post #121 of 778 Old 12-05-2011, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by carboranadum View Post

I really hope things settle down a lot for you. That sounds like quite the load to shoulder.

I think I'm close to the end of the journey - although something recently came up last week intrigues me, not sure where it's going to go. We'll see how it plays out.

Bud

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out a video of my  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 778 Old 12-05-2011, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrodshook View Post

HEY BUD! Long time no see, or chat I guess. V2.0... interesting. I gotta hand it to you, not sure if I could do a second theater... well, maybe a theater but certainly not the whole basement again. Hope all is well. I'm gonna try and spend more time back on AVS. I think I'm getting closer to convincing the wife I need that new projector. My old Panny 900 has close to 4,000 hours on it!!!

Get back to work Bud

Hey Jerrod, glad to hear from you. I understand how you get wrapped up in life and fall off the edge of the earth. Sounds like you're enjoying the finished theater and basement still. Me? Most of the basement is done - minus Bud's touch, I have some ideas and work to do, just have been ignoring it until I can actually DO something.

Bud

Check out a video of my  

post #123 of 778 Old 12-05-2011, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

Sorry to hear that your holiday was interrupted.

I have been very fortunate for the last few years as family has come to my house for the Thanksgiving Holiday. No driving for me in that crazy traffic.

It happens, no much you can do.

I prefer to host everyone as well, much rather stay put than be out there and deal with traffic.

Bud

Check out a video of my  

post #124 of 778 Old 12-05-2011, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinadog View Post

I think I'm close to the end of the journey - although something recently came up last week intrigues me, not sure where it's going to go. We'll see how it plays out.

Bud

What a teaser! That's NOT fair!

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #125 of 778 Old 12-05-2011, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry, one of those things that will very likely NOT happen, but its a wait and see sorta thing. Need to keep a lid on it for a bit.

Bud

Check out a video of my  

post #126 of 778 Old 12-25-2011, 04:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays folks!

Bud

Check out a video of my  

post #127 of 778 Old 12-25-2011, 04:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Regards,

RTROSE

BTW, this is still stewing, more news after the holidays.

Bud

Check out a video of my  

post #128 of 778 Old 12-25-2011, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinadog View Post

BTW, this is still stewing, more news after the holidays.

Bud

Merry Christmas to you Bud. Don't think you going to get away THAT easy with another teaser like that AGAIN!

You're lucky its Christmas buddy boy!

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
post #129 of 778 Old 12-25-2011, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Bud congradulations on the sale of your house. I am looking forward to your 2nd build thread. Don't let the guys around here rush you. For me the research is as much fun as the build, hence everyones anticipation for your thread. The process should be enjoyable.

looking at your pics I assume you have a 9ft. pour for the basement? Am I correct?

The bunker should make for interesting topic thoughout this build!

larry

post #130 of 778 Old 12-26-2011, 05:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Merry Christmas to you Bud. Don't think you going to get away THAT easy with another teaser like that AGAIN!

You're lucky its Christmas buddy boy!

Regards,

RTROSE

Lol. Will reveal when I can. Would definitely impact the HT if it plays out.

Bud

Check out a video of my  

post #131 of 778 Old 12-26-2011, 05:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryep View Post

Bud congradulations on the sale of your house. I am looking forward to your 2nd build thread. Don't let the guys around here rush you. For me the research is as much fun as the build, hence everyones anticipation for your thread. The process should be enjoyable.

looking at your pics I assume you have a 9ft. pour for the basement? Am I correct?

The bunker should make for interesting topic thoughout this build!

larry

Hey Larry,

Yeah, I've got some things to do and I still need to get my workshop in order. I was hoping to use some vacation time to a few things done around the house - started cleaning up the basement some - we've got a lot of stuff piled up in the basement form the move still.

And to answer your question, yes, 9 foot poured walls.

Bud

Check out a video of my  

post #132 of 778 Old 01-10-2012, 02:37 PM
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Hi Bud. Congrats on the new house! It looks like you will have a great area for your new theater with a little (i.e. a lot) of your talented DIY retooling. You are subscribed!

I noticed you are not able to receive PMs for some reason, so I thought I would post here. I just saw your iPhone video of the new space. In it you mention that your new potential equipment room (i.e. the "panic room") is underneath your front porch. I thought I would let you know that this is officially called a "cold room" and is not really considered a part of livable, frameable, enclosable basement space - ever.

