post #211 of 777 Old 03-04-2012, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

Nice score! If only theater construction, marriage, and kids were Simple, cheap, adjustable. Done.

Regards,

RTROSE

Work. Don't forget work. Except the cheap part. I don't come cheap.

Bud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 777 Old 03-06-2012, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I reached out to Dennis over the weekend and spent some time on the phone yesterday with one of the reps from his company. Had a lot of questions about the DIY service, what's included, etc. Serious thinking about going in this direction, working through my tax situation first to see if I have to money to spend now on the service. From there, I can start demolition sometime during the summer and have a plan to run with.

Bud
post #213 of 777 Old 03-06-2012, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Bud,
Your shop is looking good! Also; sent you a PM

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #214 of 777 Old 03-06-2012, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Craig, thanks. Got your PM and replied just a minute ago.

Bud
post #215 of 777 Old 03-12-2012, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

No progress for me over the weekend, was down in New Orleans for a long weekend with my brother. First time, what a zoo. Bourbon Street during the SEC championship was an experience. Long drive back yesterday - now I need a vacation.

Brackets arrived while I was gone at least.

Bud
post #216 of 777 Old 03-12-2012, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Ah, now all we need is pictures of the new racks installed. I have always wanted to go to New Orleans, just have not made it there yet.

You are allowed to take a vacation as long as you spend it in the basement!

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #217 of 777 Old 03-13-2012, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ah, now all we need is pictures of the new racks installed. I have always wanted to go to New Orleans, just have not made it there yet.

You are allowed to take a vacation as long as you spend it in the basement!

Would be nice to vaca in basement, could get a lot done. I'm heading out Friday night for another trip, so it'll be a little while longer before the rack is installed.

Bud
post #218 of 777 Old 03-13-2012, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Has anyone tried the iRule remote? Was just looking at it, may try it.

http://www.iruleathome.com/

Bud
post #219 of 777 Old 03-13-2012, 08:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Yes, I use it. I like it, but I am looking forward to more components with IP control capability. But an old iPad makes a great remote control for a home theater.

Check out the forum http://www.irulecommunity.com/index....e-builder.html

There is a forum here in the Automation section, but it's huge and disorganized.
post #220 of 777 Old 03-14-2012, 04:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks LeBon, I'll check it out.

Bud
post #221 of 777 Old 03-16-2012, 08:06 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinadog View Post

Has anyone tried the iRule remote? Was just looking at it, may try it.

http://www.iruleathome.com/

Bud

Bud,

I started using iRule over the Holidays. Oppo BD93, Denon receiver (older 4802), Panasonic 65"GT30 plasma and a Motorola Charter cable box. Had it all running in about 2 hours which included a gateway setup for rs-232 and IR.
Purchased the more expensive version which allows you to freely pilfer other users panels and buttons which makes it a lot faster to play with and allows feedback from rs-232 to the iPad for things like volume levels, etc. Next step for me is to develop lighting controls.

The editor for your panel and command configuration is a little crude but it does work. There is no "undo" button so you need to be careful when setting things up on the screens, etc.

Then had fun fiddling and tweaking until I got it just they way I wanted it to run - WAF is great. She can run the whole setup with the push of a button for movies, radio and tv.

The response time is excellent. I hardwired the gateway to the router using Monoprice Cat6 cable. I did set up static IP addresses which makes it stable. Initially I would lose control with dynamic addressing. It is supposed to work but most people on the forum seem to move to static addresses.

Bob
post #222 of 777 Old 03-16-2012, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoblK View Post

Bud,

I started using iRule over the Holidays. Oppo BD93, Denon receiver (older 4802), Panasonic 65"GT30 plasma and a Motorola Charter cable box. Had it all running in about 2 hours which included a gateway setup for rs-232 and IR.
Purchased the more expensive version which allows you to freely pilfer other users panels and buttons which makes it a lot faster to play with and allows feedback from rs-232 to the iPad for things like volume levels, etc. Next step for me is to develop lighting controls.

