Forum Jump: 
 17Likes

post #721 of 1179 Old 08-25-2013, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Are you planning to carpet the riser? How much space are you leaving between the top of the riser and the hardwood outside the room? Or am I remembering the layout wrong?

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1179 Old 08-26-2013, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 213
You're remembering right, if I understand what you're getting at. The question is, "if the subfloor through the doorway is the same height, will the finished flooring match up?"

The answer to that is, "I don't know."

How much height of carpet and pad can you tuck under a threshold? I was assuming that the difference between carpet inside and 3/8 hardwood on the outside could just be absorbed and overlooked.

Do I need to go ahead and pick a carpet?
post #723 of 1179 Old 08-26-2013, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 304
The pad would not get tucked under the threshold, only the carpet. The pad would stop with the carpet tack strip which will sit about 3/8" off the threshold. The carpet then goes over the tack strip and can be tucked underneath if you router and edge underneath to accommodate carpet.

3/8" gap will work for almost all carpets, fyi, so you don't need to pick out a carpet now. Worst case scenario and you simply butt the carpet against the threshold. You'll never see the edge.
post #724 of 1179 Old 08-26-2013, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Yep, that's what I was wondering. I was planning to leave 3/4" between my subfloor and the finished floor height. The subfloor in my house is all the same height, but the room with carpet and the rooms with wood all come out even at the doors. I was just wondering if there's a rule of thumb for that sort of thing.

post #725 of 1179 Old 08-26-2013, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

That's what I was hoping. It's funny - I've spent so long getting this space ready. Now that I'm getting on towards applying finishes and everything starts to take shape, the budget comes into clearer focus and the timeline contracts. My wife is pushing for finishing by Halloween - I don't know how to break it to her. Just buying all the big ticket items between now and then would be a challenge, financially if not logistically. Carpet, seating, projector, screen, and lighting - plus paint and wall materials (reclaimed wood). I've realized that I can't finish the riser steps until I've settled on seating, but I'm glad to put off carpet shopping a few more weeks.
post #726 of 1179 Old 08-26-2013, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred View Post

That's what I was hoping. It's funny - I've spent so long getting this space ready. Now that I'm getting on towards applying finishes and everything starts to take shape, the budget comes into clearer focus and the timeline contracts. My wife is pushing for finishing by Halloween - I don't know how to break it to her. Just buying all the big ticket items between now and then would be a challenge, financially if not logistically. Carpet, seating, projector, screen, and lighting - plus paint and wall materials (reclaimed wood). I've realized that I can't finish the riser steps until I've settled on seating, but I'm glad to put off carpet shopping a few more weeks.

No kidding! A few weeks ago I started thinking about what was left to finish the room, and I realized that with several good weekends I could be getting close to finishing (not that I will actually get those weekends, but anyway). Then I started thinking about all the costs left. I think seating and carpet are probably the most expensive items remaining, and then there's the screen, PJ, acoustic treatments, and the AVR. I thought I was done, and then I realized I need nine speakers.......... Oh my aching wallet! smile.gif I hadn't stopped to think about how the cost of the theater would be rear-loaded so to speak.

Have you started looking at seating? I got a quote from Roman a while back, and of course I want the most expensive set of seats smile.gif

post #727 of 1179 Old 08-26-2013, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've only browsed. I think I need to call Roman as well. I felt awkward about calling for quotes and help when I wasn't ready to purchase, plus I have only recently conceded that I will spring for purpose-built home theater recliners - probably with power recline and everything.

I just need to find the smallest I can. The narrowest I've seen for three with arms is around 91" and a couple in the mid 90's. since wall to wall right now is 141", that leaves right at two feet for each aisle. So I have to be careful with that dimension, and hopefully someone familiar with the whole product category can find me a few options to choose among.
post #728 of 1179 Old 08-26-2013, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

I sent Roman an email months ago, and just made it clear that I was still in the design phase, but wanted to get an idea for budgeting. He's super responsive!

post #729 of 1179 Old 08-26-2013, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I have a somewhat narrow space to work with for the chairs as well. The jive 1013 are 109" for 4 chairs in the love seat config which you can add an extra middle armrest to. This is tempting for the width restricted and it has power recline.

If you are looking for three chairs then it is 87.5 which is probably about the narrowest you will find for a good quality chair.

