Forum Jump: 
 17Likes

post #271 of 1177 Old 03-04-2013, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Awesome that you're making some progress again! Keep it up! I don't know about you, but it's tough to get down there and do anything sometimes most days. I'm glad there is another build going on nearby.

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1177 Old 03-04-2013, 08:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14

Hiya, Fred!  I just read through the last few pages and wanted to say nice job so far, dude. The attention to detail is impressive, and now, you're pickin' up the pace, too.  No pressure though, I know how the weeks can slip by. Heh

Keep at it, thought.  My wife was just barely on board (like "why did I ever agree to this?!"-barely), and near the end here, she's really impressed.  It's amazing to see it come together, and you'll be there soon.  Like Mr. Tim said, once you finish the interior, you get re-invigorated.  Doing the interior room "bling" stuff requires much less motivation, and you're nearing that point.

My home theater build thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #273 of 1177 Old 03-05-2013, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Thanks for stopping by Steve - I've been following yours, it certainly is coming together! Looks great.

post #274 of 1177 Old 03-06-2013, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

What have I done?!

post #275 of 1177 Old 03-06-2013, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Beaver infestation??

post #276 of 1177 Old 03-06-2013, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

That's a good guess, but no, that's not the work of a beaver.

post #277 of 1177 Old 03-06-2013, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Possessed lawn mower?

post #278 of 1177 Old 03-06-2013, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

You're getting closer!

post #279 of 1177 Old 03-06-2013, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I made a trip out to Lowe's and Floor & Decor today. I took a small sample of the existing floor from the basement with me and asked the "flooring expert" in Lowes if he could help me match it. I've previously asked one of his coworkers if that sort of thing was possible, and got an encouraging response - so I was hopeful.

The guy at Lowe's took the sample from me and said confidently that it was maple, and then proceeded to say that they don't have anything quite like that. I think he was thrown off by the fact that it's only 3/8" thick. He was able to show me some samples that were a reasonable color match, but not very close overall. Then he looked at the back of the sample I brought and said it looked like Parquet flooring and that I should go to Floor & Decor. So I did.

The guys at Floor & Decor looked at it and concluded the same as I had browsing the samples; the flooring is engineered oak. We went over to the right section and he explained that they only had one that would be a close match. Here's the photo I took.

You can see in the picture that my sample is not as wide, but that's because of how I cut it out - the dimensions match.

So I'm not ready to buy today, obviously, but I needed to know what the process would look like in terms of timeline and availability. The guy writes down the product code (I think) and description and price and explains the availability, and I'm on my way.

Back at home, I look it up on their website, and I don't think I've got the right product number. I'm pretty sure the product we looked at was labeled "rustic" and the code he gave me come to this:

Which is supposed to be "natural" not "rustic." The rustic oak is the next picture, but neither product matches the price he gave me. This one is labeled on the website as being 5" wide, so it can't be right. dagnabbit.

He also explained that there was no matching stair bullnose, which I will need 40 or 50 feet of. He says I'll need to have someone mill me some and then stain it myself. I hope there's a better way.

post #280 of 1177 Old 03-06-2013, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The jigsaw mangled OSB picture is what you get when you give and ARTEEST (me) a circular saw, unlimited time, and some drain pipes to get around. Picture Texas Chainsaw Massacre, but with a circular saw.

post #281 of 1177 Old 03-06-2013, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Have you considered solid treads instead of using the flooring on your steps? Then you wouldn't need the bullnose.

Nice work cutting that piece to fit, BTW. That sort of thing is a real time consuming pain.

post #282 of 1177 Old 03-06-2013, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Hey Fred,

That flooring looks like white oak. At 3/8" thick you may want to check out someplace like lumber liquidators. Or maybe you can source just the nosing there.

Is it nail down/glue down?

Tim

ICC Certified.

||
||
||

post #283 of 1177 Old 03-06-2013, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Tim View Post

Hey Fred,

That flooring looks like white oak. At 3/8" thick you may want to check out someplace like lumber liquidators. Or maybe you can source just the nosing there.

Is it nail down/glue down?