The editor for your panel and command configuration is a little crude but it does work. There is no "undo" button so you need to be careful when setting things up on the screens, etc.

Then had fun fiddling and tweaking until I got it just they way I wanted it to run - WAF is great. She can run the whole setup with the push of a button for movies, radio and tv.

The response time is excellent. I hardwired the gateway to the router using Monoprice Cat6 cable. I did set up static IP addresses which makes it stable. Initially I would lose control with dynamic addressing. It is supposed to work but most people on the forum seem to move to static addresses.

Bob

Bob, that's great, sounds very encouraging. What are you thinking about as far as lighting control? I've done the X10 and the Insteon route and looks like there is an IR to Insteon appliance (although I've not dug into Smart Home for some time).

Bud
post #223 of 777 Old 03-18-2012, 02:00 AM

Quote:

Bob, that's great, sounds very encouraging. What are you thinking about as far as lighting control? I've done the X10 and the Insteon route and looks like there is an IR to Insteon appliance (although I've not dug into Smart Home for some time).

Bud

Bud,

I am looking at a Lutron Maestro IR. I would consider Insteon IR or X10 too if I could find a standard toggle that was IR controlled. I have a 4 gang standard toggle plate and probably will have to change all the switches to match the paddle style to be able to put a plate over them all. Nothing is so straight forward as to find a standard toggle switch that is IR controlled. Have you heard of anything like that? Didn't see any on the Smart Home website.

Bob
post #224 of 777 Old 03-19-2012, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Bob, not sure off the top of my head, but will look. In Orlando this week with the family, will dig a little next week.

Bud
post #225 of 777 Old 03-20-2012, 06:26 AM

Quote:

Bob, not sure off the top of my head, but will look. In Orlando this week with the family, will dig a little next week.

Bud

Enjoy the vacation!
post #226 of 777 Old 04-20-2012, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Holy. Been a month since I posted. Sorry about that.

The news is that I'm moving forward with the DE design. I spoke with Rose Anne at the Erskine Group on Wednesday, she sent me the contract, questionnaire, etc. I'll try to turn all that around over the next couple of days. After I have plans I can start doing some demoing of the room this summer.

Been traveling some and heading to NYC for a couple of days next week. Trying to get back up to Reston next month for a class. Stay tuned.

Bud
post #227 of 777 Old 04-20-2012, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Bud,

If I was starting all over again - I would have taken advantage of the DE design/plan.

Not trying to Hijack, but rather a Thank You!
I either need to apologize or Thank You for some ticket booth artwork that you originated some time back. If you look near the end of my thread (sig file), you will see that I adapted your artwork into a personalized version that I have displayed in a light-box in my stairwell

Thanks Again!

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema

post #228 of 777 Old 04-21-2012, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Craig,

I thumbed through your thread and I did the marquee and concessions signs, I don't think it was the same one you ended up with. I also did the ticket window and poster light boxes that some people copied, but all is good.

Appreciate it though!

Bud
post #229 of 777 Old 04-21-2012, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Bud,

Wasn't even sure where i got the original ticket booth artwork (someone - somewhere on these threads). I then had a friend who is handy with photoshop; alter it and add our photo.

Looking forward to seeing your plans and build start

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema

post #230 of 777 Old 04-22-2012, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Holy. Been a month since I posted. Sorry about that.

The news is that I'm moving forward with the DE design. I spoke with Rose Anne at the Erskine Group on Wednesday, she sent me the contract, questionnaire, etc. I'll try to turn all that around over the next couple of days. After I have plans I can start doing some demoing of the room this summer.

Been traveling some and heading to NYC for a couple of days next week. Trying to get back up to Reston next month for a class. Stay tuned.

Bud

Excellent news! I'm really looking forward to seeing you tackle a DE design. I can't wait for this thread!

Also, let me know when you are heading to the Reston area. Would love to meet you for dinner one evening!

CJ

Follow my build here: Harvest Ridge Theater
post #231 of 777 Old 05-07-2012, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here's one of the projects that I've been promising my daughter for some time. It's a loft for her QUEEN sized bed. She's got a lot of ceiling height, but even so, with a 10" thick mattress, it may be a little too high for her to sit on.