The reason why is that the front porch above is exposed to ALL of the elements, including wind-driven rain, pressure-washing, etc. It is not designed to be completely water-tight above so there is always the potential for leaks. There is really no watertight "roof" to this area, and no real design to make even the sides watertight. The concrete may be impermeable, but cracks can develop and perimeter caulking can loosen with time. And if you have it finished out and it ever leaks, these leaks can obviously lead to a very serious mold problem - even if you use spray foam, fiberglass faced drywall and all other "mold-proof" finishing materials. So I would encourage you to rethink the final purpose of this room for these reasons, especially for long-term use.

post #133 of 778 Old 01-11-2012, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post

Hi Bud. Congrats on the new house! It looks like you will have a great area for your new theater with a little (i.e. a lot) of your talented DIY retooling. You are subscribed!

I noticed you are not able to receive PMs for some reason, so I thought I would post here. I just saw your iPhone video of the new space. In it you mention that your new potential equipment room (i.e. the "panic room") is underneath your front porch. I thought I would let you know that this is officially called a "cold room" and is not really considered a part of livable, frameable, enclosable basement space - ever.

The reason why is that the front porch above is exposed to ALL of the elements, including wind-driven rain, pressure-washing, etc. It is not designed to be completely water-tight above so there is always the potential for leaks. There is really no watertight "roof" to this area, and no real design to make even the sides watertight. The concrete may be impermeable, but cracks can develop and perimeter caulking can loosen with time. And if you have it finished out and it ever leaks, these leaks can obviously lead to a very serious mold problem - even if you use spray foam, fiberglass faced drywall and all other "mold-proof" finishing materials. So I would encourage you to rethink the final purpose of this room for these reasons, especially for long-term use.

Well, thanks, that's good info. I should probably have contacted the builder to determine what the constraints are around this. I honestly had no idea that there could be potential issues, seems pretty innocent enough and is a covered patio. One of the things I was chewing on was the platform and handling that room since it would have been in the way and access would have to be addressed. That'll definitely play into the design and may have to rethink that whole back wall and platform. I may consider doing one row now, with a counter behind it.

The new house is brick and the patio is poured. I should take a picture and post it. I was actually considering having the concrete either stained or having someone cover it with slate (our last front porch was slate). The last house did not have access to this area from the basement, it would have been behind the wall where the screen wall was, it was poured concrete walls and completed filled in with concrete prior to them putting in the slate.

Bud

Check out a video of my  

post #134 of 778 Old 01-11-2012, 08:51 AM

Glad to help. That's why 100% of your basement was finished except for this small part, because it wasn't designed to be closed in. I did a bit more digging on your behalf and found an article from Mike Holmes: http://homes.winnipegfreepress.com/w...-room/id-1076/

There seems to be a lot of discussion on the forums regarding the conversion of these rooms to living space, but all of them have the same general principles:
  • Insulate the living crap out of all sides of the cold room, including the ceiling, with closed cell spray foam
  • Close off any external points of ventilation to the outside completely
  • Use metal studs for any framing
  • Use fiberglass-faced drywall such as DensArmor Plus
  • Use Super 90 or Super 45 to mud the drywall as this is not a food source like joint compound. For the last finish coat use a sandable 90
  • Using a drop ceiling vs. drywall is highly recommended
  • Run a supply and return line from your HVAC system to condition this room
  • Recommended to add a permanent dehumidifier to extract moisture from this space if you have even the slightest musty smell

Looking forward to seeing the theater construction pics!

post #135 of 778 Old 01-11-2012, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Many of those points would not be appropriate if soundproofing is a goal

Ted

The Soundproofing Company
post #136 of 778 Old 01-11-2012, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted White View Post

Many of those points would not be appropriate if soundproofing is a goal

Hi Ted - I was only talking about the cold room underneath the front porch where Chinadog was tentatively planning a concession stand and equipment room. I wasn't discussing the home theater itself which is part of the main home's foundation. The items listed are the cumulative (but not all-inclusive) advice of experts in converting this room specifically designed as cold storage into usable, conditioned living space that will be free of mold problems due to its location. The materials were highlighted since they are not a food source for mold and, more importantly, stop air movement and vapor infiltration.