Tim

I wondered about lumber liquidators as well, but wasn't sure if they would have 3/8" nosing. I bought quite a bit of 3/4" nosing from them in the past, and they were MUCH cheaper than anywhere else I could find.

post #284 of 1177 Old 03-06-2013, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The flooring is glue down. Lumber liquidators website only shows white oak bullnose in 3/4" but maybe that will be workable... Thanks for the tips. I'll do some figuring.

post #285 of 1177 Old 03-06-2013, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Careful of the riser heights. IIRC, code allows for no more than 3/8" difference between steps.

post #286 of 1177 Old 03-06-2013, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

mathtime... skip ahead if I bother you.

The target height for the landing is right at 14 1/4" See photo. I'm planning to tear up the tread here and match up the height with the new flooring/landing. I'll have to do something creative, but I'm not sure what yet. I hope this exercise will make the answer clear.

Subtract out 3/8" for the existing floor, glued to the concrete, which I won't be removing. New target=13 7/8. One 2x12 (11 1/2") floor joist leaves me with 2 3/8" Two layer of 3/4" subfloor is goof for 1 1/2" and the new flooring on top is another 3/8". That leaves 1/2 difference. doublecheck: 11.5 (joist) + 1.5 (double subfloor) + 0.375 (new floor) = 13.375

So what do I do about the 1/2" difference? I could cut it from the stringer after I pull up the old tread, but that leaves the last step to be 1/2 taller than the others, which even if code allows, I'd prefer to avoid. I suppose the solution is another 1/2" layer of sheet goods - or since the real target is just a fuzz short of 14 1/4, the big-box standard 7/16 OSB could be the best fit.

(EDIT: my blind figuring about these dimensions continues for a few more posts, based on the erroneous conception that a 2x12 is 11.5 inches wide. It's not. It's 11.25)

post #287 of 1177 Old 03-06-2013, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

hmm... that neglects the area where the old tread comes out. The old tread is 1", so in that small area, 3/8 flooring plus 7/16 OSB is not going to make the inch that the tread uses now. I think I'll have to trim down the stringer and continue the double (triple) subfloor into that area.

post #288 of 1177 Old 03-06-2013, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

None of this presents a convenient way to work in 3/4" bullnose instead of 3/8 does it? I was hoping that a 3/8 layer would be needed somewhere and I could just leave it out for the area under the bullnose. drat.

post #289 of 1177 Old 03-06-2013, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Fred, I can't figure out what you're saying. A sketch would help!

If you have ~14" height difference.. then I assume you have a step in the middle. Can't you just make the riser whatever you want and adjust the height of the middle step to compensate?

Tim

ICC Certified.

||
||
||

post #290 of 1177 Old 03-06-2013, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred View Post

Two days in a row! (okay this is not a picture of my progress - you'll just have to take my word for it this time.)

Your progressing so fast that you have gone Plaid!

Oh and I have skipped the math part, math is not my strong suit. I leave all of my math for aaustin. biggrin.gif

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #291 of 1177 Old 03-06-2013, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The missing piece here, I think, Tim, is that I want the riser in the theater to match the landing for the stairs. If you remember a year or two ago ( wink.gif ) I decided to move the door to the base of the stairs, and that required a new landing.

I have a drawing for you, but I've included in it a layer I may not need - the PT 2x4. In exchange I've changed the 2x12 joist I had been planning to a 2x10. I haven't rerun the numbers to see where that ends up.

Thanks for helping!

(Edit: two days later, I went back and posted more clear information about what this conversation is working to accomplish. You can see that post here. And you can see the post Tim refers to where he found context to help me here.

post #292 of 1177 Old 03-06-2013, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

Your progressing so fast that you have gone Plaid!

Careful! When I come screeching to a halt, don't be in the way!

post #293 of 1177 Old 03-06-2013, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Okay... I looked at post #130 and I see what you are talking about.

Basically you just need the finish floor height to be the same as the current tread height ±3/8".

So with your 3/8" finish flooring you could use just about anything. If you ran a layer of 3/4" ply on top of the stringer and then the flooring over that, you are at 1-1/8", which you yield a riser 1/8" less that the others. Chances are if you measure the existing risers you will find that variation already exists.

