The Building of CineMakkerh - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-18-2011, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I've posted this in a couple of places already, but have been prompted to post in the room construction area too.
Apologies for the iPhone 3G pictures and the Picasa gallery. If asked to, I'll post the pictures here individually.
The room is almost finished, and I'll get a proper photographer friend to take a few pics. I have some better qulaity photos too, from before the drywall was put up. I just have to find where my toddler hid the camera! It's definitely a budget build, but it as a first HT project, I'm quite blown away by what we managed to achieve. Sure, there are things I'd do differently now, but I learned a LOT.

Equipment:
Seats 6-7 with great viewing angles.
120" 16:9 screen. HTPC (Home Theatre Personal Computer) driven 1080p Epson 8350 projector, with a mirrored 23" 1080p in-wall touchscreen.
11.2 sound system (9.2 active at any given time for now) comprising 14 in-wall Monoprice speakers, two 10" Pinnacle subwoofers, up to 12 buttkickers and Aura/K-Woon bass shakers.
Onkyo TX-NR5007 AV receiver.

HTPC Specs: i3 530, Gigabyte H57 USB3.0 ATX mobo 4 GB RAM. 60GB SSD (35TB unRAID server in another room), GTS450, 500W Seasonic PSU, BluRay/HD-DVD combo drive, iMon VFD in LianLi PC-C32B case. All HTPCs in house run J. River Media Center 17. Each HTPC's playback can be controlled and/or synchronised from any other.

Picasa Gallery of the construction of my Transformer home theatre.

It's a Transformer because it switches from gym to home theatre in about 20 minutes, when I'm alone - or 5 minutes with 2 helpers.

To:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-19-2011, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

A few things left to do, as always. I'm looking to rebuild the two 40"x64"x12" platforms that make up the back raised seating. One of them, at least causes some problems and rattles badly with the Buttkicker LFE during intense scenes.
I'll have to do some looking up, but any advice is appreciated. It'll be made out of plywood to keep weight down - needs to be movable by a single person.
post #3 of 4 Old 10-19-2011, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post

PL400 and a big box of screws.

Why two center channels and what looks like two pair of left and right mains?

Thanks for the materials recommendation.

There are 4 centre channels - two above and two below the screen, wired in series parallel. This keeps the load at 8 Ohms and gives a good impression of dialogue coming from centre-screen, in lieu of an acoustically transparent screen. It works very well.

The room is an 11.2 ready system for Dts:X Neo for example, or Audessey DSX. Currently only 9.2 can be active with my Onkyo NR5007 AVR, in either wide or high configurations in addition to the traditional 7.1/7.2. The outer front speakers are the 'wides', and there are high speakers too. High speakers are used for overhead effects in action movies, and the wide speakers for most other stuff, especially music concerts. The sound stage expands significantly with the Audessey DSX DSPs.
post #4 of 4 Old 10-20-2011, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post

Wow, that's a lot of speakers. Puts the surround in the surround sound I'm sure. The exposed framing on the ceiling? Are those floor joists/rafters?
I did the same thing with my upstairs bathroom but wrapped it in 1X lumber. Great way to give a standard or low height room a little lift as long as sound control isn't a concern.

I'm not sure what you mean by wrapping the floor joists in lumber. Did you see the whole gallery from the Picasa link - the captions to each photo have a lot of the information, including the rationale for the speaker layouts.

For the centre channel, with a fairly large (120", 16:9) screen, I didn't want a single speaker above or below the screen, as it would sound as if that's exactly where the speech was coming from. The picture of the 'finished' product above has all the front wall speakers labelled.

1 = Fronts
2 = Wides
3 = Heights
4 = Centre.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page