I would rather have a mold-free space that leaks a bit of sound to the outside than a soundproofed concession area that WILL fill with mold if air and moisture infiltration is not addressed first in a managed way.

post #137 of 778 Old 01-11-2012, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Understood. That's why I mentioned "if soundproofing was a goal," as people reading tend to accumulate snippets of info as they design their own space.

Your points are all right on the money for non-sound-isolated space, for sure.

Ted

post #138 of 778 Old 01-11-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted White View Post

Understood. That's why I mentioned "if soundproofing was a goal," as people reading tend to accumulate snippets of info as they design their own space.

Your points are all right on the money for non-sound-isolated space, for sure.

Sorry for the confusion - by "other forums" I meant actual building / construction forums not related to home theater building / construction forums here on AV Science in any way. I guess I should have made that more clear in retrospect.

I look forward to having your input on my thread (not yet established) when it is established in the not too distant future!

post #139 of 778 Old 01-11-2012, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Sounds great!

Ted

post #140 of 778 Old 01-12-2012, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post

Glad to help. That's why 100% of your basement was finished except for this small part, because it wasn't designed to be closed in. I did a bit more digging on your behalf and found an article from Mike Holmes: http://homes.winnipegfreepress.com/w...-room/id-1076/

There seems to be a lot of discussion on the forums regarding the conversion of these rooms to living space, but all of them have the same general principles:
  • Insulate the living crap out of all sides of the cold room, including the ceiling, with closed cell spray foam
  • Close off any external points of ventilation to the outside completely
  • Use metal studs for any framing
  • Use fiberglass-faced drywall such as DensArmor Plus
  • Use Super 90 or Super 45 to mud the drywall as this is not a food source like joint compound. For the last finish coat use a sandable 90
  • Using a drop ceiling vs. drywall is highly recommended
  • Run a supply and return line from your HVAC system to condition this room
  • Recommended to add a permanent dehumidifier to extract moisture from this space if you have even the slightest musty smell

Looking forward to seeing the theater construction pics!

Thanks for the info. I know Mike Holmes works mostly out of Canada, so not sure if there is regional thing or not. I'll have to take a closer look at this space, pull down the existing insulation and take a look behind it. Not sure if it's ventilated or not. Would hate to waste this space and not use it, but don't want any issues long term. I'll make sure I call the builder as well.

The challenge with trying to finish that space is running any ventilation to/from it due to the concrete walls. Originally, I was thinking of building the platform in the back and raising the door so you could easily go from the platform to the cold room without having to step down in the theater. That would require me to also raise the door into the theater and build a platform step outside the theater (sort of step up prior to entering the theater and run the whole platform across the back to where the cold room entrance is). ˝king this route, I'd have to cut concrete to raise the cold room door (there's no header, just concrete) and I'd likely have to move/raise the header for the double door entrance into the theater. (Haven't opened the wall yet to determine the exact header location).

If I eliminated the back row of seating (do the counter thing), I could eliminate the platform build and the door raising steps. Instead of using the cold room, I could then build out a concession/fridge/equipment section in the back of the theater. Dunno, just thinking out loud.

Bud

Check out a video of my  

post #141 of 778 Old 01-21-2012, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

OK!

Started playing a little bit with Sketchup today, just to get some beginnings of a design done. This is no where were I would want it to be, I just had enough of working with sketch up for the day. First, the room dimensions are 19L x 13.5w x 8.5h. I don't have the doors in the correct position and my columns are not at all what I was thinking, they're not in the right place nor really designed anything like I really am thinking. Still no decision of where the rack will go, depends on what I can do with the cold room if anything. One option, which I'm not necessarily in love with is putting the rack in the front right of the room since it can go under the stairs there.

I'd really like to do some sort of wainscotting this time, maybe something relatively low, like two feet or so. Thinking off using some dark wood, maybe doing the inside in fabric. Above the wainscot I would do some sort of design, not so plain like the design shows. Would like to do some real nice wood columns. Due to the door to the cold room, I may just do the one row and have a counter behind it. 99% of the time it's me and the kids in the room, sometimes the wife will join us, so no really need for a second row. A counter would be fine for overflow. I'd also like to do a coffered ceiling maybe this time. Something simple and not over the top.

