post #91 of 405 Old 03-06-2012, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

Very cool. Yeah, I guess if that is what your pursuit will be, better be pretty well equipped in the math department. Gotta say though that I like building theaters WAY more than I like solving math problems.

Regards,

RTROSE

Probably because there is a great reward at the end. While it is pretty rewarding to solve the integral of .5(2+2sin(theta))^2 from 0 to 2pi there aren't any movies in 1080p with lossless surround sound afterwards.

The Austin Home Theater:
A DIY high school project (now complete and being enjoyed everyday)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 405 Old 03-09-2012, 01:14 PM

Liked: 12
Just saw your thread and read through it. Nice work! I'm getting smoked by a senior! lol Everyone has challenges I guess. Mine is getting home from work at 6pm, putting the kids to bed at 8, then trying my best not to wake up my 18 month old while making progress! I do quiet things during the week, and make a bit more noise on weekends. What was that about the tortoise and the hare? Slow and steady and we're all getting there. Keep it up! Can't wait to see your next update. I've got some big plans for the weekend, though I have to work tomorrow morning and then have birthday party number 1 (of 4) for my 3 year old.
post #93 of 405 Old 03-09-2012, 01:14 PM

Liked: 10
Great job just started doing my research and planing, after viewing your build/progress really giving me the itch.
post #94 of 405 Old 03-09-2012, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy98mtu View Post

Just saw your thread and read through it. Nice work! I'm getting smoked by a senior! lol Everyone has challenges I guess. Mine is getting home from work at 6pm, putting the kids to bed at 8, then trying my best not to wake up my 18 month old while making progress! I do quiet things during the week, and make a bit more noise on weekends. What was that about the tortoise and the hare? Slow and steady and we're all getting there. Keep it up! Can't wait to see your next update. I've got some big plans for the weekend, though I have to work tomorrow morning and then have birthday party number 1 (of 4) for my 3 year old.

Thanks randy!

I know how things can get hectic sometimes trying to find the time to work on the theater and fulfill all the other commitments. As my mom always says though you work on it when you can and it will get done.

Ben;

I'm honored that you made your first post on my build thread. Careful of "the itch". It quickly becomes something that no matter how hard you scratch it won't go away.

Pics coming later tonight. Stay tuned!

The Austin Home Theater:

post #95 of 405 Old 03-09-2012, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have been waiting to post these pictures since I started the thread. To me once drywall gets put on the walls you cross from the building a room stage to the finishing a room stage. I know that there is still a lot of work to do before movie time but the fact that I can actually walk into a room now makes me feel like a kid on Christmas morning.

Well here it goes:

Front:

Back:

Screen wall from back:

Electrical boxes. The 4-gang is for the dimmer switches and the single gang is for the fan controller.

I am ecstatic!

Keep in mind that this is only the first layer. I get to do it all again!

The spot in the back is still open to bring in the drywall for the second layer.

So the next steps are to seal any larger gaps with acoustical caulk and then bring in the drywall for the second layer before sealing up the opening in the back. Then I'll install the projector backer box in that opening. Then it's Green Glue time baby!

People had told me how much the room transforms once the drywall goes up but it really is magical when you experience it. I sat on my step stool for ten minutes just staring at the screen wall. I know it sounds cheesy but I really have never been so proud of something that I have accomplished. The whole scope of this build and what I have learned and gained from it just hit me tonight. It is so exciting to see something that you planned and designed come together in a way even better than you could have imagined.

I'm looking forward to getting more done throughout this weekend and I will keep you all posted!

Thank you to all!

The Austin Home Theater:

post #96 of 405 Old 03-09-2012, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Gotta love the drywall. You are right, it is definitely a milestone of the build for sure. It sure dose transform the area into a room vs. just another space. Excellent progress keep this pace up and you'll be at the finish line sooner than you know.

