The Acme Studios 3D HT - in an apartment! - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 46 Old 11-05-2011, 05:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Now I got 2!

Nope. I'm in New York City! The city so nice, they named it twice. What they left out of that sentence, is that you have to pay for it both times too!!

He just told me what he wanted, and I made it and mailed it to him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 46 Old 11-05-2011, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter

OK - the whole point of this thread was supposed to be how, since my life has been basically a real life version of a non stop string of looney toons cartoons - and as my father likes to say every time I take on a project it's like watching watching WILIE E. COYOTE work in person, I decided to name it the ACME STUDIOS 3D THEATER.

But I haven't done much speaking about the 3D part yet - So now, I shall remedy that.
1st off REMEMBER PEOPLE - I'M A BACHELOR I live alone, and like it that way! Basically, I'm Oscar Madison with a projector, OK? So before you go, "eew! that's horrible looking!", remember THIS theater is all about performance - and comfort - not looks! OK, with that disclaimer made......

I ran out and got another 10X5 rug, and pulled an old coffee table-if you can even call it that- out of the attic at my mothers house. That glass circle on that pedestal has a 4 foot diameter and is an inch thick! If you hit it with a hammer, you'd break the hammer! That sucker weighs a TON! Anyway, it was within reach, it was free, so it went in the theater.

BTW, I couldn't care less what it looks like - THAT - is without a doubt the most comfortable couch on the face of the planet! If anyone of you ever happens to come into the city for whatever reason, your more than welcome to drop by and try it out for yourself. There just simply are no words to describe adequately enough the pure bliss that is had by laying on that couch and watching a 3D movie.

Regardless of what the Bible says, THIS is the view from heaven!

a few shots of the imax intro...

...and just cuz I never took 'em before, here's some pics with the 3D on

The Onkyo HT-750 came w/ a down firing sub woofer that can punch you in the chest harder than mike tyson - I mounted it in a rumble box and put it under the couch touching the back spar of the support beam.
This next scene actually felt like you were IN the shuttle as it took off!

Who here remembers the good ol days of 'SENSOROUND'? LOL The 1st major experement in LFE in commercial theaters used during the showing of Earthquake, with heston I believe, back in '78
post #33 of 46 Old 11-05-2011, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Here's something I found a little surprising - I measured the diagonal of the screen, I didn't expect this...it's

174 inches!

*erroneously reported as 156in. earlier.

This time, I had a friend help me when I re-measured.

post #34 of 46 Old 03-07-2013, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

WOW! Has it really been that long since I posted? Man, just goes to show you, when your living room is also your HT, the rate at which time passes really kicks into over drive. I guess that could also be an age thing too, but, I think I'd rather blame it on the HT. Just feels, ...I dunno, ...safer, somehow.

It's been 2 YEARS already?!?! Srsly? wow.

Well, CLEARLY then - it's time for an update.

OK. here it is... wire covers. I know what your thinking, to quote Dom DeLuise, "Nice, nice. ...Not THRILLING, but nice."

But, I'm not just talking 'a few zip ties, some accordion wrap, then stuff the whole bundle behind the couch' kind of covers. No no. I'm talking full blown, wrap around the entire room wire channel. The kind that can be painted and will then hopefully sort of disappear, or at the very least fade into the background enough so as to not draw attention to itself. Since I live in an old apt.building(circa 1950), and since I have poured stone slab walls, I always knew that hiding cables was going to be an issue. So much so, in fact, that the way I chose to deal with the issue when I first made the theater, was to just simply ignore the problem altogether. It was, I must say, by far the most cost effective method there was, but, obviously, it did leave a little to be desired when taking into account the whole 'results' side of the equation.

So, after 2 years of looking at these swooping and dangling wires, I am now finally going to do something about it. The 1st question I usually ask myself before I begin any project is this: "How much am I really willing to spend on this?" Over the years, I've found that knowing the answer to that question 1st, makes all other subsequent decisions much, much easier to make. Especially since the very next question usually seems to be, "Is it, in fact, even possible to do the project for that price?" to which the answer is usually a resounding NO, and there you have it. Project completed in record time, and I didn't even have to leave the couch.

