The Acme Studios 3D HT - in an apartment! - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

Old 01-20-2015, 07:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Wow that mural is awsome!!!!

G-Fest!!!!!!
I am SOOO there!!!
The GF's mom and sis live in Chicago, and I'm not all that far away.
She is going to be so thrilled to go, haha!!!

I will be sure to meet up with you!!
I'll even wear my Godzilla slippers!!
Let me know of any developements!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2015, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Cool! Looking forward to seeing those slippers. LOL

Last edited by domz777; 01-23-2015 at 11:03 PM.
Old 01-27-2015, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

Just had to post this

8¼ feet tall & a little over 5½ feet wide!
Note the YARD STICK on the left - it looks like a toothpick LOL

again, these are just image tiles laying on the floor, that's why you can see tile lines - when installed on a wall, the lines will be invisible
Old 03-13-2015, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Haven't had a chance to read through this thread yet, but I have to say, seeing your whole wall turn into a screen reminds me of Fahrenheit 451.

I'll have to check back about your raceway wiring...need to do something similar.
domz777 likes this.

JoshK on most other audio forums
Quantity only when quality is ensured.
Old 03-13-2015, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

Believe me when I tell you, when you live in an apt, and your single - there is NO COOLER THING than having a floor to ceiling, corner to corner image. It is simply mind blowing! I'm so glad I did this instead of getting an actual screen. This is SOOOOOOO much better. Add 7.1, a beer fridge, and the most comfortable couch you can find, into the mix, and maaaaan, you'll never leave the house again LOL I have not seen the sun in like 4 months LOL

And when you bring company home on the weekends, or whenever - man, it's like the spanish inquisition, cuz NOOOOO OOOONNNNEEEE expects the span, erm, FLOOR TO CEILING IMAGE in an apartment! Our chief weapon is SIZE. Size and resolution. Our TWO - 2 chief weapons are size, size and resolution, ...and an almost fanatical devotion to the AVS. Our THREE - 3 chief weapons are size, resolution and, ... oh bugger it!

Seriously tho, if you throw the pj on when they're not expecting anything - your, shall we say, 'F-ability quotient' in her eyes will SKY ROCKET! Guaranteed! - Trust me on this LOL and if you got some cool gadgets, and remote lighting and stuff. PFFFT - your in there before the opening credits even finish LOL
flvinny521 likes this.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter

I've gotten several requests for info on the upcoming godzilla convention, G-FEST, so in case anyone else is interested, all the info on it can be found here
Old 04-15-2015, 01:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioJosh View Post
... seeing your whole wall turn into a screen reminds me of Fahrenheit 451.
Really? I haven't seen it. My full wall screen always reminded me of the kitchen wall scene in total recall - the 1 with arnold, not the 'new' one.

BTW folks, just as a heads up, I won't be able to make it to gfest this year. Maybe next year the timing will be better
Old 04-15-2015, 06:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Fahrenheit 451 is a classic dystopian novel in the same vein as 1984, Animal Farm, Brave New World. Its about a firefighter would is in charge of burning books. But folks have walls in their place that act as entertainment like interactive movies. I haven't looked whether it was ever made into a movie (irony).

Looks like it was back in 1966. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060390/

JoshK on most other audio forums
Quantity only when quality is ensured.
Old 04-15-2015, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioJosh View Post
Fahrenheit 451 is a classic dystopian novel in the same vein as 1984, Animal Farm, Brave New World. Its about a firefighter would is in charge of burning books. But folks have walls in their place that act as entertainment like interactive movies. I haven't looked whether it was ever made into a movie (irony).

Looks like it was back in 1966. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060390/
I'm familiar with that ray bradbury story. He's 1 of my favorite authors. I always found it kind of interesting he wrote a BOOK, about a society that burns books. LOL I just find that funny.

Yea, the original movie was made in 66, but I think there was also a more recent 1 made - an updated version, if you will, called "451". I don't know why, but for some reason I keep thinking that Sam L Jackson had something to do with it. This is just off the top of my head, so I could be completely wrong about all this LOL

BTW, hope your build is coming along great! ...and don't forget when you want a full wall mural for it - I'm your guy!!! LOL
Old 06-12-2015, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki Steve View Post
This was a great read, I've enjoyed your work and writing (just stumbled apon this).
It was interesting to see your room evolve over time, and look forward to more updates from you!!
One of these days I will even get off my a** and take some pics of my own "den of tranquility", you know, when the movie is over lol !!
Thank you very much Steve! That's very kind of you to say and it is greatly appreciated. I know I babble on WAYYYY to much, but hey - that's me. I'm a talker. Your typical, loud mouth, overly opinionated, not too bright, new yawka! But, being the blabbermouth that I am, I figure I might as well at least try to make it as funny and enjoyable as I can.

I do this because I think about 50% of people on the forums barely read anything at all. They just scroll thru the threads looking only at the pics, ignoring the text till they SEE a PIC of something they like, THEN they read. This is based solely on my own method for selecting what to read LOL

Either that, or they're doing research on something specific, and just read everything about that particular subject they can get their hands on, then they split, go try what they just read, then wind up spending the rest of the evening either at home depot or the emergency room. This is also based solely on me.

