Forum Jump: 
 12Likes

post #991 of 1159 Old 02-19-2014, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 187
That's on the list of things to consider, but I was hoping to find a shorter-term option. Potentially a loan against a retirement account... I'm new to this sort of thing, despite owning two mortgages and having financed two new car purchases.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1159 Old 02-20-2014, 06:13 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The expedience part is your problem- I've found that working at a snail's pace helps me not notice the costs as much smile.gif
post #993 of 1159 Old 02-20-2014, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Right. wink.gif

It's just time to start enjoying a theater instead of talking about one.
post #994 of 1159 Old 02-20-2014, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 205
HF, I feel for you, bud! I'm in a similar situation. I've been planning a HT for so long that I'm truly over the "journey" and I'm just ready to be at the destination. I like DIY as much as the next guy (well, probably a lot more), but if I could write a check to DE to have this done, I wouldn't think twice.

As far as financing goes, an equity line of credit was my first thought as well. I think you can still write-off the interest on your income taxes whereas something like a credit card or signature loan you can't. Of course, the downside to that is pretty obvious.

If you're thinking credit card, then I would highly recommend getting a card that gives you points towards something you'll use. Maybe a Best Buy card or something like that. I have a Bass Pro card, and I haven't paid for socks, underwear, T-shirts, or ammo in ages. I've seen another thread where the builder used a card with points as well. The downside here is the interest rate.

The last time I checked (which was quite a while ago), I couldn't get a loan against an IRA because its value fluctuates depending on the market. It was too fluid for the bank to use it as collateral.

That said, I've been taking the tons of OT approach to financing my theater. Partially by choice, partially not, that's just how it's worked out. The good part is that I'm not paying interest. The bad part is I don't have time to actually work on my theater. It's a bit discouraging.

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
post #995 of 1159 Old 02-20-2014, 11:52 AM
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 239
I feel for you Fred (and JPA!). I think most of us are in the same boat with clandestine "man stashes" long-evaporated and a complex assortment of never-ending priorities. I made a similar "finishing list" budget and nearly fell out of my seat when I totaled the spreadsheet. What I have left to spend (almost $26k eek.gif) was once my entire theater budget!! Add in the fact that I'm finishing out a nearly 2000 square foot basement entirely from cash reserves and it's just depressing when contemplating the financial mountain I have yet to climb (finish climbing?) to start "living the dream"...*sigh*....

If it's any consolation, I think you are doing a fantastic job with the work you've done so far and are to be commended for your build efficiency (materials, not time! tongue.gif ).
post #996 of 1159 Old 02-20-2014, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Now I'm feeling guilty and wondering how much I wasted!

Since I've semi-completed my room, finding just how much a money pit these rooms can be. Just recently, my wife has been questioning what I plan to do and how much it will cost. Not once did she question my expenditures until recently......

It all adds up quick and I respect what Fred, JPA and TMcG have done.........you guys are like the Three Musketeers! biggrin.gif

This is a great place to confide with those who are/ have gone through the process. Fred you have been very helpful to me and if I can be of help I would do so in a minute.

Just to let you know, I have 20 to 25 pieces of five foot long fabric channels left over due to being cheaper to buy 1000 linear feet than buy what I needed. If those channels can be of help I can check and see status ie. how many are left, send to you on my dime.........

Just let me know......
post #997 of 1159 Old 02-21-2014, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the feedback and support guys! I'll keep you posted.
post #998 of 1159 Old 03-02-2014, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Helping my sister move some stuff today, we needed to remove from storage a couple old trunks. She has use for one, in reasonable condition - but this other is in poorer shape and has no immediate purpose. I think I want to cannibalize it for pieces to apply to my subwoofers. Thoughts? Should I be taking it to the antiques roadshow? I already determined that there was no bag of cash hiding in it, and no false bottom - so I don't think it's of any real value.

and a picture of a sub as they currently are, for reminder
post #999 of 1159 Old 03-02-2014, 04:51 PM