For this project however, the answer was unfortunately YES. So, after surmounting the herculean task of actually getting off my couch - that's a whole 'nother post in itself - I set about researching the issue. The 1st thing I discovered is this... good wire hiders/covers are f@#$%ing expensive! I'm sorry, but 12 to 25 bucks for an 5 to 8(sometimes 10) foot section is wayyyy too much. For me anyway. I'm sure the guy selling them thinks it's just fine, but that's a different issue all together. Anyway, I simply refuse to pay that kind of money for what is essentially a pair of Hot Wheels tracks glued together. BING! Lightbulb over the head!!! Time to hit my old toy chest and find that hot wheels set. I had miles of that track when I was a kid. All I gotta do is take 1 section, flip it over, glue it on top of another section, and WA LA - instant wire channel - for like 30 cents a foot. Now THAT, I can live with. At least, that was the plan anyway.

Ya know, about 500 years ago some guy with a giant beard and a wacky collar said something about plans. And mice. I don't know how the hell he knew 500 years ago what I was going to be doing this weekend, ...but he was right. He musta had stone walls too.

Anyway, I pop over to Mom's and go digging thru the attic to find all my old Hot Wheels stuff. After a (not so) quick stroll down memory lane, I strike gold. The Box O' Hot Wheels as dad called it. Of course, the 27 miles of bright florescent day glo orange track that was in there was still rolled up like a firehose. Actually, since I was pretty hungry at the time it looked more like a gargantuan fruit roll up to me, but you get the general idea. You gotta remember, rolling up a hot wheels track like a firehose was the only acceptable form of storage back in those days. Well, if it were still those days, or even reasonably close to those days, or hell, even not so reasonably close to those days, then the wound up track would've UNwound with no problem. But since it was THESE days, which basically made THOSE days, ancient history, ...well, let's just say there was an 'issue' unrolling the track. So, after sweeping up the chunky pile of bright orange sand in the attic, it was back to the drawing board. This particular drawing board was made of paper. On it I drew some numbers and took it to the bank, where they, in turn, used it to draw money out of my account. With money now in hand, I went home and drew some hot water from the tap to get all the sticky orange crap off me, then drewV (groan) to home depot to buy some real wire covers. They were out. Went to Lowes, but they were out too. So I tried Wallmart. OUT Sears OUT WTF?!?! Who's hoarding all the wire covers? I stopped in at best buy, they weren't out, but it didn't matter anyway, cuz I couldn't buy it there just on principle. The principle being they wanted 35 bucks for a 10ft section.

Time to hit the 'Ol standby - ebay. They were out.

LOL no, just kidding. But they might as well have been, because with the shipping it was gunna cost like 300 bucks. That's too much just to hide some wires. Then as luck would have it, the following day, I see workmen all over the building complex installing new wiring for the fire alarm system. What luck! They have a PALLET of boxes of wire covering. I couldn't believe it. I talked to 1 of the workers, tossed him a 50, and wouldn't ya know it, somehow they accidentally left an entire unopened box of wire covers - 100feet of the stuff, right in front of my door - when they left. Man, I love livin' in New York City!

I'll post some pictures of the work as it progresses over the weekend.
post #35 of 46 Old 03-10-2013, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Very interesting thread.

If only I knew more.
post #36 of 46 Old 03-18-2013, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, got the wire raceway up on 3 walls of the theater (left, screen, and right - displayed in that order below)

...and here's a shot from the back of the room.

post #37 of 46 Old 07-03-2013, 01:10 AM - Thread Starter

So I'm sittin on the couch, munchin away on some popcorn, watching Oz in 3D, ...that's Oz as in 'The Great and Powerful', not the jail one, good flick btw, anyway, I'm sittin there munchin away, and all of a sudden, outta the blue - BOOM it hits me, - FLOOR LIGHTING. Gotta do floor lighting. Don't ask me why or how these things happen, I don't have the foggiest. I'm as much of an innocent bystander in all this as you are! The only difference between us, dear reader, is that I was simply closer to me than you were at the time, so I was just in a better position to take pictures. smile.gif I had no more idea than you did about what was going to happen, but having been thru this once or tw....entyfour thousand times before, I'm pretty good at documenting the results now. Kinda like Peter Parker and Spiderman, if you catch my drift. biggrin.gif

ANYWAY...allow me to introduce you to the right side wall of my theater.
Wall, meet readers, Readers, meet wall....