Now since there ain't a snowballs chance of MY thread EVER showing up in anyone's research, LOL, and since I don't really have any cool pics to get people's attention enough for them to stop and read, I feel most people that do read what I write, pretty much started doing so, by accident. Um, like you. LOL, so, I figure I should at least make it good enough that they'll want to continue. That way, it turns out to be a happy accident. And believe me, there's not very many things that can have the word accident associated with them, and still be a good thing LOL So, I see that as kind of a win/win.
Old 01-07-2016, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by domz777 View Post
Thank you very much Steve! That's very kind of you to say and it is greatly appreciated. I know I babble on WAYYYY to much, but hey - that's me. I'm a talker. Your typical, loud mouth, overly opinionated, not too bright, new yawka! But, being the blabbermouth that I am, I figure I might as well at least try to make it as funny and enjoyable as I can.

I do this because I think about 50% of people on the forums barely read anything at all. They just scroll thru the threads looking only at the pics, ignoring the text till they SEE a PIC of something they like, THEN they read. This is based solely on my own method for selecting what to read LOL

Either that, or they're doing research on something specific, and just read everything about that particular subject they can get their hands on, then they split, go try what they just read, then wind up spending the rest of the evening either at home depot or the emergency room. This is also based solely on me.

Now since there ain't a snowballs chance of MY thread EVER showing up in anyone's research, LOL, and since I don't really have any cool pics to get people's attention enough for them to stop and read, I feel most people that do read what I write, pretty much started doing so, by accident. Um, like you. LOL, so, I figure I should at least make it good enough that they'll want to continue. That way, it turns out to be a happy accident. And believe me, there's not very many things that can have the word accident associated with them, and still be a good thing LOL So, I see that as kind of a win/win.
Just to let you know, I read it all. Very entertaining!

"You know what I really wish would come to Marthaville? Buffy."
Old 04-28-2016, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, it's been quite a while since I posted here, and that's just because I wanted to wait till I had a REALLY cool idea for a new addition to my pathetic theater before I bored you all to tears with my babbling again. I mean, c'mon, let's face it, when the thread is more entertaining than the actual theater is, you don't really have too much to brag about, do ya? If I can pull off my new idea however, then at least I'll be 1 step closer to not having to be embarrassed by this poor 2nd rate set-up of mine. There's just 1 problem. I don't really think my idea is actually do-able. Not the way I want it to be done, anyway. BUT, I could be wrong about that. I probably am. I Hope I am, actually. But, I don't really think I am. Just in case tho, I'm reaching out to you guys, to see if somewhere out there in the ginormously massive and staggeringly beautiful intellect of the colossal AVS global overmind, there's some fact that has eluded me that will actually make my super cool idea actually do-able after all. You'll see what I mean.

OK let me start out by painting you a picture. Naa, never mind, I'll just show it to you.

There you go. Your welcome.

Now, that is the theater's logo. It is IN the theater, so you can clearly see it as your milling around, chatting, looking for a seat, getting popcorn, and waiting for the movie to start. Then, as the crowd settles into their seats, the room begins to dim a little to signal the movie is about to start. 1 minute later, the room goes even dimmer, and all attention turns to the screen as it begins to brighten. RIGHT THEN! THAT'S!! when the magic to happen.

..........................TA DAAAA

Basically, this is what I want....

Lights on/Lights off

and here's why I think it's impossible to do - I want it to be done with glow in the dark paint. NOT FLORESCENT/ BLACK LIGHT PAINT.

Also, it MUST be 100% completely invisible - when the lights are on. This is supposed to be a surprise after all, so if there's even the tiniest, slightly visible HINT that
there is an image painted on the wall, it will completely destroy the the surprise, and there's no point to even trying it...

BUT
if there is some brand of gitd paint out there that I missed in my months and months of searching, that can do orange, yellow, black, and brown, be invisible in the light, but look at least 1/2 way decent in the dark, then Please, PRETTY PLEASE someone point me at it.

Now, just for my own ego - completely ignoring the doable/not doable issue for a moment...

What do you guys think of this idea?

Last edited by domz777; 04-28-2016 at 02:28 PM.
Old 04-29-2016, 06:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Have you thought about projecting the picture. There are instant on mini projectors out there that you could use. This would make the possibilities endless. Now you could have a scene instead of just a picture.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

If only I knew more.
Old 05-01-2016, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

That was actually my original idea. But after I thought about for a min, I realized I would have to ceiling mount a pico pj, and run wires and control stuff and all that, just to add a little 'bonus feature' to my room, and getting it to fade properly would be another level of complication I'd have to add to the project. Just seems like too much to put in for so little pay off. The greatest thing about using glow in the dark paints instead, is it's a 1 shot, paint it and forget it, deal.

Plus I really like the idea that as soon as the room goes dark, we'll see wile e coyote, but then, starting almost immediately, the image will slowly begin to fade, and not be a distraction. 15-20 min into the movie, he'll be totally gone. Which is exactly what I want. A slow, gradually fading image. Now I just gotta find the right dam paint. It's GOTTA exist, somewhere in this world. I just have to find it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement