoustic material is 2" deep and the finished MDF frame is 2"deep.

You can always tape the fabric. When I installed the "L" modeling around the soffit, I had to fill in the holes and seams and I just used the blue tape.

Bud
Thanks Bud. Doe the panel molding sit on top of the finished MDF frame? That may be where I'm seeing some "reveal", or maybe I'm interpreting the pics incorrectly.
post #1297 of 1299 Old Today, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes, the molding is on the finished MDF. I think these pictures will give you a better visual of how its constructed. With and without the acoustic panel and you can see the track.

Bud
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6378.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	174.8 KB
ID:	2193273   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6374.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	173.9 KB
ID:	2193281  
post #1298 of 1299 Old Today, 08:05 AM

Thanks Bud, that explains what I'm seeing. For perspective, what is the size and thickness of the molding?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #1299 of 1299 Old Today, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

It's an 1 and 1/2" inches wide and 3/4" deep.

Bud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page