However, I had a chance to go to a friends house last week who just got his theater up and running with the tribute 1015's. The footprint is bigger but it adds an adjustable headrest which I found to be invaluable when you are leaning back really far and want to be able to see the screen while still relaxing. This has thrown quite a monkey wrench into my own decision making.

I can tell you that the chairs seem to be well constructed and the power recline works as advertised. The USB hookups are pretty sweet as well. The trays are functional and are easy stored in the armrest. He did not opt for the more
Expensive slanted aluminum tray commonly used for iPad control
Systems so I can't comment on that but it is something I am interested in if I go the iRule route. My friend did a demo of his iRule system for me and it was pretty slick.

I am struggling myself with how small of an aisle I can get away with. I can fit 4 chairs in (1013's) but it takes the aisle down to 24". Kinda narrow if you ask me.
post #730 of 1179 Old 08-26-2013, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey Grant, thanks for the model numbers! I'll do some more looking into those and probably make a call this week.

I'm just nervous about having a 24" aisle. Wider folks will feel cramped I'm sure, but there's not much I can do other than skip arm rests or drop down to four seats (2 per row). And then the soffits and wall mounted speakers encroach even more. Neither idea is very appealing, but I think I'd prefer to skip an armrest if that doesn't mean giving up power recline. (I feel silly saying that, but I know power recline is one of those features that everyone will understand to be a premium feature. My friends won't look at waveguides or bass traps and think, "you really went all out! No wonder this took so long.")
post #731 of 1179 Old 08-26-2013, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I think 24" would be about as narrow as I would go but I think it still works fine. I definitely wouldn't lose a seat in order to make it wider. Have you tried mocking up an aisle in your family room by sliding an extra chair 24" from the wall to see how it feels?

My end seats are 28" from the wall, but I have a 26" pinch point where I approach the aisle around a column. It doesn't feel cramped since I only need to squeeze from mid-thigh down into that 26". The available space for my arms and shoulders is much more than that since they can swing freely over the armrest of the end seat. Unless the majority of your guests look like this guy, I think you'll be fine, but try mocking an aisle up in your family room and see how it feels.

post #732 of 1179 Old 08-26-2013, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Spaceman, and nice self portrait. wink.gif

Roman just told me the same thing, more or less. He would consider 24" a safe minimum.

I was pleasantly surprised yesterday after I got the riser roughed in at the size of the riser and the clearance under the soffit. It will pinch a little more as the drywall goes up on the soffits and the subfloor gets built up, but I think I've left myself enough space in general by sticking with general best practices - so that makes me more confident in this rule of thumb as well.

That said, I'm still going to consider some love seat chair combinations with removable armrests for the love seats. That configuration can save another six inches on the total width, at the cost of just under $100 for the accessory.
post #733 of 1179 Old 08-26-2013, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I have a 25" aisle in my room and no issues!

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #734 of 1179 Old 08-26-2013, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So, I've worked through some priorities with the Mrs. and we've almost come to a decision. I'm going to hold off saying what's leading for now. We've decided that the pricing is not really a concern (keep telling yourself that) and we should pick whatever will be most attractive and comfortable. I only showed her Fusion collection seats, since the pricing and quality passed my initial sniff test and she doesn't have patience for all the comparison shopping. The Escapes would be really hard to fit in the room, so we concentrated on the other three designs which can all be configured to fit pretty well. Ultimately, this will be a personal decision, I suppose, but we're left with a couple unknowns that a forum search wasn't resolving. Pictures are (in order) Lagoon, Jive, and Tribute.

First, does anyone know if there is any appreciable comfort difference among the designs? I've read somewhere (BIG?) that the Escapes are firmer than average, and I believe since all the seats in the Fusion collection have the same coil spring design they will all be about the same firmness. Can anyone comment on the relative comfort of the designs - aside from the effect the various dimensions and proportions have on a person fitting the chair?

Second, and similarly, what about the coverings? Roman seems confident that most people will not realize the bonded leather is not traditional "real" leather. The cost difference is not very much ($70/seat), but with the "top grain leather" option, you're really getting a leather/vinyl combo - as some of the surfaces are not covered with leather, even though all the actual seating surfaces are. Can anyone offer a first hand comparison? For the price difference, I sort of want the upgrade, but I'm a little worried that the different areas will be visibly different.

Third, my notes from my phone conversation are lacking about headrests. I see that Jive lists a headrest with some kind of adjustment and Tribute has a different kind of adjustment. It doesn't look like Lagoon has any adjustment. Any comparisons or comments?

