Basement Home Theater Ventilation - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 40 Old 11-03-2011, 08:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I was looking at this fan for similar use.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...TF8&s=hi&psc=1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 Old 11-03-2011, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Looks like a good fan

Ted

The Soundproofing Company
post #33 of 40 Old 11-03-2011, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I installed a Fantech FG6 in the equipment room outside of my theater. I use this to draw air out of the room when I am in the theater. The fan dumps the air into the return. I use a variable switch to control the speed of the fan.

My room is sealed rather well and I have three 6" outlets in the room and one large return. I use the fan on this return to boost the amount of air pulled from the room.

Now, I DO have an issue with the room warming up when there are 4 or 5 adults watching a movie, even with the fan running. The issue comes from the fact that the basement and first floor share one HVAC system. When the room fills up, I need to run the AC to cool it. This causes the first floor to become really chilly.

To solve this, I'm looking to install a minisplit in the theater to provide cooling, paricularly in the winter. If I were building again, I'd install a separate HVAC zone for the basement. That way I'd have full control of the temperature in the basement, separate from the rest of the house.

The take away here is don't underestimate the need for cooling in the theater, even in the winter.

CJ

Follow my build here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #34 of 40 Old 11-03-2011, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for your experience Carboramadum.

So I will definitely be going the route of exchanging air with the rest of the basement. What does everyone think of this fan:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Inch-Hydro...item25663b61c1

It says 52db for sound. Is this a good rating keeping in mind that it will be located outside of the room with insulated flex duct and a dead vent?

Or possibly this fan:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Inline-Fan...ht_1177wt_1110

A DIY high school project (now complete and being enjoyed everyday)

post #35 of 40 Old 11-04-2011, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Both fans look fine. You will want to put them on a variable speed switch so that you can adjust the speed (and thus the resulting noise that is put into the room).

Good luck and keep posting your progress!

CJ

Follow my build here:
post #36 of 40 Old 11-04-2011, 05:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Awesome! Has anyone put them on a thermostat? Maybe an attic fan control? Or did you find the variable speed control to be more effective?

post #37 of 40 Old 11-04-2011, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

I have seen folks use them with thermostatically actuates switches. In my setup, I need the fan running while there are 4 or more folks in the room. I use the variable speed fan to control the amount of noise the fan puts out. If it's an action movie, the fan is open all the way. If a quiet movie, only about 1/2 speed. I do intend to relocate the fan farther away from the theater or install a dead vent, but that's farther down on the list of things to do (I'm currently renovating the laundry room).

Follow my build here:
post #38 of 40 Old 11-04-2011, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

I almost did a thermostat actuated controller, but instead I just leave the two fans (one supply, one return) on at 50% speed perpetually. You can use a low cost variable speed fan controller found at Lowes, etc. They are used to control motors, and re not to be confused with a rotary dimmer switch for a light

Ted

The Soundproofing Company
post #39 of 40 Old 11-04-2011, 01:36 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 610
My equipment closet Fantech fan is controlled by a line voltage attic fan thermostat.

You would need to find one that goes down low enough for your comfort zone.

PROJECTS:

post #40 of 40 Old 11-06-2011, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

What about one of those ceiling fan switches with the remote? Would that work? Then I could control it with the Harmony which would be nice.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page