I think that would be a great look, though I don't know how you would be able to cannibalize the trunk to fit your sub enclosure. May be easier to take the steamer trunk design elements and translate them to the sub enclosure with new (or vintage) materials - like old belts, etc.
post #1000 of 1159 Old 03-02-2014, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The leather work is the weakest (literally) component of the old trunk. What I really want is the brass - especially the corners. I think I can cut it up and drill out the rivets from the inside, and then come up with some new fasteners. The handles would be a nice touch, but that leather is too rotten, so I'd have to find someone to help me with new leather, I think.
post #1001 of 1159 Old 03-03-2014, 06:04 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 533
you can buy corner protectors for under $20 for a set, What could you get for the trunk from an interior decorator?

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/PENN-ELCOM-C1819K-/555-13344
post #1002 of 1159 Old 03-03-2014, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 93
I'd start here before ripping that thing apart.
post #1003 of 1159 Old 03-03-2014, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

What do you guys think the trunk is worth? It looks to me like the parts I would take from it would cost me $75 or more.
post #1004 of 1159 Old 03-03-2014, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 94
post #1005 of 1159 Old 03-16-2014, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

There were a couple guys from an antiques auction by the house a few days ago to pick up some of my sister's stuff, and I asked them about the trunk. They were immediately of the same mind, that it wasn't worth talking about - if it had been "x" or "y" it could be worth a few hundred dollars, but it wouldn't be worth more than $30-$40 at auction. Freed by their assessment, I went to town with a circular saw and a reciprocating saw.

I cut out all 8 corners without significant damage to any of the other pieces.

I learned a lot about how trunks are built. They're thin boards, assembled with brads. Inside lined with fabric, obviously. Outside covered in some kind of paper, I think. The leather was both glued and tacked, with real square tacks. The corners are also both glued and riveted, with real two-piece rivets. The rivets are steel, with brass caps.

The corners are pretty significantly rounded. I haven't yet looked into how I will make the radius of the cap match the edges of the sub cabinet. Not sure if a roundover on the cab is a better choice than leather to match the original trunk assembly.

post #1006 of 1159 Old 03-18-2014, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Perhaps you could make a couple of templates that would help you round the corners. One would be the profile of the corner between two adjacent sides, and the other would be the profile directly across the corner itself. Then you work your way down with a belt sander, checking your progress as you go.

Some play dough would help in making the profiles by copying what the brass corners look like on the inside...

Bryan
post #1007 of 1159 Old 03-18-2014, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

I take it there is something odd about the radius on the edge of the trunk so that you can't use a standard round over in your router? From the pictures it looks like you could just round over all the the edges using a bit with the same radius and those corners would fit.

post #1008 of 1159 Old 03-18-2014, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm sure I could find the right roundover - I may have it already. I'm just mulling over the aesthetic considerations.

I like the trunk hardware, but I don't think I want it (the subs) to fully look like a trunk, (plus I have never worked with leather) so the leather straps to pad out the corner may not be my favorite choice. I could, as you said, round over all the edges to match the corners, or do it like Bryan suggested, by hand, or I could just round over the corner areas to allow the brass to fit down tight, or ...?
post #1009 of 1159 Old 03-18-2014, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Ah, I gotcha. I'll sit back and watch, then. I'm pretty well hopeless at this part.

post #1010 of 1159 Old 03-18-2014, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Wait, I I've got an idea. What about one of those leather/suede faux finishes? Obviously it doesn't look like real leather, but it might give the aesthetic you're looking for.

Ok, carry on smile.gif

post #1011 of 1159 Old 03-30-2014, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm continuing working, at a snail's pace. That's the pace that is allowed when I work only by myself, and only with materials on hand. Over the past week or two, I made sure that all the wiring in the riser was in place and the conduits were set (though it occurs to me now that I should have made sure the PVC pipe joints were all glued - I hope none come apart). Since I had plenty of 3/4" T&G subfloor on hand, I have made use of that.