The last issue we'll have to settle on will probably be more personal, but I'm open to feedback here as well. She wants to have a love seat configuration or no arm rests at all for at least one set of seats. With any of the seats but Jive, we'll need to eliminate at least one armrest to make them fit nicely (to my standards anyway). So how about a simple list for comparison of possible options. We'll buy enough removable armrests to fill all the holes, so there is always that option for us and our guests, depending on the mood. The removable armrests have a couple minor drawbacks in that they are not the same height as the built in armrests, and they take away from seat cushion width - but at 23 inches or more, the cushions are already wide enough (I was surprised to find that the seat cushions on the sofa in the living room are about that wide).

A:
|OO|O|
|OO|O|

B:
|OO|O|
|O|OO|

C:
|OO|O|
|OOO|

D:
|OOO|
|OOO|

E: (Jive Only)
|O|O|O|
ANY

Maybe I should start a new thread to get wider attention, but I'm sure there are plenty of lurking readers who have experience with some of this, right? Or at least someone with an opinion?
post #735 of 1179 Old 08-26-2013, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

You might find this thread informative. Despite the title, various members have posted impressions of the different fusion seats (not just the Lagoon seats). There are impressions ranging from comfort for different height people to how well they work as an extra bed when needed.

A couple things I "think" I remember from that thread. The bonded leather is not as shiny as the leather/vinyl combo. I think I'm leaning towards the bonded leather for that reason alone. I believe all the seats use the same density foam. IIRC, the Jive has an "articulated" headrest which I think just refers to the shape of the headrest. I don't think it's actually adjustable. I believe there are some posts about that towards the end of the thread I linked above. The Tribute's headrest I believe can actually be adjusted to your liking. Not sure if it can be moved up and down, or if it's just the "incline" so that your head is pointed towards the screen instead of the ceiling when reclined.

Also, I'm not sure how tall you are, so I don't know if back height could be an issue or not.

And a question, if you go with the removable armrest, where is the recline control located?

post #736 of 1179 Old 08-26-2013, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post

Also, I'm not sure how tall you are, so I don't know if back height could be an issue or not.

And a question, if you go with the removable armrest, where is the recline control located?
I felt sure there had been conversations about this stuff - thanks for the link.

I'm almost 6' tall, but a lot of my friends and family are in the 5' to 5' 5" range. Not too many over 6'.

I asked about the power functions for a love seat, and I the answer was that the switch could go on either side. So, where does it go when there is no arm for the center seat? I don't know. The story is that all the seats are power, and the configuration sheets show a sofa configuration |OOO|, so I don't know how those two ideas are compatible.
post #737 of 1179 Old 08-26-2013, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The story is that all the seats are power, and the configuration sheets show a sofa configuration |OOO|, so I don't know how those two ideas are compatible.
Here is how those two statements are compatible.
Quote:
The power recline controls on the armless pieces will be on the right side of the seating cushion (when you sit in the chair), and you will need to slide your hand between the seats and push the button there.

This may not be available on all the seats - I think the one exception is the Escape, which I don't want anyway.

Thanks again for the link, J_P_A - it has consumed my evening. smile.gif
post #738 of 1179 Old 08-26-2013, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

The Jive's headrest is not adjustable.

The Tribute's are manually adjustable. It is done fairly easily just by reaching back on the headrest. I was not considering the Tribute until trying out my friends. When leaning back in the chair there becomes a point at which you will have to strain your neck to see the bottom of the screen if the headrest is not adjustable. My friends screen is similar to most as far as how far it is from the floor. Of course, the Tribute's are wider chairs so I am conflicted to be sure.

There is also the issue of 3 chairs having more of a sweet spot. On the other hand four chairs is better for couples.......but only 24'' for an aisle...........I need to do the experiment as Spaceman suggested.

Roman also told me that the bonded leather is less reflective which is a selling point for me. I am not sure if there is a difference in durability. That would be a concern of mine. On the other hand no chair is going to stand up to a pair of scissors being wielded by a 2 year old. Don't worry the 2 year old is fine but our weeks old sectional is sadly worse for the wear. Note to self, no scissors in the theater room.
post #739 of 1179 Old 08-26-2013, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes - the headrest descriptions were tough for me to decode, but you're right.