Nice work.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #97 of 405 Old 03-10-2012, 04:08 AM

Liked: 12
Congrats! I am working towards that milestone myself. To me it was a huge accomplishment being able to get it to a list of things to do before drywall, as opposed to just being overwhelmed and not knowing where to start said list!

Looks good and have fun!
post #98 of 405 Old 03-10-2012, 11:03 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaustin View Post

I have been waiting to post these pictures since I started the thread. To me once drywall gets put on the walls you cross from the building a room stage to the finishing a room stage. I know that there is still a lot of work to do before movie time but the fact that I can actually walk into a room now makes me feel like a kid on Christmas morning.

Well here it goes:

I am ecstatic!

Keep in mind that this is only the first layer. I get to do it all again!

The spot in the back is still open to bring in the drywall for the second layer.

So the next steps are to seal any larger gaps with acoustical caulk and then bring in the drywall for the second layer before sealing up the opening in the back. Then I'll install the projector backer box in that opening. Then it's Green Glue time baby!

People had told me how much the room transforms once the drywall goes up but it really is magical when you experience it. I sat on my step stool for ten minutes just staring at the screen wall. I know it sounds cheesy but I really have never been so proud of something that I have accomplished. The whole scope of this build and what I have learned and gained from it just hit me tonight. It is so exciting to see something that you planned and designed come together in a way even better than you could have imagined.

I'm looking forward to getting more done throughout this weekend and I will keep you all posted!

Thank you to all!

Looks amazing aaustin, you should be very proud! remember that we need the infamous empty green glue shot when you're done with the second layer! Keep it up bro.
post #99 of 405 Old 03-10-2012, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Excellent work! I thought framed rooms were nice but I think drywalled rooms will be even more sweet! Definitely give you a better feel of the final size. Especially when you can't look through the walls to the other rooms. Did you get help with the drywall or man handle it yourself?
post #100 of 405 Old 03-10-2012, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks everyone! It certainly is exciting.

Vanice;
I had help carrying it downstairs and holding it on the ceiling but for the walls I did the "hug and carry method" (just copyrighted that term by the way) to get it up myself.

I sealed all of the larger gaps and got some of the second layer hung on the ceiling today. Not as much as I would have liked since I spent a good chunk of the day taking care of a family friend's son. Other commitments you know. (I'm looking at you Randy. Hope that b-day party was sweet).

Work continues tomorrow. And don't worry azula I am looking forward to snapping that picture. I have actually saved the two empty tubes I used previously for the dead vent and backer boxes so that I can have the fullest garbage can possible.

The Austin Home Theater:

post #101 of 405 Old 03-11-2012, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah,

If you use GG you are obligated to show full tubes and then a pic or two of the empties to prove that they were in fact deployed for the build.

I can't remember now who it was, but we gave'em so much grief that he went out to the big dumpster in his drive rummaged around and then took some pictures of the empties.

Don't make us put you in the same situation!

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
post #102 of 405 Old 03-11-2012, 12:30 PM

Coming along quite nicely!

Is there any benefit to applying GG along the studs before you put your first layer of drywall up?
post #103 of 405 Old 03-11-2012, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah,

If you use GG you are obligated to show full tubes and then a pic or two of the empties to prove that they were in fact deployed for the build.

I can't remember now who it was, but we gave'em so much grief that he went out to the big dumpster in his drive rummaged around and then took some pictures of the empties.

Don't make us put you in the same situation!

Regards,

RTROSE

Oh don't worry I'll take the picture. No dumpster diving for me.

The Austin Home Theater:

post #104 of 405 Old 03-11-2012, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95silverstallion View Post

Coming along quite nicely!

Is there any benefit to applying GG along the studs before you put your first layer of drywall up?

There is no benefit to putting the green glue on the studs. It needs to form a thin sheet between two flat surfaces like two pieces of drywall. There is not enough surface area for it to have an effect on a 1.5 inch wide stud.

The Austin Home Theater:

post #105 of 405 Old 03-18-2012, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It was an exciting weekend at the Austin household!