The steps down from the riser can be whatever they have to be.. at that point they are technically a second stair so the risers can change.. just keep them equal in that run.

ICC Certified.

||
||
||

post #294 of 1177 Old 03-06-2013, 05:43 PM
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:

Nice drawing Fred. This was EXACTLY what I was going to do when I had my theater door at the bottom of my basement steps so there would be one continuous plane onto my theater riser. The platform would also extend to the opposite hallway wall (another 3 feet wide) to be considered a proper landing before stepping down the one final step onto the real floor level just above the concrete.

I have only two comments on your drawing. First is on the "new floor in place of old tread"....whatever the height is between the top of one step and the top of the next step is the target height between the "new floor" and the height of the first tread heading up the steps within 3/8". Some inspectors will allow up to 3/4" height difference for the first step only, but keep that in mind.

And second, you don't necessarily need to build your riser on PT 2x4 unless you are using it for height. You could literally use pink sill gasket (comes in a big roll) with standard lumber or even upgrade your construction and go for the joist isolators from the Soundproofing Company http://www.soundproofingcompany.com/soundproofing-products/soundproofing-accessories/joist-isolators/ Or to save on material there's always the option of building the perimeter with 2x10, 2x12 or whatever height is needed and then filling the infield with 2x6 joists 12" OC with joist hangers.

Just a few thoughts.

post #295 of 1177 Old 03-06-2013, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

You'd have to make up the height difference, which I believe is 12-1/8".

Tim

ICC Certified.

||
||
||

post #296 of 1177 Old 03-06-2013, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post

Or to save on material there's always the option of building the perimeter with 2x10, 2x12 or whatever height is needed and then filling the infield with 2x6 joists 12" OC with joist hangers.

Just a few thoughts.

^^^this biggrin.gif

Doing it that way allows you to take out any unevenness in the concrete floor, and also allows for any bows in the lumber. Trying to lay the joists directly onto the floor (or onto a sleeper onto the floor) is usually an exercise in futility.

Tim

ICC Certified.

||
||
||

post #297 of 1177 Old 03-06-2013, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So here's the way to get the right height. The catch is the materials.

For the 5/8 layer, the only thing I've found is this which is $6.50 for 8 sq feet - only 1/4 of a normal sheet. So it costs a lot more than 3/4 subfloor. Plus, 5/8 is the "Assembled height" product thickness is 0.5938 or 19/32. I suppose that's close enough, but it aggravates me. Does anyone know of a cost-effective true 5/8" solution?

Thanks for all your help guys.

post #298 of 1177 Old 03-06-2013, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Tim View Post

You'd have to make up the height difference, which I believe is 12-1/8".

Tim
So this gives me a top tread 1/8 higher than currently, but that's pretty close, and within code. Would that be your choice?

Making up the 12 1/8 is still the hard part. 11.5 for a 2x12, then 5/8 from my magic hat!

post #299 of 1177 Old 03-07-2013, 02:55 AM
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:

So this gives me a top tread 1/8 higher than currently, but that's pretty close, and within code. Would that be your choice?

Making up the 12 1/8 is still the hard part. 11.5 for a 2x12, then 5/8 from my magic hat!

I'd go with a single vertical piece of lumber, such as the 2x12, and make up any height deficiencies with one extra layer of sheet material. It nothing else it will make your landing feel even more solid.

EDIT: There should be 5/8" OSB (actually 19/32") readily available in 4x8 sheets at the big box stores.

post #300 of 1177 Old 03-07-2013, 03:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, I would go with the two layers of 3/4". In nominal terms the difference is 1/8". Since plywood is not actually 3/4", when you multiple that by two layers, you are actually less than 1/8" off.

As TMcG suggested, I would just shim up the 2x12. Get a few precuts of 5/8 ply and rip some strips to support the 2x12. I would put some poly or roofing paper between the strips and the floor for good measure.

Tim

ICC Certified.

||
||
||

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Pioneer Electronics , Sherbourn , Dayton Audio Um18 22 18 Ultimax Dvc Subwoofer 2 Ohms Per Coil

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page