This is beautiful and congrats to whoever has this theater, I'm not sure who's this is, but I would like to do something similar, not the same colors and not quite as elaborate around the ceiling.

I really like Mario's design as well.

Bud

Check out a video of my  

post #142 of 778 Old 01-21-2012, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I like those recliners, does anyone know what brand they are?
post #143 of 778 Old 01-21-2012, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Well you certainly have picked a beautiful design to shoot for. I love the look of wainscotting and there are many different ways to do it.

I really like the look of msujdog's wainscotting here.

I also like the "picture fame" look.

Here is a simpler design/look.

Well after posting the photos, I guess you did not necessarily need examples huh? Oh well just thought I'd help out a little.

Glad to see that you are starting the design process for your theater.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #144 of 778 Old 01-22-2012, 04:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Slowly and not so surely! I'll continue to play with blender and post more ideas.

With the door situation, I'm going to have issues with the rear surround speakers placement, especially with columns. I may have to swap out the double door with a single door. The double door is hallow anyway, so shouldn't be a big deal.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to go the AVS/DE design route.

Bud

Check out a video of my  

post #145 of 778 Old 01-22-2012, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here's one more with a little more detail around the panels, although I don't think I'm going to spend a ton of time drawing these things out because I find it a little frustrating that I don't have the sketch up skills to real put what I have in my head in the drawing.

One of thing I think I mentioned before is that I'm considering changing the basement some to give it more of an industrial look or loft type of look. Adding some brick veneer to a few walls, trying to incorporate exposed beams (faux beams likely, distress floors, maybe some wood ceilings. I love those new bulbs you see at Home Depot and in the restoration catalog that have all the crazy filaments. I want to do some pendants over the bar and those would be great for that.

Bud

Check out a video of my  

post #146 of 778 Old 01-22-2012, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phisch View Post

I like those recliners, does anyone know what brand they are?

I think they are Berkline Trilogy Seats, Style # 13174.

post #147 of 778 Old 01-22-2012, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Thanks for that photo with the red paint and stained wood. That's close to the image I ultimately have for my room, but I'm not accomplishing it yet. I'll save that one in my special folder. I think for now I have the bones of it and can continue to build layers until I get closer.

The "Twinseltown" Theater

post #148 of 778 Old 01-22-2012, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Bud,

I have noticed those fixtures/bulbs as well an I also like them. I just don't have a use for them right now. That would be cool to incorporate them in your build. I like the loft/industrial look as well. It will be harder to pull off in a basement as you are height limited but it is definitely doable.

Oh, and how is that super secret, can't tell you yet, project/plan/idea/deal going?

Inquiring minds ya know.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #149 of 778 Old 01-22-2012, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Bud,

I have noticed those fixtures/bulbs as well an I also like them. I just don't have a use for them right now. That would be cool to incorporate them in your build. I like the loft/industrial look as well. It will be harder to pull off in a basement as you are height limited but it is definitely doable.

Oh, and how is that super secret, can't tell you yet, project/plan/idea/deal going?

Inquiring minds ya know.

I've got some ideas to give me that old building look. I don't want to go overboard - like a themed basement are anything, I want to be able to sell the house some day. I was just down there looking at some of the supports that I want to make into a timber like look. I'm looking at using faux timbers from www.fauxwoodbeams.com. Specifically, looking at the distressed beams:

Trying to fit the pieces of the puzzle together so it would look realistic. It's like you would have to think about how you would build it from scratch with real timbers and how they would stack. Here is what I'm dealing with:

They also have "hardware" to give it a more realistic look.

Can't speak on the super-secret thing yet. Not going to happen, but it might freak some folks out watching this thread if the cat gets out of the bag.

Bud

Check out a video of my  

post #150 of 778 Old 01-22-2012, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 202
I just wanted to mention I've been looking at lights like those as well. Lowes had a set on sale a couple months ago and we upgraded some kitchen/dining lights.

We've been using pinterest.com to organize decor items. It works pretty well, because you can see all your saved idea laid out next to one another, as on a cork board.

Several of the ideas I've found have come from etsy.com

I think I'm going to make a set for the theater wall, similar to the last one.

Fred

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page