The Once and Future Theater - Page 45 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 57Likes

post #1321 of 1347 Old 08-13-2015, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1322 of 1347 Old 08-13-2015, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred View Post
Cory, I brought the wood in and it seems to have dried nicely with the AC running and a fan on it.

The question is, what kind of sealer has all three a) sprayable b) tintable or darkens wood c) is flat?
You just need a sealer..................some on market are sprayable............tint can be added at store to mellow tones, but why? You're not working with Hickory were wood tones are to the extreme. Sheen is a problem for me............I prefer wood to look natural. Blldo's recommendation for Danish Oil is a good one...................lot of work, but if wood is not exposed to elements, your best bet.
post #1323 of 1347 Old 08-13-2015, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Here Fred is an example of using Danish Oil on a piece of furniture used outside in Oregon's monsoon elements. Bench has been sitting on front porch last 2-1/2 years........no moisture issues but does need a pressure wash and another hand rub dose of Danish Oil.

In your case, one application indoors and you're good to go. I highly recommend getting water content in wood well below 10% or more if you can. Feeling for dryness is useless.........30% moisture content can look dry to naked eye. You must have a friend or two who owns a moisture meter.......right?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0159.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	192.8 KB
ID:	885090  
post #1324 of 1347 Old 08-13-2015, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have no doubt that danish oil would be a really nice finish, but I can't see spending the time to do it. That's one of the reasons I'm looking for sprayable. Ideally, I'd like to hang the wood first, then just mask off the ceiling and soffit and spray something that will bring the color down a shade or two.
post #1325 of 1347 Old 08-13-2015, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

You're backwards......

Finish wood first then attach to ceiling!
TMcG and BllDo like this.
post #1326 of 1347 Old 08-13-2015, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 377
I think I've got a cheap moisture meter I can send you if you're interested. PM me if you want it.
doublewing11 likes this.

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
post #1327 of 1347 Old 08-14-2015, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post
I think I've got a cheap moisture meter I can send you if you're interested. PM me if you want it.

What I love about this place...........most members are willing to help each other out! Another example of a helpful community!

post #1328 of 1347 Old 08-14-2015, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred View Post

Will work fine.......glad you considered water-based product.

Another option is a satin lacquer finish...........can be sprayed very easily, is quick to dry with 3-5 coats ie 24 hours before handling.......only problem is tinting and expensive for DYI. If you can borrow an airless sprayer then majority of cost is averted but expect to pay $50-60 per gallon for good stuff with catalyst. I suspect you'll need 2-3 gallons. I used 2 gallons for my project.
post #1329 of 1347 Old 08-15-2015, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I made a decision, and a purchase. I took a couple of my boards and my sprayer down to the local fancy woodworking shop and spent a little while talking it over with the finishing guy there.

Acknowledging my expectations for final results as well as my willingness to spend a lot of time (zero), we settled on a gallon of General Finishes Water-based Top Coat https://generalfinishes.com/retail-p...ethane-topcoat and two ounces of cordovan TransTint. http://homesteadfinishingproducts.co...07cordovan.jpg I probably won't mix it strong enough to get the color that dark - we'll see.

I also have Pablo scheduled to come next Saturday to handle the drywall finishing in the theater on the ceiling and soffits. So it'll be two weeks or so until I can get the wood cut and installed, but that'll do fine. Things continue to get pushed out on the calendar, but the overall timeline isn't stretching yet.

I still need to pick paint. I'm a little reluctant to go with black - everything else is browns (haven't shopped for carpet yet either). I'm not sure if I want to have two or more colors for the soffits and ceiling - same or different? dunno yet. Any thoughts?
post #1330 of 1347 Old 08-17-2015, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just a plug for DIYSoundGroup - I know you guys all know this, but it deserves saying. Erich ships a great product at unreasonably good prices. There was a mix up with some of my crossover parts, which is why I waited until this past weekend to assemble them. That's when I found out how crazy easy it is to solder onto a printed circuit board. A monkey could do it - it's awesome.