I still need to caulk, paint, build a ladder and a headboard, but it's getting there.

Framing:

Trimmed out:

The frame is lag bolted to the wall studs (3.5" lag bolts) and post corner has two lag bolts holding it up. On of the cooler things I did (cool to me at least) was I bought a 1.5" forester (forstner) bit and after cutting the trip boards to length and mitering them, I measured and drilled out the back of the board to accommodate the head of the bolt and allow the board to lay flat against the framing.

I also bought some colored (RGB) LED rope light to go around the bottom of the bed after the construction and paint are complete.

Bud
post #232 of 777 Old 05-07-2012, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:

forester bit

Forstner

Quote:

after the contraction and paint are complete.

OK, now you've got me worried!
post #233 of 777 Old 05-07-2012, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

Forstner

OK, now you've got me worried!

Spell check fail - I know what its called. Contraction - I should be worried too!

Bud
post #234 of 777 Old 05-09-2012, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here's the latest on the theater.... I've signed the contract with DE and have sent the check off. He'll be doing the floor plan, including seating and specs, platform design, speaker placement, location and size of the screen, acoustic analysis and design, acoustic treatment strategy, the electrical package which includes the electrical plan, low voltage wiring diagram, reflected ceiling plan and lighting design, HVAC/Mechanicals and the CAD drawings (rear, side and front elevations).

I need to take some more detailed measurements and lots of pictures, probably a video and I'll have a conference call with him to talk about the design.

And away we go.

Bud
post #235 of 777 Old 05-09-2012, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 194
post #236 of 777 Old 05-09-2012, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
That's excellent news! I am surely excited for you and can't wait for the building to begin!

Follow my build here: Harvest Ridge Theater
post #237 of 777 Old 05-12-2012, 05:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Working on my thoughts and ideas for the theater to discuss with Dennis to incorporate into the HT room. Fixed I'd post this to see if anyone else had anything I missed.

1. I would like to stay in a budget of about 20-25K all in at all possible. All of the labor will be done by me, except for maybe the HVAC portion. The ceiling is a truss system.

2. I plan on tearing out all the existing carpeting, trim, electrical and drywall, starting at the studs, although I believe the ceiling is insulated, but can do whatever is required. HVAC is already in the room (two supplies, no return). I don't know how much air is being pushed through it.

3.The room is situated under the foyer and formal dining room, both with hardwood floors and area rugs.

4. The basement is completely finished, except for the workshop and storage/mechanical area. To describe the perimeter areas the HT room would touch: Outside of the current room entrance is a larger open basement room. Across from the theater doors is a bedroom (not used) and the entrance wall is shared with a bathroom wall. The right side of the theater is the stairs to the basement. The left side wall of the room is a panic room with a door to it in the rear corner by the entrance. This room exists under the front porch and runs the length of the theater room. It is all concrete. The ceiling is insulated, I expect under the insulation you'll find steel/metal where concrete is poured over it for the porch. There is no HVAC in this room, only one electrical outlet/switch combo at the moment. I thought that this may be a good location for equipment if I can run electric and HVAC in there. Opposite the entrance wall (right corner) shares the wall with the workshop. I'm currently finishing out that space, but have left corner alone in case equipment needs to go there, under the stairs, etc. I'll be easily able to have the HVAC run through this area and circuits for the room.

5. There are four of us – two adults, two children (son 13, daughter 11). 80% of the time, the room will be used by me (for me its movies (70%), HDTV (25%) – Comcast at the moment, gaming (5%)). 10% of the time is me and one/both kids watching a movie or TV. The last 10% it'll be my son gaming. Xbox 360, Wii (not much use) and a future PS3.

6. I would like to have home theater leather recliner seating for at least four. I was thinking about giving up the second row and platform for a counter with stools. One reason for this would be because of the placement of the panic room door and it's impact on a platform. Not against a second row, but may not work out.