I began by putting the second layer of drywall up on the ceiling. Got to use my good friend "the T" one more time. I'm going to miss him.

R.I.P...........NOT!

I got the ceiling lights put in and on.

Then it was time for the walls. Green glue action shot!

Bam!

It's great family bonding time!

So I'm on a roll with the walls until I realize that at the top of the screen wall theirs a big hump in the second layer of drywall. The home theater gods must have really hated me for something because apparently a loose chunk of drywall from the ceiling fell between the two layers while I was installing them. I didn't realize this till about three hours after I installed the panel so rather than trying to tug the panel off the wall and risk destroying the Green Glue since it had already began to dry I cut out a section and removed the piece before patching it up. Oh well...more finish work later I guess.....

I also got the back opening framed up and the projector "backer box" installed. Before covering that up with drywall.

I worked late tonight but got the entire second layer of drywall finished!

After I hung the last piece I stood in the middle of the room and screamed multiple times as loud as I could. My mother was in the kitchen right above me and when I asked her if she heard me scream she looked shocked. She heard nothing! A little scary actually-"no one can hear you scream......"-but hey that's what I wanted!

I think everyone that ventures into soundproofing wonders if they screwed up throughout the build so it certainly was nice to know that all of the extra effort was worth it. I trusted Ted the whole time but man is it nice to know that it worked. I could still hear faint voices in the theater from upstairs but the noises were obviously coming from the unsealed door. Once I shoved a blanket in the crack underneath almost nothing got through. I'm still planning to add some extra MDF and Green Glue to the door so that should make it absolutley perfect.

Speaking of Green Glue, lets end this update with a picture I've been waiting a long time to post and a few of you have been waiting to see.

Next up is the soffit in the back and then mudding and taping.

Thanks everyone!

The Austin Home Theater:

post #106 of 405 Old 03-19-2012, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Looks good, and as I'm told as the GG cures even more it only gets better. Well done, very well done. Enjoy this milestone, but not so much that you procrastinate on the rest of the build.

Nice shot of the GG in the bucket BTW. Looking forward to seeing some more progress. Now don't you have another math test to study for?

Regards,

RTROSE

post #107 of 405 Old 03-19-2012, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Wow! Moving right along. Looking forward to seeing your finish work. Do you have colors decided?

Are you planning to finish the drywall or are you bringing someone in to do it for you? I have absolutely no plans to finish my drywall. I have patched a couple of holes and that is enough for me to know that I want nothing to do with it. And I will be finishing and entire basement as well so that's another reason. If I were to try and do it myself my build would never get past drywall.
post #108 of 405 Old 03-19-2012, 06:48 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
In for this. Your room isn't much bigger than my converted bedroom theater actually, and with shorter ceiling I believe! Actually I think we both have the same LCR speakers. Wall color in your renderings look similar to mine, too.

Heyyy, you copyin' me?? j/k you're doing a heck of a lot more work than I did. I just made a projector mount and screen, painted, covered the window, and that's about it. I'll save the actual construction for a dedicated theater room for our next house, whenever that comes along....

Good job so far!
post #109 of 405 Old 03-19-2012, 08:16 AM

Liked: 11
Congrats! Just a bit more time before you will be done with the dust!!!
post #110 of 405 Old 03-19-2012, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks guys!

RTROSE:
Don't worry I will not stop the progress. I'm heading to Home Depot after school today to get the materials for the back soffit.

My next test isn't until the end of the week in AP Physics. Good news though! I got a 105% on the last calculus test!

Vanice:
I'm thinking a dark grey for the bottom of the walls. Then chair rail and burgundy above that. Back to dark grey for the soffits and then black ceiling. I'm thinking that I'll do the whole screen wall black. I haven't decided on a trim color. Maybe black as well. I've got to go get some samples but would like any opinions that people may have.

I will be working on the finishing but have reinforcements in the form of a family friend who finishes drywall professionally. Without him I'd probably never finish.