I won't start building boxes until I get the ceiling and walls taken care of, so I can make sure that my wacky-shaped cabinets are going to fit the way I want them. That should be another two weeks or so, as long as I stay busy in the other things in the meantime.

J_P_A likes this.
post #1331 of 1347 Old 08-18-2015, 03:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 377
The PCB crossovers are certainly worth their weight in gold. Makes the process dead simple.

On a related note, have you seen the adverts for this new steampunk design show on GSN? I think it premieres Wednesday at 10/9c. Might be a good show to get some ideas.

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
post #1332 of 1347 Old 08-18-2015, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post
The PCB crossovers are certainly worth their weight in gold. Makes the process dead simple.

On a related note, have you seen the adverts for this new steampunk design show on GSN? I think it premieres Wednesday at 10/9c. Might be a good show to get some ideas.
GSN?

All I know is ESPN variants, History Channel, Discovery Channel, CNN..........
post #1333 of 1347 Old 08-18-2015, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I didn't realize what GSN was (other than a cable tv channel) until I googled it. I wasn't expecting a reality competition "game show" but it is... in the vein of Top Chef or Project Runway. Might be worth a look - just for fun.

In the meantime, I'll be trying to get the scrap and garbage out of the theater. I have a truck borrowed for Saturday to go to the dump while Pablo gets the drywall mirror smooth.

Last edited by HopefulFred; 08-19-2015 at 03:21 PM.
post #1334 of 1347 Old 08-19-2015, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I just picked paint. I went to Sherwin Williams and spoke with the lady there who seemed (as usual for Sherwin Williams) very knowledgable - she has professional design experience outside of paint. Anyway, on her recommendation I settled on "Black Fox." Katy commented that this color has a good way of bringing together blacks and browns - so it sounds like a good choice.
http://www.sherwin-williams.com/home...rDetails&p=PS0

I suspect it will look a fair amount darker in the low-lit theater. RGB Value: R-78 | G-72 | B-65 and LRV of only 8. The paint itself is flat, Cashmere.

I should be able to roll on two coats in two or three weeks, after Pablo does his magic this weekend and I find some time to spray some drywall primer. Mark your calendars - MOAR painting!
post #1335 of 1347 Old 08-19-2015, 03:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 1974
You need some more pictures in this thread
post #1336 of 1347 Old 08-19-2015, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
You need some more pictures in this thread
Yes, I do. Once I clean the piles of scrap out of the workspace, there will be things worth seeing. Should happen by Sunday - maybe Saturday.

And to you, good sir, I say "You need a thread for your pictures!"

If you keep posting in your "not a build thread" you'll turn it into a build thread.
J_P_A likes this.
post #1337 of 1347 Old 08-19-2015, 03:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 1974
I want to do a proper build thread. Just no time.

Plenty of time still. I'm no where close to even working on a theater. That's next year or after...
post #1338 of 1347 Old 08-22-2015, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Pablo asked me to call him yesterday to confirm (remind?) the work today. I forgot to call him yesterday, so I sent a text early this morning. After 2+ hours with no reply, I called.

"Pablo, can you work today?"
"Oh, not today; maybe next week. I'm in the hospital. I call you - you call me next week."
"Okay; I'll call you next week."

Anyway - I hope he's okay, but it could really be anything.

In any case, I'm off to the dump. The show must go on.
post #1339 of 1347 Old 08-23-2015, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It's funny how sometimes the pictures make the theater look small. It's not big, obviously, at only 12 feet wide - but this picture makes it look small, I think.

There is primer on the walls. Not the ceiling, since Pablo didn't come yesterday.

I started spraying drywall primer (Glidden PVA drywall primer and sealer). That was taking way too long. This corner, the left rear corner, was where I started. I'm not sure you can even tell by the photos, except for the fact that the paint goes all the way to the riser where I sprayed.

This is the other rear corner, where I only rolled. Does this look like it needs another coat - especially given that I won't be painting the final finish?