7. The theme/design of the basement – it's pretty plain now, but my intent is to transform the space into a loft, warehouse or industrial sort of feel. I'm planning on doing a few walls in brick veneer, would like to install some faux wood timber beams with black iron bracing, do some old wood or tongue and grove on the ceiling, old style fixtures – with the old school clear crazy filament exposed bulbs (http://public.fotki.com/bketterl/chi...rod691169.html), old looking wide wood flooring. I have a lot of old movie posters, a 1950s pay phone, a 1940s barber chair, old sports memorabilia, tins signs, etc. I'd like to continue some of that theme into the theater room. I'd like the room to have wood accents – in fact, I would like to see something like this:http://public.fotki.com/bketterl/chi...mg-0804-1.html including the coffered ceiling (maybe not the dental molding) and fiber optic ceiling panels incorporated. I don't like the carpet and I would probably not use that red, but not opposed to a red.

8. Technology wise. I do not have any equipment at this time. I'd like to go 2.35:1 AT screen, maybe with a masking system (manual or remote), I'd like to integrate the lighting into scenes on the remote and use an iPad as a remote. I don't have other equipment picked out, but previously used a Panny AE400 before with a Yamaha receiver (RXV2700) and Ascend Acoustic 340SEs for the front channels. I did the side and rears with Sonance TR220s in ceiling (in the soffit due to constraints) and had an Hsu sub. Not the top of the line, but It sounded good to me. I'm open to suggestions on the speakers especially (within a budget) and have not kept up with the projector technology since the last build. I was fine with the Panny and could do something similar. I'm sure what your thoughts are on this project versus something that would require a anamorphic lens. I like the MA racks, would like to have enough room for the kids gaming consoles and room for expansion, maybe a HTPC.

Did I miss anything?

Bud
post #238 of 777 Old 05-12-2012, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
First of all, the loft bed looks great, your daughter must be very excited and happy about her new sleeping quarters. Very cool!

Looks like you are hitting all the right points in your post above. I'm guessing that you did not mention sound insulation/isolation because that is something DE will cover in his design criteria. However if not then that is something you'll at least need to address. I (due to budget reasons) did not do anything but with what I know now would have given that a higher priority in my build wants and needs.

With regard to equipment I have the Epson 8350 and really love it. The new Epsons, and Pannys are getting really good reviews as well and are 3D and the Panny can do the poor mans 2:35 stretch as well.

I have the new Yamaha Aventage 1010 driving the Ascend Towers/center with the 170 SE's as surrounds and they are a fantastic combo that really rock the room. Think of your 340 SE's sound with more refinement, better midrange and punchier bass and you have the towers. For my sub I have a Rythmik FV15HP and I could not be happier with it, digs very deep, fantastic accuracy with music, and hits hard for movies.

If you are doing AT and you have the depth you also might want to look into an IB sub set up. I visited KNKKNK's theater a couple of months ago and was really impressed with his IB sub setup.

Looking forward to seeing how this all comes together.

Regards,

RTROSE

Oh, forgot to add that the industrial/warehouse look idea is very interesting and I'm excited to see some of the other design features your thinking of. The lighting fixtures you linked to are very sharp.

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #239 of 777 Old 05-12-2012, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

First of all, the loft bed looks great, your daughter must be very excited and happy about her new sleeping quarters. Very cool!

Looks like you are hitting all the right points in your post above. I'm guessing that you did not mention sound insulation/isolation because that is something DE will cover in his design criteria. However if not then that is something you'll at least need to address. I (due to budget reasons) did not do anything but with what I know now would have given that a higher priority in my build wants and needs.

Thanks about the loft, coming together nicely. Running out to HD to get the materials for the ladder.

On the acoustic design - yes, Dennis is taking care of all of that. Nice not to have to figure out every little detail.

Bud
post #240 of 777 Old 05-13-2012, 01:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
Hi Bud -

I read through your post, but couldn't think of anything to nitpick or suggest. I am sure Dennis's team will think of a bunch of things that you or I would miss.

Good luck. I also have an Epson, and no complaints. I need to find some time to hang my screen. Between work, travel and the yard I have been swamped.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page