Patrick:
I have not seen your build so I guess that I can't copy. Nice to have you along for the ride.

Nick:
I know what you mean. I can't wait to be done with the dust. I think that the worst is yet to come though with the sanding.

The Austin Home Theater:

post #111 of 405 Old 03-19-2012, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
AP Calc, been there done that, so long ago it seems like. Made a 5 on the AP exam and didn't have to take college math courses for my architectural degree because of it. But I took one anyway as an elective (Calc 2 I think, nothing but integrals if I recall). Fun stuff.
post #112 of 405 Old 03-19-2012, 11:46 AM

Looking great! I wish I could say I made that much progress recently...
post #113 of 405 Old 03-19-2012, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 View Post

AP Calc, been there done that, so long ago it seems like. Made a 5 on the AP exam and didn't have to take college math courses for my architectural degree because of it. But I took one anyway as an elective (Calc 2 I think, nothing but integrals if I recall). Fun stuff.

Yup calc is a blast. I must say that the real fun begins when you get to apply the calculus in AP Physics though. Surface integral of E(dA)=q/epsilon zero gets me excited everytime.

-Yes I am a dork-

Chimera:
Thanks for the kind words. I know how it feels when progress seems slow but don't worry you'll get there.

The Austin Home Theater:

post #114 of 405 Old 03-19-2012, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:

.....Surface integral of E(dA)=q/epsilon zero.....

makes my hair hurt!

High Desert Theater - work in progress
Building Bass - Subs

Surrounds - Easy as Pi

Storage - unRAID unDELL

post #115 of 405 Old 03-19-2012, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks guys!

RTROSE:
Don't worry I will not stop the progress. I'm heading to Home Depot after school today to get the materials for the back soffit.

My next test isn't until the end of the week in AP Physics. Good news though! I got a 105% on the last calculus test!

Well done! I got to tell ya though.....you're the guy I disliked in school because you ruined the curve!

You are like my son (he is a junior) he'll come home and tell me he got a 101% or 102% on one of his tests like it's nothing. He is angling for Vet school so he is a math and science dork too so I can identify with ya. No harm in that. I did tell him once that the richest people in the world on average are not athletes they're geeks and dorks, so it's all good!

Looking forward to seeing more progress.

Oh, and the colors? Grey and burgundy should work very well together. If you want the colors to pop you could do white trim (chair rail, and baseboards), if you want them to blend in more you could go the stain route or just go with black or a lighter grey color to tie things together.

When I went through my color selection I literately had hundreds of paint samples that I waded through before I began to narrow down my choices.

Get some samples, pin them up on the wall take some pics and let us help you decide.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #116 of 405 Old 03-19-2012, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post

makes my hair hurt!

Sorry Pete. I'll try to calm down with the calculus. I don't want anyone getting hurt reading this!

Quote:

Well done! I got to tell ya though.....you're the guy I disliked in school because you ruined the curve!

You are like my son (he is a junior) he'll come home and tell me he got a 101% or 102% on one of his tests like it's nothing. He is angling for Vet school so he is a math and science dork too so I can identify with ya. No harm in that. I did tell him once that the richest people in the world on average are not athletes they're geeks and dorks, so it's all good!

Oh I know how it feels to not be an athlete. I can lift drywall all day (ok maybe that is a little exaggerated) but when it comes to throwing and catching things I am an epic fail.

Good for him for wanting to be a Vet. I could never do that as I don't do well with the whole "cut things open" stuff. I actually fainted during the fetal pig dissection in freshman biology!

The Austin Home Theater:

post #117 of 405 Old 03-19-2012, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I wasn't going to post color ideas before the drywall finishing but since RTROSE asked I thought that I might as well get the ball rolling so that I am ready. As I said before I'm thinking that I'll do two colors on the side walls and back wall with chair rail. I'm thinking all black for the front screen wall since most of it will be covered by the screen and it will hopefully emphasize the screen more. Then black for the ceiling as well. The pictures aren't great but hopefully they can give you all an idea of what I am thinking.