Tedd likes this.
post #1340 of 1347 Old 08-23-2015, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 142
You will see joint compound through a PVA primer.. especially Glidden. It's just making a good bond with the paint and the drywall.

Tim
post #1341 of 1347 Old 08-23-2015, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Good - because I have no interest in doing that any more than I already have.

On another note - I have an offer in to an ebay seller for a projector - I'll cross my fingers (but not hold my breath).
post #1342 of 1347 Old 08-23-2015, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I started trimming the wall wood with the miter saw, but a couple of the pickets were too wide for the blade. I moved to the table saw (disregarding all safety precautions aside from my own sense) and cut off the ends to make them all square on the ends.

I tried to cut of as little as possible to keep the maximum length. You can see some of these are crumbling and rotten, but they haven't been as bad as I had feared.

This is about a third of the stock I have. It's all I trimmed tonight. If you look closely at the end of the stack by the wall, you can see that some of them are indeed wider than others. I'm still on the "fence" about ripping the wide or warped boards down to match the smaller ones. They can be used at different widths as long as a single column (vertical row) is made from pieces of all the same width. I will wait to see how many of each type there is, and maybe test fit a few against the wall and see what it looks like.

I'll need to spend a few minutes on weeknights this week to make sure I get them all trimmed to length and restacked elsewhere so that Pablo can do the ceiling next Saturday (crosses fingers again).

Last edited by HopefulFred; 08-23-2015 at 05:05 PM.
post #1343 of 1347 Old Today, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

If you plug in and power on a projector with no source connected, you should get some kind of set-up screen shouldn't you?

I can't seem to get an image out of the projector that arrived today from eBay. The seller says the projector was cleaned (it is very clean) and serviced by an authorized Panasonic repair center. It shipped in the original packaging and with the manual, dvd rom and everything.

When I plug it in with no source connected I first use the main power toggle on the back to power it up; the power LED illuminates red, indicating stand-by mode. I then tap the power button on the side of the unit and the power LED changes to green, indicating ON. After a second or two, I hear a click from within the unit, and the fan kicks on. The green LED flashed a few times and the bulb comes on. An Panasonic logo is displayed for only a few seconds. Then the LED goes back to red and the image vanishes as the bulb turns off. The fan cuts off and that's it. From there, I can't get anything else out of it without power-cycling at the main switch. The soft power key is useless, as is the everything else - remote or otherwise.

Did I get hosed?
post #1344 of 1347 Old Today, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 142
I don't think you would get anything unless yo made some keypresses. I had an Optima and there was no setup unless you pressed the setup key on the remote. Otherwise is would blank IIRC.

Try using the power button on the rear (should put the unit in standby, I think) then use the remote to turn it on.

If that doesn't work check the batteries in the remote or if you have a universal remote try that instead. Would be easier to have a remote problem than a projector problem!

Tim
post #1345 of 1347 Old Today, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

If I start from fresh plug-in and use the remote to turn on the unit, it's the same. The remote backlight turns on and the LED goes green. I get the logo for a few seconds, then dark and non-responsive - same as before.

The troubleshooting in the manual says if there is no image: check the input connections and settings, check the brightness, check your source works properly, check the lens cover is off, and the [BLANK] function might be engaged.

I guess I'll drag out the blu-ray player and try with a known-good source.
post #1346 of 1347 Old Today, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The other thing is that when I connect my half-busted old laptop, Windows knows that a panasonic projector is connected (1080p and everything, so I'm sure HDMI board works - at least enough for EDID), but I still get no image.
post #1347 of 1347 Old Today, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

When I connect the Blu-ray player, not only does the unit perform the same, it powers off the player (HDMI CEC is enabled in the player).

So the projector is powering itself down deliberately, it seems - even if erroneously.

I guess I have to send the seller a message and see what's up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Pioneer Electronics , Sherbourn , Dayton Audio Um18 22 18 Ultimax Dvc Subwoofer 2 Ohms Per Coil

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page