The riser is decked with the first of three layers. I'll probably be better if I have help for the next two layers, as they will get green glue. The outer two joist bays are filled with sand - and you can immediately tell the difference in sound when you walk on it. The center 6 feet or so is all open (joists hang from rim) and have a single layer of R13 insulation on hangers. In theory, I can cut open some vents for bass trapping if I need to.

You can see in this picture that I have LV wires protruding out the front - one HDMI, two cat5e, and one mic cable. You can also see an additional conduit for future wires (to the left in the image). The step lights are wired and in place, and the outlets for power (mostly for the seats) are roughed in, both in the front face of the riser and in the deck for under the second row. In the corners, you can see the rough in for more power - those two outlets are on the same 20Amp circuit - as well as the 10AWG cable for the subs and some more cat cable and conduit for just in case.

You can also see evidence of further progress. The subfloor on the riser outside the theater entrance is much higher at this point - it has all three layers of subfloor installed, bringing it up to within a half inch or so of the finished height. You can also see the HDMI, two cat5e, and one cat6 cables hanging from the face of the soffit, waiting for a projector.
post #1012 of 1159 Old 03-30-2014, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I forgot - I wanted to get a sub up and running, so I did.

I'm using one of the 3cuft flat packs I bought as the kit from PE. I didn't have any terminals or anything, so I just made it happen - for now anyway.

I'm powering it from 1 channel of the Sherbourn PA 7-150. Obviously, 150W is well short of the intended amplification (about 900W), but that's only 8 dB or so, so it's fine for listening to music while I work. It rattles the house pretty well. smile.gif
post #1013 of 1159 Old 03-30-2014, 05:19 PM

Nice progress. Fred! You've really come a long way. I can't wait to see how you execute on the steam punk design theme....it seems like you are close to that stage.

By the way - what sub driver is that?
post #1014 of 1159 Old 03-30-2014, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Tim - I'm close to starting some design elements, but at this rate, close could be several months, easily... I hope I can get some momentum back up here.

The sub is the Dayton UM15-22 - 15" dual voice coil (2x2Ohm) - the little brother of the 18" that has been so anticipated and delayed. Interestingly, the 15 is currently out of stock - I wonder if they've decided to implement the redesign elements that went into the 18 and caused its delay.
post #1015 of 1159 Old 03-30-2014, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Looks great, Fred! It must be nice to have the decking down so you have somewhere to step now.

There are times when I think Tony123 had the right idea when it came to progress. Tony's approach was to hang the PJ first, watch movies when he wanted, and make progress when he felt like it......yeah, seems like a pretty good way to do things in hind sight.

post #1016 of 1159 Old 03-31-2014, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Tony is a wise man, but I'm afraid I lack his fortitude. As much as it wears on my and my wife to have the basement a construction zone, I know she would hate it if I had her traipsing through it to go watch movies.
post #1017 of 1159 Old 04-01-2014, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Riser's looking great Fred.. Out of curiousity, why 3 layers on the riser instead of the standard 2?

I'm in the same boat as you when it comes to working by myself since I relocated. It takes a while to develop friendships where you can say.. "Stop by tomorrow buddy and we can hang 30 sheets of drywall" . What aggravates me the most is that I have 2 perfectly healthy teenage boys, but they dont want to get involved in anything you cant put wax or makeup on...smile.gif

My Basement HT Construction ~ Faster than the speed of Dark

"I've cut that piece 3 times and its still too short..."
post #1018 of 1159 Old 04-01-2014, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Three layers makes the right riser height, so that it matches the stairs outside. Extra subfloor seemed easier and higher performance than trying to shim up or rip down some other size.
post #1019 of 1159 Old 04-01-2014, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Note to self: rewire the sub. 1ohm is not the proper impedance... Duh.
post #1020 of 1159 Old 04-01-2014, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 47
1 ohm is the proper impedence if your amp can handle it!
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Pioneer Electronics , Sherbourn , Dayton Audio Um18 22 18 Ultimax Dvc Subwoofer 2 Ohms Per Coil

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page