Grant if you haven't waded through the thread J_P_A linked, you're missing most of the posts about the fusion line of chairs, I think. Like this one about durability of the coverings - including response to scissors.

I'm leaning toward the bonded as well.
post #740 of 1179 Old 08-27-2013, 03:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I vote for B.

I also vote that nobody will care what fabric you have (except you) biggrin.gif

Tim
post #741 of 1179 Old 08-27-2013, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks again for the link, J_P_A - it has consumed my evening. smile.gif

Glad I could provide some reading material to slow your progress. Feels like you are pulling ahead here in the race to finish smile.gif

The middle set of seats catch my eye whenever I look at those images, but I think it may be because they are brown and I think of brown leather when I think steampunk.If I compare the details of A and B, and trying to disregard the color difference, I think the stitching/padding on the back of A looks a little nicer.

I think I like C the best, but I can't decide if it will go with your overall theme well or if it will look a little too modern. I suppose it will depend on the overall aesthetic of your room. For my room, I would probably go with C (cost not a consideration), but at 6'-4" my priorities are likely a little different than yours. I'm looking forward to a seat with an adjustable headrest. My head hangs off the top of our living room couch, and it's annoying when you want to watch a movie.

All that said, I think Mr. Tim is right. We agonize over decisions like this, and I doubt anyone coming to visit for a movie will take much notice. They'll just see a very comfy chair!

post #742 of 1179 Old 08-27-2013, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post

Feels like you are pulling ahead here in the race to the finish.
Merely a clever ruse, but I am trying to push.

I feel the same way about the brown, but I'm not quite settled. It's pretty well down to bonded black or bonded brown - and I'm staying mum on the model still.
post #743 of 1179 Old 08-27-2013, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Good link on the durability of the real vs bonded leather. Complete with scissors test! Maybe I am not the only one with "curious" toddlers.

You mentioned the possibility of going with a larger chair and doing only 2 seats. I would think the three seat config would be nice for you since it gives you a sweet spot. Or maybe the sweet spot is not that big of a deal if calibrated well?

Any thoughts on the adjustable headrest? Is that what you are struggling with? Can you fit 3 of the tributes in there and still have 24"? I am really curious about how much aisle space is actually necessary.
post #744 of 1179 Old 08-27-2013, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I can fit three of any of these options and still have 2 24" aisles, as long as I use at least one love seat.

I find that find that the only one I really like is the jive. The others are okay, and I'd be happy with them, especially because of the adjustable headrest on whichever one that is. So I'm leaning towards 6 jives in bonded leather, brown. Two love seats and two to go with them, for two rows of three, as option B above.
post #745 of 1179 Old 08-27-2013, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Dang it! I knew I should have gone with B! Just like my ACT, I picked C instead, and look where it got me smile.gif

EDIT: I forgot the whole point of this post. I think Roman has mentioned that the shape of the Jive's headrest is intended to prop your head up when reclined. These things are purpose built theater chairs, so you shouldn't have any issues with staring at the ceiling. Obviously I don't have first hand information on that, just what I've read.

post #746 of 1179 Old 08-27-2013, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Amazing job you've done on your home theater! I'm jealous, hopefully the pre-show adds to the mystique. smile.gif
post #747 of 1179 Old 08-28-2013, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Updated plans - a few details.

I'm convinced I want Jives - 6, brown bonded leather. Plus, four matching removable armrests.

|OOO|
|OOO|

This is the smallest configuration Roman can sell with six seats in two rows, but that's not really the motivation. It's also the style I prefer aesthetically and the most versatile for the way I envision using the theater. Mostly, it will realistically be just me and the Mrs - so this way we can spread out however we like. Couples aren't forced to mix and match when guests come over - we could probably even fit four across depending on how cozy those relationships are - and there are arms for anyone who wants them. This configuration is only 76" wide, which gives me lots of room for aisles, and that makes me more comfortable. (140" room width minus 76" seating leaves 64" total, or 2 x 32" aisles) It helps to keep the seating area smaller for hopefully easier calibration as well (that's being silly, but factually true).

I know this is an unusual configuration, so I will call Roman and check to see that he has them, but I'm not ready to buy (financially) even though I don't see myself wavering from this decision.

I've reworked my wiring order to reflect some of the changes that were suggested.