Now it's not too clear in this pic, but if you look close, right below the level of the shelf that the popcorn machine is on, you'll see there's wiremolding on the wall, then about a foot of bare wall, then the regular baseboard molding. This pic is taken from my point of view on the couch. The blue scrunched up thing in the foreground is a sweatjacket that got pushed out of the way. It had mistakenly confused my couch for a hanger. Stupid jacket. It learned it's lesson tho I think. Back to the wall. Now if you were a mouse, and you followed the edge of this wall, as mice do, you'd actually wind up in the bathroom. Don't worry, there's no actual mice in there, that was just a verbal device to make a point. That point being.of course, there's a bathroom on the other side of this wall. Prolly woulda been easier just to say that, huh?. Oh well.

There have been a few occasions, when seated on this couch with a guest, while watching previews, or chatting, or ...whatever(*eyebrow waggle*) she would ask, "Mind if I use your bathroom?" The problem here, is that this usually happens after the lights have gone off. Having lived here for so long, I can easily walk thru here in total darkness no problem, but I certainly can't expect anyone else to be able to do that, especially someone who's never been here before. So saying, "Sure, no problem, the bathroom is on the other side of that wall." isn't really much help to them, when THIS is all they see...

Believe it or not, that's not just a black square. LOOK CLOSE That's a pic of what you see from the couch when all the lights are out. Granted the pj isn't on either, but I'm making a point here, and that point is this; Saying, "Sure, no problem, the bathroom is on the other side of that wall." isn't really very helpful - IF YOU CAN'T SEE THE DAM WALL! and THAT dear readers, brings us back to FLOOR LIGHTS!!

I envision the conversation going something like this...
"Mind if I use your bathroom?"
"Sure, no problem, the bathroom is on the other side of that wall. Just follow the red line."
"What red line?"
(presses button on remote)
"THAT ONE"
"OH COOL! *giggles*

Now from the couch, the wall is only a step or 2, so to walk to the red line is a no brainer.(a very sought after quality in many overnight guests biggrin.gif)
When you get there, it's very easy to see the line proceeds to the end of the wall and wraps around the edge.
*more giggles*

and finally it wraps around again, albeit just a tiny bit to bring you to the doorway of, the much sought after bathroom.

Here, this might make a bit more sense out of the whole 'follow the red line' thing
The bathroom is the doorway facing you, when you get to the end of the line.

Thankfully, it's just as easy to follow back to the couch
wink.gifwink.gif nudge nudge
PaulFSemicolen likes this.
post #38 of 46 Old 07-14-2013, 04:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Man.... ive missed this thread!

Follow my thread here
post #39 of 46 Old 08-09-2013, 01:59 AM - Thread Starter

Why THANK YOU Dingaling, that's very kind of you to say.

Just for that, you get 10% off if you ever want a mural! biggrin.gif
post #40 of 46 Old 08-09-2013, 04:46 AM - Thread Starter

Ya know, I just realized something. While I think I did a decent job of telling you WHY and WHAT I did as far as 'under baseboard trim' lighting goes, I completely spaced on the fact
that I totally neglected to tell you HOW I did it. SO, here's the peek behind the curtain...

OK, the whole shabang cost about 25 bux total, and took an hour, maybe an hour and a 1/2 to do. The thing that was important to me, was that the lights
be turned on and off by remote control, independently of anything else in the room. Now since baseboard trim is wider at the bottom than at the top,
my initial idea was to simply raise the baseboard trim about a 3/4 inch, and tuck some rope light in the gap. The bottom of the trim would stick out
far enough to cover the rope light and make it kind of invisible.

Nope. Rope light is thicker, and it looked lousy anyway.

Then I found SMD LED tape.

This stuff was a Godsend, It's got a good, strong sticky back, the lights are only like 1mm thick, and are nice and bright. I got 30ft of 1 color tape for
15 bux off ebay. Now I just had to figure out how to cheaply, and as indiscreetly as possible, power AND remotely control the tape. They sell kits that come with a
remote and a power supply, and the lights flash and fade and change color, but I didn't want all that. I just wanted 1 color, on and off and that's it. It took about
15 min of rooting around on ebay to solve both my problems, AND I did it for less than 10 bux!

Problem #1 - getting power to the tape. Solved for $2.99

You just slip this onto the contacts end of the tape, snap it closed, plug the other end into a 12v wall wart, and wa la, your done.

Problem #2 - remotely controlling the tape. Solved for 5.99

This little gizmo ROCKS! and for only for 6 bux it's a steal! It's a TRAINABLE outlet switch. You plug it into an outlet, and train it, by pointing ANY IR REMOTE YOU ALREADY OWN
at it, and press a rarely used button. From then on, that button now controls the outlet. Isn't that GREAT?! I know, ...I'm easily impressed.