Option 1:

The gray would be the bottom portion of the walls and the soffit and the red would be the top portion of the walls. Then the black for the ceiling and the screen wall.

Option 2:

A lighter gray.

Option 3:

An even lighter gray.

Option 4:

A mixture of grays.

Option 5:

Here is a dark brown that i threw in instead of the gray. So the bottom portion of the walls and the soffits would be this brown.

Option 6:

This is the gray from option one with a brighter red.

Originally I was going to do black for the bottom of the walls and the soffits as well as the ceiling but then I thought that there would be too much black and the soffits would blend in too much so I switched it to the gray. If anyone thinks that the black would be better please make your voice heard.

Currently I'm liking option1 or possibly the third gray down in option 4 because they are darker grays. I'm not a big fan of the brown or the red in option 6 (it's a little too bright). I like the red in all of the other pictures because it isn't too much of a dark burgundy but I guess it could be a little bit darker. Thoughts?

For trim I'll have the baseboards, chair rail, crown molding on soffit (with rope lights), and door casing. I think making them white will pop a little too much so right now I'm leaning towards a different shade of gray or black. Thoughts?

If you hate all of them then that's ok. I'm looking for honest opinions and any thoughts or ideas will help.

Thanks!

The Austin Home Theater:

post #118 of 405 Old 03-20-2012, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
WOW, Dude, you're SMOKIN' this thing! Nice progress. Room is coming together nicely.

I was about to chime with a tip after seeing your GG application pic, but you finished before I saw it. So I'll post it anyway for anyone at that stage.

Based on Ted's instruction sheet, when they did mine (yes, I paid to have it done because I CAN'T lift drywall all day long) they ran a bead of GG around the inside perimeter about 3-4 inches in. That gives you an area to handle the sheet without sticking your fingers into it. Then they squiggled (is that dorky enough for ya?) lines inside the bead to get the coverage indicated on the instruction sheet.

One tip on the color choice. Pick a color scheme you will like under lighted conditions. Once the lights go down, it all looks dark as long as you don't go really light (whites, besieges, eggshells, etc). I don't think the shades of grays or burgundys will really make a difference once the lights go out.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #119 of 405 Old 03-20-2012, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^^Exactly. Choose what looks best in a lighted theater as Tom stated because it all looks pretty much the same in a truly darkened theater.

I actually like option #1 the best. If you are doing a chair rail I then would go with black or one of the lighter grey options to tie it in all together. Remember for the ceiling and screen wall flat paint for the rest satin or eggshell finish. Any type of finish above that will reflect too much. Oh, and I have also learned that it is about the first four feet of ceiling/wall next to the screen that reflects the most light back to you so you can actually go lighter if you wanted too if you go darker next to the screen area. Food for thought.

Tom,

You know why he is progressing at the speed of light? Yup, I know you do. He escaped Loganing. How in the blue blazes did you let that happen? Slacker! That is what happens when YOU actually are making PROGRESS in YOUR theater.

Regards,

RTROSE
Swervepf likes this.

post #120 of 405 Old 03-20-2012, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks guys. I appreciate the advice. Option one is climbing up the ladder. I really like the grey and red.

I thought that it was recommended to do a flat finish all around. Will there be any problems with reflections if I go with a satin or eggshell? I'd like the eggshell better since it hopefully won't be as prone to scuff marks. Any recommendations on what finish to do the trim with?

Oh gosh I was waiting for the infamous "you've been loganed." That was one of the first threads I read when I joined this forum. I laughed out loud quite a bit from the sarcasm. I knew that this day would come. Hit me loganator. I'm ready.

The Austin Home Theater:

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Projectors , Onkyo Tx Nr609 7 2 Channel Network Thx Certified A V Receiver , Polk Audio Monitor 60 Am6022 A 2 Way Floorstanding Speaker Single Cherry , Polk Audio Monitor Series Cs2 Center Channel Speaker Single Cherry
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page