Low Voltage (revised)

Speaker Cables (building myself):
  1. 250ft 4-conductor 14AWG
  2. 150ft 2-conductor 10AWG

This allows me to run a few extra feet to the side surrounds and have extra conductors in place for future arrays. It also assumes I only run one cable to the rear surrounds, grabbing out two conductors for the SBR on the way to the SBL. I'll join conductors on both ends for improved effective AWG for LCR.

XLR Cables (building myself):
  1. 200ft bulk cable
  2. assorted ends and wall plates

This will be enough for two mic cables - one in the stage for Karaoke and one in the front of the riser for a measurement mic - as well as four cables to subs for future potential use. I'll leave those four unterminated for now.

HDMI Cables:
  1. single 25ft cable
  2. single 20ft cable

That's one to the projector from the rack, and one to the rack from the seats.

Network Cable (terminated):
  1. 4 50ft Cat5e
  2. 4 25ft Cat5e
  3. 2 20ft Cat5e
  4. 2 20ft Cat6

This allow for TMcG's suggestion of having the Cat6 as backup for video transmission, plus Cat5e for sub amps and network/data to the projector as well as the screen for IR or whatever else.

I'll order most of this from monoprice, but it looks like they carry neither bulk mic cable (XLR) not 10AWG speaker cable. I'll go to Parts-Express for those. I haven't sourced wall plates and such yet, but it looks like monoprice is probably good for that.
post #748 of 1179 Old 08-28-2013, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Looks good, nice and tidy. Only suggestion would be getting networking into the riser and making sure you have minimum of three Cat wires to the projector - one used for any video transmission like HDBase-T, one for networking / IP control to the projector (if it has IP control) and one for your control system, using Cat-5 for either IR, RS-232 or trigger.

Have you thought about Buttkickers or Aura bass shakers as a future add-on? If so, you can get away with 14 gauge wire given your short run length. The unfortunate thing is that there is some weird electrical phenomenon associated with connecting only 3 Buttkickers to an amp (one of your full rows) and therefore it is not recommended. You'd have to go 2-2-2 or 4-2 to get all seats with good results.

It's nice to see you making steady progress! Keep up the great work!
post #749 of 1179 Old 08-28-2013, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post

Looks good, nice and tidy
It's nice to see you making steady progress! Keep up the great work!
Thanks, TMcG! I'm certainly glad to be making steady progress. Speaking of that, we got some more soffit work done today. I think after all the worry over having space for the plenum I built to fit inside the soffit next to the drain plumbing, the flex duct squeezes in there pretty reasonably. I need to get the air handler up and running so I can see how it all blows. We added a layer of OSB (clearing out all my excess) and a layer of drywall on the face of the soffits only (not the bottoms which are still open for wiring and ducting). I'm hoping to get an experienced set of hands (my father-in-law) out this weekend to help get some serious framing work done. I still have to reconfigure the stair landing and frame the outside riser, as well as frame in the equipment closet. Once that's done, it's all electronics and finishing (with some drywall and plumbing mixed in).

I've thought about the buttkickers, and I know some people really like them. Honestly, I sort of feel like it's a cheat - which isn't a judgement on those who use them - so I would like to just get sufficient LFE to be satisfied. I know that sounds judgmental and elitist. That's not how I mean it. I'm just looking for the purest of reproduction capabilities. Does that mean that I won't run any extra wire to the seats just in case? No, if I have it I absolutely will. smile.gif

Just for clarity, the 50ft network cables are to be distributed: 4 to stage as 2 for subs and 2 for whatever else (IR, masking control?). The 25 ft cables: 4 to the riser as 2 for subs and 2 for whatever else (routed to wall plates near seats). All the 20ft cables route to the projector.
TMcG likes this.
post #750 of 1179 Old 08-28-2013, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Obviously the vision I have in my head of what your theater will look like is probably way off from what you have in mind, but never mind that for now. That color brown fits very well with what I envision in your theater. The only way it would be better is if it had some buckles on it smile.gif

A couple things for your cabling come to mind.

• Have you considered a USB cable to the riser. Seems like one of the REW threads in the Audio Theory forum recommends a USB mic for easy setup. If you've already got a mic, then it's probably a non-issue.
  • Do you need any IR blasters in the room? IIRC you are putting your GE in the equipment closet, so you may not need it.
  • Are you planning a network drop in your riser?

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Pioneer Electronics , Sherbourn , Dayton Audio Um18 22 18 Ultimax Dvc Subwoofer 2 Ohms Per Coil

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page