SO,I raised the baseboard trim 1/4 in.
*sorry, forgot to take this pic*

stuck the tape to the bottom of it.
forgot to take this 1 too, sorry.

connected the end of the tape to the plug

connected the outlet remote to the outlet.

connected the wall wart to the outlet remote

then just connected the tape plug to the wall wart

Now the least used button on my remote ain't the least used button no more! LOL!!
(scroll up to post 37 to see the lights in action)
post #41 of 46 Old 02-04-2014, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Folks,

Not much new here. Just been enjoying the heck out of my theater. The superbowl was AWESOME on my wall. Since, I made a few pennies on the game, I thought I should throw a few of them back into the theater that gave me so much pleasure watching the game in the 1st place. There's a theater name in this thread, but unless someone reads this thread - they would have no idea. So, I thought that's the problem I thought I should address. What do you think of my solution. Cost about 40 bux, is about 60in wide, about 20 in tall, 3 color vinyl stick on. Couldn't be happier with it.

post #42 of 46 Old 05-09-2014, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quick little update - in the beginning of this thread, I had a 4ft round, 1in thick, glass coffee table in front of my couch. This giant glass disc simply laid on wood stump like thing, and that was the coffee table. It looked cool as hell, but the problem with it, was, well - it was round! Think about it - round table, in front of a couch. It's ok if your alone, sitting in the center of the couch, then the table is right there in front of you, so it's all good.

If you have company however, - friend company, not overnight company - then the 2 of you are on the couch, following the '1 cushion in between' rule, and now neither 1 of you has a table. The table, being round, well you see the problem. The part of the table that would be in front of you if the glass were square - isn't there, cuz the stupid thing is round. Besides, the glass was too reflective, and it just felt too small anyway. I now believe that there's something about corners on a table that is just necessary, both physically AND emotionally. Over time, a table without corners will inevitably just start to piss you off.

Solution - yank the annoyingly round glass table and replace it with 2, yes 2, LIFT TOP coffee tables These things are SOO awesome - especially for eating and gaming! Each 1 is about 3x2 and the entire top lifts off and comes up and forward on very strong hinge bracket thingys, so the whole table top is now like a big tv tray. It's the greatest! I'll take some pics shortly, but I just wanted to get this update in. Lift Top Coffee Tables - look into getting some if you have the need, you definitely won't be sorry!
post #43 of 46 Old 06-16-2014, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter

Table Shots, Jello Shots, Body Shots and associated revelry equipment! \0/ WooHoo!

ok, so there's no pics of the jello or body shots, cuz I was so hammered after a few(dozen) or so of those, man, I couldn't even see straight, never mind take any pictures. But believe me when I tell you, you DEFINITELY wish I woulda! OHHH those cuervo girls were soooooooooo hot. I love when the booze companies send out those 'Sales Reps/Marketing Assistants' (read locally hired strippers/booth babes/escorts) to hand out new products. What an awesome night. Anyway...

As far as table shots go, coffee tables that is, here's a few shots of the tables I mentioned in the previous post. The 1st 4 pics are with flash on. The following 3 are with flash off and give you the perspective as if you were sitting on the couch and looked from left to right(ie the pics go left, center, right)

Yes, that is an electric bike. I built it myself and love it to death! Here in NYC it is a complete and total God send! Cheaper than a cab, easier to park than a car, and quicker than waiting for the bus or subway. Not to mention it's very environmentally friendly, or green, or whatever those eco wack jobs are always yammering on about

and just for poops and giggles, here's a quick little gif I whipped up showing these bad boys in action...

Last edited by domz777; 06-16-2014 at 08:33 AM.
post #44 of 46 Old 06-29-2014, 12:19 AM - Thread Starter

There's a big mural sale going on now, so I'm thinking of replacing my falcon mural with something else. I was thinking maybe a road runner/Wile E Coyote mural, but I'm not sure. Any suggestions? Thoughts?

BTW, those of you that want a mural of your own, PM me and I'll give you all the sale info.
post #45 of 46 Old 08-09-2014, 10:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
ofcourse there's always the ...RASTERBATOR
post #46 of 46 Old 08-10-2014, 05:49 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Looks like a very nice low cost theater, congrats. One question: why don't you try making a border for the "screen"? It'd improve the perceived image quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulls View Post
ofcourse there's always the ...RASTERBATOR
Good call. It's a great little software, I used it years ago to make a huge Metallica poster to my girlfriend, I got great results. And the poster looked nice too.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page