AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 1179
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred View Post
This just happened.
It's not much, but it happened. I also ordered the light sockets I will need from Lowe's to build my fixtures.

Still waiting for the EP4000 to go on better sale.
I hate to bring this up but perhaps these: http://www.parts-express.com/neutrik...mount--092-054

The round ones I find a lot easier to install. Not only do they have a lot more edge to make an air tight seal, it's a lot easier to cut circles than squares if you want to recess them.

Like I did here:AE TD15M + SEOS15 + DNA360 (active crossover) Need advice pls... :)

The square little ones are ok, so use em if you got em'

But if you had a choice, the circles I prefer.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2015, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
The round ones I find a lot easier to install. Not only do they have a lot more edge to make an air tight seal, it's a lot easier to cut circles than squares if you want to recess them.
pfft..

Old 01-15-2015, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Yeah,I thought about that, but I'm not worried about the mounting. The "pretty" subs mount on bottom, between the legs, and the "ugly" subs don't matter.

The real reason I picked those is for the set screw wire connection on the back. I couldn't find a round design with that connection.

Last edited by HopefulFred; 01-15-2015 at 09:05 AM.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

That looks like more pain though...

I remember what a mess it was doing the cutouts for my braces:

Not as easy as just hitting it with a quick forstner bit.

Plus I find the circle ones seal up better. Without needing caulk or anything.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0959.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	479898   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0797.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	479906  

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Old 01-15-2015, 09:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Yeah,I thought about that, but I'm not worried about the mounting. The "pretty" subs mount on bottom, between the legs, and the "ugly" subs don't matter.

The real reason I picked those is for the set screw wire connection on the back. I couldn't find a round design with that connection.
Good point. Although the screw in ones really suck. I've had them fail or pull out a couple times, it's mega pain. They are not that secure, even if you tighten them with the hand of god. And it's hard to read which is which and figure it out, get a magnify glass!.

Solder is a pain for about 5 seconds, then it's reliable and done forever. I drill out the hole with a small drill bit, so I can wrap the copper speaker wire and run it through the terminal plate and twist it back into itself, then just cover it over with electrical solder. Result is awesome connection very unlikely to ever fail. The screw down clamp ones are PITA. I got a box of em... If you want some let me know. I think I got about 16 left.

-

Old 01-15-2015, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Probably unrelated, but I want to keep this.http://www.theguardian.com/science/a...harriss-spiral
Old 01-15-2015, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
I hate to bring this up but perhaps these: http://www.parts-express.com/neutrik...mount--092-054

Like I did here:AE TD15M + SEOS15 + DNA360 (active crossover) Need advice pls... :)

The square little ones are ok, so use em if you got em'

But if you had a choice, the circles I prefer.
+1

I used same exact speakon terminal..........prefer due to ease of sealing. No air leaks on all four cabs.
Old 01-15-2015, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here's a bit of trouble. When I placed the order, PE was like, "Here you GO! Everything is in stock and ready to ship!" and I was like "Great, here's my credit card." Then today they were like, "...um so remember when we said everything was in stock? About that..."

The whole reason I went ahead with the subwoofer order, to be honest, was because PE's price on the wire was a little bit less than monoprice's. I am trying to get a few more runs into the soffits so I can be Atmos-ready. I don't need to wait two more months for no reason. Now I have to cancel that part of the order and go to monoprice...
Old 01-15-2015, 06:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I hate that about them. It's BS.
Old 01-15-2015, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Here's a bit of trouble. When I placed the order, PE was like, "Here you GO! Everything is in stock and ready to ship!" and I was like "Great, here's my credit card." Then today they were like, "...um so remember when we said everything was in stock? About that..."

The whole reason I went ahead with the subwoofer order, to be honest, was because PE's price on the wire was a little bit less than monoprice's. I am trying to get a few more runs into the soffits so I can be Atmos-ready. I don't need to wait two more months for no reason. Now I have to cancel that part of the order and go to monoprice...

I know that it may be different down there, but in Canada locally at Home Depot they used to sell spools of FT rated in wall speaker cable quite reasonable. In fact I bought a 1000 ft spool of 12/2 for my HT install.

Al
Old 01-15-2015, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah, Al. They do have it. I went to the websites and priced what I needed from both Lowes and Home Depot just now before I ordered from Monoprice. Lowes didn't have the length I wanted (200ft - I should need about 120 for Atmos) in 14/2 CL2. Home Depot did, but was about twice the cost of Monoprice (about $0.50/ft vs $0.23/ft plus shipping). I could have saved some of the difference by going with regular 16/2, since I think the CL2 rating if a little useless in my application, but I'm trying to do this by the book as much as possible. I probably also could have saved by buying 1 100ft roll and a 25 or something, but I'm sure I'll find good use for any excess eventually. So in 3-5 business days (from tomorrow, I suppose), I should have 2 100ft rolls from Monoprice.
Old 01-15-2015, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Actually, since I have the thread up and running tonight... let me ask the audience: For two rows in a 12x22 room, would you consider 7.1.6 or assume that 7.1.4 was going to be plenty. I think my 200ft of cable would get me either, but I didn't figure 7.1.6 was worth pursuing.

And what's the abbreviated nomenclature for the overheads (per Atmos): Lft, Rft, Lrt, Rrt, and what Lmt, Rmt? (gotta have labels for my cables )
Old 01-15-2015, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Ahh yes, that is where we loose out up here, the shipping for most things within the US is cheaper or even free, try and bring it across the border and look out!

As for the FT rating, I too am a DIY'er and will go by the book when it comes to installing things, even though it is class 2 wiring I want all of my work to be defensible if challenged. (yes just wee bit paranoid some would say.)

Al
Old 01-15-2015, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Fred, my room is 16 x 21 and 2 rows and I am going to provision for 6 overhead speakers as well as front a rear heights... I am looking for a minimum of 9.1.6 (actually 2 DTS-10's)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Atmos_with_2_rows_and_6_overhead_speakers.png
Views:	95
Size:	252.1 KB
ID:	481498  

Al
Old Yesterday, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

PE delivered. Still waiting on Monoprice - estimated for Thursday.

Tags
Pioneer Electronics , Sherbourn , Dayton Audio Um18 22 18 Ultimax Dvc Subwoofer 2 Ohms Per Coil